Not So Courteous Hold

We are new to Royal, but learned a valuable lesson today ... After searching for a specific cabin yesterday for a 2014 cruise, I found the one I wanted on a week that works for us ... Thrilled that I'd scored just the right selection I put a Courtesy Hold on the reservation until I could double check with the DW ... She agreed and we were all set.

However, this AM I went to fill out the reservation, with still 3hrs remaining on the Courtesy Hold, and the website said that my selected cabin was not available.

Apparently the Courtesy Hold doesn't hold the cabin exclusively for you ... :(

This hasn't been my experience. When I have done this in the past it was exactly like making a reservation, they just essentially make a reservation for you and allow you extra time to make your deposit before they cancel the reservation.

Did you get a reservation number when you placed the hold?

We are new to Royal, but learned a valuable lesson today ... After searching for a specific cabin yesterday for a 2014 cruise, I found the one I wanted on a week that works for us ... Thrilled that I'd scored just the right selection I put a Courtesy Hold on the reservation until I could double check with the DW ... She agreed and we were all set.

However, this AM I went to fill out the reservation, with still 3hrs remaining on the Courtesy Hold, and the website said that my selected cabin was not available.

Apparently the Courtesy Hold doesn't hold the cabin exclusively for you ... :(

Maybe it was not available because it was still being held for you. Maybe:(

It always has been held by them under a reservation number for us. In fact when we've allowed them to expire we usually get a call - or email - from RCI following up to notify of its expiration and to offer assistance with another booking. As previously mentioned by others it may be that it was unavailable as it was on hold for you. I would call RCI and check with them directly.

That is correct. Even an agent cannot get into your hold if you are in it on the website. And if you went into the booking engine again, it would show the cabin as unavailable because of your hold.

They should have sent you a warning email telling you to call to finalize your hold to a booking.

I have booked all of my cruises by first placing a courtesy hold and then using the link in the email generated and logging in and making payment within 24 hours. *they actually seem to stay active just a little longer.

When the website requested full deposit on a WOW sale I had to call and pay the correct reduced deposit.

When I have let a courtesy hold actually expire I have always received the following email :

The courtesy hold on your Royal Caribbean International reservation has expired. Visit RoyalCaribbean.com to learn more about our ships, the destinations we visit and our incredible cruise vacations.

If you prefer to speak with one of our Certified Vacation Planners, call us at 1-866-562-7625 (United States and Canada). For our international contact information, please visit us at www.RoyalCaribbean.com/contactus.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

OP here & thanks all ... I was logged into my reservation & completing the preferences, dining, names, etc. when the website told me my selected cabin was not available ... After that I cancelled the hold and tried again (creating a new reservation) ... Same results - cabin not available ...

Perhaps I should have called Royal before cancelling my reservation.

Oh well just thought I'd share so others could be aware ... assuming I did everything correctly ... And again thanks to all for suggesting solutions ... :)

OP here & thanks all ... I was logged into my reservation & completing the preferences, dining, names, etc. when the website told me my selected cabin was not available ... After that I cancelled the hold and tried again (creating a new reservation) ... Same results - cabin not available ...

Perhaps I should have called Royal before cancelling my reservation.

Oh well just thought I'd share so others could be aware ... assuming I did everything correctly ... And again thanks to all for suggesting solutions ... :)

I would call now to see what they can do to assist with a new reservation. They have access to all rooms available that may not appear on line. Good luck.

When cabins are released they do not immediately become available for anyone. Someone may have an idea of the exact amount of time before they show up, but, I would assume maybe 15 mins to a half hour. Not exactly what you might expect from a computer system.

I am not sure if the Royal agents can see them when they are in "limbo."

OP back with a happy ending ... Logged back into the Royal website & built a new cruise ... Desired cabin was available & I didn't delay and put down a deposit ... 380 days to go!!!

Hooray for happy endings! :)

Hop you have a great cruise.

OP back with a happy ending ... Logged back into the Royal website & built a new cruise ... Desired cabin was available & I didn't delay and put down a deposit ... 380 days to go!!!

YAAAAY YOU!!! Great outcome, and happy cruising.

Congrats. Happy cruising.:D

Glad you got the cruise.

We had a Panama Canal cruise slip through our fingers, because we had all the NCCs listed with our TA, and the TA was busy with people "at her desk" that day, and didn't get back to us soon enough. I called C&A but they couldn't use our NCCs because the TA had them. In the past, when I've placed a courtesy hold, the TA gets RCI on the phone and asks me to release the booking so she can grab it.

Next cruise, we're getting some NCCs listed with RCI and not the TA.

Glad you got the cruise.

We had a Panama Canal cruise slip through our fingers, because we had all the NCCs listed with our TA, and the TA was busy with people "at her desk" that day, and didn't get back to us soon enough. I called C&A but they couldn't use our NCCs because the TA had them. In the past, when I've placed a courtesy hold, the TA gets RCI on the phone and asks me to release the booking so she can grab it.

Next cruise, we're getting some NCCs listed with RCI and not the TA.

I'm curious as to why you get NCCs listed with a TA. Suppose you decided that you wanted to change your TA. Does the former TA have to agree to release the certificate? I'm not sure that I would want a TA having that kind of control.

When cabins are released they do not immediately become available for anyone. Someone may have an idea of the exact amount of time before they show up, but, I would assume maybe 15 mins to a half hour. Not exactly what you might expect from a computer system.

I am not sure if the Royal agents can see them when they are in "limbo."

In my experience the cabins that are cancelled do become immediately available. I use this strategy when I see a cabin that I want to switch to. I hold the cabin, then I call up my TA, tell them I am releasing the cabin ... NOW! And then they immediately grab it.

I have booked all of my cruises by first placing a courtesy hold and then using the link in the email generated and logging in and making payment within 24 hours. *they actually seem to stay active just a little longer.

When the website requested full deposit on a WOW sale I had to call and pay the correct reduced deposit.

When I have let a courtesy hold actually expire I have always received the following email :

The courtesy hold on your Royal Caribbean International reservation has expired. Visit RoyalCaribbean.com to learn more about our ships, the destinations we visit and our incredible cruise vacations.

If you prefer to speak with one of our Certified Vacation Planners, call us at 1-866-562-7625 (United States and Canada). For our international contact information, please visit us at www.RoyalCaribbean.com/contactus.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

I was hoping you could clarify your reference to the WOW sale because we booked during the last one. I phoned for some information the day before and she told me I couldn't do a courtesy hold and then get the OBC that comes with the sale. She said the perks come from the deal on the day of the hold. She also said that even if I put a hold, let it expire and then try to book the cabin the system would recognize me and not allow me to get the WOW sale. So was she lying to keep availability open going into the sale or am I misunderstanding your comment?

Thanks.

Archived