Teen "house arrest" on the Oasis

Believe it or not I am agreeing with you, especially on the fact that none of us know the facts of just how long since the mother had seen the parents. But will disagree with the before dinner. As you can see below the OP stated since dinner, not before. So even if it was early dinner and it took an hour, it still is not 10 hours.

You are right, the OP did say since dinner, not before, my mistake. Maybe we can agree at more than 6 and less than10.;):) Still way too long to go without knowing his whereabouts. Given the additional information that has been posted saying this happened two nights in a row, I can see why he was confined to his cabin. I wouldn't doubt that the Captain is woken when there is a missing passenger report, no wonder he was "grumpy".

Has any parent thought of this, the little darling teenager gets back to the cabin at 3 am. The following morning you arrive in port, the rest of the family wants to go the beach but the teenager is to tied to get up. What will the family do. Leave without him, but this not being supervised on the when the family is ashore. So the teenager ruins the day of the rest of the family. I wouldn't be happy person:mad:

Has any parent thought of this, the little darling teenager gets back to the cabin at 3 am. The following morning you arrive in port, the rest of the family wants to go the beach but the teenager is to tied to get up. What will the family do. Leave without him, but this not being supervised on the when the family is ashore. So the teenager ruins the day of the rest of the family. I wouldn't be happy person:mad:

This is why we discuss when our kids are to be back every night and agree on a time, sometimes the ship curfew sometimes earlier. One size ( curfew ) does not fit every situation. Our kids know they will be getting up and getting off the ship with us, and no pouty faces allowed or there will be consequences!

Me either. My bedtime just didn't happen until both my kids were in their cabin.

That's pretty much how we did it. We cruised through both my kid's teen years and only had a problem one time. My DD (and her friend) were not back by their curfew. I found them in the hot tub with a bunch of other teens and of course they said the time simply got away from them. They were NOT happy with mom go total meltdown on them right there on deck for the world to see. Which was fine. It never happened again.

I'm wondering if, at the same time that we are signing a form saying we don't have runny noses, if it would help to have both parents and teens sign a "contract" stating that they are fully aware of the curfew, and understand that both the parents and the teen will face consequences if the teen breaks curfew. I KNOW it's almost impossible to enforce all the time, and most people are aware of the curfew already, but there are those who might just take their parenting responsibility a bit more seriously if they know THEY will feel the impact on their vacation if their teen is out of control. Maybe a little reinforcement of that point is needed in these days of highly populated ships.

I sailed with my sons annually through their teens. They are now 32 and 27. There is no way I would have slept until I knew they were back in their cabin.

I think it's a great idea to have parents and kids sign a document as stated above. It could very well avoid a lot of heartache in the future.

My son always had an earlier curfew if the next day was a port day. Later curfew was only if we had a sea day the next day so yes, we parents do think about how our "little darling teenagers" curfew will affect our family.

You are right, the OP did say since dinner, not before, my mistake. Maybe we can agree at more than 6 and less than10.;):) Still way too long to go without knowing his whereabouts. Given the additional information that has been posted saying this happened two nights in a row, I can see why he was confined to his cabin. I wouldn't doubt that the Captain is woken when there is a missing passenger report, no wonder he was "grumpy".

Will agree that we have no idea, but at the risk of beating a dead horse here, still say it could have been as little as 3. If it was after late dinner, and they realized he was not back at 1 the official curfew time and started looking that is just 3. Not as bad as 10 and puts a different light on the whole thing. If this was the second night, I would hope that the parents started looking early to avoid bringing in the crew again and did not wait until waking at 4.

I definitely do agree that if this happened 2 nights in a row the extra punishment by the captain was well deserved and in that case the parents should have gone the extra mile to make sure the kid was back on time,

Point is 6 or 10 does not matter.

Even if they saw him at 12:59am and it is now 4am .. doesn't matter

1. he is not where he belongs
  2. and they do not know where he is
  3. and it is 3 hours after curfew

Let the kid have fun. He's 15, on holiday and having a good time. Im sure we all ventured into other peoples "cabins" when we were that age!

Oh, I was a wild one, but not at the expense of others! You wake up 8,000 people there WILL be consequences.

Might be good enough for you.....but there is a BIG difference between a kid who innocently fell asleep in another cabin with friends and one that was found either drunk or possibly in possession of drugs....and the punishment should certainly reflect that difference.

I don't find your explanation possible. First, people are on a cruise ship for days... that is not enough time to become "friends" enough to enter another person's cabin. Second, had they been traveling with friends from home they would have checked that cabin first without notifying RCCL. There isn't innocent here. The kid was where he shouldn't have been at a time he should have not been out, and he caused A LOT of grief and concern for the crew plus his parents. I think the Captain did the appropriate thing even if the kid was stone cold sober.

I don't find your explanation possible. First, people are on a cruise ship for days... that is not enough time to become "friends" enough to enter another person's cabin.

Actually, plenty of teens can and do make friends that quickly. And if their parents haven't thought ahead and told them not to go to someone else's cabin AND not to allow other people in their cabin, especially when the teens are booked into their own cabin, this can occur.

I don't find your explanation possible. First, people are on a cruise ship for days... that is not enough time to become "friends" enough to enter another person's cabin. Second, had they been traveling with friends from home they would have checked that cabin first without notifying RCCL. There isn't innocent here. The kid was where he shouldn't have been at a time he should have not been out, and he caused A LOT of grief and concern for the crew plus his parents. I think the Captain did the appropriate thing even if the kid was stone cold sober.

Actually, plenty of teens can and do make friends that quickly. And if their parents haven't thought ahead and told them not to go to someone else's cabin AND not to allow other people in their cabin, especially when the teens are booked into their own cabin, this can occur.

Actually, bajathree's explanation is completely plausible where as yours lacks a sense of what happens with teens on board. RoofingPrincess is on the money and I would suggest you either don't have teen cruisers or if you do, start paying attention.

Maybe you should consider the difference in what adults might use as the definition of a friend vs. what teens may use. Most teens think that they have tons of friends. As you get older you learn the difference between friends and acquaintances. I have observed teens on ships hanging out with the same crew night after night. I am quite sure that they consider themselves to be friends. So I can understand how they might end up in certain places and situations that we adults would look at as being inappropriate choices. Hopefully, the adults in their lives help to guide them along the way into making better decisions.

In response to me, you said,

The curfew was disobeyed as the minor was not in his own cabin at curfew. Just because he was not "roaming the ship" does not mean he did not break curfew.

I did not say that the kid did not break the curfew-- but in actuality the curfew did very little as it did not catch the kid breaking it.:D

Actually, bajathree's explanation is completely plausible where as yours lacks a sense of what happens with teens on board. RoofingPrincess is on the money and I would suggest you either don't have teen cruisers or if you do, start paying attention.

Imagine these scenarios

1) Two 5 year old boys in adventure ocean one says to the other "You want to be my friend"

flash forward 10 years

2) To teenage boys meet in the youth area "You want to be friends"

flash forward 25 years

3)Two strangers in a bar one turns to the other "You want to be my friend"

The first ones adorable

The second ones acceptable

And the third one is just creepy

No one can be surprised that if teens are allowed to have their own cabin, that they come and go as they please. They have a curfew at 1am. Parents check on them at 1:10am. Teens leave cabin at 1:30a after the parents are asleep across the hall. Teen comes back to cabin at 5am.

Our boys never gave us any problems when we cruised. At first, they were in our cabin. When they got old/big enough that it was prudent to get them their own cabin, we put the wrath of God on them about what we expected out of them, what would happen if they didn't follow the guidelines, and one was a curfew. Mind you, these boys had never given us a moment of trouble on any previous cruises--at least that we knew about. We always got compliments on how good they were.

However, we are not naive, either. Every night when they turned in, DH put a strip of cheap colored tape (kept in our safe) along the top of their door and the door jamb. Nice and tight. Unbeknownst to the boys, he, also, drew light pencil lines from various spots on the tape to the outside. If they left the cabin, they most likely would break the tape. However, if they had a "friend" to carefully remove it and then reapply it after they returned to the cabin, it would not be as tight (we tested it at home) plus they would probably not know to line up the pencil lines exactly right either.

Tucker in Texas

Are you serious:rolleyes:...I have been invited into peoples cabins who I only met hours before ...and on the very first evening of sailings....and on more than one occasion.

It's not just about breaking rules.

If they couldn't find the kid, the Captain would probably have to turn the ship around to look for him and report the missing to the Coast Guard.

That is exactly what I was wondering - geez, the chain of events that would have to be set in motion if the fool had not been found. It would not have been pretty.

Imagine these scenarios

1) Two 5 year old boys in adventure ocean one says to the other "You want to be my friend"

flash forward 10 years

2) To teenage boys meet in the youth area "You want to be friends"

flash forward 25 years

3)Two strangers in a bar one turns to the other "You want to be my friend"

The first ones adorable

The second ones acceptable

And the third one is just creepy

LIKE:) - Oops.... wrong forum:D

Actually, during the Q&A session (which was great, by the way) the captain said that the parents had not seen the boy since dinner time. At 4 am the mother woke up and realized the kid was not in the cabin.

The impression I got from the captain from what he said at the Q&A is that he was very angry with the parents. And yes, he said that there was a security guard posted outside the cabin.

The Q&A was a riot; one woman actually asked the captain what proof he had that he was mentally and physically fit to captain the ship as she had had a bad experience a few years back with a crazy captain. The captain responded that he has no proof that he is sane, and non that he is insane. He said they check his eyes every year to make sure he can see. He was actually pretty funny. He also laughed aloud when asked where he cruises, and responded, "I don't cruise for vacation. I have never been on a cruise."

Scranned thru this entire thread - however I was DYING when I was reading the captains response to this woman at the Q & A! Priceless!:)

Archived