Sleeping on the balcony?

jarz85

We have a room booked on the Allue next year that has a big balcony. Is it possible to take the rollaway bed out there and sleep on it overnight? Is this safe? Will I get eaten by bugs!? Has anyone slept on their balcony before? If so I'd love to hear your story! Thanks!

Well I dont think you will have to worry about bugs lol. :D

I cant help you with the rest of that though as Im not a balcony cruiser. Sounds like a neat idea though depending on the weather. I cant sleep if its really hot and humid

Thanks for the replies... i forgot about the loungers!!! We will be requesting a rollaway bed because we have 3 unrelated adults in one suite!!

Maybe ill just try it one night... if i want to come in and the door is locked ill just wake the others up!!

Thanks for the replies... i forgot about the loungers!!! We will be requesting a rollaway bed because we have 3 unrelated adults in one suite!!

Maybe ill just try it one night... if i want to come in and the door is locked ill just wake the others up!!

There will be at least three berths, if you are booking three people in it. No need for a rollaway.

From what I read the AC won't work unless the balcony door is locked. Do you really want to be locked out :confused:

I'm guessing NO!

###

I thought the door just had to be shut...not locked :confused:

I thought the door just had to be shut...not locked :confused:

Seems to be some minor conflicting data but the majority claim the door has to be in the locked position on Allure of the Seas for the air conditioning to work.

The latch on the doors (which IS the lock) needs to be engaged shut for the the AC to work on Allure. I am pretty sure the same is true for Oasis. This is different from pretty much all the other ships out there in that yes, your balcony must be locked closed for the AC to work. We had an issue with the AC 2 weeks ago on Allure and called maintenence about it. They were able to look up our room and tell us exactly what time our balcony door had been placed in the unlocked position. (Apparently the cabin attendant did not fully engage the lock after she turned down the room that night.)

I will add to this...

If you call Maintenance, they can "look at" your balcony door on their computer and tell you if it is closed and locked or not.

On our last cruise on the Allure, we had a bad switch in the door which showed that the door was not closed and locked even though it was. It took me awhile to get this resolved because the girl on the phone kept giving me the "official reply" from the "book of rules" she was reading from. I finally took the issue to Guest Relations and that got me a new switch.

But keep this in mind. If the balcony door is not closed and locked, the system turns on the heat in your cabin to remove condensation.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1486940

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1690388

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1554498

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1615871

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1340758

Okay, maybe my bad on the lock. I don't remember it that way on Oasis. How can all stateroom occupants go outside and enjoy the balcony without lockong themselves out??!! ... Edit: I get it. You can go out, but it will not be cool when you return!

We had a huge balcony on Serenade one cruise and we were 3 gals in a cabin. One is a wicked snorer . . she slept on the balcony the whole trip and loved it. The room steward made up the lounger like a bed . . . with a duvet as a mattress pad and another duvet for on top. We left the balcony door closed tight, but not locked. Worked like a charm and we all got a peaceful night's sleep:)

We had a huge balcony on Serenade one cruise and we were 3 gals in a cabin. One is a wicked snorer . . she slept on the balcony the whole trip and loved it. The room steward made up the lounger like a bed . . . with a duvet as a mattress pad and another duvet for on top. We left the balcony door closed tight, but not locked. Worked like a charm and we all got a peaceful night's sleep:)

This may be a wonderful option for those booked on RCI ships that aren't Oasis-class, which the OP is travelling aboard. ;)

From what I read the AC won't work unless the balcony door is locked. Do you really want to be locked out :confused:

I'm guessing NO!

###

He is traveling in late April and we slept almost every night with the balcony door open as every day was refreshing in the early morning. As for bugs, you do wake up docked in port early in Nassau so bugs would be possible there. Most mornings are a bit damp though.

Beware of the rogue wave. ;)

And passing rain shower! :eek:

I slept outside on our Liberty cruise ... it was completely accidental but definitely a good night. Not too hot and humid because the ship was moving. Nice breeze and wonderful to hear the ocean.

What would it be like in late April/early May?

I was debating wether or not I wanted to try sleeping out there one night just to see what it was like. Probably would have just used the extra blankets as a mattress.

Maybe you have to lock the door for the A/C to work, but why can't the person on the balcony just unlock it when they want to come in? At least on Explorer, there was a handle to unlock the door on from both sides... Why would they make it possible to lock someone out on the balcony on other ships?

I was debating wether or not I wanted to try sleeping out there one night just to see what it was like. Probably would have just used the extra blankets as a mattress.

Maybe you have to lock the door for the A/C to work, but why can't the person on the balcony just unlock it when they want to come in? At least on Explorer, there was a handle to unlock the door on from both sides... Why would they make it possible to lock someone out on the balcony on other ships?

Because it is possible to climb from one balcony to another and you know somewhere, somebody did it with bad intentions. Every ship I've been on you can come out on the balcony and latch the door closed, the air still operates and you can get back in easily. It is possible, and I believe I have heard it happening where one person is on the balcony and another person forgets and locks the door before they leave.

The OP is in a GS if memory serves.

We are in an Owners Suite! Get your facts right :D

I should make our next trivia question... "What category cabin are we in!?"

If I'm going to sleep on the balcony I guess it will be the night we leave Nassau. That way it won't be too hot??

Archived