Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

I think most people that I have met from the USA are very nice kind people, I just cannot get my head around their acceptance of this low wage + tips system, I find it a most degrading system .....:)

regards

john

I could not agree more. The rest of the world gets by with a different system.

Shouldn't employers pay their employees a decent wage?

Ocean Boy:-I have no idea where this will show up in thread but here goes:;)

Some get it, some don't.

I really did not mind them going there as I knew it would. Proved my point too.

I do find it very sad that people concern themselves so much with what others do or don't do on a cruise or any vacation. Expecially something as personal as a tip.

But it sure is great entertainment that keeps CC so popular!!:D

Oh - it must be the fault of those 'foreigners'. It would be interesting to work out how much of the world tips to make up for inadequate wages and how much just pays adequate wages to all workers. As the world gets smaller, we all need to understand and respect different cultures. I think RCI is introducing this to make things easier for everyone.

I agree completely with you, as a matter of fact I might have said this about 30 pages ago!!

This is exactly what I've been hearing from crew members for years. It's just that the whole "I'm good/you're bad" where tipping is concerned seems to schew in favor of the US passengers, because RCCL started out 40-odd years ago in the US market, and it became just part of cruising to us. But, it's by no means true in the last several years with the US economy the way it's been. I think we have no more "foreigners" anymore who don't tip: I think it's equal opportunity now, and RCCL decided to go with the industry standard of adding a daily charge.

I have mentioned, however, that on our European and Australian cruises the crew have mentioned they see a definite drop in their tips, and a definite increase in them when the ships reposition back to the US ports.

It's not a bad/good thing; it's just a difference in cultures and how service people are paid. Many Australian, English, and European passengers aren't aware of what we Americans have known for decades.

I know what I've just stated is a rehash, but some people are just starting to read this thread.......from the end!!

Ocean Boy:-I have no idea where this will show up in thread but here goes:;)

Some get it, some don't.

I really did not mind them going there as I knew it would. Proved my point too.

I do find it very sad that people concern themselves so much with what others do or don't do on a cruise or any vacation. Expecially something as personal as a tip.

But it sure is great entertainment that keeps CC so popular!!:D

I don't read it as that people are concerning themselves over each passenger's tipping habits as to try to understand why RCI is changing the policy. It seems only reasonable that the majority was either not tipping or under-tipping which led to this change.

As for those who keep saying the cruiselines should just pay livable wages to their staff & crew, where do you think those additional wages would come from? The cruiseline's profits? Not a chance. Cruisefares would have to significantly increase and then many might not be able to afford to cruise or even consider a cruise.

Personally, I love that cruises have become a cashless vacation. I prefer to put everything on my credit card and earn points but that is just my opinion. I am aware of some who refuse to use cc at all.

All prepaid charges paid via RCCL in Australia incur an additional 10% GST Tax

so we pay a tip and then pay a tax on the tip :D

What I want to see is a price for the cruise : Which I can pay for in the normal manner

I want to see the crew being paid a proper living wage.

When I am on the cruise I receive service which is "special" and above the normal expected Level I will tip well for it...

But I'll not be told how much i have to tip ...

The concept of paying less than a living wage to anyone is a total disgrace

I dont mind paying a fair price for my cruise ,but I want the cruise lines to be up front about the costs... IE put ALL the costs of a cruise on the invoice.

regards

John

John, a few questions:

If you were to pre-pay your gratuities before the cruise, does the same 10% GST tax apply?

I can understand your logic, and it's been stated many times before. However, it's now part of the cruise industry standard to add these daily charges. I believe the cruise lines that don't do this are actually more expensive.

I wonder: did the Triumph passengers pay tips to their wonderful staff or did Carnival make good on this for their employees?

I read an article yesterday about how fantastic the crew was on the Triumph. They disposed of THOUSANDS of people's poop and pee biohazard bags for DAYS. You betcha that crew deserved their tips! They were the only thing that kept that ship from full mutiny!!

I would have been getting email addresses and paying them through Paypal when I got home, since I'm sure the ATM machine wasn't working.

I think most people that I have met from the USA are very nice kind people, I just cannot get my head around their acceptance of this low wage + tips system, I find it a most degrading system .....:)

regards

john

I worked as a server during college. I didn't feel degraded at all. I was able to make good money, much more than minimum wage, because I was a good worker. Most bad servers don't last long; it's a hard job.

Its a very clever system designed to make the customer feel guilty if they do not conform to the norm:cool:

Yes, I'm envisioning "the walk of shame" line at the Customer Service Desk on ships now. "This line to remove gratuities" signage. HA!! :D

I would have been getting email addresses and paying them through Paypal when I got home, since I'm sure the ATM machine wasn't working.

I hear ya, sister!

Yes, I'm envisioning "the walk of shame" line at the Customer Service Desk on ships now. "This line to remove gratuities" signage. HA!!

They should do that.

Answer-no way!!! If I'm eating in the WJ every meal, and sail only in suites [yeah, go ahead, flame me for that too guys:p] they have made it very easy for me to tip all those who serve me very well. I'm giving up my table for those who want it and doing my tipping to all of those other folks. I believe Ocean Boy may be one of the few who understand this theory. :D

So-do we want to go toe to toe on that one or nicely agree to disagree?

Remember setsail- I'm giving out tips-not a surcharge or doing what Royal should be doing-paying these guys an adequate salary.

Besides, why is it anyone's business how I tip. It is a tip and I do tip. I really don't think you need to worry about little old me while on your vacation!! Trust me-my servers are all happy. I don't worry about your servers-should I ?:)

Keep poking the Tiger!!:p

I don't care how cheap or lavish other cruisers are with their money, but unless you tell the Maitre D or hostess on day one that you will not be using your table then as far as the staff is concerned you have not released your table.

We have dined a number of times at dinner in the WJ and we have yet to experience the wonderful service some mention on here. We have no more assistance from the staff than we do at breakfast, sometimes less. But we don't walk in waving dollar bills in the air either. ;)

Do you have super mind reading powers?

how do you know if someone does not go to the MDR for dinner that they may have already pre-paid.

I think all of you guys that say you pre-pay, don't and lie about it because you are the cheap ones!!!:p

The last night dinner skip was in reference to the old days of tip envelopes and a nearly empty dining room on the last night with no specialty dining rooms to use as an excuse.I do resent the last insulting comment.:(

Yes, it has, and when the question is answered it says tons about ones feeling on tipping when cruising on RCI

As a result, the new tipping policy

It is pretty obvious from reading the rationalizations that some make, not using the MDR, etc., the reason for the new policy.

I hear ya, sister!

They should do that.

Marci22: I personally think removing the charge should be required on a daily basis in the aforementioned "signage" line!!! If people want to avoid this, they can pre-pay before the cruise.

My apologies to anyone who might be offended by my sarcasm, but I have just seen and heard sooooo many things where the crew just flat out get stiffed.

It is pretty obvious from reading the rationalizations that some make, not using the MDR, etc., the reason for the new policy.

No - the change is to standardise the various cruise lines within the group.

Next will be the Celebrity loyalty scheme.

[quote name='isdoo']No - the change is to standardise the various cruise lines within the group.

Next will be the Celebrity loyalty scheme.[/QUOTE]

So why did they change it on Celebrity? Celebrity used to have cash envelopes, then vouchers, all like they did on Royal Caribbean.

[quote name='Debde']I think all of you guys that say you pre-pay, don't and lie about it because you are the cheap ones!!!:p[/QUOTE]May I politely suggest that you keep your thoughts to yourself if all you are going to do is insult people?

I take great offence at your remark and the suggestion that I lie, and so do all those who prepay. May I remind you that if you select MTD, then you have to prepay, and therefore, those of us who select MTD are not lying and so are not cheap.
An apology would be nice :D

[quote name='peteukmcr']May I politely suggest that you keep your thoughts to yourself if all you are going to do is insult people?

I take great offence at your remark and the suggestion that I lie, and so do all those who prepay. May I remind you that if you select MTD, then you have to prepay, and therefore, those of us who select MTD are not lying and so are not cheap.
An apology would be nice :D[/quote]My thoughts exactly.

[quote name='peteukmcr']May I politely suggest that you keep your thoughts to yourself if all you are going to do is insult people?

An apology would be nice :D[/quote]

peteukmcr---i agree with you 110%. my wife and i cruise alot (more than most and less than some) and we always take MTD and prepay plus tip extra.
Debde it totally out of line to us that prepay for MTD........

Archived