Pay to Sit at Captain's Table???

I just read a review of the Splendour, and they said you now pay to sit at the Captain's Table???? It is such an honor to be invited, I can't believe they cheapened it into another for fee destination.........

Trish

Maybe they meant the Chef's Table.

But now that bad idea is out of the bag :)

Options include:

$100 per person to sit at the Captain's Table.

$150 per person to sit at Captain's Table during dinner service hours.

$200 per person to actually be served dinner at the Captain's Table.

$300 to sit at the Captain's Table when the Captain is there.

$400 to eat dinner at the Captain's Table when the Captain is present.

***Special D+ and Pinnacle Coupon Offer: Present this coupon for 3 minutes of uninterrupted time to tell the Captain how many times you have cruised and how special you are, with the Captain actually feigning interest!

:p

I've been invited to dine with the Captain once. It was an honor and a memory I will not soon forget.

Eric

Here is the last paragraph of the review by parakalo:

Enjoyed the formal nights (2). The Captain's "cocktail party" was just so-so but likely the only way to introduce him to 1700 passengers! It is a shame that seating at the Captain's table is now a "pay" activity rather than by invitation or request.

Here is the last paragraph of the review by parakalo:

Enjoyed the formal nights (2). The Captain's "cocktail party" was just so-so but likely the only way to introduce him to 1700 passengers! It is a shame that seating at the Captain's table is now a "pay" activity rather than by invitation or request.

That is new to my experience and very surprising. Wonder if the reviewer actually said they sat at the Captains table for dinner to assure this is first hand info or just possibly what they thought and therefore misreported the info? (I have not read - nor do I want to search - the review).

I've been invited to dine with the Captain once. It was an honor and a memory I will not soon forget.

Eric

I've sat beside the Captain at the Compass Deli on Majesty :D We don't take formal wear any more so that is as close as I'll get.

That is not really true. We were invited to the Captain's table on our second RCI cruise and were in a balcony cabin. We were invited again a couple of years later, long before we became D+ or had ever stayed in a suite. And BTW, I sincerely doubt that this is correct.

That is not really true. We were invited to the Captain's table on our second RCI cruise and were in a balcony cabin. We were invited again a couple of years later, long before we became D+ or had ever stayed in a suite. And BTW, I sincerely doubt that this is correct.

I would tend to agree. Until something is published from someone with direct "at the table" experience, I would suspect the report may not be accurate. In our experience, it also typically occurs once a week at each seating - usually on a formal night. Our table was next to the Captains table on Oasis in May and his table was empty all week at our seating except for formal night when he was there with guests.

I have been invited to dine with the Captain when I was in an E2 and was no where near the one with the most C&A points. On the other hand, I was not invited to dine with the Captain when I was upgraded to the Royal Suite on my Med. cruise because I happened to have the most C&A points. (Not a lot of members cruising abroad in the middle of October.)

You know though, it might make a good fundraiser for Wishes At Sea. A minimum of $100(or whatever) pp donation to dine with the Captain.

P.S. to BillOh, we no longer bring formal clothes either. We'll see you at Johnny Rockets on the first formal night.

I just read a review of the Splendour, and they said you now pay to sit at the Captain's Table???? It is such an honor to be invited, I can't believe they cheapened it into another for fee destination.........

Trish

I sat at the Captains Table on FOS in September and there was no cost. I'm sure they must have meant chef's table

Options include:

$100 per person to sit at the Captain's Table.

$150 per person to sit at Captain's Table during dinner service hours.

$200 per person to actually be served dinner at the Captain's Table.

$300 to sit at the Captain's Table when the Captain is there.

$400 to eat dinner at the Captain's Table when the Captain is present.

***Special D+ and Pinnacle Coupon Offer: Present this coupon for 3 minutes of uninterrupted time to tell the Captain how many times you have cruised and how special you are, with the Captain actually feigning interest!

:p

Eric

That is too funny! :D

Lady Astor, when invited to dine with the Captain, replied.....

"Why would I want to eat with the help?"

Then Lady Astor missed out on an amazing experience. Dining at the Captain's table was one of my favorite dinners I have had cruising.

Archived