New year's cruise. Is it worth the money

I am looking at different itineraries for a new year's cruise but am surprised at the prices.

What if anything do they do differently?

I am not sure if it is worth the extra money.

Any info would be appreciated.

We would leave out of Ft. Lauderdale. Fl.

Chris

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

I am looking at different itineraries for a new year's cruise but am surprised at the prices.

Chris

They will have a New Year's Eve party, but not much beyond that. The high price is due to suppy and demand, it's just a very popular cruise. I believe New Year's and Christmas cruises are some of the most expensive.

Chris

They will have a party for NYE which usually consists of something like a balloon drop and countdown...maybe some free champagne at midnight.... that's about it.

We have been doing them for years. As a teacher, it is the only times we can get off to cruise. Prices are doubled due to demand and nothing else. Also, expect a high number of children on the cruise as well. Many parents stay home for grandma for Xmas and then cruise the week after. If I was not working, I would not cruise at this time. The following week, the price will drop in half. :rolleyes:

We have been doing them for years. As a teacher, it is the only times we can get off to cruise. Prices are doubled due to demand and nothing else. Also, expect a high number of children on the cruise as well. Many parents stay home for grandma for Xmas and then cruise the week after. If I was not working, I would not cruise at this time. The following week, the price will drop in half. :rolleyes:

Also depending the ship....this is a HUGE week for South America (beginning of their summer vacation with schools off)...they usually like the greatest and latest ships...so Oasis/Allure will be their choice. I can tell you that last NYE on Oasis, Spanish speaking folks WAY WAY WAY outnumbered English.

This will be our 4th New Years on a ship, this year we are sailing on an 8 night in Indepedence, E2 balcony, $1199 per person, the price now has doubled,book early and watch for price drops and a NYE cruise can be very reasonable.

We did NYE on Explorer last year, and paid $499 pp for an inside cabin (we purchased the cruise in August, while onboard Allure, so we also got OBC). So, there are deals to be found, but not at this late date for NYE 2012. We loved that the ship was decorated for Christmas, and we thought the NYE party was better than anything else we've ever done on land on NYE. We're very glad we did it, and we'd certainly do it again, but only if the price was reasonable.

They sail full, so if you do not book some one else will. The holidays have always been higher priced. They know it will fill so the prices stay up. Demand

You will have to try it to see if it is worth it to you. The ships are all decorated, but all the decorations are there starting right after thanksgiving, so there are weeks there that are much cheaper to sail.

We are doing our third one this year, it has become a family tradition since both kids are in college. They have different spring breaks so this fits the bill nicely. Yes, it is more expensive, but there are great benefits:)

Chris

If you wish to do a family holiday cruise, and if it's the only time you & everyone can find the time to go, then yes, it is worth the extra cost. If it were just the wife & me, I would wait until the week after the NYE cruise.

We've been on 5 or 6 NYE cruises & a couple of Christmas cruises and they are a lot of fun, but if it wasn't for it being the only time the whole family can go, I wouldn't do one again.

Also, I recommend staying in Ft L for a day or two after the cruise, just to avoid going back to reality so quickly after the cruise. Hope that helps.;)

Also depending the ship....this is a HUGE week for South America (beginning of their summer vacation with schools off)...they usually like the greatest and latest ships...so Oasis/Allure will be their choice. I can tell you that last NYE on Oasis, Spanish speaking folks WAY WAY WAY outnumbered English.
I remember you saying that in the roll call. I'll let you know if it holds true again this year.

Depends on what you'd be doing otherwise on NYE. If you typically do a NYE bash on shore (w/hotel/drinks/meals), then a NYE onboard is comparable. If you normally pull up the wool as the sun goes down, then it probably isn't for you. We're doing our third NYE cruise this year, and have next years booked. (always book NYE the day the itineraraies are released in the spring). Price is almost double now what it was when we booked (JS is up over $700/pp from what we paid last March).

We have been on 3 or 4 Christmas and New years cruises. They still stand out to be our favorite cruises. All but one [that was a 7 night] were longer 12 and 14 night sails though. We never found kids to be an issue on any of these cruises. :confused: They do not stand out like our spring break cruise, the vibe was totally different. As far as what they do on board, not too much- if there is a promenade there is a balloon drop [we have noticed that this has gotten smaller throughout the years] and there is definitely champagne [not the good kind, average] they they serve if you are on the promenade. Ships are decorated from Christmas and the time on board is very festive. MDR desserts will reflect that it is New years eve and they will provide hats and noise makers. At least that is how it was on all of our holiday cruises. ~Good times, good times!~ :D

I remember you saying that in the roll call. I'll let you know if it holds true again this year.

HUGE South American groups last NYE on Oasis...was the same the year before...tons of kids...well behaved but different culture...the kids stay up very late and you will even find them in places late night like Boleros....so it very much depends on the ship when it comes to people who say 'few kids". Also last NYE had hefty charges for private NYE parties on Oasis for the Rising tide Bar as well as Schooner Bar. It was fun to do but if you aren't locked into a specific time frame I don't really see it worth the cost.....for the same price as a standard balcony on Oasis/Allure for this NYE you can sail mid Dec or mid Jan is a very nice suite.

It is really no different than going to a popular restaurant or night club for New Years. They charge more because they can! They put out a nice menu that any other time you could get for less money but it is New Year's and people want to celebrate so they pay the price.

Did we have fun? Yes! Was it worth it?? It is similar to the question..."is a balcony/JS/GS... worth the additional cost?" Only the person paying can really answer that question.

If you go, have fun!

Didn't I read here that seats in the Rising Tides Bar were going for $500 on New Year's Eve?

Been there, done that. Mariner, NYE last year we treated our extended family of 8. It was fun, and great to see our kids all together again with SO's. But the party was certainly no better than land based events we've attended. Met my wife at a NYE party, so its a big day for us. Glad we did it once, but if its just the wife and I, we'd prefer to use the same money and go on multiple cruises at non-peak times and just relax. We can party on NYE on or off a ship... Also, we found the crowd to be different than we usually see, with more family groups (including ours) and first timers. To me there was less interaction with other passengers (which I usually enjoy), but that could be more because of our group dynamic...

That being said, we are leaving NYE for you folks this year, and are taking our season's cruise in 11 days (right after Thanksgiving) when rates are not quite so high.

Didn't I read here that seats in the Rising Tides Bar were going for $500 on New Year's Eve?

Think I remember something more like $125/pp for the RTB and $75/pp for Schooner.....didn't do either so I don't remember for sure. They were also selling bottles of Champagne for $75 to over $200/bottle and people were buying them like it was bottled water.....you would think they were giving them away...it was an interesting crowd. The promenade right after midnight was covered with a half inch of spilled Champagne and had hundreds of bottles just laying on the ground.....Blaze still had a huge line to get in at 2am ....clubs were packed like that all week and the specialty restaurants were booked solid from day 1.... Giovanni's set up the tables in the evening from Park Cafe outside and were seating people outside in Central Park....dining went to almost midnight daily....they even pushed back the main dining room times to better suite the late night crowd....those South Americans don't eat till very late.

The question "is it worth it" is asked many times on CC and in relation to several different topics.

Only YOU know if the price differential is "worth it".

I have taken my family on New Year's Eve cruises most years for the past 9 years. We have a blast. When they were teenagers, I felt MUCH safer having them on a ship with me instead of God-knows-where with their friends.

Therefore, to me, it is "worth it."

I love 'em.

NYE has a special menu in the MDR, which can actually be a negative - only a couple of choices, because they are "special". You may not like those choices!

Hats, noisemakers, and HUGE amounts of free champagne - if you know how to get it! ;) ;) ;)

And NOT being at home, where there are people on the road, creating tragic stories for the morning news - which you won't hear, because you are away on a cruise ship. "Priceless".

(also a work schedule issue)

Been there, done that. Mariner, NYE last year we treated our extended family of 8. It was fun, and great to see our kids all together again with SO's. But the party was certainly no better than land based events we've attended. Met my wife at a NYE party, so its a big day for us. Glad we did it once, but if its just the wife and I, we'd prefer to use the same money and go on multiple cruises at non-peak times and just relax. We can party on NYE on or off a ship... Also, we found the crowd to be different than we usually see, with more family groups (including ours) and first timers. To me there was less interaction with other passengers (which I usually enjoy), but that could be more because of our group dynamic...

That being said, we are leaving NYE for you folks this year, and are taking our season's cruise in 11 days (right after Thanksgiving) when rates are not quite so high.

Felt the same way.

You wanted opinions, so I will offer mine. The short answer is NO.

We did a short 5 day New Years cruise. It cost me more than any 7 day cruise we have gone on. Way more. :(

Part of the problem was the ship - too small (Majesty).

Second problem - too many kids.

No, I won't do a cruise over the holidays again, unless it is 9 days or longer, and/or is on a larger ship, with more adult only areas to escape to.

(don't get me wrong, I love kids. I just don't want to be inundated with them on a vacation. ;) )

My bday is December 31st, so out of curiosity I looked at this year and next year. All suites gone for this year on the Oasis/Allure. An OS for 2014 for two occupany was almost $17,000. It would be nice to spend my bday on a ship but not for that price. The first week in December 2014 an OS is around $6,000. A New Year's and Christmas cruise is not worth the steep price increase in MHO.

This January we are on Allure in the RS for almost the same price as the OS for New Years Eve.

I love sailing on New Year's Eve. We have usually been able to get a cabin for only a modest premium by booking early. (note: I won't pay for AL/OA at their normal prices, never mind the eye-popping holiday prices). On land we used to go out for dinner, then struggle to stay awake until midnight. On the ship, we will have dinner, go dancing and wait for the big moment. Then we go to bed.:o

And we aren't loyal to Royal for the holidays - we got a better price for 14 nights in AQ on Celebrity Eclipse than for 10 in a JS on Vision.

Archived