Oceania Rolls out new menus!!

LEESRE

It's true those three samples were in this area ... but again, given the percentage of regular passengers on O who don't eat pork or shellfish (and it isn't just Jewish passengers) I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have a balanced approach.

Now "hidden" pork, etc., is something I hadn't thought of ...

I like Lyn's idea of just having three desserts for dinner ... except then my clothes really would NOT fit EVER.

Mura

Yes they do. I believe that they are called "Spa Selections" and include Appetizers, Entree's, Sides and Desserts.

Some people ONLY order from the Spa menu, but mixing and matching with the regular menu is encouraged. Enjoy!

Sounds like it will not be just fattening dishes. I'm sure we will be well accommodated! I intend to try a lot of different things. And by July, I'm sure they will have fine tuned this new menu. Awesome. :D

Sorry, Gary. I retract the statement. Maybe I can fatten him up in time for November. (Right now he's post-eye surgery and is not permitted to exercise so he may have gained 3-4 pounds ...)

To the folks who are concerned that there is only shellfish and pork on the menu -- we were given, what, three samples of the new menu? I would never assume it's all one or two choices! Especially not those two.

Mura

Mura - tell him I hope his eye surgery is successful. I have just started having issues with my eyes...I have to blow up the print on my screen to "really huge font size."

I know what you mean about the new menu...nobody is going to starve. Nobody is going to go hungry or be disappointed. The folks at Oceania are tweaking the menu, not replacing it whole hog.

The people (like me) who like chicken, fish, roaste turkey, basic stuff are not going to be disappointed. Neither are the foodies.

But some people tend to worry, I guess.

Oh, and tell your husband, he will have to gain 3-4 lbs a week to catch up to me :)

Well there is always dessert ;)

I could just try one for each course

Jody is a desertaholic :)

She had 2-3 of each at both lunch and dinner on our 18 day cruise...then she asked me if I thought she had gained weight. And what is the proper answer to that?????

She loved the gelato

• 1 year later...
Does anyone have copies of some of the GDR menus for Riviera? I'm sure the menus are the same on the other larger new ships.

One other question: are the menus in the specialty restaurants fixed, or do they rotate?

The specialty restaurants have the same menu, they do change a few items every so often

Not sure what menus for the GDR you are talking about ... Riviera IS one of Oceania larger ships

I checked the Preistman's webpage they do have some menus listed

http://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_menus.htm#grand

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

The specialty restaurants have the same menu, they do change a few items every so often

Not sure what menus for the GDR you are talking about ... Riviera IS one of Oceania larger ships

I checked the Preistman's webpage they do have some menus listed

http://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_menus.htm#grand

Lyn

Thanks for posting the link to the Preistman's wonderful webpage - I forgot he had taken the time to photo all those menus! Also, forgot that the R ships have the taste of Jaques and Red Ginger items on the MDR menu. The Red Ginger sea bass was our favorite from last cruise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it shows up next week on Insignia.

I agree with Lyn. Don't sound appealing at all!

Okay folks. You need to deconstruct the menu descriptions. It's not so much that the dishes are "fancified" as it is that they are using quality ingredients in what are really very simple and classic preparations:

"New creations include dishes such as Pancetta-Wrapped Jumbo Shrimp with Kalamata Olive Sauce and Vegetable Julienne... ...The new dishes also feature unique, high-end ingredients such as Castilla–La Mancha saffron, Lessatini olive oil from Nice and Ibérico de Bellota pork."

Bacon (pancetta) wrapped shrimp is no big deal in and of itself - just sound fancy (like the scallops on a hot stone one finds in LaReserve). But dishes based on Iberico de Bellota pork are something to write home about. Head to you local specialty food store and get a side-by-side comparison of "di Parma" and domestic prosciutto. If you can't tell the difference, you're wasting your money on a cruise line like Oceania.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not everyone sails on Oceania for the food

Why do people feel they have the right to tell people how, when & where to spend THEIR money

It is my choice to spend or waste MY money as I choose

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Does anyone have copies of some of the GDR menus for Riviera? I'm sure the menus are the same on the other larger new ships.

One other question: are the menus in the specialty restaurants fixed, or do they rotate?

FYI, We will be on the Riviera in a couple weeks. I will post a review with their menus a few weeks after we return.

Bravo for the new menu options! Now if only Oceania would find a tea of higher quality than Twinings. Perhaps making some of the Red Ginger specialty teas available at the 4:00pm tea in Horizons ..???

How about bringing some of your own favorite teas from home and enjoying them on the ship!

Menus are new, long and confusing so try to just order what you want. Also major changes from 2 years ago in some specialty restaurants. BUT, the quality of procured meat/fish products and the preparation has fallen so far that we can no longer can justify the premium this line charges. Just our opinion, but we are Bronze Oceania Club members.

I do not believe there is a tea of a higher quality than Twinings. In fact it is what we use at home! Earl Grey for example but also the Darjeeling, Lapsang Soochong and English Breakfast - all great. You can keep your herbal teas... give me my Twinings!

Don - do you mean that these "new" menus are in fact the "current" ones?

Edited by Hambagahle

...Don - do you mean that these "new" menus are in fact the "current" ones?

Gerry. exactly. The media announcement of the "new menus" was made January 28, 2013, and posted here on Jan 29, 2013. All of the responses until the one yesterday by kevnsworld were made in Jan, 2013. It was apparently easier for kevsworld to revive an old thread rather than start a new one. The menus referenced in the original post have been in use for almost two years, and likely have been supplanted by even newer ones.

Bravo for the new menu options! Now if only Oceania would find a tea of higher quality than Twinings. Perhaps making some of the Red Ginger specialty teas available at the 4:00pm tea in Horizons ..???

+1 I've searched everywhere to find a tea like the Ginger Pear tea in Red Ginger.

Shame on you, Lyn, everyone on Oceania is supposed to have an sophisticated palate! :p;) However, if they ever considered turning WAVES into a BBQ rib joint in the evening, I might sneak in there once in a while...:cool:

On My last cruise I got chummy with the Sous in Waves and when the traffic was down got them into making some excellent Chili size and Chili Dogs... The even whipped up a batch of special order Chili.....Texas style....

If you ask the right guy the right way....many doors can open

My wife can't live without Peanut Butter, she eats it everyday.

Every cruise we have been on, she has been served peanut butter. All she had to do is ask! :)

Hi Jack. Was your wife able to get something better than the Smuckers mini-packets? I too love my PB but really dislike Smuckers! Too much bad stuff in it. Hoping for something more natural & less hydrogenated oils!

Would love to know. Thanks!