Downgrade fairy strikes!

Tina G

Not likely but those are the breaks (positive and negative) when you book a Guarantee. I never do a Guarantee but I select a specific cabin and specify "do not upgrade".

DON

BUT....the guarantee of a certain category means that cat or higher... NOT lower..

So No them those are not the breaks... I would have asked for more

I've actually never had a bad cabin on Princess. I'm on the Plaza deck in a category L, which will be fine. I enjoy the convenience of the Plaza deck, and DH likes to be early in line for dinner. DH can stand for dear husband, or damned husband, depending on my mood. I had just never heard of Princess downgrading anyone before. I'm surprised and a bit offended. Oh, well. 10 days in Alaska for less than $900 pp isn't bad.

Don't be offended with Princess! Your husband downgraded y'all... not Princess. They made the offer which could have been refused. By accepting the offer, you downgraded yourself. They never would have downgraded you without your consent...

I was on a overbooked cruise twice. First time it was a balcony on a 7 day Caribbean cruise from Fort Lauderdale. I was asked if I would take the same ship and itinerary 2 weeks later with an upgrade to a mini suite,and all monies paid credited as an OBC with any $$$ left given back as a check. Result,free cruise anda check for $ 98.

The second time I was booked in a mini suite for a 17 day cruise to Antarctica . I was offered a free 30 day cruise to anywhere I chose in a full suite. I declined because we were psyched on seeing Antarctica. My point is that $50 to change is way to low.

I know a few other substitutes for DH! But honestly, who would know any better unless you were on this forum? If I had got a call I might have thought "I'm not going to be able to get on the cruise" & jumped at anything offered! You learn something new everyday. You can buy a couple of bottles of nice wine to celebrate the fact that at least you are still on the cruise. Have a great trip.

The OP has been on several cruises including Princess. Princess isn't at fault, they (any line) wants to offer the least amount, but her husband is at fault. Blame the correct person.

The OP has been on several cruises including Princess. Princess isn't at fault, they (any line) wants to offer the least amount, but her husband is at fault. Blame the correct person.

I wasn't blaming anyone. I was trying to cheer the OP up and stop her from killing her dh, which some of the above posts might have led her to consider!

OP did not say if the assignments that were turned down were in the booked category or not.

My definition of a J GTY would be any cabin cat. J or better not a downgrade for $50. What is yours??

You missed the point. The OP booked a category J guarantee which was not and could not be provided.

But they would have had what they had booked.
Tina G originally said Princess oversold their booked Cat. J, but her second post said they were offered two different cabins over the theater on Dolphin deck. Well, all the inside cabins over the theater on Dolphin Deck on the Sea Princess (her ship) ARE category J. That is not an oversold offer, that is rejecting a guarantee assignment and downgrading voluntarily.

I suggest a simple line to hubby' date=' "If Princess should happen to call, please give me the phone or have them call back."[/quote']

This so reminded me of us. A few years ago, the day before we were leaving for a cruise, Princess called. DH was at home and answered the phone. I was getting 2-year old twins into their car seats in a busy parking lot. DH called me on my cell (thank God!!). With phone propped under my chin, I was strapping in one toddler, had the other wedged between my legs so he couldn't make a run for it and was negotiating a move over offer. DH would have jumped at the chance for the savings and taken whatever was offered, but I knew from reading CC it wasn't good enough. It went back and forth a bit but their offer just didn't improve enough. We left the next day.

I have a well trained husband. When it comes to our cruises, he defers to me.;)

One inside cabin is as good as another - unless it's on the Dolphin deck above the theater! I refused the first two locations they suggested. :mad:

Tina G originally said Princess oversold their booked Cat. J, but her second post said they were offered two different cabins over the theater on Dolphin deck.

Actually does not say the offered cabins were above the theater, just says that a) that would be a bad location and b) two cabins were rejected.

The offered locations could have been there, but maybe they were not.

Which ship is the OP on?

Caribill, you are correct it was not specifically said, but was certainly implied. OP was earlier asked to clarify that exact point and failed to reply although she did continue to post. The rejection of the booked category would also explain why the offer was only $50 with a downgrade. Until she explains further, I have to think this really was not an oversold situation. She is on Sea Princess.

Tina G.............which cruise to Alaska are you on? Hubby and I are leaving Saturday (5/26/12) on the Golden Princess 7 day to Alaska. We have a guaranteed GG and still don't have a room assignment. I called yesterday and she said it may be the end of the week! Another person on our cruise posted this link for me so I would be aware of the possibility of a downgrade offer. Nope........not taking that unless they want to let us cruise for free on this trip! Not likely to happen as that would cost them way more than $50!! LOL!!

I'd be happy in many of the lower categories of cabins rather than some of the Cat. J ones. The Plaza Deck insides, in my opinion, should be categorized higher. They're very convenient for me since we like to eat all of our meals in the dining rooms.

I've actually never had a bad cabin on Princess. I'm on the Plaza deck in a category L, which will be fine. I enjoy the convenience of the Plaza deck, and DH likes to be early in line for dinner. DH can stand for dear husband, or damned husband, depending on my mood. I had just never heard of Princess downgrading anyone before. I'm surprised and a bit offended. Oh, well. 10 days in Alaska for less than $900 pp isn't bad.

Princess didn't downgrade you, your DH did!! 3 words, no thank you, would have preserved your J category. I also suspect the low offer was due to the lower category of the orignial booking.

I thought so, too. Husband was only thinking green. One inside cabin is as good as another - unless it's on the Dolphin deck above the theater! I refused the first two locations they suggested. This will be our 11th cruise with Princess, and we've one more booked in August. HAL is sounding good for next year.:mad:

HAL is a good option, but to be honest, this is totally the fault of your DH. Princess simply made a request with a low offer that your DH accepted. All you have to do is say "no thank you" and you would have had exactly what you booked, or they would have come up with a much much better offer. I know several cruisers that end up getting exceptional "move over" offers. This is done on ALL cruise lines, so be aware that it can happen on HAL too.

"Hello Mr Whomever. This is Princess Cruise Lines calling. We regret to inform you that your booked Cat J has been oversold and there are not enough rooms to fulfill your Cat J request. However, we can offer you a one step lower Category and compensate you $50 PP. Will you accept this?"

Now, if you had NO experience with the drill and your wife was not around, I wonder what you would say? I'm sure they made it sound urgent.

"Hello Mr Whomever. This is Princess Cruise Lines calling. We regret to inform you that your booked Cat J has been oversold and there are not enough rooms to fulfill your Cat J request. However, we can offer you a one step lower Category and compensate you $50 PP. Will you accept this?"

Now, if you had NO experience with the drill and your wife was not around, I wonder what you would say? I'm sure they made it sound urgent.

My husband would have said "I'll have my wife call you back when she gets home" :)

Archived