6 Hours in Rome - suggestions

walkerspt

We will be disembarking from a cruise in Civitavecchia, taking a cab to Fumincino, dropping our bags at the Hilton and heading into Rome for the day. We were in Rome many years ago but will now be seeing it as if for the first time. We would welcome suggestions on itinerary, transportation, places to grab a bite to eat, etc.

I visited Rome back in May. Given your time constraints, I have one suggestion. The hop on hop off bus. The concierge at the Hilton will know where to pick it up nearby. There are a number of them, just go with what's closest. They take you on a loop through and around the whole old city. There are about 15 stops, and you can get off, walk around and get on the next one wherever you want. They come by regularly, there's a schedule they give to you. They have a narrated tour along the way.

I am assuming there is a Hilton at the airport which you are refering and not the Caliveri Hilton in Rome

Traffic into and out of Rome is at best crazy and I would allow at least 1 hour each way and then some. I would also suggest the train as it is way faster than any taxi. and get off in San Pietro rather than central station because no crowds, no hassel and its right where you want to start

I would hire a private guide who can arrange all the details and reservations in advance and get preference to enter museums

We got a private guide last year and it cost about $400, in 6 hours we saw the sistine chapel, Vatican museum, The Laterain and central Rome At the Vatican museum we had no line and a reserved time... because the regular line stretched about 1/2 mile

With 6 hour I would pick maybe 2 things that interest you and focus on them..and it is you who needs to figure what you want to do

In 6 hours I would not waste any time eating

We will be disembarking from a cruise in Civitavecchia, taking a cab to Fumincino, dropping our bags at the Hilton and heading into Rome for the day. We were in Rome many years ago but will now be seeing it as if for the first time. We would welcome suggestions on itinerary, transportation, places to grab a bite to eat, etc.

We are doing the reverse end of October & staying at the Hilton before our cruise. If you read today's Toronto Star page T11 it is a story on what to do in Rome in 5 hours and it gave us great information for what time we had to spend in Rome. We were going to do the Hop on Hop off bus but was put off it by reading Trip advisor. I would rather take the train in & walk or cab it around depending on time. Good luck.

Start at the Coliseum and than take a taxi St Peters walk to to Navonna Square, walk to the Pantheon and than to the Trevi Fountain and than take a taxi back to your hotel. Taking a taxi just a couple of times will be cheaper than the HOHO bus. Don't even try the HOHO bus with that limited time as you'll spend most of your time waiting for the bus. Your other option is to hire a guide to drive you. We have used Rome Cabs many times and they are excellent.

Rick Steves:

"Rome in a Day

Some people actually try to "do" Rome in a day. Crazy as that sounds, if all you have is a day, it's one of the most exciting days Europe has to offer. Start at 8:30 at the Colosseum. Then explore the Forum, hike over Capitol Hill, and cap your "Caesar Shuffle" with a visit to the Pantheon. After a quick lunch, taxi to the Vatican Museum (the lines usually die down mid-afternoon). See the Vatican Museum and take a short-cut from the Sistine Chapel directly into St. Peter's Basilica. Taxi back to Campo de' Fiori for dinner then walk to Piazza Navona for dessert"

Another option is to visit something closer to the airport like Ostia Antica.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostia_Antica

There are Cotral buses from FCO to Lido di Ostia.

Can you clarify if you are spending the night at the hotel and flying out the next morning, or do you have to be back at the airport for a flight in the evening? If it is the former, you can have more than 6 hours in Rome and it would be a different itinerary I would suggest.

Also, you might look into arranging a shared ride to the airport with some folks on your roll call. It'll be a lot less expensive than getting a cab for two at the port.

We stayed at the Hilton and took their shuttle into Rome last May. Be sure to check the shuttle's schedule. It goes every half hour part of the day and every hour the rest. On our first trip to Rome, we did the Sistine Chapel with reserved ahead tickets and saw that whole area competely in a few hours. This time, I got tickets ahead of time for the Collesum and we viewed that whole area in depth. I don't think you could do both in 6 hours, so pick one and enjoy!

I'd book a walking tour with Rome In Limo, they last 3-4 hours and cover an immense amount of area. All you have to do is get into Rome via taxi and they will meet you wherever you want. We did this on arrival both times we flew into Rome and each was wonderful. The cost was around 180E and worth every penny.

Archived