Tux on transatlantic?

joanna111

Going on the 3/22 Noordam from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome (I just love saying that!) and DH is thinking about doing the tux rental. I'm wondering how many men actually wear tuxes. We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise recently and so few people were wearing tuxes that he would have felt out of place. I'm hoping that HAL is more formal. And maybe there's a difference between the transatlantic cruises and the ones that go to the Caribbean?

Going on the 3/22 Noordam from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome (I just love saying that!) and DH is thinking about doing the tux rental. I'm wondering how many men actually wear tuxes. We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise recently and so few people were wearing tuxes that he would have felt out of place. I'm hoping that HAL is more formal. And maybe there's a difference between the transatlantic cruises and the ones that go to the Caribbean?

If you are a Tux person, then you wear a Tux, regardless to what others wear. It is what ever you feel is the correct attire

Europe and Transatlantics normally see more tuxes. That being said, your DH should wear what he wants. If he likes the tux, definitely wear it:) You will see suits, sports jackets and tuxes - air plane regulations and wight seemed to have played a role - but last year I would say I saw around 25% tuxes, 25% sports jackets (but very spiffy) and the rest suits. Have a great cruise:)

We will also be aboard that TA in March...the days seem to crawl by until we board. As on past cruises, my husband will bring a dark suit for formal nights. No need to rent a tux last cruise...10 day Mediterranean I did not see any tuxes on formal nights. But then, I wasn't really looking for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A transatlantic is a great venue to wear black tie...the women are dressed to the nines so why not the guys......

Instead of renting try buying one..there are plenty of reasonable options these days & he could go to a discount store & find a nice mid weight wool one very reasonably along w/ shirt & tie.

The cost could be less than the rental & he'll have it to keep!

A transatlantic is a great venue to wear black tie...the women are dressed to the nines so why not the guys......

Instead of renting try buying one..there are plenty of reasonable options these days & he could go to a discount store & find a nice mid weight wool one very reasonably along w/ shirt & tie.

The cost could be less than the rental & he'll have it to keep!

Yes by all means buy one. Its a great excuse to go on another cruise at the very least. :)

I've done several transatlantic crossings, including one on the Noordam. If one likes long, quiet, relaxing sea days, they are wonderful cruises.

In general, one will tend to see more tuxedos on the gentlemen on European cruise and on Transatlantic crossings. However, the percentage of men wearing Tuxedos rarely, if ever, totals more than 50% these days. 25-30% would be my guess, even on such crossings. I own my own Tuxedo, and hence I often wear it. However, a tuxedo not necessary. One sees plenty of gentlemen in suites or sports coats, slacks, dress shirts, and ties and they look good in the company of their ladies (or gentlemen). The Tuxedo rental option is particularly helpful because, if one decides to go with that option, one doesn't have to pack a Tuxedo, suite, or other formal gear for travel either direction ... it's all provided for you aboard the ship. That's a great option for those who are trying to travel light(er).

I hope you have a wonderful cruise, whatever you decide to do.

If you have the room and DH wants to wear a tux, absolutely do so! The bulk of the men on our Fall Med cruise in 2012 wore dark suits or tuxes. On a longer cruise, you have at least three formal nights. I agree with other posters - tuxes are so inexpensive, check into buying one - owning one is a good excuse for cruising more often!

We will, after years of planning, get to experience a transatlantic cruise this fall (Noordam). We anticipate what others have said: that the longer cruises are more relaxed and the formal nights more formal. To avoid packing a suit or tux for our flight to Rome, I will be renting a tux for the cruise. I have done this before (first cruise) and it was well worth it for me. (No dress shoes to pack either!) They even included two shirts. Granted, tuxes are not for everyone but I will enjoy the elegant experience, something we get all too few of at home.:)

Cheers!

I rented a tux once but purchased my own after that experience. The waist size of the provided pants was way too big for me!

I got my tux at JCPenny and the cost of the jacket and pants was about the same as the charge for renting that ill-fitting tux for one week. I have also seen tuxes and many vests at Burlington Coat Factory.

Yes, it is a bit more to pack, but you will look smashing in it.

We did a Noordam transatlantic, and not only did we see more tuxes than on any other HAL cruise, we also felt that the "smart casual" nights were a lot more formal. A lot of men wore sports jackets and some even ties....

Go with what makes you happy, but don't shy away from a tux! You might look around at local stores - or tux rental places that sell tuxes - when I bought mine, Syms (around NYC) was still in business and I got mine for $99!

Archived