Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

for those that go to GS to opt out, the GS people should take their names and room # and notify their room steward and their various waiters that this person or persons have opt out of prepay, this way the cabin steward and waiters can open their envelopes as soon as they are handed to them to check if they were stiffed. BOY WOULD I LOVE TO SEE INSIDE THESE ENVELOPES.

for those that go to GS to opt out, the GS people should take their names and room # and notify their room steward and their various waiters that this person or persons have opt out of prepay, this way the cabin steward and waiters can open their envelopes as soon as they are handed to them to check if they were stiffed. BOY WOULD I LOVE TO SEE INSIDE THESE ENVELOPES.

The room steward and waiters get a list with the name and cabin number of those who have opted out.

I just got home, saw the email and came here to read...We do not ever eat in the MDR...on our upcoming (2 weeks) Allure cruise, we have 5 nites booked in the specialty restaurants. Other 2 nites will be hot dogs, Johnny Rockets, etc. (never Windjammer!) We normally tip extra at Chops, Giovanni's Table, Johnny Rockets, etc. If we are required to leave gratuities for "dining services", does anyone know if these tips are shared with the specialty restaurant servers? I feel we will feel a little cheap not leaving extra at the Specialty Restaurants, but if we've already tipped approximatley $14 for "dining services" I will feel a little put out leaving more for the excellent service we receive in these dining establishments. Any opinions or advice?

I guess the pre paid gratuity/service charge will now be shared out across all staff?

For example, if you never ate in the MDR would you still tip the staff there?

That is a question that has been asked and debated on these boards forever.

A few cruises ago (on the Explorer) I overheard a conversation between one of the Windjammer head waiters and a passenger who used the Windjammer for all meals having never used the MDR.

She had her envelopes containing the required tips and wanted to give them to the waiters in there.

She was told quite clearly that 'tips were for the MDR only' and could not be given in the Windjammer and if she had not used the MDR then she should keep them.

If you select MTD then you are paying up front the gratuities for the service each day in the MDR.

So a question... if the gratuities were only for the MDR waiters and the cabin steward (as the above conversation would suggest) isn't this new daily charge (irrespective of where you dine) going to be shared amongst all the dining staff in all restaurants?

I assume the 15% service charge on drinks is given to the bar waiter?

If this is the case then that is fine. You simply regard it as a service charge.

The room steward and waiters get a list with the name and cabin number of those who have opted out.

In this case I would say a list is a non event, why, you can only opt out for bad service(on ship) so the HW and MD will be talking to the waiter and the Floor super will be talking to the steward depending on where the problem is, in order to correct the problem right away. So at the most, I see one being able to opt out maybe for 1 day.

In this case I would say a list is a non event, why, you can only opt out for bad service so the HW and MD will be talking to the waiter and the Floor super will be talking to the steward depending on where the problem is, in order to correct the problem right away. So at the most, I see one being able to opt out maybe for 1 day.

they should make those that opt out wear a hat that says---------

"I OPT OUT"

I guess the pre paid gratuity/service charge will now be shared out across all staff?

A few cruises ago (on the Explorer) I overheard a conversation between one of the Windjammer head waiters and a passenger who used the Windjammer for all meals having never used the MDR.

She had her envelopes containing the required tips and wanted to give them to the waiters in there.

She was told quite clearly that 'tips were for the MDR only' and could not be given in the Windjammer and if she had not used the MDR then she should keep them.

If you select MTD then you are paying up front the gratuities for the service each day in the MDR.

So a question... if the gratuities were only for the MDR waiters and the cabin steward (as the above conversation would suggest) isn't this new daily charge (irrespective of where you dine) going to be shared amongst all the dining staff in all restaurants?

If this is the case then that is fine. You simply regard it as a service charge.

As for the references throughout this thread to 'stiffing the crew'.... the only ones really stiffing the crew are the cruise line themselves... by not paying a decent wage in the first place.

However, the wording on the notice sent out in Europe does not seem to back up what you keep saying. That letter states that they can opt out and do things by the old cash system. The letter sent out in the US does not say that. But someone earlier posted that they called RCI and was told that they can opt out. Of course, I am very familiar with how to take information that is given out by customer service reps. Now once everyone is aboard the ship they obviously can't do things according to which country you come from. So, my question is.... how are you so sure that the info that you are providing is the correct info?

No one could be sure of anything under the old system.

No one can be sure of anything under the new system.

I say: just go with the system.

ETA: OMG, it is still happening: my reply now appears ABOVE your post, OB, instead of as a reply TO it!!! :rolleyes:

However, the wording on the notice sent out in Europe does not seem to back up what you keep saying. That letter states that they can opt out and do things by the old cash system. The letter sent out in the US does not say that. But someone earlier posted that they called RCI and was told that they can opt out. Of course, I am very familiar with how to take information that is given out by customer service reps. Now once everyone is aboard the ship they obviously can't do things according to which country you come from. So, my question is.... how are you so sure that the info that you are providing is the correct info?

"The letter sent out in the US does not say that. " You answered :)

Plus this...http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5524&faqSubjectId=415&faqType=faq

And I made a few calls.Keep in mind there are 22 ships so starting march 1, I wonder how many different policies there will be, they will work it out though. UK are on their own,LOL

I have never had my tips refused in the Windjammer. Of course I didn't bring them in inside envelopes that were marked for the MDR.

Now, if it is going to turn out that this does work as a service charge and all monies are going to be pooled and distributed by some formula (that I have no clue about) then I can buy into this. But if the money that I provide is being directed to a dining room team that I have never set eyes on and nothing is going to the folks who did take care of me then I still have an issue with the setup.

In this case I would say a list is a non event, why, you can only opt out for bad service(on ship) so the HW and MD will be talking to the waiter and the Floor super will be talking to the steward depending on where the problem is, in order to correct the problem right away. So at the most, I see one being able to opt out maybe for 1 day.

Now ALL of the replies are getting put above your post. This is SO ODD! :eek:

No one could be sure of anything under the old system.

No one can be sure of anything under the new system.

I say: just go with the system.

ETA: OMG, it is still happening: my reply now appears ABOVE your post, OB, instead of as a reply TO it!!! :rolleyes:

I am beginning to see things exactly that way. But I am going to do my best to not feel guilty in the Windjammer and end up tipping in there when I have already payed the service charge. I'm either going with the system or not but I am NOT going with BOTH systems.

You will not be able to opt out

1- just because you want to use cash to tip

2-just because you do not eat in the MDR a couple nights or all nights

3-because you do not want to tip some or all

4-or just because you do not like the plan in general

You will be able to opt out only if

You have received bad service from your room steward (as in room not cleaned) or bad service from your waiter/ass. Waiter in the MDR..you would have to eat there to have the bad service

Also

If you settle up your sea pass acc. On the last night by using cash then the tips that were charged each day to your acc. Will be paid in cash that way.

According to whom? I have no problem with the $12 pp charge per day and have paid it on the other lines w/o question, but why do you continue to state these as facts when there hasn't been any such facts listed by RCI? Do you work for RCI and have info the rest of us do not have?

thank you Patti and that above statement makes me feel a little better as for the MTD tipping.

You're welcome. I knew you'd appreciate that.:)

Are you sure about this? If that is the case then you may have just sold me on signing up for MTD and pre-paying the gratuities. My whole issue has been taking care of the Windjammer staff since that is where we eat.

Absolutely 100% without a doubt sure.:D I've asked the same question on 3 different ships to 3 different MTD Managers along with Head Waiters and received the same response.

According to whom? I have no problem with the $12 pp charge per day and have paid it on the other lines w/o question, but why do you continue to state these as facts when there hasn't been any such facts listed by RCI? Do you work for RCI and have info the rest of us do not have?

Because the only reson listed on UK and US site for getting charge reduced is for poor service.

So then the letter sent out in Europe is wrong. How about addessing my concern in it entirety instead of just choosing the words that you like?:rolleyes:

Sorry, its not my policy, you want your own clarity, you will have to call and get it:D I called for mine

This is on the site....http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5524&faqSubjectId=415&faqType=faq

You will have to call and get your own version, as its not my policy:rolleyes:

As for the references throughout this thread to 'stiffing the crew'.... the only ones really stiffing the crew are the cruise line themselves... by not paying a decent wage in the first place.

Please tell me, if RCCL doesn't pay a decent wage how do they manage to attract 25,000+ crew members? Who gets to decide how much they need to live in their country? And why do crew members return for multiple contracts?

http://www.royalcareersatsea.com/pages/faq

Gratuities are not about wages, they are about maintaining service levels. I have seen nothing here that says you cannot continue to stiff the crew.

Archived