Freedom Review, No more Key Lime Martinis, or caviar bar.....

sheilb4

This was my 2nd cruise as D+ so it is even more exciting to cruise at this new level...

I was traveling solo as I often do, but was so looking forward to the relaxation, no work, and lots of sunshine.

I live in Tampa, Fl, but decided last minute to drive over to Port Canaveral the night before as there had been some large traffic hold ups, the day prior and I was a little anxious to be caught and possibly be delayed, especially on I-4

Because I decided late, there was only a whirlpool suite left at the Radisson, not the best deal for $, but it served its purpose, was an ok room, except for a strong odor of sewage.... Eeewwwww.

I didn't get there until 10p, so pretty much just went to bed.

The shuttles to the port are still the usual craziness of many people trying to get on the shuttle at the same time. At least they had more shuttles this time, so it wasn't too bad. Many of us were scheduled for the first shuttle at 10.30a....still a lot of waiting but a nice touch that the hotel handed put cold bottles of water for waiting guests.

On arrival at the port is when things started to go a bit south......the Diamond+ and Diamond waiting area was already full (it was only around 11a) so I was shoved along the line to a general waiting area, definitely no preferential treatment there, port staff were irritable and short. Then because of some extra cleaning that the ship had to undergo before boarding the wait was the longest I have ever endured... I think I sat there for about 1.5hrs....Definitely the worst experience at PC for me, and unusually unpleasant staff.

Finally we boarded. I went straight to the library as I had forgotten to bring any books to read. The first thing I noticed was the lack of books. The volume had diminished hugely to what it was last year I was on her. I suspect it Is due to the Increase of kindle users?

I found a book, but really not much choice, so that was a little disappointing. No biggie tho.. I was on vacation and on one of my favorite ships.

Rather than face the crowds in the WJ, I went to the Pool bar and sat down to relax and have my first of several Mango Mai Tais' yum! The bar staff were very pleasant and for a few extra $$ tip I always received great service, they always remembered my beverage and service was always with a smile.

I tended to use this bar throughout the cruise since every day I would be out on deck soaking up as much sun as I could....

Went to see my cabin at the 1p time and was pleased to discover that the cabin steward had already put my bed together instead of 2 separate, and had added the extra eggcrate mattress that I usually ask for. Very thoughtful. My luggage arrived timely too. Very pleased with that.

Spent the afternoon up on deck, sunshine and a few beverages.

Went to dinner at 8p. They have changed the times by 30 mins since my last trip. Looking forward to sampling the new menu. I had asked for a table for 2 prior and was pleased that I had this, tho when I was taken to it, I soon changed my mind. I was sat in the middle of all families with several small children, very noisy, and noone to talk to,,,, surprising since this seating is usually less children,

I asked to be moved, and was. Much better, a quieter area, just couples, no one to talk to, but that's the way it usually is when you travel solo. Sometimes I luck out and get by a table of people that will converse.

Through the week dinner was pretty good, I liked that I would get a separate plate of vegetables every night, as asked for. The wait staff were ok. Nothing special, not exactly brimming over with personality, but not going to sweat the small stuff.... :)

I had checked the weather reports for the week prior to cruising, and they were miserable, but they were wrong! yay!!! we were very fortunate to get lovely weather almost every day. The last night was a little rough, but otherwise no complaints.

I didn't go to the shows as I had seen them several times before.

Concierge lounge was with Willy. Super nice guy. Wait staff were quiet but pleasant.

I preferred the Diamond lounge for the ambience and more lively, but disappointed that exactly at 8p, Raoul (concierge) would turn on the bright room lights and pretty much hunt everyone out. Found that very tacky, and heard complaints about this often.... Raoul also would not permit any drinks to be taken out, so the last drink was poured into a paper cup if you couldn't finish it immediately.... A Mimosa in a paper cup....don't think so. Disappointed with that experience and somewhat insulting.

Willy is most accommodating and doesn't mind at all... Go Willy!

Coco Cay, St Thomas and St Maarten were nice weather, so enjoyed that. Didn't do any excursions as been there many times, walked around, had some delish coconut shrimp by the beach in St Maarten, and had my arm twisted to buy a small piece of jewelry....lol

Most evenings after dinner I went to the Champagne bar, good service, but no caviar bar any longer... Only on 1 of the 6 nights I went there did they have a small offering of a cracker with some soggy caviar....I was hoping to get it nightly as it used to be available.... Oh well....

Oh and another cutback....no more KeyLime Martini..I was gasping for one but unavailable now on the ship. I even asked the Bar Manager, seems they took it off the menu as difficulty getting the lime mix... Hmmmmmm.

Definitely observed several cutbacks from previous cruise.

Overall I enjoyed my cruise, was thrilled to have such lovely weather for the most part, and did what I wanted. Tho the evenings were quiet, (one of the negatives about travelling solo) I did meet some nice folks and was sad that my week on the Freedom passed so quickly...

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Glad you had a good trip. I'll address just a few of your issues. The cruiseline tells people when they'd like you to arrive. If people choose to arrive earlier, then they shouldn't complain about getting inboard later than they wish. If you want people with whom to converse over dinner, why not ask to be seated at a large table? It would never occur to me to chat with someone seated alone at a table as my assumption would be that he or she wanted to be left alone.

Finally, I can't understand your being upset with the diamond concierge for simply enforcing the rules which are that drinks are not to be taken from the DL. It was quite nice of him to allow you to take your drink out in a paper cup.

Glad you had a good trip. I'll address just a few of your issues. The cruiseline tells people when they'd like you to arrive. If people choose to arrive earlier, then they shouldn't complain about getting inboard later than they wish. If you want people with whom to converse over dinner, why not ask to be seated at a large table? It would never occur to me to chat with someone seated alone at a table as my assumption would be that he or she wanted to be left alone.

Finally, I can't understand your being upset with the diamond concierge for simply enforcing the rules which are that drinks are not to be taken from the DL. It was quite nice of him to allow you to take your drink out in a paper cup.

Gerif, had a bad day? :confused: Geez.

Sheilb4, I enjoyed your review - thanks!

I need your help. We are coming from Tampa (visiting friends) in a rental. WHAT CONSTRUCTION DELAYS are there?

We were planning on leaving Braedenton Beach at 8:00 AM to drive over to the port. What's your advice on that?

Hi there.... There are none, it was just the day prior thee had been an accident on I-4 and also that one near Bradenton, I know that one is the opposite direction, but the long hold ups that folks endured made me a little nervous to go over the same morning as cruise day... Just my comfort level... Lol

I have sailed from PC many times, so get to the port around the same time whenever I go, and this was most unusual, same as staff attitudes...usually a very upbeat bunch of folks in the terminal... Hence the observation.

Also having been to the Diamond lounge many to times, this was also a first experience of this "rule" and lights on, hunted out..... Otherwise I would not bother to mention it.

I am ok with sitting alone, it is often what I prefer, just not too keen being in the middle of many small children and families, since the late seating is not often that way.....

Again, just my observations of some differences from many previous cruises.... Thank you. :cool:

So on your cruise the CL and DL "happy hour" times were not 5-8:30 PM as usual? Cut off at 8PM or was that just the time the lights were turned on in preparation for closing at 8:30?Very sorry to hear about the lack of caviar at the Champagne bar. That is something I look forward to on all my Freedom and Voyager class cruises. Oasis also did the caviar in Champagne bar, but at 5:30 instead of the usual 5 PM. I will be checking this out in 5 weeks on Mariner.

We have always had to pour drinks into paper cups to take out of Diamond Lounge. Even when Willy was the concierge. I did experience Raul turning the lights on at 8:00. I really did not see the need for that. Our previous times that did cleanup(with lights low) and just left and said goodnight. We would often sit in there and continue talking to new friends.

Hi there.... There are none, it was just the day prior thee had been an accident on I-4 and also that one near Bradenton, I know that one is the opposite direction, but the long hold ups that folks endured made me a little nervous to go over the same morning as cruise day... Just my comfort level... Lol

Yep, I4 westbound is my morning commute, so that was a messed up day, for one young woman and her family particularly :(.

I need your help. We are coming from Tampa (visiting friends) in a rental. WHAT CONSTRUCTION DELAYS are there?

We were planning on leaving Braedenton Beach at 8:00 AM to drive over to the port. What's your advice on that?

You might want to think about taking SR 417 to the Beach Line, and from there into the Port. It's a little tricky to get on to the 417 from I4, which occurs slightly before the theme parks when traveling Eastbound from Tampa. I would think that leaving at 8 am would help you avoid the Orlando morning rush, but IMHO, the 417 is an easier drive. Also, research the Beach Line to the port interchanges - I'm always daydreaming about the upcoming cruise during that part while DH drives so even though I've technically been there many times, I couldn't write it down on paper :rolleyes:.

The expressway authority website has maps here: https://www.oocea.com/default.aspx

Both SR 417 and the Beach Line are toll roads so have plenty of quarters.

If you are concerned about traffic, use channel 9's traffic tracker here: http://www.wftv.com/s/traffic/

It is color-coded to tell you what is jammed up, and where there are accidents and construction. I look at it every afternoon before I start my commute.

I think they also have info about construction projects there as well.

Have a safe trip!

We have always had to pour drinks into paper cups to take out of Diamond Lounge. Even when Willy was the concierge. I did experience Raul turning the lights on at 8:00. I really did not see the need for that. Our previous times that did cleanup(with lights low) and just left and said goodnight. We would often sit in there and continue talking to new friends.

Well I guess in the past I was "lucky" as I was never asked to do this..and indeed the lights turned on at 8p and "everyone out" was not regarded as very tasteful by many passengers in the lounge......... But not a cruise ruining experience..... ;)

You might want to think about taking SR 417 to the Beach Line, and from there into the Port. It's a little tricky to get on to the 417 from I4, which occurs slightly before the theme parks when traveling Eastbound from Tampa. I would think that leaving at 8 am would help you avoid the Orlando morning rush, but IMHO, the 417 is an easier drive. Also, research the Beach Line to the port interchanges - I'm always daydreaming about the upcoming cruise during that part while DH drives so even though I've technically been there many times, I couldn't write it down on paper :rolleyes:.

The expressway authority website has maps here: https://www.oocea.com/default.aspx

Both SR 417 and the Beach Line are toll roads so have plenty of quarters.

If you are concerned about traffic, use channel 9's traffic tracker here: http://www.wftv.com/s/traffic/

It is color-coded to tell you what is jammed up, and where there are accidents and construction. I look at it every afternoon before I start my commute.

I think they also have info about construction projects there as well.

Have a safe trip!

I had done some research so we were taking $10 in quarters just in case and had already decided to go 417. Thanks so much to both of you, especially Chito!!! That is such a help. 2 weeks!:p

I had done some research so we were taking $10 in quarters just in case and had already decided to go 417. Thanks so much to both of you, especially Chito!!! That is such a help. 2 weeks!:p

Becciboo... Seriously if you want to relax more, I would deffo recommend going over the afternoon before. That way you will get there, be able to relax, have dinner, drinks etc and a good nights sleep before getting on the ship a few minutes away...... I think I will always do this when going from PC. It sure was less stress than on day of....

That somehow doesn't surprise me :p. Off topic: Hope you fared ok during Sandy. Did you have much activity? Haven't been on the boards much, my apologies if you covered this already.

Who, me? I was agreeing mainly with the part about complaining about "having to pour drinks into paper cups" to take them out. The rule is that you CAN'T take drinks out of the lounge - you are offered drinks in the lounge as a perk of being a certain C&A level. Complaining about a "declassé" way of breaking the rules seems to be rather........um.................odd.

Nice quick review. Freedom is my favorite ship, but I have to say, I was not impressed with Rahul in the DL in May. We usually have Amit on Freedom and Rahul was not nearly as personable or accommodating. He made no effort and like you said, literally pushed people out at closing time instead of being subtle. A lot of people like him, so maybe he was having a bad week, but he was the one negative of our cruise. Having said that, we can't wait to get back on Freedom!!!

It's just perfect for us!

Archived