Our 50 Night Reflection Odyssey

C 2 C

Question for you---- The cruise director on your trip- Nick Weir--- do you know him?? The picture looks soooo familiar, and I wonder if you would know, or if you could ask him for me. Many years ago I brought a group of 20 or so on a cruise on the Costa Romantica- and we had a cruise director, that I thought was the most terrific ever, and even after many many cruise later, I still think so. I always thought he reminded me a little of Tom Hanks-and now that I see the picture of Nick Weir-- I am wondering if it was him. Could you find out for me---and if it is true- let him know that one of his biggest fans has been wondering about him for years!

Hi TravelDr,

Sorry to interrupt Arno's thread, but the answer to your question is.... YES, it's the same Nick Weir ! I've met Nick a few times, and I believe he worked for Costa, sometime around the Mid 90's.

Here's a thread from the Costa forum dated 2005, with some interesting Nick Weir comments: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=139225

I hope this helps !

I am starting to panic we decided on the reflection because the martini bartenders thought they were going to her. Nueman and Ocho are great! Hopefully they make on board before we get there!!

:eek:

Well I spoke online yesterday to Martini Bar Peter, who we have done around 9 cruises with and is amazing - he's opened every S class ship and I really expected him to be on the RF, but he's told me he's on the Equinox right now, which is a real shame for us on the RF TA - Oh well, i'll have to book to the EQ now to catch up with him...

Arno,

Looking forward to reading about your experiences on your cruise marathon. And very glad to hear Joanne is doing better.

You mentioned that Jefferson Ang, a favorite of mine, is onboard. Can you please find out from him how long he will be on the ship? I hope to see him in December. :):)

Keep enjoying !!!!

Anne

October 25th

Yesterday my DW realized that she has seriously miscalculated the number of pills required for one of her prescriptions. We asked if the doctor on board could write out a new prescription but were told that his scrip is not accepted on shore. There is no way that she could continue to travel without it. We went ashore in Civitavecchia with a list of prescriptions provided by our pharmacy (a very long list) and found a farmacia. Without a scrip but proof of prescription in hand we were able to find another two weeks supply and a promise of more when we return on our next cruise. How easy it is to make a mistake... count, and count again; add some extra in case of trip delays.

October 26th

Qsine experience: This is the first time we experienced Qsine as a group of five and we came away impressed and stuffed. The different sauces accompanying ways to savor shrimp impressed us the most even though we enjoyed many different courses over more than three hours. We will definitely do it again. The Ipod process we found a bit cumbersome since selecting individual favorites had to be communicated to one another in the traditional manner.. verbally.. Someone should adapt a program to show others at the table what has already been selected and then automatically sent to the waiter.

October 27th

Near Mt Etna lies Catania Sicily, described by the excursion brochure as “beautiful.. a very nice city”, “Elegant, modern”. As we walked out of the port area we must have taken a wrong turn because we did not find anything that fit that description. Anyone visiting the area should be prepared to travel elsewhere such as Taormina or the volcano itself. Our normal practice is to walk away from the ship for 25 minutes so that, as our pace slows down, we can be back after an hour’s walk enough with the temperature expected to 8o degrees today.

The select and elite senior officer’s cocktail party will be held tonight “in an intimate atmosphere”. That can be interpreted as “crowded” ;-) It will be very interesting to see how Celebrity will eventually solve the ever expanding Captain’s Club, especially since there seems to be no other suitable location to hold Elite social hour. I can visualize a scenario where elite drink coupons, redeemable in several bars during a specified time period, will replace a single lounge on ships when nearly a thousand elites are on board. “Drink coupons” might also limit the attempt by some cruisers to absorb every free drop of alcohol humanly possible in a two hour period and the tendency to stagger or “hurl” upon leaving the lounge. Whether this will then be a transition to offering a lounge to a more limited group is speculation on my part. I have not had an opportunity to talk to decision makers but someone on the pre-inaugural may have done so or might do so Dec 1st to the 5th.

Celebrity Showtime tonight features Neil Lockwood performing an Elton John tribute show called “Rocket Man”. At 9:30 pm interested pax can attend a “Belly Dancing Class” in the entertainment court. The party Band D’Revelation will play “Dancing in the Street” from 9:30 to 12:30am in the Grand Foyer. The DJ will play 70’s music in the Sky Lounge for an hour, followed by requests.

October 25th

Yesterday my DW realized that she has seriously miscalculated the number of pills required for one of her prescriptions. We asked if the doctor on board could write out a new prescription but were told that his scrip is not accepted on shore. There is no way that she could continue to travel without it. We went ashore in Civitavecchia with a list of prescriptions provided by our pharmacy (a very long list) and found a farmacia. Without a scrip but proof of prescription in hand we were able to find another two weeks supply and a promise of more when we return on our next cruise. How easy it is to make a mistake... count, and count again; add some extra in case of trip delays.

October 26th

Qsine experience: This is the first time we experienced Qsine as a group of five and we came away impressed and stuffed. The different sauces accompanying ways to savor shrimp impressed us the most even though we enjoyed many different courses over more than three hours. We will definitely do it again. The Ipod process we found a bit cumbersome since selecting individual favorites had to be communicated to one another in the traditional manner.. verbally.. Someone should adapt a program to show others at the table what has already been selected and then automatically sent to the waiter.

October 27th

Near Mt Etna lies Catania Sicily, described by the excursion brochure as “beautiful.. a very nice city”, “Elegant, modern”. As we walked out of the port area we must have taken a wrong turn because we did not find anything that fit that description. Anyone visiting the area should be prepared to travel elsewhere such as Taormina or the volcano itself. Our normal practice is to walk away from the ship for 25 minutes so that, as our pace slows down, we can be back after an hour’s walk enough with the temperature expected to 8o degrees today.

The select and elite senior officer’s cocktail party will be held tonight “in an intimate atmosphere”. That can be interpreted as “crowded” ;-) It will be very interesting to see how Celebrity will eventually solve the ever expanding Captain’s Club, especially since there seems to be no other suitable location to hold Elite social hour. I can visualize a scenario where elite drink coupons, redeemable in several bars during a specified time period, will replace a single lounge on ships when nearly a thousand elites are on board. “Drink coupons” might also limit the attempt by some cruisers to absorb every free drop of alcohol humanly possible in a two hour period and the tendency to stagger or “hurl” upon leaving the lounge. Whether this will then be a transition to offering a lounge to a more limited group is speculation on my part. I have not had an opportunity to talk to decision makers but someone on the pre-inaugural may have done so or might do so Dec 1st to the 5th.

Celebrity Showtime tonight features Neil Lockwood performing an Elton John tribute show called “Rocket Man”. At 9:30 pm interested pax can attend a “Belly Dancing Class” in the entertainment court. The party Band D’Revelation will play “Dancing in the Street” from 9:30 to 12:30am in the Grand Foyer. The DJ will play 70’s music in the Sky Lounge for an hour, followed by requests.

Thanks for the update Arno! We saw an Elton John tribute show many years ago on a cruise and loved it. I hope they repeat it on either our 11/4 or 11/18 Reflection cruise! Also, I am thankful for the update on Sicily... that is one of the few ports that we are going on an organized excursion with other CC members.

Hi Arno:

Thanks for your reports and reminding me to count my meds. Hope JoAnne is doing well. We're scheduled to leave on Monday for Florida, but the hurricane might change plans. We don't leave for Silhouette until November 15th so have abit of time. Best to both of you and hope to cruise with you soon.

Thanks for the update Arno! We saw an Elton John tribute show many years ago on a cruise and loved it. I hope they repeat it on either our 11/4 or 11/18 Reflection cruise! Also, I am thankful for the update on Sicily... that is one of the few ports that we are going on an organized excursion with other CC members.

Hi Joe:) I went on a HAL cruise back in 2004 and I have to tell you....

I saw a guy named Elliott Mason (I think) and he did an Elton

John show.....he looked and sounded so much like Elton that If I had

closed my eyes it would have been "The Star himself" on stage.

Arno, thanks for the updates and glad Joanne is feeling better:)

Hi Arno ~ thanks for continuing to provide updates. Good to hear you were able to get Joanne's meds taken care of in Rome.

I've been saying for a few years that Celebrity should switch to some kind of coupon for one drink in the bar of your choice between 5:00 - 8:00 for Elite members. It solves a few issues: fewer drinks would be consumed overall and it allows those traveling with non-Elites to still join them in a bar of their choice. The only down side is that we have met some great people at the Elite happy hour.

Wishing you continued happy sailing!

Hi Joe:) I went on a HAL cruise back in 2004 and I have to tell you....

I saw a guy named Elliott Mason (I think) and he did an Elton

John show.....he looked and sounded so much like Elton that If I had

closed my eyes it would have been "The Star himself" on stage.

Arno, thanks for the updates and glad Joanne is feeling better:)

Hi Lois! You are absolutely right on... We were on HAL Zuiderdam in September 2004 during Hurricane Jeane and that's when we saw him! I was hoping it was the same guy on Reflection this month so we could see him again!

Hi Lois! You are absolutely right on... We were on HAL Zuiderdam in September 2004 during Hurricane Jeane and that's when we saw him! I was hoping it was the same guy on Reflection this month so we could see him again!

Hi Joe:)..omg...It is a small world:eek:....I went during that Sept Hurricane

season too...same ship. Wonder if we were on the same sailing but

never met......

To be honest with you, other than that show and the Piano Bar on the

ship? Lets just say, I have never sailed HAL again.......

I've been saying for a few years that Celebrity should switch to some kind of coupon for one drink in the bar of your choice between 5:00 - 8:00 for Elite members. It solves a few issues: fewer drinks would be consumed overall and it allows those traveling with non-Elites to still join them in a bar of their choice. The only down side is that we have met some great people at the Elite happy hour.

If you've been saying that may I suggest you cease to do so. One coupon for one drink in one of the ships bars is absolutely not a substitute for the current offer of a 2 hour social gathering with complimentary drinks. Since when has the consumption of complimentary drinks been "an issue" any more than the consumption of paid for drinks?

Many people value this Elite perk highly; to suggest it is just taken away virtually completely is just plain daft and will antagonise many, many Elite members who have supported Celebrity over other cruise lines.

Xellent; please accept my apologies for hijacking your thread, however I just had to react to the above suggestion.

If you've been saying that may I suggest you cease to do so. One coupon for one drink in one of the ships bars is absolutely not a substitute for the current offer of a 2 hour social gathering with complimentary drinks. Since when has the consumption of complimentary drinks been "an issue" any more than the consumption of paid for drinks?

Many people value this Elite perk highly; to suggest it is just taken away virtually completely is just plain daft and will antagonise many, many Elite members who have supported Celebrity over other cruise lines.

Xellent; please accept my apologies for hijacking your thread, however I just had to react to the above suggestion.

Note: There are now several threads on this topic.

Hi Arno, is the elite cocktail hour taking place as usual? There is another thread in which, the OP says elite members on a TA are just receiving a coupon for a free drink in some bars instead of the cocktail hour:confused:

Yes... but I believe that the coupons will be adopted fleetwide as elite numbers are in excess of the capacity of the lounge. Success has killed the best benefit. I will be talking to the HD tomorrow to get details of the upcoming TA cruise. It is not disastrous in my opinion but perhaps a deal changer for heavy consumers of free stuff. As long as people have a chance to share a drink or TWO (not one) in the lounge of their choosing, I believe most people will be satisfied. I still hope that another tier will be introduced for those who are truly addicted to cruising Celebrity-style.

Yes... but I believe that the coupons will be adopted fleetwide as elite numbers are in excess of the capacity of the lounge. Success has killed the best benefit. I will be talking to the HD tomorrow to get details of the upcoming TA cruise. It is not disastrous in my opinion but perhaps a deal changer for heavy consumers of free stuff. As long as people have a chance to share a drink or TWO (not one) in the lounge of their choosing, I believe most people will be satisfied. I still hope that another tier will be introduced for those who are truly addicted to cruising Celebrity-style.

I really believe that the coupon plan may be a test for a new program that will give coupons to Elites and Traditional Service to a new level.

I am starting to panic we decided on the reflection because the martini bartenders thought they were going to her. Nueman and Ocho are great! Hopefully they make on board before we get there!!

:eek:

AMEN to Newman & Ocha !!

DW, Newman & Ocha are Facebook friends & they indeed will be on Reflection for the New Year's Cruise. Whooooopieeeee ! :D

Elite Captain’s Club Benefit: My Take

Access to the Captain's Club Lounge for coffeehouse style breakfast and evening social hour (open daily except embarkation and the evening of the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party)”

When this benefit was first introduced from 4-6pm there were many complaints from pax that only early diners could take advantage because elites could not rush from the pool area in their bathing attire and casual day wear and take their drinks out of the lounge. The time was shifted to 5:00 to 7:00 so that early diners could enjoy a drink before dinner and second seating guests could enjoy the 6-7 time slot.

Since the day the elite perk was introduced there have been complaints and the Captain’s Club host(ess) took the personal attacks and insults from passengers that just refused to follow the guidelines.

· Every day someone would show up in shorts, t-shirts, flip flops and became angered when turned away

· Every day someone would order drinks minutes before 7 and attempt to take their drinks from the lounge.

· Every day people who were non-elites were angered because they could not enter the lounge

· Many elites couples would share their keycard with non-elite friends to sneak them into the lounge.

· Some elite passengers would argue that their best friends or family members not in their cabin should be able to get free drinks.

The policy about to be adopted (I think) fleet-wide is designed to deal with a situation that cannot be solved in any other way. There is no lounge large enough to deal with 800 to a 1,000 elite guests. Elite guests can still gather in the sky lounge where the “menu” will remain the same. There will no longer be someone at the door excluding non-elites nor monitoring the dress code nor preventing anyone from leaving with a drink. Friends who wish to meet in several other lounges such as the Passport Bar, Martini Bar, Ensemble Lounge will be able to get drinks with non-elites. It should be noted that Celebrity calls this the Elite Social Hour not Hours. The only downside of the new policy is that elites will be limited to two drinks during the social hour. In every other way I believe that the new policy is more flexible with fewer hassles and less strain on personnel.

However the change in policy might have been introduced so that a couple of coupons could be added for sailaway day, a nice way to smooth the waters when so many feel that their elite perk has been devastated.

There is a lot of talk about the elite cocktail hour. It would be nice if Celebrity would step up and tell it like it so. Because no one knows what the truth really is it causes a lot of backlash that most of could have probably been prevented it Celebrity was just "up front"

about the change in policy.

Its total BS that when you call the Captains Club they claim to know nothing.

Norma

Elite Captain’s Club Benefit: My Take

Access to the Captain's Club Lounge for coffeehouse style breakfast and evening social hour (open daily except embarkation and the evening of the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party)”

When this benefit was first introduced from 4-6pm there were many complaints from pax that only early diners could take advantage because elites could not rush from the pool area in their bathing attire and casual day wear and take their drinks out of the lounge. The time was shifted to 5:00 to 7:00 so that early diners could enjoy a drink before dinner and second seating guests could enjoy the 6-7 time slot.

Since the day the elite perk was introduced there have been complaints and the Captain’s Club host(ess) took the personal attacks and insults from passengers that just refused to follow the guidelines.

· Every day someone would show up in shorts, t-shirts, flip flops and became angered when turned away

· Every day someone would order drinks minutes before 7 and attempt to take their drinks from the lounge.

· Every day people who were non-elites were angered because they could not enter the lounge

· Many elites couples would share their keycard with non-elite friends to sneak them into the lounge.

· Some elite passengers would argue that their best friends or family members not in their cabin should be able to get free drinks.

The policy about to be adopted (I think) fleet-wide is designed to deal with a situation that cannot be solved in any other way. There is no lounge large enough to deal with 800 to a 1,000 elite guests. Elite guests can still gather in the sky lounge where the “menu” will remain the same. There will no longer be someone at the door excluding non-elites nor monitoring the dress code nor preventing anyone from leaving with a drink. Friends who wish to meet in several other lounges such as the Passport Bar, Martini Bar, Ensemble Lounge will be able to get drinks with non-elites. It should be noted that Celebrity calls this the Elite Social Hour not Hours. The only downside of the new policy is that elites will be limited to two drinks during the social hour. In every other way I believe that the new policy is more flexible with fewer hassles and less strain on personnel.

However the change in policy might have been introduced so that a couple of coupons could be added for sailaway day, a nice way to smooth the waters when so many feel that their elite perk has been devastated.

Hi Arno,

Just to add my 2 cents. Some of the nicest people I have met on board have been Social hour attendees. Most definitely you and Joanne are right at the top. If I had been sitting in a lounge alone elsewhere on the ship, would you have been as quick to invite me to join you? I suspect not, but maybe I am wrong. I feel there is a camaraderie in the social hour venue that is absent in other parts of the ship.

I sincerely hope this is Celebrity's way of preparing people for the introduction of a new level in CC. We shall see.

Anne

My speculation on the unfolding program on Eclipse's experience could be pure illusion. It will be very interesting to see what the response is from Celebrity HQ as the experiment on Eclipse unfolds. My sporadic sources on the Reflection pre-inauguaral and on Eclipse indicate a lot of potential bitterness and I am intrigued what plan unfolds on Reflection as the next Transatlantic cruise is subjected to a large number of elites. Only time will tell but I can't believe the response of some cruisers over this perk. What possible solution can we suggest that would alleviate the problem of a successful program? I have yet to talk to the HD on board but I am sure we will soon hear more from cruisers as they return from Eclipse. 800 0r 900 elites in the smallest lounge in the fleet will be a real challenge to management on board Reflection.

Archived