Big Screens on Deck

Hi. Does anybody have comments or feedback about the newly-installed big screens on some of the smaller Royal Caribbean ships?

My feeling is that the smaller class ships e.g. Vision class are too small to accommodate these without them being a bit 'in your face'.

Cruising for us has always been about peace, quiet and relaxation and the ability to step up on deck in the evenings to just watch the sky and the sea. I know a lot of people like livelier entertainment which the ships provide below deck but do these screens now take away the peaceful option?

Hi. Does anybody have comments or feedback about the newly-installed big screens on some of the smaller Royal Caribbean ships?

My feeling is that the smaller class ships e.g. Vision class are too small to accommodate these without them being a bit 'in your face'.

Cruising for us has always been about peace, quiet and relaxation and the ability to step up on deck in the evenings to just watch the sky and the sea. I know a lot of people like livelier entertainment which the ships provide below deck but do these screens now take away the peaceful option?

They are big, but i think more people enjoy them (especially the games). I do believe there are plenty of places to find peace and quiet on the smaller ships to watch the sky and sea. You really can easily get away from the big screen.

And if you want to go to the pool for peace and quiet, the soliarums do not have the screens.

We have sailed many times on Princess ships that have the BIG screens by ONE of the pools. In the mornings, they usually have the Cruise Director's morning show early, then concert videos, and then either movies or sports the rest of the day and evening. Some people stay there all day, others come and go, some never go. BUT, if you do not want to go, then there are other pools you can enjoy without hearing the NOISE. We enjoy the NFL, NCAA playoffs, etc and even a movie in the evening. We are scheduled to sail on Enchantment in April, and HOPE they do not have movies blasting all day, as we also like to enjoy an outdoor pool area. We were on Vision last month (no BIG screen) and really enjoyed the pool area.

We saw one of the new big screens on Rhapsody this past June. I thought it would be intrusive, but it was not bad at all. They kept the volume low, which I think is significant. There was always the Solarium if we wanted to a more quiet place.

Are the big screens also in Jewel of the Seas (which I think is the Radiance class)? We'll be on the ship during March Madness and I'm pretty sure out boys would live to view it on the big screen!

Not a big fan personally, but have not found them intrusive at all on either Freedom or Radiance Class ships this past year.

The sound system itself was particularly good, and was scaled accordingly to the time of day or night and what was been showed.

Are the big screens also in Jewel of the Seas (which I think is the Radiance class)? We'll be on the ship during March Madness and I'm pretty sure out boys would live to view it on the big screen!

No, not yet on Jewel. Not until 2014 or later.

Jewel won't have a big screen added until it is "revitalized", either in 2016 or 2014 depending on whose information you consider to be most accurate, so your boys will have to watch whatever March Madness games the ship carries, in the Sports Bar, one of the TVs in other lounges or on your stateroom TV.

All of the reports that I have read about the large screens that have been added to RCI ships, indicates that they are quite careful not to be intrusively loud and don't blast programs from early morning until late night. Apparently RCI took into account the complaints that some Princess and Carnival passengers have voiced about those lines' MUTS, and are doing a much better job of satisfying everyone.

I think the key is the volume. We've had the big screens on Princess, Carnival, and Royal. I thought the volume was too high on Princess and obnoxiously high on Carnival. Royal nicely keeps the volume down and it makes a big difference.

I've been on 3 Carnival and 1 Princess ship that had the big TV's. As far as I'm concerned, they're a monstrosity that I had hoped RCI was going to avoid. On the Oasis and Allure I can somewhat see them putting the big TVs in but on the other ships? No thanks. On Carnival they used them as a substitute for on deck entertainment. Instead of a nice band playing Caribbean type music it was an in your face TV show, concert or, worse, CNN or HLN. Gack! I can get that crap back home. It completely ruins the atmosphere on the pool decks.

I've been on 3 Carnival and 1 Princess ship that had the big TV's. As far as I'm concerned, they're a monstrosity that I had hoped RCI was going to avoid. On the Oasis and Allure I can somewhat see them putting the big TVs in but on the other ships? No thanks. On Carnival they used them as a substitute for on deck entertainment. Instead of a nice band playing Caribbean type music it was an in your face TV show, concert or, worse, CNN or HLN. Gack! I can get that crap back home. It completely ruins the atmosphere on the pool decks.

I think those lines did a poor job integrating them into the ship and of course, as I said before, volume makes a difference.

We experienced a big screen on a Vision class ship (Grandeur) last summer. It didn't seem so large that it was out of keeping with the ship. It wasn't intrusive at all during the day. They had images without music or sound most of the time. A couple of port days (when the ship was fairly empty) they showed movies but the sound wasn't really intrusive.

We sailed when the European football championships were taking place and the screens were a fantastic spot for showing the games in the evening. The only time we saw them used in the evenings was when there was a game - they never used them for movies during the evenings on our cruise.

Interesting mix of opinions as I expected! I suppose our best bet is to try it and see for ourselves. Although that's an expensive way to approach it as there are no short cruises on Splendour in Europe. Hey ho, not a bad dilemma to have really! ;)

We had a big screen on the Radiance on our trip to Alaska. During much of the day they had movies of aquatic scenes on the screen. It was very peaceful [no volume at all] When we were boarding they were showing sports Center on ESPN. that was a big hit--and the ship was louder than the screen/tv. [they had on the closed caption feature.]

Archived