Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

If volume be the criteria, play on. Let's weigh each and every passenger and charge him or her according to a volume charge. There can be many ways to improve return on investment, how about Trivia, attendance @ $10. per person. How about washroom, @$1.00 per entry, how about Pizza at $5.00 per slice how about TV movies PPV at say $5. each how about mechanical wheelchairs, any suggestions? Why is it that the cruise industry thinks that those who will pay $499. for a cruise will not pay $625 for the same thing improved? Management has depleted the menus, the entertainment, and the ports of call and cannot yet find enough savings to satisfy them. Well my friends, you are going in the wrong direction. You should be improving service, food, and entertainment in order for us to say, yes, it is worth the extra price to cruise.

Are you happy that you got that out?

Princess has made this decision and are aware of the fall out.

Everyone who cruises knows that every bottle on a ship is recycled / crushed so it would be easy for Princess to count empties or gross weight of waste glass to calculate lost sales to boarded bottles of wine and liquor.

You may smuggle it on but who bothers to take the empty off the ship to discard?

The system has been abused and the abusers have bragged of it.

All those people drinking in their rooms take away from the vitality and life of the ship.

Instead of drinking a bottle of wine in your room go to the bar and have glass and enjoy the ambiance of the ship you are sailing on. It is the healthier and smarter choice.

Your comment about folks drinking in their room is insulting. We don't go on a cruise to socialize or entertain others. We prefer to enjoy a drink on our balcony or over dinner. We never buy drinks in bars. We can enjoy the ambiance of the ship without sitting in bars. If that is something you enjoy more power to you. It is not for us.

If volume be the criteria, play on. Let's weigh each and every passenger and charge him or her according to a volume charge. There can be many ways to improve return on investment, how about Trivia, attendance @ $10. per person. How about washroom, @$1.00 per entry, how about Pizza at $5.00 per slice how about TV movies PPV at say $5. each how about mechanical wheelchairs, any suggestions? Why is it that the cruise industry thinks that those who will pay $499. for a cruise will not pay $625 for the same thing improved? Management has depleted the menus, the entertainment, and the ports of call and cannot yet find enough savings to satisfy them. Well my friends, you are going in the wrong direction. You should be improving service, food, and entertainment in order for us to say, yes, it is worth the extra price to cruise.

You are totally missing the point of this whole thread. The OP brought a magnum bottle of Champagne on board and it was a violation of the cruise policy that HE signed. Next time bring a bottle that complies with Princess policy which is clearly stated as 750 ML. If you don't like the policies then don't cruise with Princess. It's really simple, read the contract and decide if you want to travel with that cruise line.

That's a pretty stiff indictment of the overall product given that the ONLY change in the policy and/or its enforcement is to charge $15 per bottle of wine above the one-per-person that is and has been allowed. Remember that other comparable lines (NCL, RCCL, X) do not allow multiple bottles at any price and some of those don't allow any wine. Princess's new policy and its enforcement are not Draconian measures when viewed in perspective. Let's remember that there has been NO change in the policy as it relates to hard liquor. That has NEVER been permitted. It is hard to get worked up about the enforcement of a long-standing policy. Change? Sure. We can moan about that. But what is happening now is not a change, at least as far as liquor is concerned.

you are totally missing the point of this whole thread. The op brought a magnum bottle of champagne on board and it was a violation of the cruise policy that he signed. Next time bring a bottle that complies with princess policy which is clearly stated as 750 ml. If you don't like the policies then don't cruise with princess. It's really simple, read the contract and decide if you want to travel with that cruise line.

princess cruise lines....take it or leave it

I love reading comments from a cc members who have no idea of whats gone on. Please read my post it was quite detailed. My main complaint was his attitude. It was the smirking, almost a laugh, i have sailed Princess 17 times and never ever recieved this smarmy ass attitude from anyone anywhere.

I don't understand your post, as I'm agreeing with you,

and you say I have no idea what's gone on.

Glad I didn't disagree with you...

If volume be the criteria, play on. Let's weigh each and every passenger and charge him or her according to a volume charge. There can be many ways to improve return on investment, how about Trivia, attendance @ $10. per person. How about washroom, @$1.00 per entry, how about Pizza at $5.00 per slice how about TV movies PPV at say $5.

I think you should have waited a few hours, and actually

posted this in April 1st.

The OP brought a magnum bottle of Champagne on board and it was a violation of the cruise policy that HE signed. Next time bring a bottle that complies with Princess policy which is clearly stated as 750 ML.

I missed the post where the OP said the destroyed bottle was more than 750ml. Can you point me to it?

That's a pretty stiff indictment of the overall product given that the ONLY change in the policy and/or its enforcement is to charge $15 per bottle of wine above the one-per-person that is and has been allowed. Remember that other comparable lines (NCL, RCCL, X) do not allow multiple bottles at any price and some of those don't allow any wine. Princess's new policy and its enforcement are not Draconian measures when viewed in perspective. Let's remember that there has been NO change in the policy as it relates to hard liquor. That has NEVER been permitted. It is hard to get worked up about the enforcement of a long-standing policy. Change? Sure. We can moan about that. But what is happening now is not a change, at least as far as liquor is concerned.

A little correction in your statement about NCL. They allow you to take as many bottles of wine onboard as you want, but they charge a CORKAGE FEE OF 15 DOLLARS FOR EACH BOTTLE REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU DRINK IT.

We want to carry on 2 bottles of Canadian Club because it is so much cheaper than in Canada to be held until disembarkation when we board in Fort Lauderdale on April 26th TA, will they throw it out?

Ontario Cruiser

If you already purchased the bottles prior to the cruise all you can do is take them out of your carry-on baggage when you check in and ask nicely if they can hold them for you and return them to you at the end of the cruise. If you are up front and clearly not trying to smuggle them onboard they SHOULD accomodate you and provide you with this customer service. To act otherwise would be a customer service blunder more costly than the revenue from two bottles of Canadian Club. (By the way, if you buy alcohol during the cruise, while in port or at the onboard duty free shop, they store it for you so why not in your situation?)

If you already purchased the bottles prior to the cruise all you can do is take them out of your carry-on baggage when you check in and ask nicely if they can hold them for you and return them to you at the end of the cruise. If you are up front and clearly not trying to smuggle them onboard they SHOULD accomodate you and provide you with this customer service. To act otherwise would be a customer service blunder more costly than the revenue from two bottles of Canadian Club. (By the way, if you buy alcohol during the cruise, while in port or at the onboard duty free shop, they store it for you so why not in your situation?)

I was thinking much along these same lines.

Yes, Princess wants to increase revenue, but not at the cost of losing customers. How hard can storing liquor be, compared to finding loyal customers.

It will require a fine balancing act and ALL personnel will have to be trained to avoid alienating passengers during their implementation and enforcement procedures.

In that they failed big time in this instance. Heck their behavior even upset me and I wasn't even on the ship. ;)

That's what we are doing. Thanks Ontario Cruiser formerly from Toronto

We are going on a cruise at the end of April and I plan to bring several bottles of wine with me. If they charge me the $15 corkage, that is fine with me as then I can bring the bottle to the dining room and it will still be cheaper than the exact bottle purchased in the dining room. If Princess were smart, they would reduce the price of the bottles so people would just purchase their bottles through Princess. Although, I guess the $15 corkage is about what they pay for the wine wholesale, but if they charged a good price for the wine, they would make more of a profit.

Has anybody seen how this new enforcement will work for those doing B2b or multisegment cruises?

The rules would seem to imply that you can only bring on 1 free bottle for the entire cruise unless you get off between segments and bring on 1 bottle again like anyone else embarking at that point.

Has anybody seen how this new enforcement will work for those doing B2b or multisegment cruises?

The rules would seem to imply that you can only bring on 1 free bottle for the entire cruise unless you get off between segments and bring on 1 bottle again like anyone else embarking at that point.

I think this is a little detail that has not been clarified yet

And what of the sales of duty free liquor aboard the ship? Those who will remain on board can purchase duty free liquor and take it with them to their cabins. And should they attempt to stop this, what of those who ask disembarking passengers to purchase bottled liquor on their behalf for their final portion of the b2b? The status quo should have prevailed.

My wife had bought a bottle of Vodka and a big bottle of sparkling type champagne, my brother a large bottle of morgans spiced rum, this was in some fancy type bottle, the vodka and rum where for home, the champagne for on board.*

Down on deck 4 about 20 people stood in line in front of us, we handed in the yellow card, our case was placed on a table and we were asked if there was any alcohol inside, we aswered yes, opened the case and asked to remove it. At no point did they search the case, we handed over 2 botlles from our case and my brother handed over his one.*

Our alcohol was put in a big grey bin, all of it, other wines where getting tagged and put on a trolley i guess you will get them back at they end, but none of ours.

The others had bottles that conformed with the Princess policy, that's why they will get theirs back after they pay the corkage for more then the allotted one per person. It's easy to understand but hard for many to accept.

Question... As an elite you get 8 mini bottles of alcohol. If in a suite you receive another 8... Lets say you drink half and take half home. Can you bring them back to drink on your next cruise? They were a gift from Princess in the first place. :D

Question... As an elite you get 8 mini bottles of alcohol. If in a suite you receive another 8... Lets say you drink half and take half home. Can you bring them back to drink on your next cruise? They were a gift from Princess in the first place. :D

Maybe you could get them to stamp that little seawitch logo on the tiny bottles and you'd be good to go.

You miss the point altogether. If they need better return charge for Pizza, charge for something but do not deny an individual his personal tastes that cannot be supplied aboard. My personal expenditures has nothing to do with this. Let me rephrase that; when CCL high for the day is $19.50 share I think it may have something to do with this. And Celebrity? I was speaking of going UP...

Just about every post on this thread is at least partly correct. Those who say that Princess is just following their stated rules are correct. They are only looking out for their bottom line and nobody is forcing us to sail. It would be better if they had not turned their heads the other way for so long. That kind of sets the precedent that the rule will be ignored. (It sort of reminds me of the movie, "Christmas Vacation" where Clark Griswald spends his Christmas bonus before it is received because he always got one.)

I do think the idea of taking it out on the crew by withholding tips is a bad idea. It could, ultimately, drive the cost of cruising up for us all.

Archived