Cruise and I have no luggage!

cruz chic

Dear Santa,

Please bring Lorekauf a LoJac for her luggage. Please don't wait until Christmas. She really needs it before her next trip. And for good measure, could you throw in a chain (not too long) as a back up?

Hoping you will be re-united with you luggage again soon. And home too. ( hmmmm.... I guess "United" does not refer to traveling (united) WITH your luggage.) so sorry.

Just thought I'd give everyone an update. After being in the Chicago airport for 6 hours they canceled my flight to Calgary. We got transferred to a hotel WITHOUT luggage and of course I have nothing in my carry on. Why would I have needed it:rolleyes:. I've had one hour of sleep and not that much yesterday. I think this pretty much counts as a vacation I would rather forget. Sure hope I get out today because we have a storm coming in Calgary.

Oh, goodness! So sorry this happened. Makes me wish you had those ruby slippers and could click your heels and be home instantly, along with your luggage. You gotta admit it would beat flying with United!

It's called St.Pierre and rum distillery (sp). The tour desc. sounds boring but the scenery was really beautiful! I highly recommend it.

We took that tour last year and it was wonderful. The De Paz Rum Distillery and the grounds overlooking the ocean were amazing. However, we did not see the top of Mt. Pelee as it was cloud covered.

To all who have lost luggage or had it destroyed by United, our sympathies.

But I think it is only fair to point to another experience with United.

Just before Thanksgiving 2012, we were scheduled to connect with a United flight at Dulles (DC) from upstate NY, headed for San Diego. There wasn't much time for the connection, and we were worried about our luggage. (Knowing United's checkered history with this)

When we got to the gate in DC, things were going slowly, as people and luggage were starting to load. Then things stopped, and we were told to go to another gate at least a 1/2 mile away, and me with a injured leg. We commandeered a wheel chair, and rushed to the new gate. (hurry up & wait!) The plane they were going to load us onto was smaller than the originally scheduled equipment, and the gate people were looking for volunteers to take a later flight. Since we were going on a cruise (Infinity) and had a strict timetable worked out for pre-cruise days, we didn't volunteer, even with hefty $$ inducements.

As we waited, we learned the reason for the switch - the pilot, going through his pre-flight checks, had found a reason why the original plane had no business flying that day. He apparently stood his ground against some pretty strong pressure to fly the original plane.

All in all the delays took an hour off our take off time. We and our luggage made it safely to SD, on time, in a smooth flight through a nearly 100% clear US, with great views of the Grand Canyon toward the end.

As we departed the plane, the pilot stood at the cabin door - he looked exhausted. I wanted to hug him! But as our travel agent said, I probably would have gotten arrested if I had tried that these days! I just gave him a BIG Thank You! instead.

I've had some wild rides in airplanes, esp in winter one time, coming back from London into a snow/ice storm at JFK. (And then there was the rocky, Rocky Mt highs, around Denver. :eek: ) My luggage didn't make it home until 2 days later. But as others have pointed out, that is easier to deal with at home, than it is on a trip/vacation.

So, thank you Mr Pilot working for United, for keeping us safe, even if the baggage handlers don't always do their best jobs.

We have booked United for our trip to Vancouver in late June.

Lorene, I hope you and your luggage will arrive home together and that you can then try to remember the good parts of the vacation (although those other memories do have a way of sticking around). You certainly have had your share this trip!!!

Susan

Just thought I'd give everyone an update. After being in the Chicago airport for 6 hours they canceled my flight to Calgary. We got transferred to a hotel WITHOUT luggage and of course I have nothing in my carry on. Why would I have needed it:rolleyes:. I've had one hour of sleep and not that much yesterday. I think this pretty much counts as a vacation I would rather forget. Sure hope I get out today because we have a storm coming in Calgary.

I reserved good wishes respecting your recovered luggage pending the other shoe to drop - and it did.

As far as the broken mirror thing is concerned, unless you believe cameras capture souls and such I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As you are going home as you say, things will sort themselves out this time in a less frenetic atmosphere. This obviously isn't the vacation you paid for, but you have to admit, it will be one of your more memorable ones. :D

Ultimately everyone will be happy as you will be home and safe, and perhaps you can get on cafepress and create mugs and t-shirts to the effect : I survived the cruise of 2013. I for one, would buy it.

If the number 13 is a jinx, maybe the year is to blame - and yours is a cautionary tale for all of us to book all our cruises beginning next year. If we cannot wait that long, perhaps we should start now stocking-up on rabbits feet, horse shoes, four leaf clovers, St. Christopher medals and anything else we can think of prior to the journey.

I of course don't believe in any of this rubbish. My aluminum foil hat has not failed me yet.;)

Seriously, glad the ordeal is over and surely you will get your bags back soon.

Smooth sailing to you...

I'm home and very tired. I'm happy to report my luggage made it. I'll come back to this thread a little later.

I am happy to hear that you and your luggage have made it home!

Have a good night's rest and come back ONLY when you have had some decent sleep.

So glad you have finally made it.

I'm home and very tired. I'm happy to report my luggage made it. I'll come back to this thread a little later.

So VERY happy you are home -- and you got to arrive in DAYLIGHT :eek:

Rest, relax, restore -- all the "stuff" can wait till you are ready to do it.

one person, two lost bags that were found, and a couple of flight fluffs generated almost 400 posts? amazing. outreagously amazing. life must be going well for everyone. oh, my.

What is outrageous about care and concern about a fellow cruiser's misfortune? You sound very crotchety.

one person, two lost bags that were found, and a couple of flight fluffs generated almost 400 posts? amazing. outreagously amazing. life must be going well for everyone. oh, my.

Thank you for taking the time to post.:) Hope your life is going well too

Archived