3 IN A ROOM? – My husband wants to take his mother-in-law on a cruise!

MaisonDeBritts

OK the deposit isn't paid yet... but for an extra $1500 we can add 2 more people and get a family verandah cabin.

5 in one cabin... albeit a family cabin... does anyone know what that's like?

My first thought goes to cycling 5 people through one bathroom!

I know as soon as I tell my sister what we're doing for Mum... she will want to join us. So I checked on the cheapest inside cabins... and it would be $4500 ish

But then I thought about the family cabin. So to be able to add them to my booking for just an extra $1500 makes this one very difficult decision. My sister has had the worst 12 months of her life lately... with breast cancer... so this would be a huge opportunity for them.

Oh God...

I"m just waiting to find out availability before I do anything else!

So you've gone from three people to five people?

Thinking about it.

I know when I tell my sister she will turn herself inside out to try to come with us. She's been on a P&O cruise before and loved it... so I KNOW she would love to join us on this cruise.

Telling her has been the unspoken worry I've had about doing this... mainly as they wouldn't be able to afford to come too.

But $1500 is a lot better than $4500 - even if you DO have to sleep on a sofa bed.

Seems all the FV cabins are still available too... hmmmm....

OK the deposit isn't paid yet... but for an extra $1500 we can add 2 more people and get a family verandah cabin.

I know as soon as I tell my sister what we're doing for Mum... she will want to join us. So I checked on the cheapest inside cabins... and it would be $4500 ish

But then I thought about the family cabin. So to be able to add them to my booking for just an extra $1500 makes this one very difficult decision. My sister has had the worst 12 months of her life lately... with breast cancer... so this would be a huge opportunity for them.

Oh God...

That is a very sweet thing you are considering doing.

You know your family. Some families would consider it one big long pajama party, and talk about it fondly for the rest of their lives. Other families (like mine) would feel it is one of Dante's rings of hell.

I'm very impressed that you are even able to CONSIDER it. But, if it works, it could be GREAT fun.

BTW, someone can always go to the gym and shower. When our bathtub got clogged on the Rotterdam, that is what I had to do, and it really wasn't a big deal (except that I locked myself out of the room and was running around the ship in a bathrobe and my hair in a towel! ;-)).

Oh God...

I think it is great that you are so caring about your sister. About two years ago, my brother, eldest sister and I decided we wanted to all take a vacation together. We realize that we aren't getting any younger and it might be fun to just be "kids" again ( albeit over 50! ) and life is getting shorter everyday! We are each married with families and careers, but decided to take a cruise for a week without our spouses. Since price was an issue, we decided on a reasonably priced Carnival Cruise. We were able to take one of the cheapest balcony cabins, for my sister and I, and a small inside cabin for my brother. His cabin was listed as a single, and the same size actually as other inside cabins. We didn't even know that some carnival ships have a handful of single inside cabins. It was a trip of a lifetime! We all had a ball and were kids at heart for one week! I think you might consider another more cost effective cruise if you can. Being together is wonderful, but I still think you need a little space. If you cannot consider another cruise that might be more affordable, just bite the bullet as they say, and drink plenty of cocktails!!

Good luck!

Edited by Cruise a holic
spelling

I think you are a wonderful sister too:) but if you have 5 people?

Is there any possible way to do 2 cabins??:eek: I agree with the

previous poster...only you know your family.......

Good luck to you:)

Is the Pullman more uncomfortable than the sofa bed, or just difficult to get in/ up to?

If you think you can all share one bath room, the bed is not to bad.

Obviously you MIL, nor anyone else over the age of 12 would want the Pullman, but the sofa bed wasn't too bad. It was a fold out over sized chair/love seat. I slept in it just fine, and you can add a matress topper if you need some extra cushioning.

So you just have to gauge if you can all get along in the tight quarters for 7-10 days.

Well we visited my sister and brother-in-law today and told them about our plans to take Mum on a cruise.

My sister's face dropped for a split second... then she piped up and said "I wanna come too!" (just as I suspected).

So I told them how much the inside cabin was and then how much it would cost them if we did the family aft cabin.

My brother-in-law isn't into holidays (cause he's never really had a decent one) so he thinks it's too much money. His mate who happened to be there when we told them said "It's a massive opportunity to do it on the cheap... you should go!"

My sister is thinking of ways to save dollars already!

I told them they have until lunchtime Monday to make a decision.

At this point... I'm thinking it WILL happen.

Then we ALL have to keep it a secret until April 2nd! (Mum's birthday) :eek:

Edited by MaisonDeBritts

Well we visited my sister and brother-in-law today and told them about our plans to take Mum on a cruise.

My sister's face dropped for a split second... then she piped up and said "I wanna come too!" (just as I suspected).

So I told them how much the inside cabin was and then how much it would cost them if we did the family aft cabin.

My brother-in-law isn't into holidays (cause he's never really had a decent one) so he thinks it's too much money. His mate who happened to be there when we told them said "It's a massive opportunity to do it on the cheap... you should go!"

My sister is thinking of ways to save dollars already!

I told them they have until lunchtime Monday to make a decision.

At this point... I'm thinking it WILL happen.

Then we ALL have to keep it a secret until April 2nd! (Mum's birthday) :eek:

That's so lovely!

Please let us know how it goes, and what your mom does!

You have come up with an absolutely brilliant solution!

Talk sister and brother-in-law into coming along and sharing their inside cabin with Mum.

You and hubby get your private balcony cabin to yourselves after all. :D

Or, Mum can go back and forth. That we each couple gets a few 'alone' nights;).

Well the deposit is paid... and we'll be in 7202 - which is one of the much envied corner family aft balcony cabins.

Everything I've read on here suggests they are worth losing an arm or a leg to secure.

We overlook the penthouse balcony... which if I had paid penthouse prices I would NOT be happy about.

Now we are thinking that it's probably best to tell Mum at Christmas instead of her birthday on April 2nd. It will be her Christmas AND 70th birthday present.

It will save us having to worry about anyone slipping up and letting the cat out of the bag.

Securing the perfect cabin and paying the deposit makes it VERY real now.

I'm excited!

Well the deposit is paid... and we'll be in 7202 - which is one of the much envied corner family aft balcony cabins.

Everything I've read on here suggests they are worth losing an arm or a leg to secure.

We overlook the penthouse balcony... which if I had paid penthouse prices I would NOT be happy about.

Now we are thinking that it's probably best to tell Mum at Christmas instead of her birthday on April 2nd. It will be her Christmas AND 70th birthday present.

It will save us having to worry about anyone slipping up and letting the cat out of the bag.

I'm excited!

Have you tought about a family suite? The cabins are so small and in that way you could avoid possible difficulties. You mentioned your sister and husband are also coming? Maybe a family suite has enough room for you all (like two bedrooms and one living room with sofa, which can be converted into a bed)?

FORGET IT... I would rather not go...These cabins are relatively small and three is a BIG crowd... If I had my mother or mother-in-law in the cabin with us I would throw myself overboard. :)

5 persons.. 1very small bathroom ( only big enough for 1), in a cabin designed to holds a family of 2 adults and 2 small children.

5 adults in about 300 sq ft, one of which an earily riser and your mother in law,.. Cant wait to find out what security and house keeping do when the brother-in law drags the bed out on the veranda and it gets soaked...Cant wait to see how your going to deal with dividing up paying for on board charges...

It just keeps getting better and better... The Marx brothers or Monty Python could have used this material...

I am interested in the movie and book rights...

This has disaster written in 100 foot high neon flashing lights. and as the say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. God love ya but I would never do this for $10,000.00 I wish you luck you will need every bit

I'm excited!

Congrats on making your decision, I really hope all goes well for you. Enjoy.:D

I see you've made your decision but if it is not too late to change you might consider doing so.

The FV cabins are amoung the largest on the ship but they still will have the same basic problem as the cheapest cabin:

1. Sofa beds might be very uncomfortable for an adult. These are fine for children but I've not heard good things about them from the adults I've talked to. I've read more posts from adults who found them uncomfortable than posts from those that thought they were acceptable. I think they vary a lot in comfort level.

2. One bathroom. The bathroom in an FV cabin is the same size as for a standard cabin and there is only one in the cabin - same as the cheapest and smallest inside room.

3. Lack of privacy. The FV cabin does have a divider that will seperate the sitting room where the sofa beds are located somewhat, but it isn't like a totally separate room and one must pass through the sitting room to get to the veranda and through the main cabin to get to the bathroom. Lots more privacy potential than three in a standard cabin but not total privacy by any means.

While the FV cabins have tons more floor space and storage space than a standard cabin the bathroom and sleeping arrangements will be pretty much the same.

Personally I'd take two of the cheapest inside cabins near each other rather than the FV - even through the corner FV cabins are my absolute favorites in the entire Celebrity fleet (presuming the expensive big suites will never be in my budget). If you'd like to see my photos of a couple of them click here or here.

My advice - switch to two smaller cabins even if it means taking two inside cabins. Everyone will be comfortable and you won't have to share the bathroom with Mom.

If you really want to have 5 adults in a FV cabin, you would be much, much better off picking one of the S-class ships instead of the Millennium.

There at least you would get 2 separate bedrooms (one a nice sized private bedroom, the second bedroom tiny with bunk beds, but also private) and you would have a real living room for all to share.

Another advantage of the FV cabins on the S-class ships is that they are located close to the spa area, so some of you can use the roomy spa bathrooms instead of having all 5 adults take turns using one small bathroom.

On the Millennium, the FV room divider is a sliding panel with translucent plexiglass panes. There is no privacy.

Once the couches in the living area have been made up into beds for the night, you lose the use of the sitting area and there is barely room to walk between the beds to get out to the balcony.

Maybe it would not be so bad for someone who has just come off a submarine and is accustomed to living in such close quarters, but for most of the rest of us..........

Edited by fleckle

I stayed in the Family View cabin with just 3, myself and my two children, a tall teenage son and preschool aged daughter. The cabin was just the right size for the three of us. We share one bathroom at home. I can't imagine sharing this cabin with 5 adults, it would be very very tight quarters. When the couches are both made into beds, there is very little space to walk between them. If anyone of the 5 got up, everyone else would surely wake up, no way around it. Also, there just isn't room for your stuff.

Ideally, I think you'd want the Family View for three adults, and the nearby Inside for the other couple.

Have you tought about a family suite? The cabins are so small and in that way you could avoid possible difficulties. You mentioned your sister and husband are also coming? Maybe a family suite has enough room for you all (like two bedrooms and one living room with sofa, which can be converted into a bed)?

You are describing a cabin that does not exist on the ship the OP is sailing. The OP has booked a "family view" cabin which is the largest cabin on the M class ships short of the large suites.

No matter how "close" y'all are I just can't see any attraction to sharing such intimate space for a week. I'm sorry but I don't want everyone sitting outside the small lavatory door waiting on me to finish. Ugh.

Mom deserves the respect that giving her space and privacy affords her. She'd probably be quite fine in a cheaper interior room to sleep, change, bathe and just not have to talk to anyone. Then she could come enjoy your balcony as desired.

My skin is crawling at the imposed crowding your plans entail and I do think it would affect my enjoyment of the entire cruise experience.

Personally, I would cancel a cruise before I would put 5 adults into an FV cabin. They are very comfortable for three, but having sailed in them multiple times I cannot imagine cramming 5 adults in there. Dressing for dinner will be a nightmare at best. Yes, you can use the spa showers but those are at the front of the ship and you will be at the back. Please, please take the advice of most on this thread and get two of whatever the highest category cabins you can afford:):). Can you imagine the horror if the seas are rough and someone (or more) gets seasick as you are all crammed together?? Ugh! Keep in mind that you feel more motion at the rear of the ship, if anyone in the party has issues in that regard. And heaven forbid one of you would catch noro and you would ALL be confined to quarters for a period of time. I would jump overboard. I wish the best for you and your cruise but shudder when I read about the plans:D