Cruise and I have no luggage!

cruz chic

I had one suitcase plus a carryon on a 50 day segment of the world cruise that ranged from Antarctica to Tahiti and Sydney. I purchased unlimited laundry and mixed and matched. Actually, I could have done with less. I also watched my purchases carefully and carried back the heavier items. On recent Alaska cruise my suitcase weighed exactly 50 for the return.... I will have to be more careful in the future and probably use a smaller case which makes me cut down. By the way, I can not lift a carry-on into the overhead bins, but I have never lacked for help getting them up or down.

Susan

Oh I can get by with a suitcase for our 31 day - it's having ONLY a carry on that has me totally bamboozled. (what DH can get away with is another story:rolleyes:)

I wish we could discipline ourselves or figure out how to pack lighter and smaller. We did a 18-day trip to the Med last year and met up in Barcelona with friends from Maryland. Both couples stayed at the same hotel and embarkation morning we'd arranged for a private transfer from the hotel to the cruise terminal. The service arrived and the hotel doorman and bellman loaded the eight large bags and an equal number of carry-on bags into the back of the van the service was using. The four of us got into the van but the doorman hesitated closing the door for a moment. I said we were ready to go and he replied that he thought there were more of us based on the luggage. :eek::D

Our rule has always been one suitcase and carry on for each of us.

Well, I used the supersize ones(29 inch) that fit 50 pounds of stuff. Always managed to fill them up. Bought 24 inch suitcases last year for a short trip. Would you believe that totally packed under 40 pounds.

Found that I could use the same amount of clothes for longer trips so now use the smaller, easier to push through airports (four wheels).

For South America and freezing cold ports, I brought a down jacket that rolls up in a little bag, takes up no room.

After reading this thread, will cross pack with my husband. I always pack extra underwear in our carryon's.

So sorry Lorene your trip was so impacted.

We would have done really quick shopping in Ft. Lauderdale. As most people know sometimes finding just what you want can be a challenge.

Best wishes on your luggage. No fun!

Hopefully your cruise is to ports the airlines trust. On a cruise to 7 stops in West Africa, among other ports, one man never did get his luggage until Cape Town, where he was getting off the ship. His airline would not take responsibility for flying his luggage to any of the countries we visited in West Africa, too many problems, risks of it disappearing, etc.

He did fine, all knew of his situation and the ship provided enough clothes that he could at least wash his stuff. A few passengers also gave him a few shirts. He declined formal wear - went to the lido.

He freely admitted that it was in part his fault. He was flying from Canada through Seattle, where he changed planes. Somehow his luggage was only checked to Seattle, and not knowing this he did not pick it up and recheck it. He did not notice this until his stuff did not arrive in Europe. No time to ship it as he arrived on embarkation day. Two lessons I learned, 1. Always check your baggage claim checks to see it is going to your last airport and 2. Go at least a day early (I already knew and did both of these, but it did reinforced them.)

He took the whole thing very well and just "rolled with the punches".

Had friend who traveled & claim check had her flying to Minneapolis to Mephis (or similar) .... needless to say her luggage arrived 2 days late.... but it did arrive!! Hoping for best.

On-board laundry. That allowed me to go from two completely full bags on one cruise to one partially-empty bag on my most recent cruise. It was soooo much easier. I did self-serve laundry, but IMHO if you have to pay to have some laundry done it would still be worth it. Even better if your cabin class includes free laundry.

The friend who suggested doing laundry told me that part of the reason she does it is that she really likes getting home with a bag full of clean clothes, instead of having to worry about doing laundry as soon as she gets home. And you know, that's been my experience too! :)

I also bring a lot of books to read. Don't like Kindles etc. Next time, I will bring books that I don't mind leaving behind to open up even more room in my luggage. And less jewelry. I didn't wear half of what I brought, and worried about losing it.

Glad you and your bags are home safely, Lorene!

Home at last,free from travel stress

An entire wardrobe from which to dress.

Pleased we are dear Lorekauf is well.

She has given us upon much to dwell.

On how we shall pack for voyages next,

Should evil Luggage Gods decided to hex.

But fear not ye CC travelers brave,

We shall find a way, the day to save.

From our meager baggage will appear,

Complete outfits fit for champagne or beer.

To Lorekauf we say a heartfelt Welcome Home,

Just how many you've helped may never be known.

May your next cruise be filled with joy and laughter

And your luggage remain with you forever and after.:)

Even if you take a direct flight, you and your luggage could be parted.

Someone, please start that bundle thread.

Try this from a February 28, 2013, post, "Wrinkle free".

How to pack in bundles cushioning your clothes, avoiding wrinkles:

There was also a lengthy thread several months ago on bundling vs. air-free plastic bags. Personally, I prefer the latter method. I think you can squeeze more in and because the clothes can't move, there are few wrinkles.

Love it.

so nice!!

Archived