Our 50 Night Reflection Odyssey

C 2 C

October 20th:

Last night we had the pleasure of eating in Tuscan. There is for us no finer experience than to sit at a table overlooking the water in this fine restaurant. For appetizers, Joanne had her favorite steak tartar while I had a delicious beef ravioli followed by THE ONION SOUP (I can’t praise this choice enough so I had to shout it out). The filet mignon was perfectly grilled. However after a meal like this we are incapable of even sampling the dessert and we know that we will carry the results of our feast with us for a while.

As this inaugural voyage comes to an end there are a few general observations. We have found no fault with the service nor the food throughout the cruise. That is an outstanding feat for a first sailing and I have to commend the entire ship’s staff for a wonderful onboard experience. The weather has been horrible but that is of course beyond anyone’s control. The upside is that there has never been a problem with chair hogs on the upper decks. Last night in the Sky Lounge, as we were discussing the cruise, an observation was made: One would never know that this is an inaugural cruise. Even though this is the 1st, it could have been the 11th or even the 111th. Celebrity has done nothing to distinguish this voyage from any other. It is very difficult to bring this topic up with staff onboard however because there is tendency for anyone to take negative remarks as a personal attack on their ship, their pride and joy. We were on the inaugural Solstice sailing and we still have a few special mementos of that sailing. Some have expressed that there should be more than bragging rights for the extra paid to be on an inaugural voyage. That “oversight” is a comment aimed at Miami HQ not at anyone onboard.

Back to back procedure:

At noon today we received our letter for tomorrow’s turn around. There is no immigration or customs procedure because we boarded in the same Eurozone (actually there is more complex but totally forgettable term) and there is no, how do I say this politely, antiquated Jones act equivalent on this side of the Atlantic. Just imagine sailing from New York to Miami to Key West or any other American port without an intervening near or far foreign port and just walking off the ship at the end without the need to be inspected.

Disembarkation will start about 6:30am. We may proceed ashore without any custom or immigration inspection. “A complimentary lunch for our treasured consecutive cruisers (with a transit pass) will be available in Bistro on Five between 11:30 and 3:00pm”. Guests must be back from shore no later than 3:45pm for the mandatory Boat Drill at 4:15.

It is now 1:30 in the afternoon and after another dismal morning sky, we are now exposed to sunshine for the first time! Another first for this voyage was the ability to log on to the internet on my first try. It still takes about two minutes or so for a page to load in... As Captain Pagonis would say, “Bye for now.”

October 20th:

Last night we had the pleasure of eating in Tuscan. There is for us no finer experience than to sit at a table overlooking the water in this fine restaurant. For appetizers, Joanne had her favorite steak tartar while I had a delicious beef ravioli followed by THE ONION SOUP (I can’t praise this choice enough so I had to shout it out). The filet mignon was perfectly grilled. However after a meal like this we are incapable of even sampling the dessert and we know that we will carry the results of our feast with us for a while.

As this inaugural voyage comes to an end there are a few general observations. We have found no fault with the service nor the food throughout the cruise. That is an outstanding feat for a first sailing and I have to commend the entire ship’s staff for a wonderful onboard experience. The weather has been horrible but that is of course beyond anyone’s control. The upside is that there has never been a problem with chair hogs on the upper decks. Last night in the Sky Lounge, as we were discussing the cruise, an observation was made: One would never know that this is an inaugural cruise. Even though this is the 1st, it could have been the 11th or even the 111th. Celebrity has done nothing to distinguish this voyage from any other. It is very difficult to bring this topic up with staff onboard however because there is tendency for anyone to take negative remarks as a personal attack on their ship, their pride and joy. We were on the inaugural Solstice sailing and we still have a few special mementos of that sailing. Some have expressed that there should be more than bragging rights for the extra paid to be on an inaugural voyage. That “oversight” is a comment aimed at Miami HQ not at anyone onboard.

Back to back procedure:

At noon today we received our letter for tomorrow’s turn around. There is no immigration or customs procedure because we boarded in the same Eurozone (actually there is more complex but totally forgettable term) and there is no, how do I say this politely, antiquated Jones act equivalent on this side of the Atlantic. Just imagine sailing from New York to Miami to Key West or any other American port without an intervening near or far foreign port and just walking off the ship at the end without the need to be inspected.

Disembarkation will start about 6:30am. We may proceed ashore without any custom or immigration inspection. “A complimentary lunch for our treasured consecutive cruisers (with a transit pass) will be available in Bistro on Five between 11:30 and 3:00pm”. Guests must be back from shore no later than 3:45pm for the mandatory Boat Drill at 4:15.

It is now 1:30 in the afternoon and after another dismal morning sky, we are now exposed to sunshine for the first time! Another first for this voyage was the ability to log on to the internet on my first try. It still takes about two minutes or so for a page to load in... As Captain Pagonis would say, “Bye for now.”

100% agreed, there is no way to tell this is the first. Very very minor kinks, that could happen on any cruise. My main concern is the loud noises a I've and around my cabin as it did not have this issue on equinox (8279). Not sure if it has to do with inaugural though.

October 20th:

Back to back procedure:

Glad to hear your enjoying yourself, i think the issue with the inaugural cruise your on is that Celebrity dont think it is and are having that after the naming ceremony on the 1st of december in miami after we get off the ship.

Barry

Arno:

I know that you know DTW. Is 1hr 40 min enough time to clear Customs and get to another flight. Or should I play it safe and take a flight with a horrible 3 hr 45 min layover?

I'm a worrier by nature. What if your departure is delayed? Play it safe! We always find a way to fly direct since we almost missed a connection. Have a great, and sunny vacation. We actually saw the sun today...

100% agreed, there is no way to tell this is the first. Very very minor kinks, that could happen on any cruise. My main concern is the loud noises a I've and around my cabin as it did not have this issue on equinox (8279). Not sure if it has to do with inaugural though.

What type of noises do you hear?

I'm a worrier by nature. What if your departure is delayed? Play it safe! We always find a way to fly direct since we almost missed a connection. Have a great, and sunny vacation. We actually saw the sun today...

I'm also a worrier and booked the later flight. Paid $522.28 pp, a great price! last year I did the same and glad I did. The plane was late into JFK and those on the earlier flight to FLL missed it. Continue to enjoy and say "hi" to JoAnne.

I'm also a worrier and booked the later flight. Paid $522.28 pp, a great price! Last year I did the same and glad I did. The plane was late into JFK and those on the earlier flight to FLL missed it. Continue to enjoy and say "hi" to JoAnne.

Hi Arno:

Glad that it's going well. Jefferson Ang and Lindsay Hamilton are two of my favorites.

Hi Orator,

I knew you had great taste. Jefferson Ang & Ms Hamilton are two of our Celebrity favorites as well. We are hoping Lindsay will be on Eclipse next month. Not only is she an incredible performer, but a very sweet person too !

October 20th:

Back to back procedure:

Hi Arno,

As always, thank you for your updates. I wish you and Joanne a wonderful continuation of your Cruise - Oh, and I'm rooting for sunshine !!! :)

Hi Arno,

As always, thank you for your updates. I wish you and Joanne a wonderful continuation of your Cruise - Oh, and I'm rooting for sunshine !!! :)

I also look forward to Doug Cammeron (sp) and Karin Grainger. They once did a duet that should have been recorded! Fantastic!

Had the pleasure of hearing Doug recently on Summit. He performed with Fusion at the pool and in Michaels with the orchestra as well as a headline act. What an accomplished musician and entertainer!! . Is he expected to be on Reflection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Arno, we will be leaving sunny and warm Southamerica to join you on the reflection in Venice. It is a pitty that there was nothing special on that inaugural cruise. On the other hand, I am glad that they seem to have everything under control. Maybe we can suggest they do something special for the first transatlantic?

martini bar: Agus, Edgae, Marco, Adi.

I can't handle paying for drinks other than wine... ;)

Did I mention Park West is back.. :(

Captain's Club has it's own office, without future sales which has been sent to deck 12.

The end is here.

I can't upload my pictures for some reason. Photobucket won't co-operate.

689782055_ReflectionSkyLounge.jpg.90dcfbb4eb953f4d9d66081167afe241.jpg

martini bar: Agus, Edgae, Marco, Adi.

Did I mention Park West is back.. :(

Captain's Club has it's own office, without future sales which has been sent to deck 12.

The end is here.

Sorry to hear that PW is back. Now we'll have more "Art Auction Ripoff" threads.

Wow, you're going to forget where you live, you'll have been gone so long! My wife and I will be on the Barcelona to Miami portion...so we are really excited. How has the cruise been so far? Any tips or tricks learned? We'll be in one of the new Concierge spa suites...can't wait.

Hi Arno, Oh, and I'm rooting for sunshine !!! :)

Me too!

Thanks for tolerating the aggravating internet connection in order to send a few crumbs to those of us who are starving. ;) Hope your adventure continues to be safe and fun, and of course, fingers crossed that the weather becomes glorious for the remainder!

We will be joining you for the last leg from Barcelona to Miami. Make sure you kick off any grumps in Barcelona before we board. Low tolerance for grumps! :mad:

What type of noises do you hear?

I think I determined it to be nearby toilets. Very loud. Kept me up many nights. Also general banging and/or housekeeping noises I think. Really wondering if others heard the same. It definitely put a damper on my cruise since it took away a good amount of sleep for me. Today the banging started at 530am, but it was disembarkation day so it's to be somewhat expected.

martini bar: Agus, Edgae, Marco, Adi. thanks- names do ont ring a bell buti might know a face. knew peter and one other.

Did I mention Park West is back.. :( waste of space.

Captain's Club has it's own office, without future sales which has been sent to deck 12. makes sense of a large ship

The end is here. no it is not as you are staying on for another 30 plus days.

it will -ask the IT guy.

I think I determined it to be nearby toilets. Very loud. Kept me up many nights. Also general banging and/or housekeeping noises I think. Really wondering if others heard the same. It definitely put a damper on my cruise since it took away a good amount of sleep for me. Today the banging started at 530am, but it was disembarkation day so it's to be somewhat expected.

That's not good. Please post a cabin report so I can add it to the spreadsheet so others will be informed.

October 21st Barcelona

Although the day started out overcast and threatening we were actually treated to a pleasant day in Barcelona. For the first time we could actually spend a relatively warm afternoon on our balcony. We moved to a different stateroom closer to the front of the ship but the move was simple once the former occupant finally left, well after the announcement that all departure numbers had been called. By 10 am we were already moved in and all luggage stowed.

For some reason this cruise already seems to feel more crowded and noisier than the previous one. After a very tasty lunch in Bistro on Five, we ventured into the terminal for our two bottles of wine to tide us over the “dry days”, those days when the elite lounge is not operating. We have come to the conclusion that lining up for the 45 minute Senior Officer’s Cocktail party is no longer worth the effort. As Yogi would say, “no-one goes there any more, it is just too busy”.

There is a new twist to the posted dress code: Mon Oct 23rd is declared formal evening attire but Fri Nov 3rd is listed as “Cocktail Attire”. The wording next to *Formal/Cocktail Attire is

· “Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or pant suit.

· Gentleman: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks”

In the Spotlight, not published last week lists the following officers:

· Captain Nicholas Pagonis

· Hotel Director Damien O’Connor

· Cruise Director Nick Weir

· Guest Relations Manager Alex Stylianou

· F&B Manager Mark Tomley

· Executive Chef German Rijo

Arno,

Love your daily posts! Thanks for using your precious internet minutes to do this.

Makes us all the more excited to board the ship two weeks from today!

Good question: are Zumba classes listed in the daily program? Or maybe they won't offer them until the TA since the Med. cruise is so port-intensive.

Hi to Joanne and keep on relaxing!

Sheila and Andy

Archived