Will PRINCESS change their loyalty program?

KruzPrincess

Thanks to both of you for the info. We have late seating, so 5-6 pm would be fine. I'm really glad to see I had misunderstood & they do have a form of dry cleaning.

I believe there are a couple of ships in the fleet that don't have dry cleaning facilities onboard--when we were on Tahitian, now Ocean, Princess, they didn't have dry cleaning available. That was several years back, but unless they added dry cleaning capabilities since then, I don't think the Small Ships have it.

I became elite based in large part on short cruises, some of which I earned 2 credits for because I sailed solo or in a suite. I think they're really fun and plan to do one this fall with my son. We did one on HAL this spring and had a great time, but I'm looking forward to getting back to Princess.

I don't think the perks that elite folks get are that costly for the line. If they were, I doubt they would have been offered in the first place.

I believe there are a couple of ships in the fleet that don't have dry cleaning facilities onboard--when we were on Tahitian, now Ocean, Princess, they didn't have dry cleaning available. That was several years back, but unless they added dry cleaning capabilities since then, I don't think the Small Ships have it.

I'm not to sure that they don't have the cleaning service. Whether it was called "dry cleaning" or just plain "cleaning" as it was changed to a few years ago, they obviously had to have it to clean their uniforms.

The Ocean and the Pacific do have the "cleaning" process as do all the other Princess ships. None have true "dry cleaning" anymore.

I'm not to sure that they don't have the cleaning service. Whether it was called "dry cleaning" or just plain "cleaning" as it was changed to a few years ago, they obviously had to have it to clean their uniforms.

Like I said, it's been a few years, but in 2006, they didn't offer dry cleaning on Tahitian Princess because there were no facilities for it onboard. Maybe now that they're doing just plain "cleaning" they have it available? They certainly had laundry service, so maybe the uniforms didn't need dry cleaning? Anybody been on the Small Ships lately who could comment?

(Apologies for again getting this thread off track from rewards perks, to availability of laundry facilities.)

Why not limit Elite 'perks to cruises over say..5 days. This farce of mini bar, internet and free laundry for one, two or three day cruises is a joke, surely. Would anybody be so greedy?

We have both been Elites for 4 years, we do the longer cruises, we have 336 days up on Princess Captains Circle, involving 13 cruises, most of the cruises have been 30 day cruises. We only put a bag of laundry in on board every 4 or 5 days, just being reasonable.

In the real world if everyone was reasonable, the Elite perks would stay.

Why not limit Elite 'perks to cruises over say..5 days. This farce of mini bar, internet and free laundry for one, two or three day cruises is a joke, surely. Would anybody be so greedy?

We have both been Elites for 4 years, we do the longer cruises, we have 336 days up on Princess Captains Circle, involving 13 cruises, most of the cruises have been 30 day cruises. We only put a bag of laundry in on board every 4 or 5 days, just being reasonable.

Based solely on what you posted, your view is definitely skewed toward longer cruises based on your personal experience. It is just not feasible for many people to take those cruises exceeding 14 days. I do think those one- to three- day cruises do seem to be a lot of work for such a short experience. But, the bottom line is if Princess Cruises rules allows it, I have no problem with someone getting credits or perks for cruises less than seven days.

Often people take shorter cruises either because they still work and this is the best they can do or shorter cruises are all that is available for a certain destination. In terms of what is available, until recently there has not been much choice for Alaskan cruises. Before the somewhat recent introduction of 10-day Alaska cruises out of San Francisco, only 7-day cruises out of either Seattle or Vancouver were available. Having said that, the 10-day Alaska cruises are not big improvements to the Alaskan experience. This longer cruise is due in large part to the increaased distance traveled from San Francisco until you get to the Alaska region.

Sounds like a very sound idea to me.....:):):)

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I always felt that perhaps limiting the dollar value of the free laundry would help reduce abuse, if in fact it`s much of a problem for the line. It`s possible that removing the complimentary same-day service some time back was enough.

And being that I earned my status with short trips too, I`m not in favour of discriminating against folks who still have to work on-site, 9-5. Its possible some people may not realize how tough it can be to GET the time off nowadays. With tighter staffing, if you`re working in the open public sector, it can be a challenge getting one week off, let alone two. And forget having someone cover for you - most of the work is waiting, piled up, when you get back.

I do understand the concern - "ìf they let more people in, my status and benefits could be diluted!" But it does seem a little... petty? Selfish? Elitist? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think there's any mean spiritedness, but having come up through the ranks of the 4 and 5 day cruisers (and some 12, 14, and a lot of 7 dayers), I try not to smile and roll my eyes when someone declares, with all seriousness, "I earned it the old fashioned way!" as if they struggled, unaided, up a large mountain, rolling a sisyphean-like bolder. :D

I'm not trying to be unkind - we all love our little status symbols as state enhancers - but it kind of remind me of an episode in season 5 of Mad Men, when Betty, a rather unlikeable character these past few seasons, announces at the thanksgiving table that she's "thankful that I have everything I want ... and that no one else has anything better."

I always felt that perhaps limiting the dollar value of the free laundry would help reduce abuse, if in fact it`s much of a problem for the line. It`s possible that removing the complimentary same-day service some time back was enough.
If someone has earned the perk, they should have the right to send out their laundry as often as they want. To me, that's not abuse. IMHO, abuse is when an Elite sends out laundry for everyone traveling with them, whether they're in the same cabin or not. I remember posts by people who were proud of the fact that they were traveling with extended family in multiple cabins and no one said anything about their sending out several bags a day for everyone. Sometimes, it amazes me that people's ethics are based on what they can get away with. Maybe it's a generational gap.

And being that I earned my status with short trips too, I`m not in favour of discriminating against folks who still have to work on-site, 9-5. Its possible some people may not realize how tough it can be to GET the time off nowadays. With tighter staffing, if you`re working in the open public sector, it can be a challenge getting one week off, let alone two. And forget having someone cover for you - most of the work is waiting, piled up, when you get back.

I do understand the concern - "ìf they let more people in, my status and benefits could be diluted!" But it does seem a little... petty? Selfish? Elitist? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think there's any mean spiritedness, but having come up through the ranks of the 4 and 5 day cruisers (and some 12, 14, and a lot of 7 dayers), I try not to smile and roll my eyes when someone declares, with all seriousness, "I earned it the old fashioned way!" as if they struggled, unaided, up a large mountain, rolling a sisyphean-like bolder. :D

I'm not trying to be unkind - we all love our little status symbols as state enhancers - but it kind of remind me of an episode in season 5 of Mad Men, when Betty, a rather unlikeable character these past few seasons, announces at the thanksgiving table that she's "thankful that I have everything I want ... and that no one else has anything better."

I love this post.:)

If someone has earned the perk, they should have the right to send out their laundry as often as they want. To me, that's not abuse. IMHO, abuse is when an Elite sends out laundry for everyone traveling with them, whether they're in the same cabin or not. I remember posts by people who were proud of the fact that they were traveling with extended family in multiple cabins and no one said anything about their sending out several bags a day for everyone.
Oh I absolutely agree Pam. I think when I was thinking of the limit, it would be a reasonable limit for one person, say $10-15 a day. The nice thing with that is, if you chose to, you could use the express for some items and the regular for others, and still manage to keep under your limit.

Back when they still did same-day (or just didn't enforce the 2 day rule), I was always shocked at how much the value of my laundry added up to in dollar figures on my statement. But then again, I can't wear a shirt twice, and sometimes have to change during the day if it's a hot climate. I ... "glow" ... a little too much. (I have been known to stand ON a glacier IN short sleeves and shorts AND still sweat up a small puddle.)

Edited to add:

Sometimes, it amazes me that people's ethics are based on what they can get away with. Maybe it's a generational gap.
Wellllll, not so sure about that. I can only speak from personal observation and anecdotal evidence, but I'm pretty sure that the hypertrophic sense of entitlement is well spread out among the age groups. If anything, I'd say it's more likely a reverse bell curve. ;)

Love, love, love this post. The bolded parts nearly had me standing up on my chair and cheering. You need to hang around this forum even more!

Love this post!!!!! I'm enjoying the friendly banter...keep them coming. Here's my 2 cents worth...If I'm Elite and the ship is sinking, do I get priority disembarkation? :p

NO,sorry but that perk was only offered on the Titanic.

"I earned it the old fashioned way!" as if they struggled, unaided, up a large mountain, rolling a sisyphean-like bolder. :D."

And here I was thinking..... you spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, cruised on long exotic itineraries and all of a sudden if they discontinue the free laundry you will be in the poor house or you will have to make time on a 30 day cruise to throw a few things in the wash. It's amazing my wife and I both work full time jobs more than 40 hours a week plus commute and we still find time to wash cloths, towels and sheets for the family all year long. Just to refresh everyone's memory Paul had the best comment." I look at it as how much fun I had reaching Elite status. Those poor fools on the 1, 2 and 3 day cruises are missing all the fun".

On another perk, Have any of you elites sent your shoes out to be shined? How did they look after?

Sometimes, it amazes me that people's ethics are based on what they can get away with. Maybe it's a generational gap.

After reading cruise critic for a while, I often wonder why

I would ever want to be on a ship with many of these people.

After reading cruise critic for a while, I often wonder why

I would ever want to be on a ship with many of these people.

The Princess board isn't as bad as some of the others like Carnival or Royal. Sometimes I just want to say... really...and you are admitting this on a public forum? Why?

I am shocked at the "Elite" attitude toward attaining the status (now that they have done so) and would like to know how many actually attained that status based on days (as most everyone seems in favor of) versus number of cruises. It would take 14 7-days cruises to attain Elite. How many have done that?

I am traveling solo because my husband cannot have as much time to enjoy cruising. I am paying a single supplement and think it should be used toward status change. It comes out to basically paying for 2 cabins.

I'm sorry but it all seems pretty snotty to me since most everyone commenting here has attained Elite status. I am actually shocked at the attitude. Do you not want any more Elite joining order "Special Group?":mad:

I am shocked at the "Elite" attitude toward attaining the status (now that they have done so) and would like to know how many actually attained that status based on days (as most everyone seems in favor of) versus number of cruises. It would take 14 7-days cruises to attain Elite. How many have done that?

I am traveling solo because my husband cannot have as much time to enjoy cruising. I am paying a single supplement and think it should be used toward status change. It comes out to basically paying for 2 cabins.

I'm sorry but it all seems pretty snotty to me since most everyone commenting here has attained Elite status. I am actually shocked at the attitude. Do you not want any more Elite joining order "Special Group?":mad:

Speaking only for myself, I attained Elite after taking 12 Princess cruises and almost 150 days, almost all of them as a solo and paying 150-200% of the per-person fare, when the program changed to count days in addition to the number of cruises. I had two cruises booked at the time, one of which was 31 days, and was looking at a couple of years to complete 15 cruises. So technically, I achieved Elite by days but if the program had remained as it was, I would have had about 200 days sailed by the time i qualified. Yet at the same time, someone living in the Northwest could achieve the same status after only 15-30 days sailed since the only 1- and 2-day cruises are in the Northwest. I don't know about the others posting but I think it's an unfair system by counting the cruises and not basing it solely on days sailed. If that makes me an Elite snob, so be it. I just think it should be a level playing field.

If someone has earned the perk, they should have the right to send out their laundry as often as they want. To me, that's not abuse. IMHO, abuse is when an Elite sends out laundry for everyone traveling with them, whether they're in the same cabin or not. I remember posts by people who were proud of the fact that they were traveling with extended family in multiple cabins and no one said anything about their sending out several bags a day for everyone. Sometimes, it amazes me that people's ethics are based on what they can get away with. Maybe it's a generational gap.

I've even read how some are proud about going directly from home to the ship with clothes that need to be cleaned instead of doing it before they go to the ship. I understand those who travel pre-cruise needing to do this but not someone unwilling to do it before leaving home. To me such abuse & that mentioned by Pam of the free laundry benefit could lead to it becoming limited even for those of us who don't abuse the benefit. :(

Archived