Prinsendam Review....not good.

amster65

Thanks for the link -

a horrific review - no question - this is one of those I take with a grain of salt.

first of all they are really ticked about the single supplement being charged and then decided to but 3 in a room.

BUT if this person was truly in an S as they claim - there are not 3 tiny beds as they describe. (from their review So we had three people stay in a very tiny room with three beds lined up (the couch bed could not be put down everyday) Only a couple of feet empty between each bed and you had to climb over the third bed to go out on the balcony. I am sure the dimensions would not have meet the NATO standards for jail cells.) - there is a king size bed and a sofa. Somehow this part doesn't make sense to me at all (and I have been in an S on the Prinsendam). So, either they don't know what category they had or they are over dramatizing. The S's on the Prinsendam are nicely designed - well laid out and you could (if you chose) put three in a room and I would say relatively comfortably. Two would be in the king size bed and the other on the sofa - and/or substitute if the sofa didn't pull out. The description does NOT match an S on the Prinsendam at all:rolleyes: Now they might have had the king split up, but there would be no reason to put the other bed there - plenty of room in the sitting area!

I grant you she is scheduled for drydock very soon and may need some attention - but somehow the story I'm reading here doesn't strike true with me.

I've sat at the Lido and the sea view pool early in the morning and watched as they put the chairs back out. I've seen the chairs washed, the deck washed, etc.

I know - because it didn't happen to me doesn't mean it didn't happen - but I can smell an upset person because of a problem a mile away.

I saw no problems with acoustics in the dining room. The dining room is enchanting IMO (but we were in the forward section). it sounds like this person couldn't adapt to a smaller ship. There is ONE dining room on this ship. It is well run and very gracious.

Things might have changed since I have been on but when some things don't ring true I have a hard time giving credence to the rest of the review.

Yes, we were one of those that LOVED the ship - I make no bones about it. and not everyone will (this is a ship you either love or hate - it is a ship not a floating hotel) - BUT when part of the review is not accurate and blatantly loaded with venom - it's hard for me to believe any of it.

Sorry, but that's just my opinion.

Wonder if the black soot/sludge comes from burning cheap bunker oil? I'll be embarking on the Prinsendam in 4 weeks. I'll remember to take photos/videos and post them on Youtube if warranted.

nope - Holland America uses a special oil that permits them to still go to antartica. None of the ships use that. Part of their environmental awards.

We'll look forward to your review as the ship is scheduled to go to drydock in November.

Thanks for the link -

a horrific review - no question - this is one of those I take with a grain of salt.

first of all they are really ticked about the single supplement being charged and then decided to but 3 in a room.

BUT if this person was truly in an S as they claim - there are not 3 tiny beds as they describe. (from their review So we had three people stay in a very tiny room with three beds lined up (the couch bed could not be put down everyday) Only a couple of feet empty between each bed and you had to climb over the third bed to go out on the balcony. I am sure the dimensions would not have meet the NATO standards for jail cells.) - there is a king size bed and a sofa. Somehow this part doesn't make sense to me at all (and I have been in an S on the Prinsendam). So, either they don't know what category they had or they are over dramatizing. The S's on the Prinsendam are nicely designed - well laid out and you could (if you chose) put three in a room and I would say relatively comfortably. Two would be in the king size bed and the other on the sofa - and/or substitute if the sofa didn't pull out. The description does NOT match an S on the Prinsendam at all:rolleyes: Now they might have had the king split up, but there would be no reason to put the other bed there - plenty of room in the sitting area!

I grant you she is scheduled for drydock very soon and may need some attention - but somehow the story I'm reading here doesn't strike true with me.

I've sat at the Lido and the sea view pool early in the morning and watched as they put the chairs back out. I've seen the chairs washed, the deck washed, etc.

I know - because it didn't happen to me doesn't mean it didn't happen - but I can smell an upset person because of a problem a mile away.

I saw no problems with acoustics in the dining room. The dining room is enchanting IMO (but we were in the forward section). it sounds like this person couldn't adapt to a smaller ship. There is ONE dining room on this ship. It is well run and very gracious.

Things might have changed since I have been on but when some things don't ring true I have a hard time giving credence to the rest of the review.

Yes, we were one of those that LOVED the ship - I make no bones about it. and not everyone will (this is a ship you either love or hate - it is a ship not a floating hotel) - BUT when part of the review is not accurate and blatantly loaded with venom - it's hard for me to believe any of it.

The reviewer apparently has never posted on CC other than posting this review. He/she has traveled with Princess "many times before," so perhaps he/she was not used to a smaller ship (only one dining room, etc).

The reviewer apparently has never posted on CC other than posting this review. He/she has traveled with Princess "many times before," so perhaps he/she was not used to a smaller ship (only one dining room, etc).

or has a single supplement axe to grind:rolleyes::p Princess does have a couple of smaller ships but I don't think as small as this - If the reviewer was on the 'bigger ships' they were probably in shock (so to speak)

Thanks for the link -

I've never sailed on the Prisendam but I feel that kazu is correct is saying this review had a lot of VENOM in it. I take some of the review's only with a grain of salt and try to read between the lines. However, I suppose this person is entitled to their opinion.

nope - Holland America uses a special oil that permits them to still go to antartica. None of the ships use that. Part of their environmental awards.

We'll look forward to your review as the ship is scheduled to go to drydock in November.

I found the November 2012 dry dock dates. Does anyone know what all will be done at that time?

From the review she states "Our room was in the half of the ship in the upper veranda. The location was great except each night you heard the 2nd show through the floor until 11 each night. Not a problem if you go to bed late but was a problem for my group who retired early to get up early each morning to tour. The low ceilings of the show room reverberated through out this part of the ship. It might not have been such a problem had we been warned but it did create 14 days of sleeping hell. "

From this description it would almost lead me to guess they were actually in BC104 - a triple on upper Promenade directly above the showroom. The size of a BC vs S is significant"

The reviewer mentioned the din in the dining room. One reason I switched away from the Nieuw Amsterdam was because of the reported din in that dining room.

totally agree with you - I hated the noise in that dining room. I've sailed both. The Prinsendam is quiet compared to the NA IMO. (we could hear a lady three tables over - I think the ceilings are too low in the NA, but that's JMO).

or has a single supplement axe to grind:rolleyes::p Princess does have a couple of smaller ships but I don't think as small as this - If the reviewer was on the 'bigger ships' they were probably in shock (so to speak)

The two Princess ships, Ocean and Pacific, are actually smaller than the Prinsendam. Having been on both of those and having been on the Prinsendam a number of times, I'll take the Prinsendam, but also enjoy the Princess ships.

Yes, the Prinsendam is an old "gal", but has charm for us, plus the unusual ports. We board in two weeks and hope she still has that charm that we've enjoyed before. It's been about a year and a half since we've been onboard.

My understanding that when she is in drydock, just after we arrive FLL and before the Amazon cruise, the outside seating area of the Lido is to be enclosed. There has not been enough seating area in the Lido since they added the extra cabins and it's a problem when weather is not cooperative for sitting outside. Other than that, I don't know what is to happen - hopefully a general freshening.

It also seems the cruise probably started negatively for this person due to the supplement issue.

The ship is headed off to Tampa from Fort Lauderdale on 15 Nov., right? I heard the main work is to enclose the open deck aft of the Lido restaurant.

correct along with new tenders. btw - that aft area of the Lido is very pretty. Closing it in will make it easier to eat out there - especially on a TA. I suspect there will be soft goods as well:D Other than that, the rest is a secret;)

Don't wish to the the devil's advocate but does HAL burn this clean fuel all the time or only when headed down to Antarctica? I'll be watching emissions from the smoke stake in Europe, after we get to the open ocean, and when within 200 miles of the U.S. (will have a GPS receiver on my computer to log the route). I was on the Island Princess in May (before the new low-sulphur fuel standards came into effect) headed up the west coast and noted the brown plume being emitted.

The worst review I've ever read. As for the supplement, wouldn't HAL have already been paid for the person who had to cancel (past final payment date, I assume) so the insurance reimbursed that person. Why would the other pax have to pay double? What am I missing here?

As for the rest, I don't believe in attacking the poster for a negative review. There must be some basis in truth. Just ignore and move on unless you know for sure none of those issues existed.

From the review she states "Our room was in the half of the ship in the upper veranda. The location was great except each night you heard the 2nd show through the floor until 11 each night. Not a problem if you go to bed late but was a problem for my group who retired early to get up early each morning to tour. The low ceilings of the show room reverberated through out this part of the ship. It might not have been such a problem had we been warned but it did create 14 days of sleeping hell. "

From this description it would almost lead me to guess they were actually in BC104 - a triple on upper Promenade directly above the showroom. The size of a BC vs S is significant"

I think you are right - however, at the top of the page where you put your cc name and cabin category = the reviewer said their category was S (which is what I tend to look at when I hear comments on cabins).

The worst review I've ever read. As for the supplement, wouldn't HAL have already been paid for the person who had to cancel (past final payment date, I assume) so the insurance reimbursed that person. Why would the other pax have to pay double? What am I missing here?

As for the rest, I don't believe in attacking the poster for a negative review. There must be some basis in truth. Just ignore and move on unless you know for sure none of those issues existed.

The first person received their cancellation insurance for their half of the room. If the remaining person had bothered to take out cancellation insurance the single supplement would have been reimbursed by the insurance company. I am guessing person 2 had no insurance or there would have been no issue.

If I were looking at reviews as a way of deciding whether or not to book a cruise on Prinsendam, I would discount this particular review as an outlier. I tend to toss out both the overly complimentary and overly derogatory reviews when doing research, and I know I'm not the only one.

On the other hand, reading this and some other recent reviews suggests that HAL should perhaps be doing a better job of setting clear expectations as to what sailing on a smaller ship is like. Personally, I love smaller ships, but for people who have only sailed on large ships, it's not automatically understood that dining options and entertainment are often more limited on small ships.

Also, the higher cost per person/per cruise relates more to economies of scale (fewer passengers to spread the fixed costs among) than to a more "luxury" cruise experience. I suspect many people see the higher per diem or total cruise cost associated with a smaller ship and anticipate that they'll get a more luxurious cabin, a premium dining experience, and so on.

Thanks for the link -

There seems to be a deck missing on the Prinsendam?

The S cabins are separated from the showroom ceiling by an entire deck of veranda cabins. We have cruised in several of them, one was a portside cabin 5 back from the front, right over the showroom and could barely sometimes hear the bass of the shows or cast practice sessions. In the showroom, it can get very loud at times, but no problem in our cabin. It was totally not bothersome at all. Then again, our favorite cabins on the Vistafjord were right above the Garden Lounge, with similar acoustics, so maybe it was us. I really do not think so, we would not have booked that area multiple times.

As far as the La Fontaine, we have had tables all over the rooms, both the rear large area and the side part. When the ship was the Seabourn Sun, there was a continuation of the dining room where the Ocean Lounge and PG is now. and just one open seating, with assigned tables. People came and went then as they do in open seating on HAL now, with no disruption. We have never had a noise problem in any of those dining areas, well, except one cruise in the side area that had a table who seemed to be on a liquid diet, and got more wound up as each dinner progressed. But that was not the room.

We too love that ship and must admit it does need some work here and there, but the drydock should fix that.

what is not said in the review is when the pax had to cancel. if it was inside final payment, hal was dead wrong about asking for more money as a single supp. hal wouldn't have had to refund any money and had absolutely no cause to ask for more. very sleazy if that is what happened.

Archived