Return flight from Seattle after Alaska cruise

mcmsb

We have booked our return flight to Florida from Seattle at 9:25am. I know the ship starts debarkation at 7:00. Planning to walk off our luggage and have a private car waiting to take us to the airport. Do you think we will make our 9:25 flight? The cruise line recommends no flight before 11:45 but our flight options are very bad that late.

I really do not think you make a flight that early. The traffic in and around Seattle is horrendous at that time of the day. The traffic at the port will also be heavy with all of the passengers getting off of the ship around the same time you will be. I'd change the flight -- better to play it safe.

We have booked our return flight to Florida from Seattle at 9:25am. I know the ship starts debarkation at 7:00. Planning to walk off our luggage and have a private car waiting to take us to the airport. Do you think we will make our 9:25 flight? The cruise line recommends no flight before 11:45 but our flight options are very bad that late.

Well, your flight is TWO HOURS and TWENTY MINUTES before the EARLIEST recommended time. Who knows, it might be your lucky day. Or it might not be.

The Seattle airport is a zoo on cruise disembarkation days. (It's my home airport and I've seen the chaos.) Personally, I would not have booked a flight that early. But since you have already booked your air, your options are:

1) Keep what you have and be prepared for the consequences if you miss your flight.

2) Pay a change fee for a later flight.

I really do not think you make a flight that early. The traffic in and around Seattle is horrendous at that time of the day. The traffic at the port will also be heavy with all of the passengers getting off of the ship around the same time you will be. I'd change the flight -- better to play it safe.

I agree; was just at the airport and it was the busiest I'd ever seen. Security line was just crazy long. We would have missed our flight if we couldn't have gone through the priority security line. I asked an agent why, and they said because it was "cruise day". I think OP's flight is just way too early.

Plan on staying overnight, because you won't make your flight. And with "cruise day", don't expect there to be open seats available to make up for you missing your flight. You might get out the next day, but even that is iffy. Flights to/from SEA in the summer run at near capacity all the time.

In fact, it may very well be, depending on your airline and ticket, that your reservation and ticket may be cancelled and you will have to get another ticket.

If we may be so brash as to ask, why did you buy that ticket? The "options were bad".....does that mean that the price was higher? That you might have to make an extra connection? My bet is the price was cheaper, so you grabbed it to save a buck.

So, instead you have a better option.....really?

You aren't going to make that flight. SeaTac is a drive from the port and lines can be long there.

I don't know where in Florida you are going, but I'd rather know I could make a later flight that would get me home around midnight than miss the early one and not get home for a couple of days.

I have to agree with everyone else. Debarkation is based on a lot of factors. There is never a set time. One person not settling a bill or one non US citizen, who hasn't checked in with immigration, will delay disembarking for the whole ship.

A ship docking time, and disembarking times are 2 different things.

I don't think you will make it. You have already made the choice to ignore the cruiselines recommended flight departure time. You have at least a 30 minute travel time by car to the airport and if traffic is heavy 30 minutes travel time is being generous. The airport will be busy from the baggage drop off to clearing the security checkpoint. And this is anticipating no delays on the ships arrival, delays on the ship being cleared, you getting through customs, or any other factors that may delay your departure from the ship. You might be better off and change to a later flight or a flight that leaves the next day, because if you miss your original flight it may take a day or two to get rebooked. Good luck anyways!

Not a chance of making that flight if you encounter what we just endured at SeaTac.

It took us over an hour just to hand over our checked luggage and we were flying first class. :eek:

Security lines were so long it was ridiculous.

I wouldn't dream of trying to cut it so close.

That is a big airport and your gate could take some time to reach.

Sorry but this is what we experienced.

You will not make the flight.

Don't for one minute presume you can disembark much before 7:30.

Don't presume that there will not be any incident that will cause TSA to crack down (slow down) clearance.

Self disembarkation is horrid to begin with. Every one wishing to do this will have issues just like you and they will also have luggage that they cannot handle easily by themselves as they are denied use of the escalator and have to wait for the elevator. There is absolutely no crew member who can, or will, help you get your luggage through the disembarkation process to a taxi on a mainstream line as a general practice.

Then you have ground issues which will probably include Customs and Immigration. Absolutely do not have anything to declare or pay duty on. Don't hide or flaunt any item(s) that exceed either legal limits (Liquor or cigarettes) or value above duty. The customs agents are professionals and can spot many many attempts at evasion from a mile away. You even hear stories about crew turning in passengers to C & I whether deserved or not.

Then get in line for a cab. We've never made it from the pier and downtown in only thirty minutes.

Did you cut corners by waiting to check in for your flight and prepay any baggage fees at the airport?

Do you have to check your luggage inside or does the airport offer curbside? Do you have your boarding pass or confirmation number and photo id handy? Are your bags overweight? All of these little things will cost you time before you ever get to TSA.

Do you know if you can jump line for a tight flight? Some airports do allow this but not all.

Are you toting any forbidden liquids in your carry on, or do you have any other items that TSA will want to recheck. Are you still wearing your belt as you go through either the nude-o-scope or the old fashioned security machine.

If you should be selected for the dreaded SSSS on your boarding pass are you aware of the more thorough TSA screening. This can be random.

I don't know what airline you have reservations on but I'd bet it's not the first gate on the left as you pass TSA.

If you still plan on keeping this fllight do yourself a favor and have a list of alternate flights handy and hope and pray you can either pay for a hotel for a night or the fare differential for your new itinerary.

One of the best ways to enjoy your cruise is to avoid the stress you have inflicted on yourselves. Please change your flight.

I agree...the flight is just too early. Disembarkation, customs and immigration, finding the private car, drive time, perhaps checking luggage, security line, walk to gate....so many possible delays, and you have no chance for even the smallest thing to go wrong. Select a later flight.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. We will look to change the flight. We are using frequent flyer miles for a family of 4 so our options are somewhat limited. The 9:25 flight was the "best" in terms of connections and travel time. However, many valid points have been made so if it means 2 connections and getting home after midnight, it's probably better to be safe than sorry.

We live near Tampa and cruise often and use our airport a lot. We really didn't think that 2 1/2 hours from disembarkation to get through security was cutting it too close. We will reconsider.

Thanks again, everyone! This was my first cruise critic post.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. We will look to change the flight. We are using frequent flyer miles for a family of 4 so our options are somewhat limited. The 9:25 flight was the "best" in terms of connections and travel time. However, many valid points have been made so if it means 2 connections and getting home after midnight, it's probably better to be safe than sorry.

We live near Tampa and cruise often and use our airport a lot. We really didn't think that 2 1/2 hours from disembarkation to get through security was cutting it too close. We will reconsider.

Thanks again, everyone! This was my first cruise critic post.

Thanks for getting back with us.

Sometimes price, convenience, and logistics do not neatly align.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!:)

Archived