Cruise and I have no luggage!

cruz chic

With the regards to the comments about some posters' not having empathy, it is interesting that when a poster brings up a difficult/disasterous/devastating situation that is HAL's fault, the tone changes. Posters are told that they should get over it, Ship Happens, if that's the worst that's ever happened to them they're lucky, at least they're on a cruise, etc. However, this incident is not HAL's fault, and people are coming out of the woodwork to express their sympathy/empathy.

For the record, I would be out of my mind if my bags didn't get on the ship through no fault of my own. But if it were HAL's fault (which it isn't in this case), I don't think I'd get the same good wishes and encouragement as the OP is getting here.

Hope that second bag shows up soon.

With the regards to the comments about some posters' not having empathy, it is interesting that when a poster brings up a difficult/disasterous/devastating situation that is HAL's fault, the tone changes. Posters are told that they should get over it, Ship Happens, if that's the worst that's ever happened to them they're lucky, at least they're on a cruise, etc. However, this incident is not HAL's fault, and people are coming out of the woodwork to express their sympathy/empathy.

For the record, I would be out of my mind if my bags didn't get on the ship through no fault of my own. But if it were HAL's fault (which it isn't in this case), I don't think I'd get the same good wishes and encouragement as the OP is getting here.

Hope that second bag shows up soon.

Agreed. It is interesting and perceptive.

Since so many feel the need to interpret my post as "nasty" or "unsympathetic" I would like to respond.

My comment centered on the word "disaster" being used to describe the lost bag experience. (And by the way, it was not Lorekauf, the original poster, who used the word "disaster.") I was simply pointing out that while the situation would most definitely be difficult, challenging, hard to swallow, disappointing, and a MAJOR inconvenience, the reaction on this thread seemed a bit overdramatic with the reference to it being a "disaster."

To me, learning that my 12 year old nephew had been diagnosed with leukemia - THAT was disasterous; hearing that my childhood neighbor and family friend had been shot to death by her abusive ex-husband - THAT was disasterous. I'm sure each and every one of you have experienced your own disasters in life, and I am in no way trying to minimize that. As the OP pointed out, no one knows what is going on in someone else's life, and they shouldn't make assumptions.

With that being said, I am most certainly sympathetic to Lorekauf's position. It is definitely not something I would want to experience either. Did you not read the last line of my post??? I was rooting for her to get her bags right along with the rest of you. And I am hoping bag #2 makes it to Barbados.

Sorry that so many of you chose to interpret my post as something that it was not. It had nothing to do with the situation at hand, and everything to do with what I consider an over the top reaction by referring to the lost luggage as a "disaster. No disrespect meant, Lorekauf - I hope you thoroughly enjoy the remainder of your cruise - with or without the second bag.

So there you have it folks - pile on if you want, have at it.

It's obvious that AIP was reacting to posters rather than OP. Lorekauf seems to have managed to maintain her sense of humour and at least has one piece of luggage, and hopefully another soon. Whew!

So let's leave the bickering and just be happy for Lorekauf.

I always pack a change of clothes in my carry-on. Also, thanks to advice on some board or another, I place a complete itinerary (which I have already prepared for family and petsitter) on top of the clothes in my luggage. It has flights, hotel, cruise itin, cell phone number, etc. I like to think it might help the airline locate me if my luggage was lost.

On a Russian river cruise, our luggage was lost. I got mine first on the next day, one got hers the next day, and the third the third day. I loaned the third formal dress (jersey skirt and blouse). Even though she is easily 6" taller than I, she looked so much better in the blouse than I did, I ended up giving it to her. We all managed (though I'm sure it was easier for me).

So there you have it folks - pile on if you want, have at it.

I think everyone made their point. It is not necessary to compare horror stories with one another.

Things are looking up now and we hope that wayward bag finds its way to where it belongs.

Smooth sailing to you and your nephew.:)

I appreciate your good wishes, world citizen - my nephew is currently in remission and at age 16, just got his driver's license, something we weren't sure he'd ever get to experience.

Thanx to you too, Sue, for understanding where I was coming from. And I agree wholeheartedly - lets move on.

I appreciate your good wishes, world citizen - my nephew is currently in remission and at age 16, just got his driver's license, something we weren't sure he'd ever get to experience.

Thanx to you too, Sue, for understanding where I was coming from. And I agree wholeheartedly - lets move on.[/

I am the person who used the term disaster. In case you think I do not know the disaster of Leukemia you are wrong. My son was diagnosed 18 months ago and believe me, we had a disaster of a year, culminating in what seems to be a successful stem cell transplant. I am sure you know the relief that brings due to your own experience.

There are just degrees of disaster, of which losing luggage would be on the lower end of the scale, but would be a disaster for us, nonetheless.

I did not mean to seem unfeeling to the plight of others by expressing my feelings for Lorene and referring to the situation as a disaster. Lorene is a very good friend of mine and I feel very deeply about her plight.

So sorry about your son, Sapper. I do know just how devastating that news is. Praying that the transplant is a success and there are brighter days ahead. Positive thinking and excellent health care professionals are a great combination.

I also understand your concern for your friend Lorene. As I said before, lets just move on.

So sorry about your son, Sapper. I do know just how devastating that news is. Praying that the transplant is a success and there are brighter days ahead. Positive thinking and excellent health care professionals are a great combination.

I also understand your concern for your friend Lorene. As I said before, lets just move on.

We're cool.

Glad to see that, no matter what has happened in your personal life, Sapper, you can still reach out and sympathise/empathise with others no matter what the issue. As can most of us, regardless of major heartbreaks and challenges in our lives. Heck, in spite of something dreadful being faced by some (me included in case you think I'm being insensitive), the loss of a suitcase on a cruise is still a major disaster, especially to a woman.:eek:

Now I'm waiting for the next thrilling installment, where Lorene gets reunited with the second bag:D

Thanx to you too, Sue, for understanding where I was coming from. And I agree wholeheartedly - lets move on.[/

I am the person who used the term disaster. In case you think I do not know the disaster of Leukemia you are wrong. My son was diagnosed 18 months ago and believe me, we had a disaster of a year, culminating in what seems to be a successful stem cell transplant. I am sure you know the relief that brings due to your own experience.

There are just degrees of disaster, of which losing luggage would be on the lower end of the scale, but would be a disaster for us, nonetheless.

I did not mean to seem unfeeling to the plight of others by expressing my feelings for Lorene and referring to the situation as a disaster. Lorene is a very good friend of mine and I feel very deeply about her plight.

I am so sorry sapper1 to hear about your son.

Hope your son keeps improving and there will be no more problems.

Prayers for your son.

I`m surprised by some of the posts on this thread. I don`t know why people feel the need to be nasty. I`m telling you right now this isn`t the worst thing that happened to me this year so please don`t think I live some kind of charmed life. It`s because I`ve had to suffer thru a few unpleasant things lately that this is not welcome to me. I sure hope karma doesn`t come back and bite you. No one knows what is going on in someones life so please don`t make assumptions.

Thanks to everyone that has been so kind and positive. I really appreciate it. My other bag will not get here to St.Lucia today but maybe make it in Barbados. It`s coming back from Bora Bora (;):D). I think from now on I will take a big suitcase and a bigger carry on. I never want to be one of those people that carry on a lot but I guess I`m going to have to be.

Thank goodness for cheap internet in St. Lucia:D!

Lorene

I have been thinking about you all day.

Really hope that you get the second suitcase tomorrow in Barbados.

Yonnie

Many (perhaps most ?) of us fly on our own and have no contact with HAL shoreside staff at the airport. DH and I arrive, claim our luggage and almost never see HAL there. We have no expectation they'd be present at a flight for an 'independent' traveler.... as we are called.

However, we can get tags from stevedores at the dock if we need them.

I agree sail. We fly on our own - always arriving a couple of days early -- don't use HAL's transfers -- thus there would be no reason for a HAL rep to meet us in the luggage claim area.

[

If one has to hear such frightening news as someone for whom you wish well has a son diagnosed with serious illness, it is best to hear it when the news is good. :) To hear he has had a stem cell transplant and is doing well, is the good news part.

Wishing you and your family the very best and the most hearty of good health for your son.

First of all, I want to say that I've been reading the postings of AIP since we first went to Alaska in 2010. She is a nice person and doesn't stir up stuff on these boards.

Second of all, I felt I wanted to express how I would feel if my luggage were delayed or lost. To me, it would be a disaster. Yup---the cruise would not be the same without having my stuff. I am a FOUR different type cancer survivor, so I know what it's like to have death staring you in the face. And, I still have cancer, but it is microscopic at this point. I had myself dead and buried at age 40, then again at 55. That is a terrible situation to be in, but IMHO, not having my stuff for a cruise would put a huge damper on that situation. We have been on cruises in Europe where people didn't have their luggage for many days and they managed to laugh about it. For me, it would be a disaster---but who knows, maybe if I went through it, it wouldn't be as bad as I am imagining.

Those of you who are reading this, don't you dare tell me that there are things that could be worse. I've been there and I still say not having your luggage would be a disaster---just a different type of disaster.

[

If one has to hear such frightening news as someone for whom you wish well has a son diagnosed with serious illness, it is best to hear it when the news is good. :) To hear he has had a stem cell transplant and is doing well, is the good news part.

Wishing you and your family the very best and the most hearty of good health for your son.

Thank you Sail. Things are very good right now.

First of all, I want to say that I've been reading the postings of AIP since we first went to Alaska in 2010. She is a nice person and doesn't stir up stuff on these boards.

Second of all, I felt I wanted to express how I would feel if my luggage were delayed or lost. To me, it would be a disaster. Yup---the cruise would not be the same without having my stuff. I am a FOUR different type cancer survivor, so I know what it's like to have death staring you in the face. And, I still have cancer, but it is microscopic at this point. I had myself dead and buried at age 40, then again at 55. That is a terrible situation to be in, but IMHO, not having my stuff for a cruise would put a huge damper on that situation. We have been on cruises in Europe where people didn't have their luggage for many days and they managed to laugh about it. For me, it would be a disaster---but who knows, maybe if I went through it, it wouldn't be as bad as I am imagining.

Those of you who are reading this, don't you dare tell me that there are things that could be worse. I've been there and I still say not having your luggage would be a disaster---just a different type of disaster.

You sound as though you have a wonderfully determined spirit and I hope you continue to do well.

Well put Linda - you deserve umpteem cruises for the challenges that you have faced:) I hope someday we have the pleasure to cruise with you.

I LOVE your attitude.

Blessings to you for your ongoing struggle:) I admire you.

You have a strong, wonderful spirit.

Life gets done to all of us. How many reach our fifties, sixties and more without adversity, illness, death of loved ones...... all sorts of challenges.

Like most people here, I've had my fair share and have lasting medical issues but it is what it is. Everyone has an assortment of issues and we all deal with them the best we can.

The point is we don't have to explain the things that are upsetting to us and one person's 'big deal' does not have to be approved by anyone. If I didn't have my luggage, I may as well go home. Seriously, I would be uncomfortable and unhappy and would not enjoy myself enough to make it worth remaining. No one has to understand that except my DH. :D I don't wear the same clothes at home, I don't want to wear the same jersey day after day and that would be the end of vacation for me. I grant that because we vacation/cruise often, I would faster to leave the cruise than someone who waited two years for their cruise.

HAL airport reps are there to assist in any way that they can, from stapling your pre-printed luggage tags, to directing you to the nearest food outlet, restroom, or taxi stand.

You do not have to have airport transfers with HAL to start up a friendly conversation or ask questions.

David

Sapper, I'm really sorry to hear about your son, but happy that the stem sell transplant seems to be successful.

We all have our stories and the things we call disasters. While not having my luggage would not be a disaster, it would make me very unhappy. From head to toe, I have difficulty getting clothing and shoes that fit. I don't know if I would leave the cruise, but I can't imagine what I would wear. My carry on will now be packed differently.

I'm hoping Lorene gets her second bag soon.

HAL airport reps are there to assist in any way that they can, from stapling your pre-printed luggage tags, to directing you to the nearest food outlet, restroom, or taxi stand.

You do not have to have airport transfers with HAL to start up a friendly conversation or ask questions.

David

David,

My only point is that we fly to our embarkation ports at least two days prior to our cruise and sometimes more, HAL does not know our flight information and, therefore, there is no HAL rep there to assist. No reason they would be. They can't help with anything if they aren't there.

We are 'independents' and there is no reason for them to be at baggage claim for our flight when we have not given HAL flight information and more importantly did not do our air through the cruise line.

Archived