Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

I think it should be included in the fare. But until it is included in the fare I have to do it their way if I book with them.

Sounds good, but many of us Americans have the need to tip. If it were included in the fare we'd probably still tip and before long it would be expected. Let's keep calling it a tip so we will be reminded that we are already tipping.

Sounds good, but many of us Americans have the need to tip. If it were included in the fare we'd probably still tip and before long it would be expected. Let's keep calling it a tip so we will be reminded that we are already tipping.

That is a very good point. I already know that if I sign up for MTD and pre-pay the tips that I am going to feel awkward the last night on the ship if I don't hand my cabin steward a tip as I thank him for the week's services.

That is a very good point. I already know that if I sign up for MTD and pre-pay the tips that I am going to feel awkward the last night on the ship if I don't hand my cabin steward a tip as I thank him for the week's services.

I have done many cruises that have the automatic gratuities policy Royal Caribbean is adopting, it has been standard for years on Carnival, Princess, NCL etc. and also have done the prepay gratuities on Royal and Celebrity. I did not have any problem thanking the without handing over a tip. I did have an odd feeling the first time but I got over it. The crew knows I have paid the gratuities! If they did not know I would feel awkward, but they get a list.

I thought we cleared that up that you did not use the exact word-'booted'.

I'm sorry. I rapid fire posted the other day and the brain was swiss cheese after that!!:o

But you do keep saying for people with gold cards only-correct!!;)

i do accept what you said about swiss cheese

and i stand behind "gold card only". and when it happens you can say--"phish tales told me this way back"--you can take it to the bank....

I'm really surprised that nobody talks about the fact that the true reason is because RCL want to keep a part of the money...

They do already keep a dollar on the $5 per day for stateroom... ask your stateroom attendant next time.... when there is nobody around

This why we prefer to pay cash

I'm really surprised that nobody talks about the fact that the true reason is because RCL want to keep a part of the money...

They do already keep a dollar on the $5 per day for stateroom... ask your stateroom attendant next time.... when there is nobody around

This why we prefer to pay cash

My understanding is they pool it, they don't keep it. It goes to a worker who picks up the linen bags or some such. Some attendents don't think they should share it with other houskeeping. If you pay cash RCL is still going to get that $1 or whatever amount it is. They deduct it from the cabin attendent even if he does not get paid a tip by all. They have had a formula where they figure an average of 85% pay and 15% stiff but some weeks that could be more or less than that. The only way a cabin attendant could control the cash is if every passenger paid cash. None prepaid or none put the tips on their sign and sail. With the new policy there will be much less cash payments as the default is opt out.

My point is if you are RCI and just raised your fares to cover this very quietly and then sent an email saying... "No more tips required on RCI" , you would have had 47 pages of people extolling the virtues of this new policy. The non tippers would feel vindicated and the tippers would spend even more on the ship since the employees would refuse their gratuities.

Wishful thinking.

Princess and P&O did that in Oz, and you got a bunch of people saying the nasty cruiselines must be going to increase the price on us and make us pay more, when they should just pay their staff, rah rah rah...

I will be taking with me on my next cruise an email from

Guest Support Unit

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Club Cruises

Stating

If you are unhappy with the amount that has been added then it can be increased, decreased or removed.

I never eat in the MDR or Windjammer as I think they are disgusting. I always book a suite and eat in the CL or a specialty restaurant. I tip the concierge quite generously and although the tips are

included in the specialty restaurant fees I typically add a bit more. For just adequate performance I have typically given my stateroom attendant more than the recommended amount.

I have no problem with mandatory tips for the stateroom attendant but bristle at the idea of it going to MDR and Windjammer waiters. Under the new policy I am forced to tip in venues I don't use. Since tips are already added in the specialty restaurant fees, I will end up double tipping. Doesn't make me happy but it won't ruin my cruise experience. However, service will have to be truly outstanding for me to tip more than the recommended amount.

I personally think the word : Disgusting : is a little over the top in describing MDR

& the Windjammer

I myself if I could afford a Suite & Specialty dining every night then

My choice would be to cruise on the 6 Star Ships and never have to worry about such lowly places

I personally think the word : Disgusting : is a little over the top in describing MDR

& the Windjammer

I myself if I could afford a Suite & Specialty dining every night then

My choice would be to cruise on the 6 Star Ships and never have to worry about such lowly places

Yes I agree. If the windjammer and dining room are disgusting then you really should lower your standards and cruise with royal Caribbean.

My personal opinion is the dining room and windjammer meet my expectations but I would never say they were disgusting. Your standards must be ever so high!

1. a giant island in the middle of the ocean, near islands which tend to be staunchly tribal

2. several times they have tried programs to pay people to move there

3. they pay people to have babies, so the population doesn't fall

4. has one of the lowest population growths of "western" societies

While I really hope to visit Australia one day and have met some amazing people from there over the years... the fact that insane amounts of the country are completely unlivable because of deserts/constant wildfires/no water and everyone is basically plastered to the shore AND how basically everything there can either kill you, eat you, or kill AND eat you... I'm good not moving there.

I'm not sure if your comment was just a statement or a "WE NEEDZ BETTER MERKA!" in disguise.

This is so funny!!! Please come to visit!

Here is a link to information about our population http://spotlight.abs.gov.au/

I live inland in our capital city and love it. :):):)

Because the only reson listed on UK and US site for getting charge reduced is for poor service.

It is the same on the Australian RCI site in FAQ,s:

Q: What is Royal Caribbean's Automatic Gratuity Program?

A: To simplify the service recognition process, Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity is shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. The daily automatic gratuity amounts are recommended and are based on customary industry standards.

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise.

Guests who have prepaid their gratuities will not have a daily amount charged.

I will be taking with me on my next cruise an email from

Guest Support Unit

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Club Cruises

Stating

If you are unhappy with the amount that has been added then it can be increased, decreased or removed.

remember-----you must qualify with what is highlighted in red....

remember-----you must qualify with what is highlighted in red....

I actually spoke with the author of the email sent to UK customers and she told me that those who preferred to pay cash, would still be able to do so. They would simply need to advise guest services once on board the ship.

It is the same on the Australian RCI site in FAQ,s:

Q: What is Royal Caribbean's Automatic Gratuity Program?

A: To simplify the service recognition process, Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity is shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. The daily automatic gratuity amounts are recommended and are based on customary industry standards.

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise.

Guests who have prepaid their gratuities will not have a daily amount charged.

And this one:Q: Is the gratuity required?

A: Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Guests who have elected to prepay gratuities will not see a daily charge during their cruise.

I never eat in the MDR or Windjammer as I think they are disgusting.

May I respectfully thank you for not cluttering up the MDR, and leaving more room for us that are happy to do so.

Also may I respectfully thank you for making your generous donations to Royal, and helping to keep our cruise prices low.

:D:D:D

I actually spoke with the author of the email sent to UK customers and she told me that those who preferred to pay cash, would still be able to do so. They would simply need to advise guest services once on board the ship.

I surely hope they close this loop hole....:eek:

And I believe there are apool of individuals that prefer that method. I don't expect to be grilled if I choose to do this myself.

I am very glad to hear the gratuities are being added to the account. I find the money in envelopes method demeaning to both the cruiser and the staff person. I always feel uncomfortable even watching DH distribute money. However, on the last cruise - even though we had gratuities already added to the account, DH felt staff deserved extra, so he did hand out some cash. I felt uncomfortable watching that, but I realize the staff was happy to find we were so pleased with their work, they got some extra cash.

One thing that seemed odd to me was that even though the cabin stewards know who paid up front, we still got envelopes in our cabin on the Oasis. That has never happened on other lines where we've paid up front.

Finding envelopes in our cabin when we had pre-paid gratuities kinda bugged me. We didn't use them, we chose the cash in hand method.

Archived