Worred about having booked handicapped room

bessinfl

We just booked a handicapped cabin, 6013, on the Constellation for a five-day western Caribbean trip. I chose it over non-handicapped rooms because I read that deck 6 is particularly quiet and the cabin is mid-ship, near but not next to the elevators.

Now I'm worried because A) I understand our cabin could be changed at any time before we sail because we're not handicapped (and of course I don't want to take away a cabin from someone who does have disabilities), and B) I'm afraid the room will be odd and filled with lots of rails and other paraphernalia for disabled people.

Has anyone had experiences they can share about handicapped rooms? Should we request a change now?

Thanks. I'm afraid I made a bad decision in the middle-of-the-night excitement of booking the cruise.

WE once stayed in a handicapped room - although it was on the Summit so it might be different from your ship. It was a very last minute cabin assignment.

The positive was that the cabin was larger as it was a bit wider. But overall I thought the accessible features were a bit of a negative for someone who does not require them. The usable closet space was smaller as it was equipped with a lever system to lower the main rod. I didn't particularly like the ramps at the bathroom and veranda doorways. I also didn't like the looks and layout of the bathroom as much including the fact that we had to lay towels on the floor of the bathroom to keep shower water from going all over since the shower had not threshold for accessibility reasons - this happened a lot on our cruise as we had above average motion on that sailing.

The bottom line is that while these features may be wonderful to someone who needs them they are at least a minor negative for someone who doesn't.

I don't know how far out your cruise is but I am presuming it is relatively close. Celebrity puts these cabins on sale to everyone, including those without handicaps, as the cruise date approaches as they do not want to sail with them unsold. Some people like these cabins because of the slightly larger width. Others get them assigned as guarantees or book them for other reasons. I'd have no problem booking one close to the cruise date when they are released for general sale. The only time I'd personally have a big issue with an able bodied person booking them is if they claim to have a handicap in order to book one when they do not have a true need for this type of cabin.

I have a big probem with people who are not disabled booking a disabled persons category.

There are so few equiped cabins per ship, you might be taking a cabin out of inventory and leaving a disabled person from cruising. I don't want to beat you down about this, just that it is not the right thing to do just because you like the location better.

I will echo what LSimon said. We had a handicapped room on Equinox, which we booked close to sailing when it was released to the general public. The extra width was nice (especially on the balcony), but as she mentioned, the shower was a bit annoying because the water went everywhere. For us, the positives outweighed the negatives, but you'll definitely want to make sure that Celebrity has ascertained that no one with a handicap requires the space before booking.

I have a big probem with people who are not disabled booking a disabled persons category.

There are so few equiped cabins per ship, you might be taking a cabin out of inventory and leaving a disabled person from cruising. I don't want to beat you down about this, just that it is not the right thing to do just because you like the location better.

Celebrity waits until shortly before the cruise actually sails to allow regular bookings into the accessible rooms. The assumption by the line is that those who need an accessible room will have booked by then. It is not the lines job to hold those rooms until the last minute, just in case someone needs the accessible room. The line should not be forced to have the room go empty because they were holding the accessible room.

OP, the biggest issue will be the bathroom. Also, in some rooms, they cannot put the beds together dur to the modifications of the room. I don't know if that is the case in your room.

Only you can decide if the room will suit, and location is one good reason to keep it.

I'm sorry Bess, but booking an accessible cabin because you "think it will be quieter" is just not right------UNLESS your cruise is close to sailing. If you booked this cabin and it's not past final payment date, someone who doesn't need an accessible cabin shouldn't book one just because you want it quiet and on deck 6. I cannot tell you how many cruises I've not been able to take because all the accessible cabins are booked, sometimes way in advance and at times booked by those who don't need them.

Those of you who aren't disabled need to understand something. For instance on Equinox, there are ONLY 30 accessible cabins !!!!! A measly 30 out of probably more than 1200. Able bodied persons have choices in every cabin category while we disabled can choose from just a few categories.

And BTW, Bess, if you booked this cabin earlier than final payment date, you will be sent a form that you must sign, asking why you need the accessible cabin. It's a rather new law that cruise ships can ask why you need the accessible cabin. It cannot, by law, ask what your disability is, but they can ask the reasons why you need the cabin such as having a wheelchair, scooter, walker or some other mobility device.

Algebralovr, Celebrity doesn't stop people from booking accessible cabins, but they do ask why the cabin is needed and if someone wants to "fudge" on that form, they can. And, unfortunately I know a number of travel agents who will book their clients into accessible cabins just because they're bigger, and not because of need. We disabled don't expect cabins to go empty, that would be insane, but we don't expect people who don't need these cabins to be allowed to book them early on. Like I said, if Bess booked this cabin and it's late in the booking process, like after final payment date, then that's fine. But if her cruise is far off, booking an accessible cabin with no need is not right.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I do want to say that when I booked the room, I got a notice saying that Celebrity will bump us out of the room if a disabled person needs it. So there's no question of our stealing the room from someone who needs it -- and I certainly wouldn't want to do that.

The cruise isn't until December, so I'm not sure why they made it available this early.

But now there's another question: The cabin I booked, on deck 6, seems to be right above a lifeboat, and I'm thinking that, while they don't call it an obstructed view, it might well be. All of the other rooms in category 2B are either far forward or far aft, which doesn't thrill me. I am thinking of paying more and getting a 2A cabin midship. It's not nearly so much of a bargain, but I suspect I'd be a lot happier.

Bess, I see you're not sailing until December, so you're not last minute. I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong !!! And, may I point out to you that once a cabin is out of inventory, it's GONE. There is no notation that your cabin is booked by an able bodied person. Not even a booking agent at Celebrity will have that information. There's nothing in any computer that says "Cabin such and such is booked by an able bodied person" and they will change you if I should call needing that cabin.

I'm sorry, but as a disabled person, knowing how difficult it is to find open cabins, I get very angry when someone just goes and books an accessible cabin because they want to. It's selfish, to say the least.

We just booked a handicapped cabin, 6013, on the Constellation for a five-day western Caribbean trip. I chose it over non-handicapped rooms because I read that deck 6 is particularly quiet and the cabin is mid-ship, near but not next to the elevators.

Now I'm worried because A) I understand our cabin could be changed at any time before we sail because we're not handicapped (and of course I don't want to take away a cabin from someone who does have disabilities), and B) I'm afraid the room will be odd and filled with lots of rails and other paraphernalia for disabled people.

Has anyone had experiences they can share about handicapped rooms? Should we request a change now?

Thanks. I'm afraid I made a bad decision in the middle-of-the-night excitement of booking the cruise.

Are you sure of that cabin number? according to Celebrity website there is no 6013. The handicapped rooms are 6004, 6005, 6012, 6014

http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/ships/detail.do?shipCode=CS#deck_plans/explore/ships/deckPlans.do%3FshipCode=CS

for information regarding cabin reviews, deckplangenius.com

this is the review for 6012

http://deckplangenius.com/cabin.aspx?stateroom=94146

As per Lsimone, we also had a guarantee Sky Suite and were given a handicapped cabin- next to the elevator and under the pool deck on the Summit. Much to our surprise the cabin was fine. It actually had a great location, and was very quiet. We didn't hear the elevator nor people on the pool deck. I do agree that the closet was not as large and the "regular" sky suites- but more then adequate for a 7 day sailing. The bathroom was huge- but wasn't fancy like the other sky suites- It had a very large shower, without an edge, so water would go over into other areas in the bathroom. However we had a great butler and paid a very reasonable fee for the last minute upgrade. We would do it again for the right price. It was much nicer then a regular concierge class cabin.

I have read that although a cruiseline says they'll ask for a cabin back if a disabled person needs it, it rarely happens.

Anyway, for me, I would hate that shower situation. And I feel it would be bad karma to ask for a handicapped room just for its size or location.

My first cruise, I inadvertently booked a handicap accessible cabin. I was a newbie so I had NO idea. 2 weeks before the cruise I get a call to inform me I was moved to a different cabin because someone who was handicapped needed it. At first I was confused, but then it was explained to me about the cabin I had booked. I didn't grouse because that's fair that someone who needs its gets it. And the cabin we ended up with was the same, just not designed for those with handicaps.

To the OP, if you're that concerned, call Celebrity and explain the situation. Why put yourself through "torture" of "what if?" until December.

I certainly hope no disabled people booked non disabled cabins. I would be extremely offended if a disabled person was occupying a cabin clearly intended for an abled bodied person and there fore taking it out of inventory leaving me to search for a cabin that may be unsuitable for my abled bodied needs!!!!

:eek:

Good grief. I didn't mean to offend anyone by my question or by my booking the only decent cabin that was available at the rate offered. As I have explained, I was assured by the travel agent that I would be contacted if a disabled person needs the cabin, and I believed that to be true. My father spent years in a wheelchair, and I do remember how difficult it often was to find a disabled parking space or other accommodations. I would NEVER do anything to keep disabled people from going where they want to go.

That said, I have decided to pay a good bit more per person and upgrade to a higher category to get a regular room. I am sorry if I crossed a line that I did not mean to cross.

To those of you who posted to be helpful and not to jump all over me: Thanks.

I certainly hope no disabled people booked non disabled cabins. I would be extremely offended if a disabled person was occupying a cabin clearly intended for an abled bodied person and there fore taking it out of inventory leaving me to search for a cabin that may be unsuitable for my abled bodied needs!!!!

:eek:

If this was intended to be ironic and funny, it wasn't.

I'm sorry Bess, but booking an accessible cabin because you "think it will be quieter" is just not right------UNLESS your cruise is close to sailing. If you booked this cabin and it's not past final payment date, someone who doesn't need an accessible cabin shouldn't book one just because you want it quiet and on deck 6. I cannot tell you how many cruises I've not been able to take because all the accessible cabins are booked, sometimes way in advance and at times booked by those who don't need them.

Those of you who aren't disabled need to understand something. For instance on Equinox, there are ONLY 30 accessible cabins !!!!! A measly 30 out of probably more than 1200. Able bodied persons have choices in every cabin category while we disabled can choose from just a few categories.

And BTW, Bess, if you booked this cabin earlier than final payment date, you will be sent a form that you must sign, asking why you need the accessible cabin. It's a rather new law that cruise ships can ask why you need the accessible cabin. It cannot, by law, ask what your disability is, but they can ask the reasons why you need the cabin such as having a wheelchair, scooter, walker or some other mobility device.

Algebralovr, Celebrity doesn't stop people from booking accessible cabins, but they do ask why the cabin is needed and if someone wants to "fudge" on that form, they can. And, unfortunately I know a number of travel agents who will book their clients into accessible cabins just because they're bigger, and not because of need. We disabled don't expect cabins to go empty, that would be insane, but we don't expect people who don't need these cabins to be allowed to book them early on. Like I said, if Bess booked this cabin and it's late in the booking process, like after final payment date, then that's fine. But if her cruise is far off, booking an accessible cabin with no need is not right.

This is very interesting. We booked one of these cabins based simply on location. We didn't even know it was a handicapped cabin when we ooked it. No where in our cruise application did we indicate a need for a handicapped cabin. This was arranged through our agent and I guess was in his inventory. Our cruise isn't till September and we have not been asked to state why we need this cabin. We indicated to our agent that we would give up the cabin to anyone genuinely requiring such a cabin but thus far have not heard anything.

Good grief. I didn't mean to offend anyone by my question or by my booking the only decent cabin that was available at the rate offered. As I have explained, I was assured by the travel agent that I would be contacted if a disabled person needs the cabin, and I believed that to be true. My father spent years in a wheelchair, and I do remember how difficult it often was to find a disabled parking space or other accommodations. I would NEVER do anything to keep disabled people from going where they want to go.

That said, I have decided to pay a good bit more per person and upgrade to a higher category to get a regular room. I am sorry if I crossed a line that I did not mean to cross.

To those of you who posted to be helpful and not to jump all over me: Thanks.

Don't sweat it; anonymous Internet message boards tend to bring out those that are easily offended.

Clearly, based on Kevin T Brown post, Celebrity will bump the non-disabled out the room if the accessible room is needed.

If I were you I would change the cabin now. Two reasons maybe someone needs it but when they see its not available they dont know they can ask for it and then they are stuck in a regular room. Secondly if they move you, you might end up in a worse cabin and not be happy where Celebrity put you. I would rather be able to select the cabin I want now rather than taking as I would call it leftovers.

I am a handicapped traveler and I can tell you there is nothing worse when you are looking for a cruise and there are no handicapped rooms available.

I do applaud you for asking on this board on how to handle this man.

Norma

Thank you, Bess, for deciding to change your cabin. It shows that you are nice and considerate.

Unfortunately, some travel agents still persist in wrongly advising their clients and in suggesting that they book handicap-accessible cabins for their larger size or preferred locations.

While some cruise lines do say that they will move able-bodied people out of handicap-accessible cabins, if a person with a genuine need wants that cabin, this rarely happens.

As others have said, once final payment date is past, all cabins are opened up and anyone can book them - and that is OK.

It seems to me that the anger is being misdirected at the OP when it should actually be at the Travel Agent. Like many people the OP appears to be taking the direction of someone who is supposed to know the business.

I'm assuming you did book with a Travel Agent and not directly with Celebrity?

Booked cabin 7212 on the Constellation for the March 9 five day Caribbean trip. Went through a TA and less than one month out. I am not disabled but after breast cancer surgery last year the larger shower with the flexible shower head would be nice. I am not disabled but I feel like if it will make me more comfortable and I booked after the full payment date ( I know this because I had to pay in full when I booked) then I will give it a try. Would I move if someone in a chair needed the cabin? In a heart beat. Some day when I am in that situation I will understand that if I don't make a booking before a month out then someone else will take the cabin and I have to choose another date.

I checked to make sure I wasn't taking the last accessible cabin but I am grateful to have it and will enjoy the equipment that might annoy someone else!

Archived