How far in advance do you start staging for your cruise?

Sbilko

I mentioned this on the Noordam Roll Call for our cruise, but thought I should ask here also.

DW and I are sailing on the Noordam TA of Oct. 22, 2012, but we are spending a week in Paris and a week in Rome prior to our cruise. We fly across the pond on Oct. 7, 2012. Now I work a great distance from home, and only get home every third week. My DW has been staging everything for our trip for two weeks now,:eek: God Bless Her.:D She has been weighing and rearranging things, and was pleasantly surprised when I informed her that due to being in Business Class, we each could check two suitcases, now she can take more stuff.:eek:

My question is; How far in advance do you start staging for your cruise?:confused:

... the day we book the cruise:) Afterall, we have to plan what type of clothing will or might be needed. We have to book air and hotels depending on which port we are cruising out of. Hubby wants to know what restaurants are around the hotel(s), etc.....

Joanie

Usually about 90 days before for serious prep. I will book out the hotels and such right after booking if I can.

I pull out the luggage about 30 days prior so I can take my time in deciding what goes in it.

I have a packing list that gets printed off and then followed diligently.

I always pack early and get organized way before the cruise ...excursions,hotels basic daily plan of activities etc

I consider this fun anticipation plus I write everything si as not to forget stuff I actually did pack

I have a book I kep all my travel notes in

I print all itineraries and receipts

Now I put stuff in my toy ...my iPad under notes ..so I can read ..I even copy paste stuff from here re ports and what not to miss

I love the iPad it allows me to post pictures on Facebook so family can see what I.m up to because wifi is not always available in terminals so I post when I can plus Internet is usually not cheap or fast on ships

On ship I write my summary letters then email them from cafes or restaurants at a later time when there is wifi .it worked pretty well this summer

You will love the med but I suggest you organize all ahead of time plan each port day

Bon voyage

We did 20 days on Noordam ...loved the itinerary

I may be the world's biggest procrastinator. I do try to arrange shore excursions and plan our port activities well in advance. But, when it comes to actually packing and getting everything ready to go, I usually don't really get started until the night before we leave. I travel a lot on business and I've got really good at packing quickly. My SO, on the other hand, is already "purchasing and packing" for our December cruise. LOL

1st congrats on booking a great vacation, since we have taken 55 cruises we normally wait to the day before to pack, but most of our vacations are much shorter than the one you are taking. ( love flying 1st or business class )

We book excursions, hotels, and flights at least 6 months ahead, especially if we do extensive land trips pre-cruise as you will be doing. As for actual packing, that doesn't happen until 1-2 weeks before we leave. Everything is ready to go long before that though. :D

Flights/hotels are booked typically 90 to 120 days out, right around the date of final payment.

Plans as to what is going to be done while at port prior/post cruise... EONS before we actually get there! :D;)

Plans as to what we'll do for excursions, EONS before we even book! :D

Plans as to what will be packed, 60 days for a general idea & then actual packing with things that won't be needed prior to the cruise is approx a month.

We leave in 35 days, getting to the port in 32 days, so I'm COMPLETELY in count down mode.

OP your cruise sounds aweseome!

Derek

By "staging" I presume you mean gathering the "things" that will be needed on the trip, and setting them in a place so they'll be ready for packing.

When the notice comes in that my documents are ready, I bring out the folder for that cruise. When I think of it, I add the passport to that pile, and that builds over time.

I usually have the suitcases brought up 10-days to 2-weeks, before, depending on when I can get help with that. Mentally, I start packing during this entire period. Then, I pack one or two weekends before I leave, depending on the day of the week I depart.

My suitcases were brought up yesterday, and I plan to pack this weekend. I know exactly what I will be taking, so packing is simply a matter of putting the things in the bags.

I leave next Thursday, so all is under control.

I don't start gathering the stuff together until about 3 weeks before hand but the private tours, hotels, air fare are done as soon as I can arrange them. I love the planning - it's part of the fun:)

I usually don't really get started until the night before we leave. I travel a lot on business and I've got really good at packing quickly.

I do the same thing and probably for the same reason, business travel experience.

Usually about 90 days before for serious prep. I will book out the hotels and such right after booking if I can.

I pull out the luggage about 30 days prior so I can take my time in deciding what goes in it.

Would you mind sharing that list with us or starting a new thread here with a packing list? Probably done a hundred times here on CC but it made me think "that's a great idea" Why re-invent the wheel right? We are not going for 7 months but it will come up quick.

Thanks!

~Bob~

I'm over 4 months away and have been planning and even "staging" (putting things in packed away suitcase for a few months. As my trip is to the other hemisphere now is the time to buy certain summer items which are now on clearance and will not likely be available when it's time to pack for real.

The moment that I even think about booking a cruise, I check on my favorite hotel for availablility and then check the airline. Then I book and then~~ cruise prep is my mission:D No matter how many times I cruise, the next one is just as exciting as the first one.

We are 140 days out - Hotels are done, tours are done, to flight is done, return flight - still looking for better price, rental car is done but may change if rates get better close in. The snorkel gear is in it's own suitcase packed and ready to go. We have a drawer in the guest room chest with our "normal cruise stuff" in it all the time (but we can't find the corkscrew). We leave home Jan 15 - so when the kids leave from their Christmas visit we will starting laying our stuff out on the bed and then put them in the suitcases the day before we leave.:D:D

Years ago we made a packing list.. and each cruise we deleted or added things from experience. Too the advent of the unlimited laundry allowed us to trim the list even more. We keep the list in out sampsonite 28" spinners ( best suitcase I have ever found) and for a 45 day travel/cruise we only fill our suit cases 3/4 full and have one each at about 40 lbs.( even though we are allowed 70 lbs and 3 pieces each with United).

Hotels and connections and tours are done the week we book the cruies and all secured, This is usualy about 300 days out. We book air first using miles , then with that secure we go for the cabin and cruise.

Finaly secure the tours the same month because some ports have limited availability in resources that might get exhausted.

Then about 48 hours before we pack and sleep on it, 24 ours we think if the needs of the trip are such that can eliminate or add something..

For example, I am going on a china/south pacific grand cruise/tour of 56 days in October 2013. I have completed all reservations and arrangements last month. I wont look at them again till September 2013

We leave in 30+ days for a longer-for-us cruise in the Med. I have been planning and booking tours ever since we booked the cruise. Airline was booked six months ago. Right now we are picking up small things we need, a new pair of walking shoes, more socks etc.

New carryon suitcases have been purchased to meet current International size restrictions but no packing has occurred yet. I doubt we will start to pack until a week before, but I will make sure everything is drycleaned or pressed between now and then.

Tickets were purchased for a Vatican tour earlier this week, all our tours are booked, and many have been paid for.

Getting ready for vacation is a lot of work!! :eek: :D

We think alike !

Now that dh and I hsve our confirmation that the cruise is paid for, I have started to get stuff ready.

We leave on the Noordam on November 5. Leaving Toronto airport for FLL on the 4th. Hotel is booked. Air is booked. In laws are also all booked and probably already packed except for meds.

By "staging" I presume you mean gathering the "things" that will be needed on the trip, and setting them in a place so they'll be ready for packing.

When the notice comes in that my documents are ready, I bring out the folder for that cruise. When I think of it, I add the passport to that pile, and that builds over time.

I usually have the suitcases brought up 10-days to 2-weeks, before, depending on when I can get help with that. Mentally, I start packing during this entire period. Then, I pack one or two weekends before I leave, depending on the day of the week I depart.

My suitcases were brought up yesterday, and I plan to pack this weekend. I know exactly what I will be taking, so packing is simply a matter of putting the things in the bags.

I leave next Thursday, so all is under control.

Have a great cruise, Ruth. May the sun shine the entire time. :)

Archived