Mini-Suite, Suite, or Regular?

bzv143

Mini suites are a little bigger than balcony cabins. I understand they have a sofa which gives you a little sitting area inside the cabin. Suites are even bigger plus have some perks to go along with it such as eating breakfast in Sabatini's, free laundry, and complimentary dinner on embarkation night in a paid restaurant onboard. CB also has a small category formerly called Window Suites but with the new categories W7. It is a full suite with no balcony. I was in one on the Golden and am booked on the CB in one next September. It is centrally located on deck 6 near the Passenger Services desk. Pricing can be the same as the lowest mini suite category. Hope this helps.

On Caribbean Princess, what would be the advantage of booking a mini suite or suite over a balcony cabin (other than size)? There is no Concierge Club on board, is there?

We are undecided. Help!

We book balcony cabins on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, but find the balcony rooms on Princess too small, with almost no interior sitting area. So, on Princess, we book the mini-suites. No other perks to speak of, other than the enjoyment of the added space and a much nicer bathroom.

Thanks!

Question...which would you book on a 4 night out of New York to Bermuda and back? In late October?

We have really struggled with this same question... Looks like a fun little cruise that has major potential for relaxation due to the sea day to port day ratio. :)

Thanks!

Question...which would you book on a 4 night out of New York to Bermuda and back? In late October?

If price is no object, go for the full suite. Another big advantage to the full suite is being able to order room service from the dining room menu. A very nice perk.

For the mini suite, the full tub is a nice perk. A shower in the full tub is nice for larger persons... Room to turn around and get clean:) Really:)

Oh! The sofa in the mini is very nice for naps at any time. I recommend

them:)

You can't go wrong with either choice. I would be super happy with either one:)

On Caribbean Princess, what would be the advantage of booking a mini suite or suite over a balcony cabin (other than size)? There is no Concierge Club on board, is there?

We are undecided. Help!

The Caribe deck regular balcony cabins (BB and BA) have nice large balconies, half covered / have uncovered -- are are quite nice. Plus, the Caribe deck is such a nice location.

The mini suites mostly have completely uncovered balconies -- except on the Emerald deck in which there are completely covered -- not very many of them -- they are at the very back. These are very nice cabins as well but the ones at the very aft along the sides of the ship have extended balconies -- quite special. The one on the port side, however, is right above the night club speakers, so maybe some noise. The one on the starboard side is fantastic. We really wouldn't book an uncovered balcony again -- had one in very rough seas and woke up to someone that couldn't / wouldn't make it to the bathroom for their sea sickness. Ah, that'll convince you waking up to that every morning spattered all over your balcony. Not the cruiseline's fault -- maybe more of a faulty design.

Anyhow, the mini-suites come with a larger bathroom with a tub and a sitting area with a pull out sofa. I am not convinced they are all that much better than the Caribe deck balcony rooms, which actually have a larger balcony than the mini's. But again, Caribe deck balconies are half un-covered, so could still get that problem from above. I don't figure it happens all that often -- but first time we got one and it left a lasting impression. The mini's also come with a welcome glass of champagne (not a big deal).....and two tv's - one for the sleeping area and one for the sitting area....that is kind of a plus for me. I think they could have improved on the design a bit -- they is a bottle neck area where the fridge and shelving area sticks out between the bedroom and sitting area....but I would take it if the price were right.

The full suites seem to never be 'on sale' but that is where you will get your perks. I understand you can have room service from the dinner menu in your room -- what a plus!! I also believe you can have breakfast in Sabatini's and a couple of other perks used to be available -- not sure if they still are -- for complimentary laundry, internet and bar set up? Evn if not, I think the priorty boarding and tendering still applies. Maybe I will find out one day, but if not a bargain, I doubt it.

They dropped the unlimited internet in July which really upsets me. I love the extra room in the cabin and balcony. And the MDR room service is great but now that is gone since they dropped the MDR lunch on port days - that perk is almost worthless. We have never had a price drop on any of our suites even when they were unsold ones left. When we first started booking them, you had to grab one right away but not now. As someone else said, if price is no object, then go for it. I also noticed that the price has really increased the last year. Our steward was the worst ever on our last one (may have just been him but not special treatment like we always got before ). We have three cruises coming up so we will decided when we return if we will continue to book them.

You may be disappointed with Princess full suites if you are expecting anything more than a large comfortable room. We had one for our 25th and it was OK. I would save the money and get a mini unless you can get a deal. Suite perks have been downgraded. We never use room service so the full service menu doesn't have any benefit for us. No concierge lounge. No butler. And, no unlimited internet, Before I would spend the money for a full suite, I would put it towards a cabin on a luxury or near luxury line. Much better food and service and a more pleasant experience. But, it all depends on what you are looking for. If you have kids, you need a ship with activities for them. Perhaps they have a special itinerary on Princess. Maybe you like the production shows? Hope this helps.

i always book the last mini-suite on the starboard side on emerald deck. i love the extra large balcony especially sailing in the caribbean and mexico. i am a sun aholic person. and since the balcony is completely covered, i can choose to be in the sun or partially out of it. i like the little extra sitting area with sofa and it's own tv. a grand place to nap too! and the larger bathroom is very nice too. i've never been in a suite on princess but from what others have said, it doesn't sound to me like it's worth the extra expense unless money is no object.

no matter what you decide, it's always better being on a cruise than not being on a cruise.

cheers

And the MDR room service is great but now that is gone since they dropped the MDR lunch on port days - that perk is almost worthless.

I don't think the perk is 'almost' worthless since there are still 2 other full meals you can get delivered on port days. We usually order the full dinner a number of times on a cruise; especially if it was a port intensive day and we're exhausted. We've also ordered a full breakfast if we're leaving on tour too early to have a leisurely breakfast at Sabatinis and on disembarkation day.

I don't think the perk is 'almost' worthless since there are still 2 other full meals you can get delivered on port days. We usually order the full dinner a number of times on a cruise; especially if it was a port intensive day and we're exhausted. We've also ordered a full breakfast if we're leaving on tour too early to have a leisurely breakfast at Sabatinis and on disembarkation day.

Lunch is our favorite time to eat out on the balcony so for us, it is.

It is all about why you cruise - everyone does for a different reason - that's why there are so many cabin categories on ships and so many different activities.

Oceania and its' corporate partner RSSC and Azamara are lines that come to mind. Even Seabourn has offers that compete with full suite prices. Celebrity will give you butler service. Even NCL has butlers. Princess suites are nothing more than a nice cabin.

Don't they double the night count if you're in a full suite so a 7 night cruise adds 14 nights to your cruise total?

They don't double the days cruised count but you do get credit for 2 cruises (since loyalty levels are number of days cruised OR number of cruises). In other words, you reach the higher loyalty levels faster but you aren't any closer to the 'most traveled' luncheon than someone sailing in an inside cabin:p.

Thanks!

I would book either an Ocean view , interior or a window suite if you want the extra room and perks. The weather at the end of Oct out of NY is iffy. Last year we had a snow storm that same weekend. It may be too cold and windy to use the balcony. I was looking at that cruise and it seems that the interiors and ocean view rooms were the first to sell out.

i always book the last mini-suite on the starboard side on emerald deck. i love the extra large balcony especially sailing in the caribbean and mexico. i am a sun aholic person. and since the balcony is completely covered, i can choose to be in the sun or partially out of it. i like the little extra sitting area with sofa and it's own tv. a grand place to nap too! and the larger bathroom is very nice too. i've never been in a suite on princess but from what others have said, it doesn't sound to me like it's worth the extra expense unless money is no object.

no matter what you decide, it's always better being on a cruise than not being on a cruise.

cheers

Good to hear. I have that cabin (E731) booked in January 2013.

Even before the change in port day lunches this "perk" was worthless. You are eating the exact same food as everyone else on the ship, except you are sitting alone in your room. Somehow they managed to fool us into thinking this is a valuable perk.

Even before the change in port day lunches this "perk" was worthless. You are eating the exact same food as everyone else on the ship, except you are sitting alone in your room. Somehow they managed to fool us into thinking this is a valuable perk.

I agree especially since other cruise lines offer this service in any booked category. Personally I don't know how eating a meal hunched over a coffee table can be enjoyable.

I love eating any meal on a suite balcony. It is just so relaxing. It is too bad other cabins don't have the table and chairs.

There are so many people that love balconies but don't want to pay the suite prices that it's too bad they don't have a few cabins with suite size balconies - they could charge a little more and I'm sure there would be plenty of people that would want them.

Sailed in an Emerald mini on the CB in March port side. It was right above Club Fusion; however, I only heard the thump of music a couple of different times. Neither time was obtrusive. I highly recommend the Emerald minis since their balconies are fully covered.

I'm on the CB again this November to So. Caribbean and in a Lido BA Balcony. I know it'll be a step down from the mini, but am looking forward to the different experience.

I have stayed in a Caribe deck balcony and a Mini-Suite on the Caribbean Princess and a Window Suite on the Golden Princess. If the price is right I would grab the window suite again in a heartbeat. The cabin is in a perfect location and is very roomy, with a separate shower, jaccuzi tub, and double sinks in the bathroom. It also has large picture windows so you can easily see the ocean.

I much prefer the Mini suite over the balcony because the cabin is larger with a sofa and table and two TVs and the bathroom has a full tub instead of the small shower which is in the balcony bathrooms. However the balcony on most of the Minis is fully open with no shade and the balconies on the balcony cabins are either fully covered or partially covered on the Caribe deck. For a shorter cruise, the balcony would be fine and I would not spend a lot to upgrade to a Mini suite.

By the fact that it is limited, it is a perk on Princess since passengers in other cabins don't have that opportunity. But as with the other perks I would advise anyone considering a full suite to look at the entire list - undoubtedly some might be more important to you than others.

Regarding MDR meals - it's not necessarily the food (although it is usually good), it's the beauty of sitting on your balcony (we try to get an aft balcony suite) watching the sun set (for example) on San Francisco sailing out under the Golden Gate Bridge. It's also great when we don't feel 'sociable' - we vacation to be alone together - but it isn't a major reason we book a full suite.

Sabatini's breakfast, use of the spa's thermal suite, free laundry (we aren't elite), priority tenders, priority boarding (before we became platinum) are some of the 'perks' that are, in addition to the much larger cabin, important to us.

To the original OP - only you can decide what makes sense to you (economically, emotionally, etc.) -- whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you, all you wonderful posters. I surely learn a lot from you! :)

On the cruise we are looking at, all the insides, outsides, mini-suites, and most balconies are sold out. We decided on the "Premium" Suite...gulp, way up front on Lido Deck. We'll be a rockin' and a rollin' on the Atlantic, I am supposing. Good thing I like a rough sea.

Anyone ever stayed in this suite, by the way? I can't find ANY pictures.

Archived