"LIVE" from Enchantment of the Seas / Jan 5, 2013

Radio

Thank you for taking us all on the cruise with you. DH and I really enjoyed it as we are sailing on the Enchantment on the 26th. So it was wonderful to get a peek at what we have in store.

Welcome home and thanks again!

Radio,

I always love your "live from" posts and this one did not disappoint, thank you. I had a question about the GPS receiver, do you leave it on the balcony 24/7 and if so do you attach it to something to prevent loss during bad weather / wind? If you do leave it out is power a problem? I am curious because I'd like to track future cruise using your methods. By the way what model do you use?

Thanks again for a great job.

I have a question now that the pilot has been picked up or soon will be, when you are that close does your cell phones still pick up the areas towers?

I can answer this one! as long as the ship is in the Bay you CAN & will pick up cell signal..I always use mine up until we get out of the Bay and then it gets shut off and put away

If you have a smart phone just make sure you have your data package shut off..you do NOT want to see the roaming charges on that..but when the ship is in the Bay they 'should' have the ships tower shut off so that you are not roaming ...I never was roaming while in the Bay !

I figure I'll ask this here while the thread is still hot. Has anyone used Verizon Wireless phone with data service on this ship? Reason I ask is because I'm taking my work phone with me this next time and I 'think' that as long as I have the international data package that any data use (just email and web NOT texting) is included while I'm on the ship. Can anyone verify?

TYVM!

I figure I'll ask this here while the thread is still hot. Has anyone used Verizon Wireless phone with data service on this ship? Reason I ask is because I'm taking my work phone with me this next time and I 'think' that as long as I have the international data package that any data use (just email and web NOT texting) is included while I'm on the ship. Can anyone verify?

TYVM!

It really depends on the plan that you are on. Most of the International Data Plans are not available for any user. These plans were phased out for most users a couple of years ago. (Maybe you still have the plan) There is however a Global Data Plan that is available for most smart phones. The cost is $25 for 100MB.

I would call Verizon Wireless Customer Service to se exactly what global data plan that is currently attached to your account.

I did not bring a smartphone with me on this trip and used the ships Wi-Fi for all posts.

Radio

;);)

It really depends on the plan that you are on. Most of the International Data Plans are not available for any user. These plans were phased out for most users a couple of years ago. (Maybe you still have the plan) There is however a Global Data Plan that is available for most smart phones. The cost is $25 for 100MB.

I would call Verizon Wireless Customer Service to se exactly what global data plan that is currently attached to your account.

I did not bring a smartphone with me on this trip and used the ships Wi-Fi for all posts.

Radio

;);)

We can still get unlimited data plans with my work phone. One of the few perks of a government job

Hello everyone. . . Well I am home, and I feel like I need another vacation ! Well. . .maybe just a couple days of rest. . .

I left the ship by around 9:45AM, and made it through the terminal and through customs by around 10:10AM. I was home with a freshly brewed coffee by 10:30.

Now that I am home. . .It feels very nice to have a very fast internet connection. I miss the speed that can be had without having to watch my minutes on line. I can now get caught up with my emails, and notes. I still have to re-read this whole thread to answer any questions that may have been overlooked by accident.

I will also review my photos to see what I can add. I took sveral hundred pics, and I will be posting them to my Album this week.(and many more here on CC)

Since I have to work tomororw, I will "watch news" early tonight after I do some research on my futore cruise plans. . .

Here are a few pics from today. . .

Radio

;);)

I waited in a long line to get into the terminal for Customs check in.

U12.JPG

There were alot of passengers retreiving their luggage

U14.JPG

Ok, I made it through and am ready to catch my ride.

U15.JPG

So long Enchantment of the Seas. . . There is a chance that our paths may cross once again. . .

U16.JPG

Whew.....made it home and got some rest....looks like i missed a LOT of fun, and i was THERE....felt under the weather....seems that I am maybe allergic to the new carpet fuzz.....however, the times that I felt decent, I had fun!

Luckily I have a Radio "LIVE from..." report to relive all the excitement and fun I may have missed...

The ship does look great, and I really liked the new bathrooms in the cabins.....glad I was able to get away from the January cold...though it seems that the weather wasn't TOO bad...

Thanks for the report Radio, and it was great to sail with all my peeps again...

Now. . . off to get a coffee (decaf) and catch up on the cruise ....:eek::D;)

Hi, The Boss and I got home at around 2:30. Not too shabby for the drive to Pittsburgh, the home of Heinz Ketchup and the Steelers and Penguins.

We had a great cruise, even if The Boss had a bit of a malady and was in bed most of the first two days.

Can't wait for November.

Thanks for all the fun times during the past 9 days.

Radio,

I always love your "live from" posts and this one did not disappoint, thank you. I had a question about the GPS receiver, do you leave it on the balcony 24/7 and if so do you attach it to something to prevent loss during bad weather / wind? If you do leave it out is power a problem? I am curious because I'd like to track future cruise using your methods. By the way what model do you use?

Thanks again for a great job.

I left it out for most of the Cruise. . . I use a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx. It is waterproof, and I had to change the batterries once during the 9 night voyage.

I placed it on the table with no worries. . .no fastening.

Thanks for the nice comments. . .

Radio

;);)

Whew.....made it home and got some rest....looks like i missed a LOT of fun, and i was THERE....felt under the weather....seems that I am maybe allergic to the new carpet fuzz.....however, the times that I felt decent, I had fun!

Luckily I have a Radio "LIVE from..." report to relive all the excitement and fun I may have missed...

The ship does look great, and I really liked the new bathrooms in the cabins.....glad I was able to get away from the January cold...though it seems that the weather wasn't TOO bad...

Thanks for the report Radio, and it was great to sail with all my peeps again...

Now. . . off to get a coffee (decaf) and catch up on the cruise ....:eek::D;)

Welcome Home Meg!!! I didn't even know you were on the cruise.........LOL Sorry your were sick part of the time.

Patty

Hi, The Boss and I got home at around 2:30. Not too shabby for the drive to Pittsburgh, the home of Heinz Ketchup and the Steelers and Penguins.

We had a great cruise, even if The Boss had a bit of a malady and was in bed most of the first two days.

Can't wait for November.

Thanks for all the fun times during the past 9 days.

One out of three is not bad (the ketchup)....go Devils!!!

About the sign on the bridge tour....

Did they explain why there are more people on board than lifeboat capacity? Not that there would ever be a need for it. Just puzzled about that.

I've actually seen this question answered before - I believe it was on one of Radio's previous Live Reports.

In addition to the Lifeboats there are life rafts in canisters that deploy and inflate. They are generally used for the crew who aren't in the lifeboats.

I believe they are required to have enough space between lifeboats and rafts for all passengers and crew and they have to plan for the absolute max capacity.

I've actually seen this question answered before - I believe it was on one of Radio's previous Live Reports.

In addition to the Lifeboats there are life rafts in canisters that deploy and inflate. They are generally used for the crew who aren't in the lifeboats.

I believe they are required to have enough space between lifeboats and rafts for all passengers and crew and they have to plan for the absolute max capacity.

Thank you! Someone else mentioned the same thing. Nice to know.

Archived