Royal does away with bag tags...except for Suite and Pinnacle guests

I would consider any change that is taking something away as "not good".

Whereas I see a change that removes something that's not necessary and simplifies things as good.

See what I mean. They're just opinions and viewpoints, not facts.

Wonder if we will still get the colored tags to get off ship??? Or will we have to use printer at the computer center and print them oursels???????

Good point -- for a while, I wondered the same thing myself. Don't think it will be a problem. For one thing, they don't have to pay to mail those tags to you. But, the real factor is how fast they always want you (and your bags) off the ship on turn-around day. It's clearly in their best interest to give you bag tags and get you on your way! :rolleyes:

Whereas I see a change that removes something that's not necessary and simplifies things as good.

So you'd be OK if they removed a swimming pool on every ship? If they removed half the food choices in the buffet? After all, these things are not necessary, and that would simplify things, no?

So you'd be OK if they removed a swimming pool on every ship? If they removed half the food choices in the buffet? After all, these things are not necessary, and that would simplify things, no?

Now this is just a silly and idiotic comparison. Doing away with luggage tags versus amenities offered is hardly a proper comparison.

Now this is just a silly and idiotic comparison. Doing away with luggage tags versus amenities offered is hardly a proper comparison.

Oh I know it is. And that's exactly my point. Who is to decide what's "not necessary"? The_Big_M may feel that luggage tags are not necessary, but somebody that doesn't ever use a swimming pool may feel that a swimming pool is not necessary. I would never presume to judge what others feel is necessary or not necessary like The_Big_M did.

Please help me understand how ending luggage tags in your words simplifies things. Lets review: At no additional cost to me I order them on line, receive them in the mail, peel the backing, stick them on my luggage, and drop the luggage off with the porter. How much more simple can it get? Let's not forget, they already include my name, cabin number, ship, sail date, and C&A status. Seems like that keeps it simple for me, the porters, and RCI. Me thinks you're 'simplify' theory defies logic.

Oh I know it is. And that's exactly my point. Who is to decide what's "not necessary"? The_Big_M may feel that luggage tags are not necessary, but somebody that doesn't ever use a swimming pool may feel that a swimming pool is not necessary. I would never presume to judge what others feel is necessary or not necessary like The_Big_M did.

I understand what you are saying but there is a financial side to not mailing out the luggage tags. RCI is simply making necessary cutbacks in these economic times that the company feels are needed. The postage and printing of luggage tags is a a big added cost to the company. Many people order duplicates and some don't even use the ones they get even after requesting them. Others change cabins, get upgraded or simply forget them at home and then still need to get ones at the pier.

The company is still providing luggage tags at the port and even providing a template if one chooses to print their own. I would rather see a cut in luggage tags than other areas that affect my cruising experience.

The problem is the expectation of people. People want lower prices but yet expect a company to waste a million or so a year on pre printed luggage tags. If the profit markets are strong then the extra money for the tags may be in the budget but when profits are down then eliminating things that are considered wasteful is a smart business move.

People in this thread have compared the luggage tags to the baggage tags for airlines yet have failed to see that cruiselines are now similar to airlines. When was the last time you boarded a plane and had bag tags sent to you PRIOR to your flight? You get the tags for your bags at CHECK IN so what's the huge issue in getting the tags for your bags at the pier if you do not have the desire to print you own???

Well said.

I understand what you are saying but there is a financial side to not mailing out the luggage tags. RCI is simply making necessary cutbacks in these economic times that the company feels are needed. The postage and printing of luggage tags is a a big added cost to the company. Many people order duplicates and some don't even use the ones they get even after requesting them. Others change cabins, get upgraded or simply forget them at home and then still need to get ones at the pier.

The company is still providing luggage tags at the port and even providing a template if one chooses to print their own. I would rather see a cut in luggage tags than other areas that affect my cruising experience.

The problem is the expectation of people. People want lower prices but yet expect a company to waste a million or so a year on pre printed luggage tags. If the profit markets are strong then the extra money for the tags may be in the budget but when profits are down then eliminating things that are considered wasteful is a smart business move.

People in this thread have compared the luggage tags to the baggage tags for airlines yet have failed to see that cruiselines are now similar to airlines. When was the last time you boarded a plane and had bag tags sent to you PRIOR to your flight? You get the tags for your bags at CHECK IN so what's the huge issue in getting the tags for your bags at the pier if you do not have the desire to print you own???

For the most part you are correct. The problem arises when others criticize and minimize people for complaining about a small but nice perk available to everyone. I think we all get the financial side of it but the tags will be missed by some.

small but nice perk available to everyone. I think we all get the financial side of it but the tags will be missed by some.

They are not available to everyone and never have been. Just USA. Not sure about the UK. Everyone will still have a luggage tag the only change is the way they were printed.

Who is to decide? What's the point of discussion then with such an absolute position.

If postal delivery is only one option, and catch all options i.e. check-in are still available, how can it be "necessary?" Obviously people have preferences, but the argument above is an example of arguing about nothing. What next? Who's to decide what is black? Who's to decide anything really...

They are not available to everyone and never have been. Just USA. Not sure about the UK. Everyone will still have a luggage tag the only change is the way they were printed.

My apologies. Even if it was just the US, it was a perk and it was enjoyed by all levels from newbie to Pinnacle.

Who is to decide? What's the point of discussion then with such an absolute position.

If postal delivery is only one option, and catch all options i.e. check-in are still available, how can it be "necessary?" Obviously people have preferences, but the argument above is an example of arguing about nothing. What next? Who's to decide what is black? Who's to decide anything really...

Your argument is slipping off the cliff. :D

Leave the poor post office alone. They have enough problems without loosing the RCI luggage tag busines too.:D

I can deal with all the take always so far.... But if they take away the Cappuccino Machine from the CL.,,,,,, Well that will be the Last straw...:eek::D

Oh come on. You know it never works anyway;)

You are both right!!!!

On the Freedom last month, I was told by the Hotel Director that the contract with the current Cappuccino machine company has reached it's end. He told me that they were replacing all of the machines with the same type that is used in the Starbucks areas of the ship..

It would really be a treat to actually be able to get a cup of Cappucchino in the Cl's for the entire length of a cruise!

You are both right!!!!

On the Freedom last month, I was told by the Hotel Director that the contract with the current Cappuccino machine company has reached it's end. He told me that they were replacing all of the machines with the same type that is used in the Starbucks areas of the ship..

It would really be a treat to actually be able to get a cup of Cappucchino in the Cl's for the entire length of a cruise!

That would be great.

700 posts and you people are still sniping over this issue? Have the moderators fallen asleep or are they just letting people air it out. Of course maybe I just violated the first rule of moderation ,don't talk about moderation. ;)

Officially checking out of all luggage tag threads and will resist the temptation to read any new ones.

My apologies. Even if it was just the US, it was a perk and it was enjoyed by all levels from newbie to Pinnacle.

Now that everyone gets the benefit of "Exclusive Trivia" why would they need luggage tags as a benefit. Even "priority check-in" is now a listed benefit of gold and above. And don't forget we all get "SeaPass Card recognition". What more do people want? :p

Is this for real? "Private departure lounge with continental breakfast" for gold and above? Really?

What I really want to know is who writes up this list of benefits? :confused:

At this rate, getting luggage tags is beginning to see sort of special. :eek:

Gina

Now that everyone gets the benefit of "Exclusive Trivia" why would they need luggage tags as a benefit. Even "priority check-in" is now a listed benefit of gold and above. And don't forget we all get "SeaPass Card recognition". What more do people want? :p

Is this for real? "Private departure lounge with continental breakfast" for gold and above? Really?

What I really want to know is who writes up this list of benefits? :confused:

At this rate, getting luggage tags is beginning to see sort of special. :eek:

Gina

Yes, the lounge is quite private and exclusive when 5500 people of the 6000 sailing all have access to it.:confused:

What I don't get is why would this make it a perk for suite guests?

We always stay in a GS.

Now if I figure out a way to walk around showing off my luggage tags, along with my gold card for all to see......:rolleyes:

What I don't get is why would this make it a perk for suite guests?

We always stay in a GS.

Now if I figure out a way to walk around showing off my luggage tags, along with my gold card for all to see......:rolleyes:

They are doing this for Pinnacle Club Members as well as Suite Guests to make you feel special and appreciated.:D

Archived