Veendam failed latest cdc inspection

Are you sure downsizing is such a bad thing were it so? You present it as a total negative concept when it could well be a positive if done well.

I'd have to think about it a bit but HAL not being a 15 ship fleet may not be a bad idea. IMO .... but I haven't thought it through yet. ;)

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about a downsized fleet.

Ok I am now nervous as I sail 12/3/2012. I thought that it was just air-conditioning problems. I will bring plenty of Pepto-Bismol.

I'd also bring a package of Clorox wipes and wipe down the whole cabin-especially the bathroom. Don't leave anything to chance.

Hopefully, they will correct the violations before December 3.

Good luck.

Terri

May I ask if you've considered an alternative yet? We just booked an Azamara cruise and have a Eurodam 2013 cruise scheduled. Like you it might be our last.

We surely have. We will go to Honolulu for 3 months! Looking forward to it. Hawaii is our favorite place on earth. After working in 14 ships among the 105 I have sailed I think I'm pretty much done with sailing...for now anyway

I'd also bring a package of Clorox wipes and wipe down the whole cabin-especially the bathroom. Don't leave anything to chance.

Hopefully, they will correct the violations before December 3.

Good luck.

Terri

It will hopelessly and needlessly clog the toilets...

WOW! Coming from you, that says a lot! Have you thought about another cruise line? We are seriously considering Oceania.

We will forfeit future cruise credits, but it is becoming clear to me tha HAL does not put the safety and health of their passengers first. If so, the corrective report would have been submitted already and according to the CDC website, it has not. Are they hoping to get out of Dodge (sail to South America) without doing so?

Terri

Hi, Terri

NOPE, not considering any other line. We have sailed with most of them. Stayed with HAL because that's where our friends have been. Now planning land stays - 3 months in Honolulu coming this winter.

Prisondam May 17 to sail his goodbye cruise with the best Hotel Manager in the fleet. Getting off in Hamburg on June 14. It's my favorite city in Europe. Will stay a few days...

Hi, Terri

NOPE, not considering any other line. We have sailed with most of them. Stayed with HAL because that's where our friends have been. Now planning land stays - 3 months in Honolulu coming this winter.

Prisondam May 17 to sail his goodbye cruise with the best Hotel Manager in the fleet. Getting off in Hamburg on June 14. It's my favorite city in Europe. Will stay a few days...

Sounds like you have picked a very nice cruise indeed:):D

The violations in the inspection that Veendam failed do not directly affect the pax and will not impact on your sister's cruise whether or not they are all corrected before her cruise. The potential for any problem she might or not have (chances are probably not) on the ship are systems issues such as cabin AC/Heat and plumbing. These are not addressed in the inspection and are long-standing issues on the Veendam.

sludge dripping on clean dishes don't affect the pax? in my book they do.

Pehaps someone here who was on board the ship should print out the complete thread and mail it to Seattle.

I am starting to regret booking the Westerdam after some of the stories, I haven't sailed with HAL for about seven years so this is making me uncomfortable about all their ships.

I think staffing levels in all departments on the Veendam have been cut to the point that proper maintenance and service no longer is possible. Many of the other ships may be getting to this point, too, but it also may be a clue that the Veendam's days are numbered as part of the HAL fleet and not a dime more than needed to keep it afloat is going to be spent.

My feeling is that if it is permitted to happen on the Veendam, it is only a matter of time before the same thing happens on the other ships in the fleet.

Terri

I can't shake the same thought! Many have speculated about what is going on with HAL, but the fact it IS going on, is all I need to make my cruise decisions.

I think staffing levels in all departments on the Veendam have been cut to the point that proper maintenance and service no longer is possible. Many of the other ships may be getting to this point' date=' too, but it also may be a clue that the Veendam's days are numbered as part of the HAL fleet and not a dime more than needed to keep it afloat is going to be spent.[/quote']

I tend to agree with you about the Veendam as of late. The last cruise I took on HAL was the Veendam in April of 2012. It was fine. The way some people talk on this board it makes it sound like HAL has totally changed. I've been cruising with HAL for a very long time and I think they still have a decent product. Makes me wonder if some are more high maintainance then others. Don't get me wrong, the issues happening on the Veendam now are gross. I cruised on Celebrity at the end of May and the experience was nowhere near as nice as HAL.

These inspectors may be working from the same rule book, but certainly individuals could interpret the rules somewhat differently. so things that got passed on the last inspection might fail this time. Since the rules are so stringent, a small variation could make a big difference. One would think that all of the inspectors examine a ship on a very standard basis, but in reality one inspector having a bad day could probably spell disaster for a ship. I would be more concerned if the review, or next inspection also produced a similar low score.

I tend to agree with you about the Veendam as of late. The last cruise I took on HAL was the Veendam in April of 2012. It was fine. The way some people talk on this board it makes it sound like HAL has totally changed. I've been cruising with HAL for a very long time and I think they still have a decent product. Makes me wonder if some are more high maintainance then others. Don't get me wrong, the issues happening on the Veendam now are gross. I cruised on Celebrity at the end of May and the experience was nowhere near as nice as HAL.

I honestly think that the issues with the Veendam have really thrown everyone off. The one thing you could normally count on from HAL was a good CDC inspection. Some of the problems are very scary indeed.

I think most are afraid that the problems will spread through the fleet. Especially with no response seen from HAL on the report back:confused: I hold out hope that it will not ;) I think the Veendam has it's own issues which is very sad indeed.

That being said I too think the product is decent and agree with your experience with Celebrity.

The Veendam situation is shocking but I'm not ready to write Holland totally off at this point. I'll be watching these boards and the CDC site very closely, time will tell. I would not book Veendam under any circumstances and feel bad for those who have bookings made. Feel especially bad for anyone who is past final payment and would lose thousands to cancel.

I hope anyone with bookings calls Holland America, their travel agent, consumer organizations, they need to raise h.... ASAP.

Archived