When is best time to cruise Europe

bencruzN

DH and I are looking forward to Europe (never been). The best way I'm told to see Europe these days is to cruise. We want to go in a couple years, 2014. Was thinking about May. Is that a good time or how about early fall. I heard summer may not be the best time. My TA told me booking was not opened yet for 2014 for Barcelona. I really would like to book as soon as possible...like NOW

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

We can't speak to May as I am sure it is beautiful, but we have been in late October and very much enjoy it. The crowds are less, the weather is very nice (but can be cool and rainy).

We were just there from April 29th to May 6th and had beautiful weather and low crowds. Looking at the weather in places like Athens and Rome right now the weather is beautiful too. June, July and August the temps can be very hot, upwards of 100f. My sister in law went in August and said it was so hot she could not enjoy some of the sites they visited because she was so uncomfortable and the crowds did not help.

Look at my signature and you'll see the places and dates of the most recent European cruises we've been on. All great weather. I love the fall the best, though. If you want to swim in the Mediterranean, the water is still warm from the summer. In the spring, it might not be the same deal. This only matters if you're wanting to have some beach time, though.

Europe is packed with tourists during the summer months and somewhat better (although not much better) during the spring and fall. We did a 10 day Med cruise from Barcelona to ROme last year in early September and the temperatures were horrible (mid 90's every day). Everyone kept telling us how unusual it was for it to be that hot but it was miserable. If I was to do it again I would not go until the very end of September or early October.

DH and I are looking forward to Europe (never been). The best way I'm told to see Europe these days is to cruise. We want to go in a couple years, 2014. Was thinking about May. Is that a good time or how about early fall. I heard summer may not be the best time. My TA told me booking was not opened yet for 2014 for Barcelona. I really would like to book as soon as possible...like NOW

Do you want to actually "see Europe" or cruise Europe, not the same thing unless you will be using the cruise to decide where you want to go back on a land vacation. If Europe is going to be a once in a lifetime trip then I most definitely recommend doing it as a land trip not a cruise. JMHO

May and October are both wonderful.

We just returned from Europe. Left Barcelona on May 17th-29th and toured Canne, Rome, Florence, Naples (Sorrento, Salerno and Positano), Ravenna and Split, Croatia. On the backside we spent a couple days in London. Excellent time to see Spain, Italy, Croatia and England. No crowds and the weather was fantastic! We literally walked into the Tower of London to see the crown jewels and no lines what so ever. I would travel again in May to early June in a heartbeat. I would also consider early Oct. Family that lives in France strongly discouraged us from traveling in the height of the summer (mid June to Sept) due to the heat and crowds.

Thank you all for your responses. Heat does not bother me so much. We live in Vegas, and last week in MAY it was already 107. But if it's humid, that's another story.

If Europe is going to be a once in a lifetime trip then I most definitely recommend doing it as a land trip not a cruise.

I would love to one day do a land trip, but right now a cruise to see some of Europe is more feasible. In my younger days I dreamed of having a backpack and going all over Europe...you know now I don't have those young dreams anymore :D

Europe is a big place ;). Mainland Europe goes from Norway in the north to Spain in the south (over 2500 miles)

It is like comparing Seattle with Miami.

If you mean the Mediterranean I would suggest the middle of May to the middle of June is about the nicest time in terms of weather and not too busy. The weather is lovely here in Spain at the moment.

If you mean the Mediterranean I would suggest the middle of May to the middle of June is about the nicest time in terms of weather and not too busy.

Yep!! The Mediterranean. I keep saying Europe, but forget that's like someone saying "I going to America"....OKAAAAA, WHERE? More specific, the Western Mediterranean is where we are going. I'm ready to book.

DH and I have the same situation and we are looking at May 2014 also. Did your TA give you any idea when these bookings would open up?

Mary

May and Sept/Oct (I think) are the best times. Not as crowded and if you are doing your own air, it's usually "shoulder" season, so a bit less expensive. We've done several river cruises in these months. Honestly, I don't think a cruise on an "oceanliner" is the best way to see Europe, but that just my opinion and we've done a few and For some folks, 6 hrs in a city is enough and seeing one or two sites is sufficient. For us, it's not. We much more prefer a river cruise or a land tour to Europe, and a river cruise WAY more than a land tour, but that depends on what countries and/or cities you want to see.

Did your TA give you any idea when these bookings would open up?

Our TA told us bookings would open early spring 2013, I thought it would be sooner, at least I want it to be sooner.

Late Spring or Autumn. Avoid July and certainly August as it is far too hot, even if you take a ship´s excursion. Unless you are used to it the heat is completely draining. Also avoid school holiday time unless you want the ship and pools to be over run with children, check the countries you are visiting for the dates of their holidays. Also Fiesta or bank holiday days eh May 1, as this may mean shops or visitor attractions are closed. For some places you may also need to bring along allergy medication as orange trees, olive trees or others may cause problems. Some towns and ports in Spain and France may be affected by seasonal winds from the Sahara eg Sirocco

Sandy in Spain

Archived