Cruise and I have no luggage!

cruz chic

And I knew to look for it because I was on the same cruise and Lorene told me that she had started the thread.

Believe me when I say that Lorene handled her situation with more class and grace than I (and probably many of us) would have. Lorene, I'm really glad that everything finally worked out for you, although you certainly didn't need the additional post-cruise headaches. I think between your luggage issues and my health issues, we both need a do-over!

Get some well-deserved rest!

Thank you so much. What a wonderful post. I agree, we do deserve a do over. I hope you are feeling better.

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful posts. I know I would feel terrible if this happened to anyone else. I've been vegging at my parents house all afternoon when I should have been getting back to reality. I'm usually pretty driven but this has taken the air out of my tires. I'm hoping for a good nights sleep and will be getting ready to deal with a storm here. Thx so much! I'm going to have to change the way I pack because I really don't want to do this again. I appreciate the suggestions here and also from Rick and Joyce.

I believe you were the cc member that suggested it to me. I loved the tour. Thank you!

Your welcome. We are going back next January to get more of the rum punch from De Paz!!

I'm glad you made it home safely with your luggage!

Ken

If this luggage nonsense doesn't teach others to live out if a carry on, nothing will. So sorry about this luggage mess!!!

I'll continue to live out of my trusty eBags backpack no matter the trip, duration or season so I avoid this stress-enduring madness. :/

If this luggage nonsense doesn't teach others to live out if a carry on, nothing will. So sorry about this luggage mess!!!

I'll continue to live out of my trusty eBags backpack no matter the trip, duration or season so I avoid this stress-enduring madness. :/

I think you should start a thread so we can learn how to do this:D

We have a 31 day cruise with warm weather, the Baltics(cool) and formal nights. For the life of me, I cannot even contemplate how to do it out of a back pack.:eek: DH's carry on is usually full of camera equipment and mine has the meds, jewellry, documents, books, basic stuff (IN CASE the bags go missing) ipod and ipad:eek: (we do fly out 2 days early so if luggage is missing we do have time to have it 'found').

Obviously you have skills that we all could all use and benefit from;)

We have a 31 day cruise with warm weather, the Baltics(cool) and formal nights. For the life of me, I cannot even contemplate how to do it out of a back pack.:eek: DH's carry on is usually full of camera equipment and mine has the meds, jewellry, documents, books, basic stuff (IN CASE the bags go missing) ipod and ipad:eek: (we do fly out 2 days early so if luggage is missing we do have time to have it 'found').

We have your carry on problems. We can't lift a larger bag into the overhead bin so we are stuck with an under the seat bag each, as well as a smaller bag in the bin. After essentials that must be kept with you there is precious little room for spare clothing.

I would love to do this but I just don't see how I could do this. For me, I love to dress up and wear nice things. I'm a total girly girl. A vacation would not be the same for me with a couple pairs of pants and a couple shirts. I respect your choice but I think for most it's not doable.

I think I'm going to start out 2 days ealry as well when I go to Florida even though it eats too much vacation time. My mom and sister are begging me not to go to Florida again (or anywhere that requires a connection) but that leaves precious little for me. I'm on the verge of booking a Mexican Riviera cruise for April (Princess) but I'm sure nervous about flying again.

If this luggage nonsense doesn't teach others to live out if a carry on, nothing will.

That's simply not possible for many of us. My meds, make-up and jewelry fill one carry-on, with barely enough room for a change of undies.

The other carry-on holds my CPAP, with little extra room there, too.

Clothes take up space. There's no way to get around that.

That's simply not possible for many of us. My meds, make-up and jewelry fill one carry-on, with barely enough room for a change of undies.

I have the same problem. Not a cpap, but a noise maker or two to drown out noise(what else), jewelry,meds, and and that's just about it.I might be able to get one outfit in. I haven't tried it yet, but will next cruise.

Ruth, I think you do very well. I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you are able to travel with one suitcase on a cold weather cruise. I simply need to limit what I take on a cruise especially with HAL. I do have free laundry and can wash some of my "better" clothes out in the sink. You inspire me.

I have got to learn to pack less.

We each had a 50 lb. suitcase and a carry on each. I checked my carry on the return flight and put my purchases in there, and had a foldup bag that I used as my carry on! I took a photo of Fred with the luggage at the hotel after the cruise, and swear I will blow it up and look at it daily until it sinks in that "less is more".

I brought three formal outfits...and only wore my one favorite! The correct number of cropped pants; too many t-shirts...that sort of thing. And, a smart casual outfit I didn't wear either.

Ruth, I think you do very well. I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you are able to travel with one suitcase on a cold weather cruise.

I had the one suitcase on my recent SA/Antarctica cruise. That cruise needed day clothes for temps in the 90's, as well as sweatshirts and heavy slacks.

The suitcase was about 43 lbs before I put my heavy winter coat in it at the airport (going). I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get the coat in coming home, as I had purchased a large cape and a huge shawl. It did fit, but was about 48 lbs---to close for comfort.

My first rule of packing: formal wear goes in first, followed by clothes for the other evenings. That way I know there's room. ;)

What I don't mind is wearing the same outfit several times.

thanks, startwin, but i doubt it very seriously. lorekauf, i do regret your inconvenience and i am happy you are now home safe and sound and survived your experience. now it becoemes a 'past adventure' to be remembered and shared. :)

We are very fortunate to have a good variety of non-stop flights from Houston.

Even though connecting flights may be less expensive and it is tempting to take advantage of the savings, we have learned it is not worth the time or stress to choose a flight with connections.

Example... We had enough FF miles for a free flight on Delta. It would include a change of planes in Atlanta. I used the points for a solo sailing from NYC to Bermuda in October. Unusual winter storm hit the east coast. I almost got stuck in Atlanta. The flight was 6 hours late and I was lucky to make it. If I had purchased a non-stop flight, I would have made it in plenty of time.

We also took advantage of FF tickets to Seattle that required a change of plane in Phoenix. Almost didn't make the connection. Very stressful.

Non-stops for us in the future, if available. Even if it means purchasing a ticket or a more expensive fare.

B

If you have medical needs it definitely isn't possible, agreed.

There are tons of resources to pack efficiently, like 1bag1world, that give great tips. My wife can fit makeup, shoes, workout clothes, dresses and daily clothes using the bundle method.

It definitely isn't possible for all, but you don't have to forgo comfort by packing in a carry on IMO. :)

If you have medical needs it definitely isn't possible, agreed.

There are tons of resources to pack efficiently, like 1bag1world, that give great tips. My wife can fit makeup, shoes, workout clothes, dresses and daily clothes using the bundle method.

It definitely isn't possible for all, but you don't have to forgo comfort by packing in a carry on IMO. :)

I really think you should start that thread. I have seen the bundling method but have been concerned about wrinkling. We use the envelopes which work well and prevent things from being shuffled.

I am envisioning my carry on in my mind and can't imagine getting all that stuff in - bundling or no.

I suspect your DH has a better packing list than I.

I think you should start that thread! We could all potentially learn something.

We are very fortunate to have a good variety of non-stop flights from Houston.

Even though connecting flights may be less expensive and it is tempting to take advantage of the savings, we have learned it is not worth the time or stress to choose a flight with connections.

Example... We had enough FF miles for a free flight on Delta. It would include a change of planes in Atlanta. I used the points for a solo sailing from NYC to Bermuda in October. Unusual winter storm hit the east coast. I almost got stuck in Atlanta. The flight was 6 hours late and I was lucky to make it. If I had purchased a non-stop flight, I would have made it in plenty of time.

We also took advantage of FF tickets to Seattle that required a change of plane in Phoenix. Almost didn't make the connection. Very stressful.

Non-stops for us in the future, if available. Even if it means purchasing a ticket or a more expensive fare.

B

I'm all about taking a direct flight when possible and I will pay for it. I know some folks would take muliple flights to save $5. My comfort has always been worth more to me then money.

I had the one suitcase on my recent SA/Antarctica cruise. That cruise needed day clothes for temps in the 90's, as well as sweatshirts and heavy slacks.

The suitcase was about 43 lbs before I put my heavy winter coat in it at the airport (going). I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get the coat in coming home, as I had purchased a large cape and a huge shawl. It did fit, but was about 48 lbs---to close for comfort.

My first rule of packing: formal wear goes in first, followed by clothes for the other evenings. That way I know there's room. ;)

What I don't mind is wearing the same outfit several times.

Great info. I need to realize that I don't need a different outfit for every day of the cruise. If nothing else this has been a wake up call for me.

Ruth, I think you do very well. I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you are able to travel with one suitcase on a cold weather cruise. I simply need to limit what I take on a cruise especially with HAL. I do have free laundry and can wash some of my "better" clothes out in the sink. You inspire me.

Why limit what you take? You had two suitcases, and thank goodness you did -- getting the first one made life MUCH more tolerable, y'know? If your ONLY suitcase hadn't caught up with you until day 5? day 6? that would have been much worse.

Gotta say, I will now insist that DH and I cross-pack.

I'm fortunate that I'm able to get a couple of changes of clothes into my carry-on, and spare shoes (gotta have SHOES :D ).

Glad you're home, sorry you need a REAL vacation to recover from this "vacation" -- the debacle with the flights home would have put me over the edge.

I'm all about taking a direct flight when possible and I will pay for it. I know some folks would take muliple flights to save $5. My comfort has always been worth more to me then money.

Yeah, like we have soooooo many choices for direct flights :rolleyes: :D Too bad Winnipeg isn't an embarkation point :D After our first multi-connection flight to San Diego, I now insist on the shortest available flights. I'll give up wine onboard to pay for the extra cost (you KNOW that means I'm serious ;) )

I had one suitcase plus a carryon on a 50 day segment of the world cruise that ranged from Antarctica to Tahiti and Sydney. I purchased unlimited laundry and mixed and matched. Actually, I could have done with less. I also watched my purchases carefully and carried back the heavier items. On recent Alaska cruise my suitcase weighed exactly 50 for the return.... I will have to be more careful in the future and probably use a smaller case which makes me cut down. By the way, I can not lift a carry-on into the overhead bins, but I have never lacked for help getting them up or down.

Susan

Archived