Dining Stewards and Late Sailaways......

sail7seas

Another thread got me thinking.......

If the ship is overnighting in port or has a 12 midnight sailaway.....

If many guests advise their tablemates and stewards, the night before, that they should not wait for them as they will dine ashore......

Do you think the Dining Room Manager will attempt to give as many stewards as possible a little extra time off so they, too, can have a bit of time ashore?

If he's been told 50-60% of the guests will not be eating on the ship, will he take into consideration there are bound to be a number that won't come to the dining room but didn't say that in advance?

I hope so.

If the ship is staying late in a fabulous port, I'd like to think as much crew as possible gets at least a little time to also enjoy it.

If many guests advise their tablemates and stewards, the night before, that they should not wait for them as they will dine ashore......

Do you think the Dining Room Manager will attempt to give as many stewards as possible a little extra time off so they, too, can have a bit of time ashore?

Probably not as things such as bad weather (or, simply too hot or too cold tempeatures) could change all that rather quickly. There's also those pax who, say, have fixed early dining but got on at 8 and want to eat - the lower level can't accomodate them all, so some would be seated at the "empty" tables on the upper level.

Probably not as things such as bad weather (or, simply too hot or too cold tempeatures) could change all that rather quickly. There's also those pax who, say, have fixed early dining but got on at 8 and want to eat - the lower level can't accomodate them all, so some would be seated at the "empty" tables on the upper level.

You're right that a certain percentage of stewards need to remain to serve in both the MDR and Lido but there are bound to be a certain percentage of guests who will not need to be fed on the ship. ALL the stewards certainly cannot leave but hopefully, on a rotating basis, or as reward for excellent work, a somewhat higher than usual number of stewards get some extra time off.

I would hope so too but think it's not likely. At least in fixed dining, people probably expect to be served by "their" steward, so I expect most are expected to be back in time for dinner. Sad but probably true.

Roy

The other thing is (thinking of the other thread) it's pretty hard to advise anyone if your first night in the MDR is the overnight.

Normally we do a precruise stay so we do eat on the ship as we have been able to enjoy the port for 3 or 4 days.:)

I doubt there would be such a last-minute decision, but sometimes these things are planned in advance.

I do remember one cruise, although I don't recall if it was an overnight or just a late sailing, when even late fixed diners were on open seating downstairs that night. This allowed some stewards to be given time off.

In May, the Ryndam arrived in Alysund late evening, for an overnight and full next day. Some stewards were given time ashore that night (and they got the better weather, too).

This was planned in advance, too (the time off; not the weather :rolleyes:).

Would they? I thought if you missed your assigned time, you'd have to go to the Lido or have room service.

Ships often close the MDR for lunch in port because they expect lots of pax to be eating ashore, and the rest can eat at the Lido. That allows servers to have some extra time off. But I don't think they'd do that for dinner. As rafinmd says, people with assigned tables will expect to have their usual waitstaff.

I have been on cruises where the sailaway was very late. While I have not experienced any dining room stewards who were given "leave" when they were to be at their station, I do know that my stewards were anxious to complete their chores as soon as possible so that they would have time to go ashore.

I always try to let my tablemates and my stewards know if I don't plan on being at the table for dinner the next night.

If he's been told 50-60% of the guests will not be eating on the ship, will he take into consideration there are bound to be a number that won't come to the dining room but didn't say that in advance?

I hope so.

If the ship is staying late in a fabulous port, I'd like to think as much crew as possible gets at least a little time to also enjoy it.

Wishful thinking, Judy. I asked our dining room stewards on the Veendam about that...since we were in port from Tuesday morning to Friday afternoon...and they didn't have any additional "time off"...sad to say.

I hope so.

You would hope so, wouldn't you, but I have my doubts. I will say this though, they do that in the Pinnacle. When they know it is going to be quiet in there, the let some of the staff off for that evening.

You would hope so, wouldn't you, but I have my doubts. I will say this though, they do that in the Pinnacle. When they know it is going to be quiet in there, the let some of the staff off for that evening.

I'm happy to hear that about Pinnacle and it might explain why they refuse walk-ins sometimes when you look in and it isn't busy. I've wondered why they didn't seat the people at one of those empty tables. That could be the reason. :)

I hope so.

Nope; #1 because fine folks change their minds and all of a sudden show up in the DR and, #2 because there's something called IPM or Inport Manning for the crew, meaning a mimimum amount of crew always has to stay onboard in port, in case of emergencies, fire alarms, etc.

Now, for those not on IPM and off duty at the conclusion of their respective shifts, you'll see the floodgates open and the Red Sea parting at the gangway when the vessel is overnighting! Don't get caught in that stampede when the crew is 'doing tehe town';)

Nope; #1 because fine folks change their minds and all of a sudden show up in the DR and, #2 because there's something called IPM or Inport Manning for the crew, meaning a mimimum amount of crew always has to stay onboard in port, in case of emergencies, fire alarms, etc.

Now, for those not on IPM and off duty at the conclusion of their respective shifts, you'll see the floodgates open and the Red Sea parting at the gangway when the vessel is overnighting! Don't get caught in that stampede when the crew is 'doing tehe town';)

Thanks, Copper.

Makes sense, of course. :)

Archived