Wedge heels more comfortable?

maureencruiser

Hi, I have massive foot problems, so I only wear sneakers even at work and I wear flip flops for short errands, etc in summertime. I want to look cute on formal night, but, just can't wear heels, even flats hurt. Some people online are saying wedge heels are like heels for beginners. More stable, easy to wear,etc. I found these, they are dyeable for weddings, but, have any of you ever worn something like this for formal night?

Dyeables-Chloe-Dyeable-Wedding-Shoes-Wedges-11.jpg.7af27663f84bc05ffe23cabbc2b01867.jpg

I don't think they're more comfortable (even though they might be more stable) - they're still putting your foot into an unusual position and so putting different pressures on your legs and joints. Why not find fancy flat sandals to wear with your formal night outfit? If you really have "massive foot problems" I'd recommend you don't wear high heels of any sort.

I find wedge heels comfortable but it depends on the individual pair. I also wear normal heels so I'm used to the height anyway. I wouldn't try to buy them online if you have foot problems. I think you're going to want to try them on to make sure they are the right style for you.

I've walked behind many women wearing high wedge heels. It is amazing how many of these women have unstable ankles when viewed from behind. Their ankles are shaking on every step. Another thing I notice is how those wedge heels wear down unevenly in the rear, probably as a result of the unstable gait of the wearer. I honestly don't think the wedge heels, especially the high wedge heels are as stable as they are reputed to be.

There are small wedges however, some only about an inch or an inch and a half high. They most likely are much more stable and put less pressure on the forefoot than the higher wedge heels.

OP, I think if the wedge is about 1 or 1-1/2 inches high, it's pretty comfortable. I like Ara Sirmione wedges -- 1-1/2 inches high. They are European and very comfortable. These are my cruise shoes because they are very comfortable, easy to walk in, even if the ship is moving about, and still have a litte heel and some bling.

image.jpg.b04fa87c916b333f020a674492840c9b.jpg

Hi, I have massive foot problems, so I only wear sneakers even at work and I wear flip flops for short errands, etc in summertime. I want to look cute on formal night, but, just can't wear heels, even flats hurt. Some people online are saying wedge heels are like heels for beginners. More stable, easy to wear,etc. I found these, they are dyeable for weddings, but, have any of you ever worn something like this for formal night?

Those are pretty and would be nice for formal night, but they don't look comfortable at all to me. There is little cushion under the toes and the thin straps may cut into your feet. The wedge is nice and low though, and the ankle strap might help to keep your foot stable, so they might work for you. If you have a small foot you might find something in the children's dept with a wedge or wide heel. I have feet issues too, and I do best with cushioned flats or platform shoes with ankle straps. If I don't wear hosiery, I like to have fabric or suede/moleskin between the bottom of my feet and the shoe, anything but vinyl.

I swear by wedges, personally. I'm taller and a little clumsy, so I like the extra stability a wedge offers versus a regular high heel. If you have foot problems, I would definitely try on anything before I bought it, and walk around the store a lot. I'd even wear it a day or two after I bought it, to make sure it doesn't give you problems after wearing it for a while. You don't want to take them on the cruise only to have them give you issues.

Also, a slip on wedge as opposed to one with straps may be better because you could always slip your feet out a little under the table if they're hurting.

Depends...

I have a few wedge shoes that are definitely more comfortable than a heel. I used to not go higher than about 2.5 inches. I have knee problems, and I don't feel stable anymore so I'm down to about 1.5-2 inches, and thicker heels are definitely better!

My favorite wedge is by Born, but it was more casual with the cork base.

I'm looking for a very low silver heel right now as well. Touch Ups and Easy Spirt are two brands I saw that look ok. Aerosoles and Naturalizer have some good ones as well. Clarks maybe? They aren't as dressy though. I agree you need to try them on. Dyeables I don't think have the comfort you would want in a shoe. Let us know what you find!

What about something like this?

shoes_ia14759.jpg

Oh...I like those:D where did you find them? I would not wear

them with a formal dress but that is just me. But I would wear

them with a sundress/crops/slacks/ shorts, etc......

Who makes your sneakers? Sometimes they will make a dressier shoe.

I try to avoid narrow straps as they hurt my feet. Also the placement has to be just right.

Whatever you decide to buy wear a lot before you need to wear them.

Look at the comfort brands-Clark, Ecco, Mephisto, Naturalizer, Aerosoles, etc. Found many styles of wedges at DSW and Marshalls.

Try a "PLATFORM" heel...they appear higher than the curvature of you foot feels!

Wedges (that shoe in particular) would be fine for formal night (that strappy, silver looks nice), but really, it's the height that makes it fancy!

A platform makes the heel look taller, but you can actually be in a shoe that "feels" like a 2 inch rise!

Check some out!

Heels are NOT unstable! Tons and tons of women wear them with no problems at all...you do have to try on MANY pair to find something that is comfortable to you!

Most of the "heels" I wear, are wedge

Oh...I like those:D where did you find them? I would not wear

them with a formal dress but that is just me. But I would wear

them with a sundress/crops/slacks/ shorts, etc......

Umm.... Famous Footwear I think? Lifestride I think is the brand.

OP Here, thanks for all the great suggestions! I guess I just need to get to the shoe store and start trying things on! My sneakers are New Balance, I did look and they don't make formal shoes. I do like that pair that was posted, but, I think the cork makes it casual not formal, but, if it came down to that or sneakers...:D

I had foot surgery in 2009 for plantar facisitis(sp?). This involved partially cutting the plantar tendon. It has taken several years to fully heal and the best thing I did was start to wear a slight heel all the time to relieve pressure on the plantar tendon. I wore only wedge shoes for a solid year; I mean I even did my walking for exercise in Dansko wedge shoes. My left foot is finally completely healed and I am pain-free after all these years. I feel wedge shoes are more stable and you can find various heights and styles for every look.

Good luck.

Margee

I have these.

http://www.amazon.com/Etienne-Aigner-Womens-Ashton-Antique/dp/B00517OUOO

31EyxnNRt4L.jpg

And these in a gun metal.

http://www.bonton.com/shop/shoes/sandal-shop/etienne-aigner-onna-wedge-sandal_487435.html

These are out of stock at this particular web site but there are alternatives out there, even to wedge heels.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-etienne-aigner-geneva-new-dime-leather-p_id186448

225439_366_45.jpg

I think wedges are a million times more comfortable than high heels! I actually have almost a reverse problem- my back kills me when I wear flat sandals or flip flops. I need to be in either a sneaker or heel.

I wore these 4ish wedges ALL over europe believe it or not and i had no blisters, no back pain. But the day I wore my dressy flat sandals I could hardly walk my back hurt so bad. So I stick to wedges or sneakers.

You can see pics here of the wedges I wore if you scroll a little. I know you are not looking at wedges this high but i just wanted to give an example that I wear these all over the place and I am more comfortable than flats.

Oh another thing, personally, I find wedges to be more stable. So if it gets a little rocky I would rather be in wedges than heels.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35677254&postcount=166

• 2 weeks later...

I love wedges and have three pairs. All of them are similar to this style in three different heights and colors:

126459_4_490x490.jpg

With large feet, bunions, and a hammertoe, about 95% of shoes aren't even worth trying on, and only about 10% of the shoes I do try on are comfortable enough to wear for more than five minutes.

That being said, I found these heels last summer at Payless. They are so comfortable I could dance in them and they come in wide sizes. And are very inexpensive. http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?skuId=128119080&productId=69153&subCatId==cat10270&catId=cat10088&lotId=128119&cid=cse_cpagooglepla&kpid=69153&origin=pla&aid=28119080128119_4_490x490.jpg

And I just got back from DSW - I was looking for flat silver sandals to wear in the evening with my more casual dresses (and after I take off the heels). I thought I knew what I wanted, but instead found what I needed.

2vdmcxt.jpg

The straps keep the post from digging in between my toes, and do not go across the bunion part of my foot. They are a little more expensive but fill a gap in my shoe wardrobe - dressy casual flat sandal. http://www.dsw.com/shoe/kelly+.and.+katie+phoebe+sandal?prodId=265909

I'm going to wear Revlon's Sterling polish on all my nails to finish off the look. So hard to wait one more month!

Archived