Attire question

Gus12

My fiancée is a nurse and doesn't own much in the way of casual clothes outside of scrubs and t-shirts. Are t-shirts and shorts gonna fly for her in the main dining room? She has some sundresses for the steakhouse and formal night, but she doesn't want to wear those or jeans every night. We don't necessarily care what ppl think since we paid just like anyone else, but will they allow her in the main dining room with Nike shorts and a t-shirt on a Carnival cruise?

Thanks for the help with all my first-time cruiser questions!

I know on the site it says shorts are prohibited, but are they actually going to deny us food for not wanting to go buy dresses and skirts to wad up in a bag?

No, they won't deny you food.

Dressed in shorts, you are more than welcome to dine at the buffett on the lido deck.

I know on the site it says shorts are prohibited, but are they actually going to deny us food for not wanting to go buy dresses and skirts to wad up in a bag?

No, they will not deny you food. They will however, not let you into the Main Dining Rooms. You can eat in the buffet or get room service.

They will not allow her into the main dining room in shorts and a t shirt. You can always go to the buffet or have room service, but they will deny you entry into the MDR. Look,at it this way----think of the fanciest restaurant in your city. Would they allow anyone in shorts and a t shirt in that restaurant for dinner? Well, that's what the MDR in a ship is like, a dressy, lovely restaurant.

My fiancée is a nurse and doesn't own much in the way of casual clothes outside of scrubs and t-shirts. Are t-shirts and shorts gonna fly for her in the main dining room?

Gus, you can find a good description of Carnival's dress code here:

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/08/what-to-wear.aspx

No Nike shorts or T-shirts at dinner. Tell her to get a broomstick skirt. It can be twisted up and thrown in a bag. That and a nice shirt will work fine and not take up much room. Google to pull up some pictures.

Thanks, guys. We aren't trying to stick it to the man or anything. I'd bet we can scrounge up something for a few dining room nights and then we can go to the Lido for lunch and dinner otherwise.

Will we really be missing out if we're not eating in the MDR? I just want us to get the best out of our experience (plus, I'm a foodie!).

Will we really be missing out if we're not eating in the MDR?

Yes. IMO, eating in the buffets is like being back in a high school cafeteria. And since you're paying for their service anyway (by way of the daily charge on top of your fare), why not let the waiters serve you?

My fiancée is a nurse and doesn't own much in the way of casual clothes outside of scrubs and t-shirts. Are t-shirts and shorts gonna fly for her in the main dining room? She has some sundresses for the steakhouse and formal night, but she doesn't want to wear those or jeans every night. We don't necessarily care what ppl think since we paid just like anyone else, but will they allow her in the main dining room with Nike shorts and a t-shirt on a Carnival cruise?

Thanks for the help with all my first-time cruiser questions!

There are a number of people that don't take formal attire with them on their cruise, and opt out of dining in the MDR on Formal nights. For nights that are not formal, your fiance could take a pair of nice slacks or capris, and a nice blouse. If the two of you wear the same clothing more than once to dinner (as long as it falls within what's acceptable) no one will notice. But, just try to go in the MDR wearing Nike shorts and a t-shirt and you'll get the "stink-eye" for sure!:eek: If you haven't already done so, go to Carnival's home page and click on the "F.A.Q." section, and read what it says about the MDR dress code.

Thanks, guys. We aren't trying to stick it to the man or anything. I'd bet we can scrounge up something for a few dining room nights and then we can go to the Lido for lunch and dinner otherwise.

Will we really be missing out if we're not eating in the MDR? I just want us to get the best out of our experience (plus, I'm a foodie!).

The food in the MDR is different than the food served in the buffet. Heck, take her to a consignment store and pick up some inexpensive khakis. I enjoyed the buffet but wouldn't think of missing out on the MDR. (I spent almost as much on DW's new wardrobe as I did for our shore excursions:o.)

My husband has worn jeans and a nice shirt to the MDR for dinner on Carnival. So, you all might just pack a pair of khaki shorts or jeans for the nights you don't feel like dressing up.

On our last cruise, our table mate wore a t-shirt and jeans for every night but formal night.

Now may be a good time to update the wardrobe a bit....get a pair of capris....they are what the majority of women will be wearing on casual nights in the MDR....top with a cotton tee (not one with logos!)....just a plain, women's pullover shirt...and she's good to go!

Jeans are fine, but they're hot....not really "Caribbean" wear!

I am of the mind that you don't need a lot of clothes to be well dressed. I'm more quality over quantity.

She doesn't need a ton of clothing to dress well. One pair of slacks in a chosen color and a couple tops to go with. The tops can be re-worn a couple times. Or, a little black dress (or any other color) where the look can be changed with different accessories. She would do well with just a few new pieces, just don't buy "cruise clothes" that she wouldn't wear in her home town.

I cut back on daily wear by re-wearing shorts and tops, laundering as needed (and no, I don't spend every night hand washing clothes in the cabin). I embark and disembark in the same outfit, even wearing that same outfit for one casual night dinner.

I select my wardrobe from the shoes up and have articles of clothing that just travel well. I never buy "cruise clothes", instead just take clothes I already own.

It does sound like she needs a bit of a wardrobe update. I can't imagine just owning scrubs and T shirts...you must go out to dinner or to parties...or somewhere once in a while where nicer clothes are typical :confused:

As you can tell by my signature that we love to cruise! It's fun to dress up :D. Before any cruise, I always visit second hand shops to spruce up my wardrobe. Believe it or not, you can find nearly new and sometimes new items with price tags still attached. With a quick visit to specific shops and the dry cleaners-- I am ready sail...and "Oh away I go!"

The shorts you describe are athletic & too casual. If you could work out in the outfit, it doesn't belong in the MDR. The dining rooms are fairly nice / formal with linen table clothes & napkins. I would think she'd feel out of place.

Dressier shorts, like you could play golf in, & a top will be fine.

As others have mentioned, Carnival is among the more casual, laid back lines. You should be fine but as a treat perhaps your lady could get a few "investment" peices. I'm thinking a pair of khaki capris & nice white summer weight sweater.

It does sound like she needs a bit of a wardrobe update. I can't imagine just owning scrubs and T shirts...you must go out to dinner or to parties...or somewhere once in a while where nicer clothes are typical :confused:

Just like many of the younger generations (30s and 40s) we don't do "formal" events like the older ones apparently did. When I host a party at my house it's come as you are, even if I'm serving something fancy. We don't dress up to go to restaurants, it's all jeans and shorts. We go to shows and concerts in normal everyday wear as well. When we get together for dinners it's about the people and not about formalities and clothing. I wear jeans and tshirts (the non logo kind) to work as my everyday wardrobe, the entire company does. I have no reason to own a pair of dress pants or anything fancy.

Just like many of the younger generations (30s and 40s) we don't do "formal" events like the older ones apparently did. When I host a party at my house it's come as you are, even if I'm serving something fancy. We don't dress up to go to restaurants, it's all jeans and shorts. We go to shows and concerts in normal everyday wear as well. When we get together for dinners it's about the people and not about formalities and clothing. I wear jeans and tshirts (the non logo kind) to work as my everyday wardrobe, the entire company does. I have no reason to own a pair of dress pants or anything fancy.

Fortunately most of the restaurants my husband and I dine at would refuse you entry dressed "as you are." We saw it happen the other night. It wasn't a "formal" (suits required) place but most men were in chino's and sport jacket--no ties required although they wouldn't be out of place. There were a few men in polos and slacks, but we saw them turn away two guys in jeans and t-shirts as we were leaving. I don't want to spend $800 on dinner for four to be seated next to a couple of people who just got done cleaning the garage. Our 26 year old son owns a couple pair of chinos, a couple collared shirts, and a sports jacket. He normally looks like a bum when he isn't dressed for work (wears a uniform) but he cleans up when he should.

I don't want to spend $800 on dinner for four to be seated next to a couple of people who just got done cleaning the garage. Our 26 year old son owns a couple pair of chinos, a couple collared shirts, and a sports jacket. He normally looks like a bum when he isn't dressed for work (wears a uniform) but he cleans up when he should.

I don't get that... as long as they aren't loud and obnoxious or smell, what does it really matter? I admit, the most expensive I've done is $150/person and not $200... but we did that wearing only nice jeans and shirts. Nothing fancy. I saw many others wearing similar attire.

Archived