What should we do on day of arrival?

goncruzn

Me and three other friends are planning on flying into Rome next October two days prior to our cruise, but because we'll more than likely arrive in Rome in the morning and since we can't check into our hotel until the afternoon, what would you recommend doing? Hit the ground running and do a morning tour with maybe lunch? Should we visit the Vatican then or maybe at night or the next day once we've had a chance to rest? Would it be better to tour the Forum and Colosseum the first day and a couple of other sites after we've checked in?

We only have two days so I will need to pack as much as possible into those two days. We are planning on hiring a private car service from the airport such as RomeinLimo or Romecabs based upon recommendations here on the board, but I'm just not sure how much we should try to do stepping off the plane. Also, should we try to do some of these sights on our own vs using a tour company.

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated!

I would drop the bags at the hotel (even if you can't get into the room they will hold your stuff) and then choose something outdoors to see/do, like the Colosseum/Forum. I think it's easier to focus and stay awake in fresh air rather than in a museum. I'd make reservations for the earliest possible entry into the Vatican museums on day two, when you're rested.

Absolutely agree. Depending on your arrival time, getting out of the airport and travel time into Rome you might find it later than you think. Also, sometimes hotels will check you in early. Can't hurt to ask. We were able to once and I took a quick shower and changed clothes and was good to go for the rest of the day.

I also agree with staying outside. The Coliseum and Forum is a perfect choice for day 1. Then a nice dinner, a nightcap at one of the rooftop bars (they are all over) and then early to bed. This will help you get on Europe time. Also allows you to get up early on Day 2 and head over the Vatican before the big crowds. Then walk walk walk Rome.... its the best way to see it ! Have fun !

Thanks so much for the great suggestions. I do like the idea of staying up and out walking around seeing the "outdoor sights" to help adjust to local time. I was concerned about spending hours in the Vatican right after a 9+ hour flight. We only have two days so we will need to make the most of each day we're there.

I usually like to be spontaneous, but realize spending two days in Rome does not allow for that so I will now work on a schedule of things to do. I also have to remember time for shopping because there will be a mutiny if I don't! :D

The following worked for 6 of us following our mid-morning arrival at FCO:

-private transfer service to our rental apt, arriving just before noon

-dropped off our bags and received a brief orientation from the manager

-had lunch at Campo di Fiore

-took the Roma Chrisitiana HOHO bus (stop !2 was half a block from the apt.) for an overview of the sights

-returned to the apt., unpacked, found a grocery, enjoyed wine on the terrace

-crashed and up and at 'em early the next morning.

Agree with suggestions to visit the Colosseum on Day 1 and head for St. Peter's the next day as early as possible. Keep in mind that visiting the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel will absorb a lot of time. Prebooking a tour there and taking a cab directly to the entrance will shave precious minutes off your limited time in Rome. IMHO, I would consider saving the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel for your next time in Rome, especially since you want to do some shopping .

A couple of notes -

If your day 2 is a Wednesday, there is a decent chance the Vatican can be closed in the AM for a papal audience. You will be able to tell this when you pre-buy tickets. If that is the case, I still recommend doing it day 2, its WAY too much after a long flight.

With that in mind, wherever possible, pre-buy tickets. This will save you a LOT of time. Yes, there is a small risk that you may miss something due to a delayed flight, but the cost is minimal. As an example, the line to GET tickets for the colliseum was over 2 hours long when we went.. we walked right in.

My suggestion (similar to the others)

Hire Romeinlimo or other service to meet you at the airport and transport to hotel to drop bags, then have them take you somewhere for lunch if hungry. The colliseum/forum. The driver will also take you to other parts of the city of course, like where the circus maximus used to be, , the Trevi Fountain, the palace, etc. End up at hotel, clean up, lite meal, sleep.

IF you are just doing Vatican next day, you can get there yourself. If not, I would again book a driver and plan your options with them. The Vatican will take 2-3 hours at least (you could easily spend a day there depending on interest but there is SO much else to see - I have a checklist for our next trip). BOOK A PRIVATE GUIDE either via RIL or direct. One thing we noticed is that there is very little documentation on the items, and if there was an audio tour I doubt you could make sense of it and be able to stand in one place long enough to enjoy it.

In the afternoon you can visit the Borghese Gallery perhaps, or the catacombs, or the Jewish Ghetto, or Turtle fountain, or.....

Really it depends on how much sleep you get on the plane. I never sleep on the plane. I just can't get comfortable and am too keyed up with excitement. My son sleeps 5-6 hours and is usually ready for action upon arrival.

I would go directly to the hotel- they will store your bags if the room isn't ready. Then I would go get a nice cup of coffee and see one of the sites,

The Vatican is a half day at most- and an absolute must see. If I had to pick- I'd go there on day one.

On Day two- I am not sure I'd do a tour. If you intend to stay up until bedtime- you may sleep for 14 hours (I did!). I wouldn't plan a tour- Rome is a totally walkable city.

Day Two- visit the Colluseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and the Borghese Park for some peace and quiet. A gelato is a must! And I recommend dinner along the Via Veneto.

I assume you are doing the touring without using a tour guide. Here's what I would do.

Drop off luggage, head to Palatine Hill, Forum and Colosseum- be sure to purchase tickets ahead of time and you can skip the line. That will be about 2-3 hours.

Have lunch

Go to Trevi/Pantheon, have an afternoon gelato and check into your hotel

The Galleria Borghese might be a bit much but consider a very late time- make your reservation ahead if you can- you need to do this!

Spend the next day at the Vatican and be sure to schedule the Scavi Tour if you have enough lead time before your trip. Use the advice in Rick Steve's book on visiting the Vatican- esp the "secret exit". Be sure to purchase these tickets before you leave and you will just zip past all the people waiting to buy tickets. Amazing! You can do the Vatican Museum, Sistine, and St. Peter's Basilica in about 5 hours. Send postcards from their post office.

IMHO: take a taxi to Vatican- lots of pickpockets on metro and buses, esp that route. Watch your items/wallet/backpack everywhere.

Do a google map with the places on your A list to see how close they are to one another. Most folks are disappointed with the Spanish Steps. Try to see a few of the A list churches like St. Peter's in Chains (close to the Colosseum) and Maria Maggiore.

Step back for a minute. Just because your flight arrives at say 8:00 am it doesn't mean that you'll be seeing the sites that early. It will take at least two hours from the time that you land until you get to your hotel to check bags. You've got to first deal with Italy's HIGHLY inefficient baggage and immigration situation, and then get into the city.

I wouldn't plan anything that requires advance tickets, what if your flight is delayed?

Drop your bags at your hotel and then have a light lunch. Go visit St. Peter's Basilica and then see sites like Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, and just soak it all in.

Get to sleep early and get up early the next morning. Visit the Colosseum and Forum first thing--I highly suggest a local guide for the Forum. You will be able to see both and be done around noon if you start the minute they open.

Then go to the Vatican Museum. You don't need a cab. Yes, pickpockets are all over the place but use some common sense and a money belt and you'll be fine. The trip (including the transfer at Termeni) is about 10 minutes by Metro.

Step back for a minute. Just because your flight arrives at say 8:00 am it doesn't mean that you'll be seeing the sites that early.

Absolutely agree. I said this in earlier post ! At least an hour to get out of the airport and get a taxi and at least 45 minutes driving time (maybe more) to get from airport to hotel. Then the check-in process and/or storage of bags process. It seems to go slower than you think it would take. Could be close to lunchtime before you are ready to head out.

But I would still do the Coliseum/Forum that afternoon instead of going inside for St. Peters. Besides, it would be doubling up your efforts to go to the Vatican area both days. It is easy to do the museums, Sistine and St. Peters in one morning. I know, we did it.

So here is my recommendation: Get a good map and mark the main sites you want to see in red. Plan out your routes to walk from one to the other as that is a good part of the charm of Rome...... walking. And stay someone CENTRAL. The Pantheon area is perfect for getting to all the sites on foot.

1st day - Coliseum/Forum, walk back to hotel (depending on where you are staying) seeing some sites along the way. If you don't want to pre purchase your tickets then head to the ticket office at the Forum for a much shorter line !!!!! then go back and do the coliseum since it closes earlier than the forum.

Many sites are very close together. Trevi, Pantheon, Piazza Navonna, Spanish steps, Borgese Park, Piazza Popolo are all easily walked from one to the other. Then there is the wedding cake (Victor Emanuel monument), numerous other piazzas with monuments/obelisks etc. to explore)

2nd day - Vatican (both sections) If you book a tour you can use the back door in the Sistine chapel to access St Peters and NOT have to go thru security line (which can be hours long) in the morning. That still gives you the afternoon to walk over to Castel St. Angelo and the Bernini bridge (St. Angel bridge)

ALSO - HELPFUL TIP: If you find time running short, find a taxi stand. Taxis are plentiful and they just aren't that expensive. Especially if you split it with your friends. The most we paid for a taxi in the historic area was under 10 euros. It can save you some time if you want to maximize your travel time.

Here's another thought. If your ship is leaving Civitavecchia in the normal time frame (5-7pm departure), there is really no need to rush out of Rome early to get there. Stay until at least noon and you can fit in another short half-day of sightseeing. You'll have the rest of the cruise to explore the ship.

Here's another thought. If your ship is leaving Civitavecchia in the normal time frame (5-7pm departure), there is really no need to rush out of Rome early to get there. Stay until at least noon and you can fit in another short half-day of sightseeing. You'll have the rest of the cruise to explore the ship.

Good point Cynthia !!! We did our Scavi tour on the morning of our sailing. We had the 9:15 time slot, went back to apt and got our luggage and met our Romecabs driver and off we went. We were there, checked in and in our cabins at around 1:30.

We left the morning that we were headed to the Port empty in case we didn't get to something the two days before. We got lucky that we were able to arrange an after hours tour of the Vatican Museum so we did that in the evening rather than during the day.

I still stand by using a taxi instead of the metro or a bus. Public transportation in any foreign city takes a bit of getting used to and the OP appears to be a first timer in Rome and has limited time. Both my husband and I agree that the one thing we would do differently if we were to go to Rome again would be to avoid the trains and buses. It is also just more efficient to use a taxi for the less easily walked to sites, such as the Vatican.

Also, decide how much you want to see the Vatican. It is my understanding that you need to go through the Vatican Museum to see the Sistine Chapel. There are some rooms that are not that fascinatating if you are well traveled. For example, if you have seen the British Museum, their Egyptian Collection is far superior, so we "ran" through this room. In any case, do all of the Vatican in one visit rather than splitting it up.

Don't you feel like you are 18 years old and all your well meaning relatives are giving you advice? Whatever you do, read the advice in Rick Steve's book.

Connie

I still stand by using a taxi instead of the metro or a bus. Public transportation in any foreign city takes a bit of getting used to

I have to disagree. Using mass transit in Rome couldn't be easier or faster.

Wow, there is so much helpful information here. I think I will write down all the suggestions and come up with an itinerary from there. We don't have our flights booked yet but the one we are looking at would get us into Rome around 9:30 am if there are no delays. So, based on what everyone is saying we probably won't get into Rome until about 11:30, so I'm thinking we will wait and do the Vatican on day 2.

I'm still trying to decide on a hotel, but one I'm considering is on Via del Corso, so I think it's in a shopping district and also not too far from the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and a few other sites. If we could drop our bags off at the hotel we could then walk to a few sites early and try to fit some more in after we check in. It will be an intensive couple of days but who knows when I'll get back! I also like the idea of touring the morning the ship departs. It will be a Sunday so I'm not sure if opening times are different on Sundays vs other days of the week?

I have been to Rome before, BUT it was 27 years ago so there's not a lot I remember! Plus I was on an organized tour so I never had to worry about transportation or an itinerary.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. Cruise Critic members are the best!

I'm still trying to decide on a hotel, but one I'm considering is on Via del Corso, so I think it's in a shopping district and also not too far from the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and a few other sites. If we could drop our bags off at the hotel we could then walk to a few sites early and try to fit some more in after we check in. It will be an intensive couple of days but who knows when I'll get back! I also like the idea of touring the morning the ship departs. It will be a Sunday so I'm not sure if opening times are different on Sundays vs other days of the week?

Opening hours for many sites will be the same on Sunday, but there are key exceptions.

The Vatican Museums are not open on Sundays (well, they are open one Sunday each month but it's a free day and it's a zoo in there, not worth the effort) so plan around that. Also remember that you can't visit churches (as a tourist) during mass, which means most of Sunday morning is out for them as well.

The City of Rome's tourism web site is pretty good - you can easily research the opening hours there: http://www.turismoroma.it/?lang=en

Via del Corso is fairly central, although it does make a difference where along the street you are. This is a main road in Rome so I'd ask for a room in the back of the building rather than on the street, as there are about a dozen bus lines that run along Via del Corso and it could be loud on the street side.

We don't have our flights booked yet but the one we are looking at would get us into Rome around 9:30 am if there are no delays. So, based on what everyone is saying we probably won't get into Rome until about 11:30, so I'm thinking we will wait and do the Vatican on day 2.

Since you don't have your flights booked, I recommend considering leaving at least one day earlier to have an extra full day in Rome.

That's an option we have considered. At least we do have some time to figure it out.

Oh yeah, if your calendar and your pocketbook allow it, try to go in early as many days as you can ....... there are that many things to do and see and yeah, it's that great !!!! We LOVE Rome !!!;)

Archived