Carnival Ship will be using Royal Caribbeans Coco Cay

Apologies from a coughing moron

Rule #1

Never post whilst taking cough medicine ( prescription)

Called RCCL Crown and Anchor- they had no idea where Little Stirrup Cay was, or that Carnival was leasing, renting , borrowing, bartering for Coco Cay. The rep went and asked a' hgiher up", confirmed the letter from Carnival and siad that it should not ever impact RCL guests. Said his surpervisor was impressed that a CC member had actually posted the letter from Carnival on CC!!

I also should learn how to count! Ships will not met on the Cay!

As far as RCL said today, the only itinerary this is affecting is the Carnival form Jacksonville . Said Key West is too congested on the days that Carival was to visit.

Have a sparkling weekend, all!!

Those dates on the letter are the ships sail date, not the date they stop at the island. I don't think they will have a RCCL and a CCL ship at the island at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

You are TOTALLY correct!

Damned codeine cough syrup!!!

They have a 100 year lease on the island. So essentially, yes, it is their island. The people living on and maintaining the island are paid RCI employees. If something changed and RCCL lost their exclusive rights to their own lease, I would think we would have seen something about it.

What's L-Dee? :confused:

Correct. RCI has very long term leases on both Coco Cay and Labadee. They have sole rights to both islands thus the huge investment that they have made in improvements on both places. Not much different than grand Turk where Carnival built the pier and surrounding area. Other lines pay Carnival Corp. to use this area.

I wonder if there was at one point a clause of exclusivity, and that contract expired, and a new one was negociated without it.

I assume the owners realize an empty island make no money. And RCCL bunch of cruisers wouldn't know who was there the day before, or shouldn't.

100%. At the least there is a new lease / additional lease that benefits the owner, royal, and ccl all 3 which are in business to make money, creating jobs for locals from the Bahamas.

I wonder if there was at one point a clause of exclusivity, and that contract expired, and a new one was negociated without it.

I assume the owners realize an empty island make no money. And RCCL bunch of cruisers wouldn't know who was there the day before, or shouldn't.

I have a friend, an RCI employee, currently on a contract on the island. I emailed him yesterday and he replied today. He didn't know the particulars, but said RCCL is still the lease holder and that they are basically subletting the island to MSC and CCL. Those cruise lines have to provide their own bartenders, entertainment, etc, but certain RCI employees, like the lifeguards, will still work those days. Again, he said he wasn't sure, but was told RCI did agree to rent the island.

He also said the current lease does not expire for something like 70 more years.

I have a friend, an RCI employee, currently on a contract on the island. I emailed him yesterday and he replied today. He didn't know the particulars, but said RCCL is still the lease holder and that they are basically subletting the island to MSC and CCL. Those cruise lines have to provide their own bartenders, entertainment, etc, but certain RCI employees, like the lifeguards, will still work those days. Again, he said he wasn't sure, but was told RCI did agree to rent the island.

He also said the current lease does not expire for something like 70 more years.

I bet HIS does! LOL.

All makes sense. CCL is sure to muck it up.

100%. At the least there is a new lease / additional lease that benefits the owner, royal, and ccl all 3 which are in business to make money, creating jobs for locals from the Bahamas.

LOL.... Why do you think there has to be a new lease? RCI has the right to rent the island to any other cruise line just like Carnival Corp can and does with Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk.

It does strike me as odd that some folks are so sensitive about this new arrangement with Carnival.

Anyway, we are about 5 to 1 on trips to Coco Cay which is especially good compared to some folks. My brother-in-law is 0 for 3 attempts. He jokes that Coco Cay does not really exist. It could turn out poorly for Carnival also at this island or they could be as lucky as we have been and be able to enjoy the island frequently.

Twice we were on Coco Cay and the weather changed fast and furiously. We had a very difficult time getting back on the ship. What an experience! It showed me first hand why passengers weren't taken of Triumph.

We're "0 for" as well. We cruised on MOS a few yesrs ago and when we woke up and didn't see Coco Cay, we thought Ben Linus had turned the donkey wheel on us... :)

It does strike me as odd that some folks are so sensitive about this new arrangement with Carnival.

Anyway, we are about 5 to 1 on trips to Coco Cay which is especially good compared to some folks. My brother-in-law is 0 for 3 attempts. He jokes that Coco Cay does not really exist. It could turn out poorly for Carnival also at this island or they could be as lucky as we have been and be able to enjoy the island frequently.

Twice we were on Coco Cay and the weather changed fast and furiously. We had a very difficult time getting back on the ship. What an experience! It showed me first hand why passengers weren't taken of Triumph.

I don't think anyone is being overly sensitive. Some are concerned about scheduling too many ships at once and others are just puzzled about the arrangement. Both appear to have been covered in this thread. For the record, we're 0 for 4 and I'm with your brother-in-law. I'm starting to believe it doesn't exist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One point nobody has mentioned yet. If Carnival can't go to Key West anymore at the Navy pier neither can RCL.

So what will RCL put in place of Key West????

Go to Half Moon Cay.

I am one of those Carnival guests effected by this. I am not a drinker. I enjoy Mallory Square @ sundown and, since our departure from Key West was to be @ 2PM. I am glad we have this change. More thankful they did not stick us with Freeport! Thank you for sharing your paradise with us. :o

Go to Half Moon Cay.

I am one of those Carnival guests affected by this. I am not a drinker. I enjoy Mallory Square @ sundown and, since our departure from Key West was to be @ 2PM. I am glad we have this change. More thankful they did not stick us with Freeport! Thank you for sharing your paradise with us. :o

Paradise is in the eye of the beholder. I can't stand these "private" forced beach day stops.

LOL.... Why do you think there has to be a new lease? RCI has the right to rent the island to any other cruise line just like Carnival Corp can and does with Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk.

You know this for a fact, that they can sublease? This would have to be written into their contract. Do you have inside information that the rest of us don't, or is this just your opinion?

One point nobody has mentioned yet. If Carnival can't go to Key West anymore at the Navy pier neither can RCL.

So what will RCL put in place of Key West????

RCI does not use the Navy pier. The only RCCL ship I have seen there is the Millennium. Otherwise, according to the cruise ship calendar, the pier is still being used. So, I'm back to being curious.....one, why Fadcination pulled out and two, the business agreement involving Coco Cay.

You know this for a fact, that they can sublease? This would have to be written into their contract. Do you have inside information that the rest of us don't, or is this just your opinion?

RCI has rented out the island in the past to other cruise lines. You figure it out and prove me wrong.:rolleyes:

I just wanted to clear up some information about Half Moon Cay. I have sailed on HAL since 1985 at the age of 5. Now I have over 200 days with them. Half Moon Cay was bought by Holland America Line from the Bahamian government in 1996. It was first used by a HAL ship in 1997. As most people know HAL sails the Caribbean from early October to mid April, during this time the only ship to call at Half Moon Cay is a Holland America ship. It is when HAL isn't in the caribbean where the allow CCL to use the island. They have full time employees living on the island and it would be a waste of man power if they didn't have anything to do on the off season.

Yes, you can consider Half Moon Cay as being owned by CCL because they are the parent company of HAL. However, all of the improvements and repair work that goes into Half Moon Cay comes from the pockets of HAL in Seattle.

Right now CCL uses Grand Turk as their private area as the put a whole lot of capital in the cruise center they built there. I have to say that out of the three private area that I have visited. Half Moon Cay, Labadee, Grand Turk. I would say Half Moon Cay is my favorite, followed by Grand Turk and finally Labadee. Of course this is only my opinion.

I love this solution. Royal Caribbean gets the rent and Carnival passengers will see what Royal Caribbean passengers get and how much fun we have . This is one step in the right direction for taking away passengers from Carnival and new passengers on Royal. I imagine Royal is in the talks to buy Carnival and its ships in the near future so this is the start of the buy out process :D:D

I am really sorry to say I think that the ability for RCI to purchase CCL is a little out of the financial ability of RCI. Right now the total assets for CCL is $39 billion while RCI only have total assets at $19 billion. Also the US government would never allow this to happen because of what is called a monopoly. You need to get your facts straight.

I just wanted to clear up some information about Half Moon Cay. I have sailed on HAL since 1985 at the age of 5. Now I have over 200 days with them. Half Moon Cay was bought by Holland America Line from the Bahamian government in 1996. It was first used by a HAL ship in 1997. As most people know HAL sails the Caribbean from early October to mid April, during this time the only ship to call at Half Moon Cay is a Holland America ship. It is when HAL isn't in the caribbean where the allow CCL to use the island. They have full time employees living on the island and it would be a waste of man power if they didn't have anything to do on the off season.

Yes, you can consider Half Moon Cay as being owned by CCL because they are the parent company of HAL. However, all of the improvements and repair work that goes into Half Moon Cay comes from the pockets of HAL in Seattle.

Right now CCL uses Grand Turk as their private area as the put a whole lot of capital in the cruise center they built there. I have to say that out of the three private area that I have visited. Half Moon Cay, Labadee, Grand Turk. I would say Half Moon Cay is my favorite, followed by Grand Turk and finally Labadee. Of course this is only my opinion.

Carnival uses HMC year round, not just in the summer.

Sorry, I did over look the cruise here and there. However, Carnival can't call on the island when a Holland America Line ship is using the island. Two HAL ships can share the island at the same time, but a Carnival ship can't be at the island when HAL is there.

If you look at the Carnival Cruises that call on Half Moon Cay the stop sailing around the middle of the December with one exception on the Fantasy for one cruise and they don't return until the middle of April. The last cruise for HAL in the Caribbean is during the beginning of April and that is why Carnival starts using Half Moon Cay again.

RCI does not use the Navy pier. The only RCCL ship I have seen there is the Millennium. Otherwise, according to the cruise ship calendar, the pier is still being used. So, I'm back to being curious.....one, why Fadcination pulled out and two, the business agreement involving Coco Cay.

Paul, I beg to differ. I was just on the Jewel in December and we did stop at the Navy pier. Disney was there at the same time and they were docked right downtown. We had to use the trams to get into town and had to go through the Navy checkpoint and show our passports.

Maybe from now on they won't be using that dock and only one or two ships can be in Key West on any given day, depending on the ships size.

Archived