Vanilla in Mexico

puppet531

Taking my very first cruise in December and friends and family all want me to pick them up vanilla from Mexico? What is so special with their vanilla? Anyone know the best place to purchase it and about how much it costs? Hoping to not have to go to far off port. Thank you for your help. :)

Sorry but you can find just as good if not better "real vanilla" at Costco (Kirkland brand)..Buying vanilla in Mexico is a gamble and can end up being a waste of $'s and having no flavor..

I have always bought vanilla in Los Cincos Soles in Cozumel. My friend got it for me last time, it was around $15 for the liter bottle (trust me it lasts, even with all the baking I do)

We have purchased vanilla in the stores right at the pier in Cozumel. I'm sorry I forgot which ones. We have always been happy! DD just brought back from one of the islands her cruise called on. Her BF brought it back for his sisters. We're all enjoying baking!

another vote for Los Cinco Soles. I bought a 500ml bottle a year ago and still have 1/4 bottle, and I do alot of baking. It is very good tasting. That said you do have to be careful. Some vanilla in Mexico contains coumarin and is not made from vanilla beans but a substitute and alcohol.

Sorry but you can find just as good if not better "real vanilla" at Costco (Kirkland brand)..Buying vanilla in Mexico is a gamble and can end up being a waste of $'s and having no flavor..

how much does your real vanilla cost compared with pure vanilla sold in Mexico or other Caribbean Islands?

I bought some years ago when I went on a mission trip to Honduras. Used it a couple of times and tossed it. Sure didn't taste like "real" vanilla to me. I did some online research and I am certain it was not "real". Genuine mexican vanilla is not dark colored. "Real" vanilla from mexico is not cheap.

Found this: (snip) <<< Q: A friend just came back from Mexico with a pint of Mexican vanilla. She raved about the flavoring and split the bottle with me but I'm hesitant to use the extract. Isn't it banned in the US for health reasons, specifically a toxic component? Is it better suited for certain dishes than others?

Editor: Not all Mexican vanilla has been banned in the United States. But the FDA has indeed warned travelers about some vanilla extracts that have been diluted with non-vanilla components, particularly coumarin, which comes from tonka beans. The extracts of these beans have a strong vanillin smell, but no flavor. The extract has some potential health effects, too. You can read the detailed explanation at the FDA's website:

• Some "Vanilla Extract" Produced in Mexico is No Bargain

We would check the label and see if vanilla beans are listed at all. Some extracts from Mexico are excellent, and if you can get more information, then it may be safe and very good indeed.

Yea Mexican vanilla can cause liver damage (but were talking you'd have to drink bottles of the stuff) The big problem with it though is theres no regulations to it and most of the vanilla tourists get isn't vanilla at all...telltale signs: its not very alcoholic and DARK molasses colored brown (I'm talking stain your clothes dark). And in no way should it be cheap (aka- not a pint like she got!) since vanilla production in Mexico has tapered off to what it is, true Mexican vanilla is incredibly rare so its pricey (It can be more there than good Tahitian or Madagascar vanilla) so the big bottles of stuff for tourists is far from vanilla.

Real vanilla is amber colored and very alcoholic to seep the vanilla out of the beans. Vanilla used to be heavily produced in Mexico but not even close anymore (hence the rarity) I have some knock off Mexican vanilla and will toss a glug in some pancake batter but if I'm baking, the real stuff is coming out.>>> End quote I found online.

If you really want good vanilla go to Williams-Sonoma and buy the Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla, a tad pricey but good. I have purchased the stuff Cinco Soles sells, while it smells great, to me it imparts a taste I just don't care for. YMMV

On our last cruise, I purchased Los Cinco Soles Vanilla Extract in Cozumel. A couple of things I have learned:

> Avoid extract that contains Coumarin

> True extract is suppose to contain 35% alcohol

As a previous poster mentioned, the extract at Costco is great - I prefer it to what I purchased in Cozumel (which was 8%). I was unaware of the requirements prior to sailing.

I found the following on vanilla.com:

So-Called Vanilla From Mexico, Central American and the Caribbean

A common misconception exists about vanilla from Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. People rave to me about the fabulous deal they got on a giant bottle of vanilla extract in Mexico, Haiti, Guadeloupe, etc. It has such a unique flavor and it’s stronger than any vanilla they’ve ever used. And wow, was it inexpensive!

Well, sorry folks, it isn’t vanilla extract. In fact, the cheap, dark (or clear) product in the big bottle is not vanilla at all. It is imitation vanilla with unknown ingredients!

Because vanilla originally came from Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean, and because, at one time Mexico produced the world’s finest vanilla, it would seem plausible that it would still be true. In fact, more than 99% of all of the so-called vanilla extract bought in retail venues in Latin America is imitation vanilla.

Why? Several reasons. Read on:

Mexico had the monopoly on vanilla production until the latter part of the 19th century and the vanilla-growing region on the Gulf of Mexico was very prosperous. In the latter 1800s, the French invested heavily in vanilla plantations in Reunion, the Comoro Islands, and later, Madagascar, and by the early 20th century these regions gained control of the world vanilla market.

In the early 20th century, the Mexican Revolution raged throughout the country, and for a while, was especially fierce on the Gulf Coast of Mexico. Then the petroleum companies on the Gulf stripped the natural forests, making vanilla growing very difficult. Mexico’s share of the world’s vanilla supply took a nosedive, but its reputation remained intact for several decades.

In the 1880s the first synthetic vanillas came from Germany, providing a cheaper alternative to natural vanilla. Soon it was discovered that synthetic vanillin could be made from paper pulp and coal tar. Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean began selling cheap synthetic vanillas hoping to cash in on Mexico’s vanilla connection. It worked.

By adding coumarin to synthetic vanillin, the flavor was a little more like pure vanilla. Coumarin can be toxic, especially to the liver. We’ve outlawed its use in the United States since the 1950s. While most labels say, “No Coumarin,” don’t count on it!

Although there are label laws in Mexico they aren’t enforced; in some of the other countries there are no restrictions. So, don’t believe that the label gives you an accurate account of the ingredients. Needless to say, synthetic vanillas are a big industry as most tourists have no idea they are being duped and it’s an easy product to sell.

Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean are poor countries. Most Mexicans buy imitation vanilla too. If they can make a buck selling you cheap stuff that’s not what it says, they’re going to.

Clear vanilla is pure, synthetic vanillin. It’s often called “crystal vanilla.” You can buy it in the US for about the same price.

Dark and murky is synthetic vanillin, most likely ethyl vanillin derived from coal tar. It may also be dark because it contains red dye that we’ve banned in the U.S. or it may contain caramel coloring.

Why does it smell so good? It has no alcohol in it (or possibly 2% as a stabilizer). It may have a concentration of vanillin, which makes it smell intensely like vanilla. This is because both natural and imitation vanillin are an important part of the vanilla bouquet. Imitation vanillin is only one fragrance. Pure vanilla has over 500 organic components that make up its fragrance.

There are some vanilla-vanillin blends and some cheap-quality vanillas that have 25% alcohol, but they aren’t worth buying either.

How much did you pay for it? This is the biggest tip-off. If it’s in a big bottle and you paid $20.00 or less, it’s not vanilla extract. Pure vanilla extract usually costs more in Mexico than here.

Don’t waste your money or endanger your health. If you want synthetic, buy it here. It’s the same price as you’d pay in Mexico but American synthetics aren’t adulterated with dangerous additives. If you want pure Mexican vanilla extract, buy it here from a reputable dealer.

So - good for doing your research ahead of time. If I had it to do over again, I would have saved the $9.00 and the weight in my luggage.

The best vanilla beans come from Madagascar. Find a spice/gourmet food store near your home, and buy either their vanilla or your own vanilla beans. There are recipes online for making your own.

My grandfather's business was making flavorings for industry. Nothing will ever come close to his vanilla.

By the way, I have his recipes around here some place. If anyone REALLY wants, I will look for them and post the vanilla recipe.

The best vanilla beans come from Madagascar. Find a spice/gourmet food store near your home, and buy either their vanilla or your own vanilla beans. There are recipes online for making your own.

My grandfather's business was making flavorings for industry. Nothing will ever come close to his vanilla.

By the way, I have his recipes around here some place. If anyone REALLY wants, I will look for them and post the vanilla recipe.

If you can find it, I'd love to get the recipe! I'm almost out of vanilla and was thinking of making some and it would be nice to have a recipe to go by that is already known to be good.

DW and I argue about this every time we go to Cozumel.

She's the shopper, and thinks that Mexican vanilla is great and a big bargain.

However, I'm the cook, and I find the Mexican stuff to be mostly water-based and without much flavor. I much prefer the regular alcohol extraction of vanilla like you buy in your local supermarket.

If you really want good vanilla go to Williams-Sonoma and buy the Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla, a tad pricey but good. I have purchased the stuff Cinco Soles sells, while it smells great, to me it imparts a taste I just don't care for. YMMV

:) That's my favorite too!

LuLu

~~~~

If you can find it, I'd love to get the recipe! I'm almost out of vanilla and was thinking of making some and it would be nice to have a recipe to go by that is already known to be good.

alexis, I'll give it a shot. I just moved, and that is still in a box somewhere. :)

I bought some Vanilla beans...I think a package of three.

Got home, bought a pint of Vodka at the local place here.

Toss 'em in...and wait a few months....well we couldn't wait....

sure was good, what there was of it.

:D

Definitely the best all purpose beans, but I do like the rich, almost spicy Mexican beans and the floral, fruity Tahiti beans as well.

Absolutely always buy from a specialty shop and never at the grocery store. The difference between the two is astonishing.

I don't use extract, but do make vanilla sugar (a couple of chunks of bean last a long time) and also buy powdered vanilla. I know that homemade extract can be fantastic. I think it's clear liquor such as vodka (and maybe rum?) that is used and the bean(s) are steeped for at least several weeks, if not months. But I know some who rave about it and will never buy commercial extract again.

I would not buy vanilla extract in Mexico. It's not worth the fuss or risk, IMO.

beachchick

Merion Mom--I'd love to have a copy of that recipe also. I have a couple vanilla beans I'd love to turn into extract. A good vanilla is hard to find here. Thanks for looking for us.

NCMtnGal

Wow. this is awesome. Thank you all for the education in Vanilla!! Im off to my kitchen to check what my daughter brought back. Boy oh boy, we (DD & me) have a lot of baking- comparisons to do now. Im thinking making your own would be awesome! Also have to see what is available at Sam's club, I dont have a local costco.

MerionMom, I want the recipe too!! :):D

Archived