Rome to Dulles Flight 11/3/12

KathyPet

Disembarkation from Silhoutte in Rome. Ship arrives at 4:30 AM. Can I make a 9:45 AM flight from FCO? Sure hope so cause it is the only one I can get using FF miles.

Also what is the best way to get to the Airport early in the AM? It's a Saturday if that makes any difference. Ship shuttle? Taxi????

You should be at the airport 2 hours in advance--so you need to be off the ship by 645 AM to allow for an hour to get to the airport.

You want to have a shuttle/cab waiting for you at the port--not waiting around for X.

I recommend RomeCabs. We are using them for transfer to/from port in November.

There are numerous posts asking this and the general consensus is, maybe, but you might be in for an extremely stressful morning,as it is generally about a one-hour journey to the airport and you need to be there at least two hours ahead of the flight. You would need to self--disembark, which means moving your luggage off the ship without assistance. You will need to hire a private car service, and you will need a solid backup plan in case you miss the flight. You are MUCH better off taking an extra day and flying home the day after the cruise. In my opinion, it is unlikely you'll make that flight.

For everyone's general knowledge: Part of the reason for the amount of time needed at FCO is the special checkin procedures for all flights to the USA. These flights are processed through "Terminal 5" which is solely a check-in/security/immigration facility. You will go through those procedures in T5, then get bussed to the actual concourse with the departure gate.

The T5 building is a former cargo building separated from the regular terminal arrangement. So, if you are on a USA-bound flight, as opposed to an intra-Schengen flight, be sure that your driver knows to take you to T5 and not just to the main terminal area.

9:45 is crazy.

Not sure why everyone thinks docking at 4:30 means getting off at 4:30. We docked at 4:45, nobody left the ship before 7:15. There was a Princess ship docking at the same time, nobody got off that ship before 7am.

I agree. When we arrived in Venice it was 9:00 am and we still had a 45 minute wait for them to clear the ship. Then we had to wait in the terminal for immigration people to arrive to clear the passengers. Italy is not known for efficiency, and the chances of there being anyone available to clear the ship and then process immigration/customs before 7:00 am is slim to none.

I agree. When we arrived in Venice it was 9:00 am and we still had a 45 minute wait for them to clear the ship. Then we had to wait in the terminal for immigration people to arrive to clear the passengers. Italy is not known for efficiency, and the chances of there being anyone available to clear the ship and then process immigration/customs before 7:00 am is slim to none.

That's much like saying "The sun is not known for its darkness" :p

Is this on UA? If so, you will have a very difficult time, IMO, if you miss this flight, as there are not a lot of options.

I think this early flight is going to be difficult to make. You definitely need to arrange transportation in advance, and I also like Romecabs. Very reliable.

While this flight is risky, it is more doable than others on this board have opined. Celebrity (when I sailed on Silhouette into Civitavecchia) recommended flights no earlier than 10:30am, so a 9:45am flight is not too much earlier than their recommendation. While there is always a chance of the ship pulling into port late (i.e. weather, mechanical problem, diversion because of person overboard etc.), assuming the ship arrives on time, is not delayed in being cleared by local authorities and that you are capable of doing self-disembarkation you should be able to make this flight.

Typically debarkation begins around 6am on Silhouette (on my cruise it was even a bit earlier) and at that time of day there is not a mad rush to get off the ship - so you can be off quickly (assuming you can carry your luggage). You will absolutely need reliable private transportation needed as a Celebrity shuttle will not leave until full (so you would lose lots of valuable time). On weekends at 6am there is not a lot of traffic, so barring something unusual it should not take more than an hour to arrive at FCO - so you stand a very good chance to make it to the airport by 6:50am-7:20am assuming no delays and that you self-disembark and hustle.

That said, this assumes no delays. You will have minimal wiggle room if anything goes wrong as FCO is a large airport and you will have at least three different lines to traverse on route to your gate. You will have to decide if the risk of a delay causing you to miss your flight is worth the convenience of booking this particular flight.

So if I can get off the ship by 6:30 AM I should be getting out of the cab at FCO at 7:30. That gives me a hour and 45 minutes to check a bag, get through security and get to the gate. THey usually close the doors 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time so I need to be at the gate by 9:30 AM. I really don't have a lot of choice here since this is the only direct flight between FCO and IAD that has FF mileage seats available. Can anyone recommend a reliable cab service and give me approximate cost for the taxi service???

...I really don't have a lot of choice here since this is the only direct flight between FCO and IAD that has FF mileage seats available....

Have you already obtained your FF tickets for the 9:45 am non-stop to IAD? At the moment, there are no "saver award" tickets available (30,000 miles) but I see seats on the 10:15 am flight to Frankfurt, with a connecting flight to IAD. The availability situation is dynamic and it changes from day-to-day.

So if I can get off the ship by 6:30 AM I should be getting out of the cab at FCO at 7:30. That gives me a hour and 45 minutes to check a bag, get through security and get to the gate.

You first go to Terminal 5 at FCO, which usually opens about 7:00 a.m. You then must wait in line to check in for your flight, drop off your bags, go through passport control and security screening. The lines can be very long. Or you could get lucky.

Then you go to the "waiting area" where you must wait for a bus to take you to the G gates. When the bus arrives at the G gate, you must go up the stairs to get from the tarmac to the G gate area. Then you need to get to your departing gate.

THey usually close the doors 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time so I need to be at the gate by 9:30 AM.

No. Note UA requires you to complete check in and baggage drop no later than 60 minutes before your flight for international travel. You must be at the gate, ready to board at least 30 minutes before your flight. So, for a flight scheduled to depart at 9:45, you must be at the gate no later than 9:15 or you can have your seat given away.

I really don't have a lot of choice here since this is the only direct flight between FCO and IAD that has FF mileage seats available. Can anyone recommend a reliable cab service and give me approximate cost for the taxi service???

Of course you have choices; your choice is to book this flight.

Our experience-2 cruises into Civi (Rome):

Both docked around 4-4:30am and we were off the ship at 6:00. Had pre-booked shuttle for our CC group of 8 once and 10 the second time. (left by 6:15) Trip to airport took 50 & 55 minutes. Took about one hour to get thru all the lines. We easly made a 10:15 and 10:30 flights. (seated in gate area before 9:00)

As others have said, if something happens to delay the process along the way, you could miss your flight. Only you can decide if it is worth the risk.

My one suggestion is to not go with a group to the airport. It can slow you down if someone is late to the meeting place or can't find their luggage, etc.

Good Luck! :)

Thanks to all for your advice. I have decided to go for the 9:45 flight. I will try to be in a cab by 6:15.AM Hopefully with it being a Saturday traffic will be lighter than during the week and the travel gods will smile upon us.

Everyone's risk level is different. But make sure you understand the consequence of missing your flight. Travel insurance won't cover the situation since it's an award ticket. And they won't cover the cost of tickets on an alternate flight since you booked a flight that was contrary to Celebrity's recommendation, and with no room for error (they get to decide whether or not your schedule was too aggressive or not). Check the last-minute walkup fares from FCO to the East Coast...they ain't cheep !

The airline might rebook you for no charge...it's up to the whim of the agent at the airport...but be prepared to arrive home 1-2 days late. Hopefully that isn't an issue. OTOH, if you barely make the flight your luggage may not be loaded and you will have to go back to the airport to retrieve it when it arrives on a later flight.

Let us know how it goes...hopefully uneventful and drama-free !

OP, what happens if you miss your flight? Have you checked into that? Could you be faced with paying for a last-minute one-way ticket? The airline isn't under obligation to put you on another flight at no additional charge. You're accepting the risks.

Have you already obtained your FF tickets for the 9:45 am non-stop to IAD? At the moment, there are no "saver award" tickets available (30,000 miles) but I see seats on the 10:15 am flight to Frankfurt, with a connecting flight to IAD. The availability situation is dynamic and it changes from day-to-day.

This is an excellent suggestion! The extra 30 minutes could make a huge difference. Also, experts please correct me if I'm wrong, but as the initial flight goes from FCO to Frankfurt, the OP should be able to avoid terminal 5, which would also likely save additional time.

This is an excellent suggestion! The extra 30 minutes could make a huge difference. Also, experts please correct me if I'm wrong, but as the initial flight goes from FCO to Frankfurt, the OP should be able to avoid terminal 5, which would also likely save additional time.
FCO to FRA would be an intra-Schengen flight that would NOT operate from T5.

Can anyone recommend a reliable cab service and give me approximate cost for the taxi service???

I used Rome in Limo. They did an excellent job. I had arranged a 6:30 pick up, but ended up getting off the ship about 20 minutes earlier and the driver was already there. We had a group of six and the cost was 170 Euros. Would be cheaper for a party of two.

Last fall when we did the Med. cruise our last night was in Naples. Several passengers had made arrangements to disembark there after they toured. They took a train to Rome and spend the night near the airport. They felt it was a better option than worrying and feeling panicky the next morning about getting off, etc. Just a suggestion.

Archived