Maple products in Canada

HI,

We are doing a cruise which includes Halifax, Corner Brook, Sydney, and Quebec City. Where are maple products going to be the most reasonable and the best?

Thanks

Nancy

Do you mean maple syrup, maple sugar, maple candy, maple furniture, maple baseball bats?

Thanks-I meant maple syrup and candy-I guess I'll try to get it in Quebec. It makes nice gifts for grandkids and family.

Nancy

There is a maple factory/retail store outside of Peggy's Cove in Halifax. The factory will not be producing as it is the wrong season. You can google the factory to see their product list.

Dave

Make sure you try a small sample before you buy alot of it.. I had a grand-parent in law , that lived in canada and made his own syrup, and candy in a small shed .. Being from the states, I was not a fan of the flavors.. It is nothing like log cabin ! :eek: and you can buy the sugar candies in little packs ( candy is shaped like maple leafs ) in almost every store up there . They make nice gifts .:)

That's because Log Cabin is not maple syrup.

OP if you are asking about the best prices, try simply purchasing at the supermarket.

There is a large supermarket close to the port in Halifax. It would be your best bet if you want to buy a lot and price is important. They should have some maple candies as well. All for maybe half the price of a touristy stand in Old Quebec.

Log cabin is to Maple Syrup like Tang is to Orange Juice.

There's a candy store on the waterfront in Halifax. (I can't remember the name) I bought a jar of Maple Pepper. It is delicious. I sprinkle it on salmon. Last night, I made rainbow trout, squeezed some lemon, sprinkeld the maple pepper. Delicious. I steamed butternut squash, sprinkled the maple pepper. Didn't need to add butter or anything. It was about $5.00, easy to pack. Great gift idea.

There is a large supermarket close to the port in Halifax. It would be your best bet if you want to buy a lot and price is important. They should have some maple candies as well. All for maybe half the price of a touristy stand in Old Quebec.

Log cabin is to Maple Syrup like Tang is to Orange Juice.

Love it! And so true. I believe Log Cabin is 2% or 3% maple syrup and the rest is just corn syrup or other sweetener.

That grocery store is very nice. I didn't look for maple products there, but given its size, they probably do have it. The syrup in the maple leaf jars that you buy in souvenir stores is always pretty, but you're paying an extra price for the bottle.

Do take a walk through the farm market in Halifax. You might find other local items for gifts. Not fresh food, obviously. But there were a couple of stalls with yarns and knitted things, and also soaps if you know someone who likes handmade soaps. And there will be maple products.

I saw maple flavored cookies and sandwich cookies in Canada. When I got home, I discovered that I could buy the same cookies at a local store!

There's a candy store on the waterfront in Halifax. (I can't remember the name) I bought a jar of Maple Pepper. It is delicious. I sprinkle it on salmon. Last night' date=' I made rainbow trout, squeezed some lemon, sprinkeld the maple pepper. Delicious. I steamed butternut squash, sprinkled the maple pepper. Didn't need to add butter or anything. It was about $5.00, easy to pack. Great gift idea.[/quote']

Thanks for the great idea! I'll be looking for maple pepper for sure. :cool:

I saw maple flavored cookies and sandwich cookies in Canada. When I got home, I discovered that I could buy the same cookies at a local store!

Totally off topic, but your post reminded me of our trip to Sorrento, Italy. We tasted Limoncello for the first time and we came home with 5 bottles of it, eager to share with friends and family our amazing new liqueur.

The next time we went to our local liquor store, I found three different kinds of Limoncello! :o ;)

Thanks for all your kind replies I just want to pick up some souvenirs and gifts. When we were in Italy, one of our tour guides told us that the locals make their own limoncello and they all think theirs is the best. If you have to buy it the best is fromSorrento and Capri so your gifts were still special. Have you ever tried it over vanilla ice cream? It is very refreshing!

Thanks again,

Nancy

Totally off topic, but your post reminded me of our trip to Sorrento, Italy. We tasted Limoncello for the first time and we came home with 5 bottles of it, eager to share with friends and family our amazing new liqueur.

The next time we went to our local liquor store, I found three different kinds of Limoncello! :o ;)

Sometimes the global economy makes it difficult to shop for souvenirs. :rolleyes:

Australia was a huge challenge. So much of what we saw was made in China.

Sometimes the global economy makes it difficult to shop for souvenirs. :rolleyes:

Australia was a huge challenge. So much of what we saw was made in China.

That's why we try to buy a small piece of local art or craft, often from a talented street artist, when we travel. :)

All this maple talk made me hungry, so I went to the cupboard where my stash of "Acadian Maple Products" Maple Syrup Treats (Gateries Sirop d'Erable) was located and I popped one individually wrapped maple-leaf-shaped hard candy in my mouth.

A 1/2 pound of these tasty bits of maple heaven make the perfect souvenir. And they last a long time. I purchased these in Sept of 2010, and they are still good. I won't return to the Halifax area until Sept of 2013, so they have to last until then. Much thanks to our tour driver, Bruce for introducing us to these maple candy treats. I think I will purchase some maple pepper, too.

Just spent the weekend with my French Canadian BFFs and I mentioned this thread to them.

If you do buy actual syrup, besides the candy, they said to read the labels and make sure you buy:

No. 1 Clear

as this is the highest quality.

My friends are very particular about food so I think this is good advice.

You can buy the syrup in tins so it is easily transported.

Archived