Locks on Luggage

burtie

Hi,

I have TSA approved locks I use on my luggage when traveling. Anyone know if using them on the luggage with Princess is OK or Not? Have used them on HAL and RC without any problems, but don't know about Princess.

Thanks,

Burtie

Hi,

I have TSA approved locks I use on my luggage when traveling. Anyone know if using them on the luggage with Princess is OK or Not? Have used them on HAL and RC without any problems, but don't know about Princess.

Thanks,

Burtie

I use my luggage locks on Princess and everywhere I go traveling. Never a problem, of them missing. Of course, if the red area is "popped" up you know someone has been "messing" with your suitcase.

We used TSA locks our last couple cruise, no issues.

Often debated the wisdome of locking, but I'm in the space of locking, just like my house and car :D

The locks will keep the honest theives out anyway. At the very least they won't hurt. :D

We've done 3 Princess cruises - one joining in Jamacia, one sailing from the UK and the most recent from the port that services Beijing, China.

Used standard luggage padlocks and never had any problems - including flights to/from Jamacia, likewise Beijing, then Signapore, both via Dubai.

We often use black plastic cable ties as backup - cheap and easy to put on and remove (cut off) through the eyes of the zip ends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_tie

I don't bother with locks anymore. I only pack clothes and toiletries in my checked bag. Cameras, medicines, electronics and anything important is with me-either in a carry on or in my pac-safe purse.

I use TSA locks mainly to make sure my zipper does not come open and all my belonging get scattered throughout the port. Anything of value stays with me at all times. :D

I saw this happen to one poor soul's luggage. Yikes! :eek:

I use TSA locks mainly to make sure my zipper does not come open and all my belonging get scattered throughout the port. Anything of value stays with me at all times. :D

TSA had to call my niece to repack her suitcase. She had so much stuff crammed in there that after they rifled through, they couldn't get it closed!:D

I've never had an issue using the TSA locks in any of my five Princess cruises.

On somewhat of a side note, never leave anything valuable in your checked luggage. I learned this the hard way when some unknown TSA employees stole two expensive watches from one of my checked bags equipped with TSA locks.

Bob

I never use a lock, anything of value goes in carry-on. I do use cable ties to keep the zippers from coming undone and if the cable tie is removed it is a signal to me that someone has been in my bag.

I use a lock not because I am worried about theft. I worry about someone putting something in there that I would not know about. This has happened and can cause a lot of problems. To me better safe then sorry, I have no problem opening my luggage for TSA or any other suitable authority.

Had a friend find a few things in his luggage that did not belong to him and could have caused some trouble at any entry point. He got rid of it immediately. He had used a cable tie that was cut. Only reason he noticed it.

TSA locks plus neon cable ties.. Real easy to spot if luggage has been tampered with.

People definately need to be vigilent about their luggage. How many people have had their luggage grabbed by someone at the airport (accidently or on purpose)? I once caught a man walking away with my bag from the carousel and when I approached him he said he thought it was his (he was on my flight). I found this doubtful as the bag is very distinctive with a ribbon and such to easily make it stand out to be different. I told him that he should look at the tag in the future. I got my bag and he went back to the carousel.:D

People definately need to be vigilent about their luggage. How many people have had their luggage grabbed by someone at the airport (accidently or on purpose)? I once caught a man walking away with my bag from the carousel and when I approached him he said he thought it was his (he was on my flight). I found this doubtful as the bag is very distinctive with a ribbon and such to easily make it stand out to be different. I told him that he should look at the tag in the future. I got my bag and he went back to the carousel.:D

I think I would have just hung around for a few more minutes just to see if his bag was similar looking. :p

I think I would have just hung around for a few more minutes just to see if his bag was similar looking. :p

I did, his bag was similar shape, make and colour but as I said mine had a very distinctive ribbon on it. Perhaps he thought the airline had decorated it for him.:D

I do use TSA locks, but mainly to be sure the bag stays closed. When I was unpacking this last time I found a note inside the bag that the TSA had randomly opened my bag. I never realized it as the lock was still firmly locked.

I never put anything in my checked luggage that would hurt to lose. I had someone take my bag once and I never got it back. I lost several pins and some great shoes, as well as the usual stuff. The only thing that hurt were the pins that I had left on some jackets.

I never use a lock, anything of value goes in carry-on.

For many passengers, the suit or dress for a formal evening can cost hundreds of dollars. Even the cost of all the other clothing and shoes in a suitcase can easily be $500-$1000.

For many passengers, the suit or dress for a formal evening can cost hundreds of dollars. Even the cost of all the other clothing and shoes in a suitcase can easily be $500-$1000.

Do you really think that a thief is going to open a suitcase (locked or unlocked) to remove a suit or a dress? Not very likely, thief's are looking for cameras, jewelry, laptops, tablets and other items that can be removed from a bag quickly, that have wide appeal and can be pawned or sold easily.

Do you really think that a thief is going to open a suitcase (locked or unlocked) to remove a suit or a dress? Not very likely, thief's are looking for cameras, jewelry, laptops, tablets and other items that can be removed from a bag quickly, that have wide appeal and can be pawned or sold easily.

No, but a thief will not worry about rezipping the suitcase and the contents may easily go astray.

After all, until the thief has opened the suitcase and possibly dumped out the contents, he/she has no idea if there are valuables inside. The contents can be ruined or lost even if the thief does not take them.

Archived