Carnival Ship will be using Royal Caribbeans Coco Cay

Yea, in various places around the island, the Crown and Anchor logo is cut in to the wood signs, and some of the buildings have the Royal name in them....not many though.

Like most, I'm just curious about the business arrangement. I would be asking the same questions if RCI started going to Castaway Cay or NCL started going to Princess Cays. I'm not sure why some are being so sensitive.

Have to agree with Aquahound, it's more of a curiosity of the business arrangement. It's great to see both companies are able to play well in the sandbox, but this is a very rare exception.

Also the sign as you enter the island says Coco Cay not Little Stirup Cay. Those cruisers on Carnival that are observant people will notice that, though if they are virgin cruisers they won't put two and two together and notice the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

It does strike me as odd that some folks are so sensitive about this new arrangement with Carnival.

Anyway, we are about 5 to 1 on trips to Coco Cay which is especially good compared to some folks. My brother-in-law is 0 for 3 attempts. He jokes that Coco Cay does not really exist. It could turn out poorly for Carnival also at this island or they could be as lucky as we have been and be able to enjoy the island frequently.

Twice we were on Coco Cay and the weather changed fast and furiously. We had a very difficult time getting back on the ship. What an experience! It showed me first hand why passengers weren't taken of Triumph.

What is funny is i'm 4-4 on getting on the island.

Looking at the letter, I don't believe the Fascination will be at Coco Cay on 3/11/13. That's the date of the sailing so they would be at Coco Cay on 3/14/13 if I'm looking at it correctly.

You are right. Thanks for pointing that out! I panicked thinking I don't want to share Coco Cay when I'm there!

What is the name of the other island right next to Coco Cay that other cruise ships call at. WE were just there and there was a Norweign ship there.

Great Stirup Cay

And THAT is Norwegian's "private island".

I've been away from Cruise Critic for over 2 years. I kinda just got bored with it and took a looooooong break. But its nice to come and listen to the banter back and forth between members. I've missed you guys!!!

Welcome back. I have learned a great deal about ships and cruising (for good and bad) from the boards. The knowledge of some of our members is amazing. Of course you have to weed out the ones talking out of their hats also.

Welcome back. I have learned a great deal about ships and cruising (for good and bad) from the boards. The knowledge of some of our members is amazing. Of course you have to weed out the ones talking out of their hats also.

...Hey Temple1.......I'm not wearing a hat today.........:D:D

.......welcome back Emi's mom....you missed smuggling, tipping, seat saving, on board credits,...etc. etc..etc....see you didn't miss a thing.....:D

I didn't notice if anyone else brought this up, but it will be interesting to see how financial transactions on the island are handled. You know, if you want to buy a coco-loco. I would think entirely separate computer systems would need to be brought in to allow seapass transactions to take place.

I didn't notice if anyone else brought this up, but it will be interesting to see how financial transactions on the island are handled. You know, if you want to buy a coco-loco. I would think entirely separate computer systems would need to be brought in to allow seapass transactions to take place.

That's what happens right now. Each ship that visits Coco Cay brings their own computers. Same thing happens on check-in day when you first board the cruise. All those computers at the check-in desks are brought on shore from the ship, and connected to the ship's network.

Plus, many of the bar servers at Coco Cay are still manually writing folio numbers on bar checks.

What is funny is i'm 4-4 on getting on the island.

1 for 1.

Having been on the island, I would definitely prefer it to Key West. It had a beautiful beach and great snorkeling.

Just wondering, has anyone ever found one of those 'fish' they say to look for, and if you have, what prize do you win.

So now my day on Coco Cay will ALSO have a Carnival ship there? We booked our cruise on Granduer, first assuring that no other ships were at CC that day ( sometimes RCL has 2.) It is PACKED when Freedom is there alone in the summer...

Crud muffins.

yes, i checked- Granduer and Carnival same day....

So now my day on Coco Cay will ALSO have a Carnival ship there? We booked our cruise on Granduer, first assuring that no other ships were at CC that day ( sometimes RCL has 2.) It is PACKED when Freedom is there alone in the summer...

Crud muffins.

Those dates on the letter are the ships sail date, not the date they stop at the island. I don't think they will have a RCCL and a CCL ship at the island at the same time.

Crud muffins.

I guess we can rule you out for the royal,ccl volley ball beach challenge then:D

Crud muffins.

....then watch where you step when you arrive on Coco Cay......the beaches probably will be littered with red plastic bags from your Carnival guests.......:eek:

Hey LOEYTALLDOG - are you on the March 10th FOS sailing? Come join our roll call - if you would like!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1532882

*back to your regular thread*

Thanks .. yes we are! I'll have to come check it out. I thought last time I checked a few months ago it seemed a little slow, maybe it's picked up since then :)!

It really makes sense for both cruise lines. RCL can get income on days they don't otherwise stop there. Carnival saves a huge amount on fuel, because Little Stirrup is closer than Half Moon. There's very little signage, and what little there is can be easily covered with a Carnival logo. The main issue would be the SeaPass system, but that should be fairly easy to work out with portable or handheld POS systems.

Actually, it would be kind of nice for the cruise lines to mix it up a little, and have RCL call at Carnival and Disney's islands once in a while.

Start of a new industry trend? Or temporary solution to a problem? What do you think?

RCI does not own this island nor L-Dee either. They rent CCkay and I belive on L-Dee they pay per passenger brought there.

Maybe there is a new contract now with the owner of the island.

I wonder if there was at one point a clause of exclusivity, and that contract expired, and a new one was negociated without it.

I assume the owners realize an empty island make no money. And RCCL bunch of cruisers wouldn't know who was there the day before, or shouldn't.

That's what happens right now. Each ship that visits Coco Cay brings their own computers. Same thing happens on check-in day when you first board the cruise. All those computers at the check-in desks are brought on shore from the ship, and connected to the ship's network.

I didn't know this until a fog delay out of Galveston. They wanted to check-in guests waiting to board, but the ship was unable to come through the channel to dock, due to heavy fog. They eventually started semi-checking us in, assigning us color codes to organize the process when finally able to get the computers off the ship. It was a LONG day.

Ironically, it was repeated at the back end of our cruise, when fog delayed OUR docking. The NEXT set of cruisers were left waiting to check-in.

People say fog delays out of Galveston are rare, but not in MY (albeit limited) experience!!

Archived