Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

[quote name='Jacs']I guess it depends on if you look at the scheme as welfare or a workplace entitlement. I see it as the latter so have no issue with it being based on current earning. Ideally it should be funded by workplaces just like sick leave and holiday pay, but then you're opening up to major discrimination against hiring women of child baring age as a company won't want to have to pay extra. This way it ensures the entitlement is there but businesses don't have to fork out for it themselves.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but it is welfare.

I think I will come back to cc after Saturday - some of these posts should have authorising notes attached. Surely you people have another vehicle for your political views than a cruise website.

Anyway, the $ continues to cycle around the 90c mark.

[quote name='mr walker']I think I will come back to cc after Saturday - some of these posts should have authorising notes attached. Surely you people have another vehicle for your political views than a cruise website.

Anyway, the $ continues to cycle around the 90c mark.[/QUOTE]

Yes, fell again from reaching $0.9101 today.:D

[quote name='mr walker']I think I will come back to cc after Saturday - some of these posts should have authorising notes attached. Surely you people have another vehicle for your political views than a cruise website.

Anyway, the $ continues to cycle around the 90c mark.[/QUOTE]

I thought the title said economic direction. Some of what you are calling political views are actually facts.

Without getting political, I am surprised just how greedy, as a Nation, we are becoming.

When I had my children, I was just grateful to receive leave without pay. I saved, in advance, and I contributed to my own superannuation to cover my absence.

In the end, we all pay for this greed, which effects our economy.

[quote name='MicCanberra']Yes, fell again from reaching $0.9101 today.:D[/quote]

I only read this thread for fun. If I want to see how the AUD is fairing against the USD, I just need to read the thread titles. If there's multiple "Company X is screwing its Australian customers!" threads, then it means the AUD is up and the cruise can be booked SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper on a USD site. If those threads are missing, then it means the AUD is around 90c or less, and the pricing is pretty close (just paid for a cruise, and it MIGHT have been $50 or so cheaper if I paid in USD, used my NextCruise certificate, $100 C&A certificate, plus a $225 obc...even then I might have come out behind due to a last-minute currency fluctuation).

On the new proposal for paid parental leave, I feel the upper limit is too high - $50,000 would be more reasonable than $75,000, but there are two major points that have barely been mentioned.

Public servants have 6 months parental leave paid at their full wage (and then I think half pay for the next 6 months) and this has been the case for around 20 years. Could we say that what is good enough for them is good enough for other workers? If the new proposal becomes a fact, then there will be a saving from the public servants who will receive less money while on parental leave. Another major point is that $75,000 is constantly quoted, but how many women going on parental leave would be earning $150,000 p.a. Not many. Most would be on half that so the cost isn't as high as some people indicate.

On the new scheme, people receiving the parental leave will be paying a proportion as income tax.

The rort I have learned about on this forum is the use of salary sacrifice to pay for living expenses and holidays. This would have a big impact on tax received by the ATO. Edited by Aus Traveller

[quote name='Aus Traveller']On the new proposal for paid parental leave, I feel the upper limit is too high - $50,000 would be more reasonable than $75,000, but there are two major points that have barely been mentioned.

Public servants have 6 months parental leave paid at their full wage (and then I think half pay for the next 6 months) and this has been the case for around 20 years. Could we say that what is good enough for them is good enough for other workers? If the new proposal becomes a fact, then there will be a saving from the public servants who will receive less money while on parental leave. Another major point is that $75,000 is constantly quoted, but how many women going on parental leave would be earning $150,000 p.a. Not many. Most would be on half that so the cost isn't as high as some people indicate.

On the new scheme, people receiving the parental leave will be paying a proportion as income tax.

The rort I have learned about on this forum is the use of salary sacrifice to pay for living expenses and holidays. This would have a big impact on tax received by the ATO.[/QUOTE]

Aren't you just a fount of bigotry and misinformation. First it was refugees now it is public servants. Everyone has the right to complain about the government/politics but they should at least know what they are complaining about.

[quote name='circuitrider']I only read this thread for fun. If I want to see how the AUD is fairing against the USD, I just need to read the thread titles. If there's multiple "Company X is screwing its Australian customers!" threads, then it means the AUD is up and the cruise can be booked SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper on a USD site. If those threads are missing, then it means the AUD is around 90c or less, and the pricing is pretty close (just paid for a cruise, and it MIGHT have been $50 or so cheaper if I paid in USD, used my NextCruise certificate, $100 C&A certificate, plus a $225 obc...even then I might have come out behind due to a last-minute currency fluctuation).[/quote]

Haha - I like your interpretation. :-)

Anyway, the $ continues to cycle around the 90c mark.[/quote]

Correct. Please stick with cruising and avoid political debates. Thanks.

... and your statement directed at me (post # 434). You did apologise, but maybe with the apology now removed your statement should also go.

I apologise for confusing you with the other poster.

You have still posted totally wrong information regarding the PS maternity leave entitlement. Your figures are triple what is actually available. I will apologise if you can name the 2 departments that have this entitlement. Otherwise all of your posts on this thread should go as they are not true.

I apologise for confusing you with the other poster.

You have still posted totally wrong information regarding the PS maternity leave entitlement. Your figures are triple what is actually available. I will apologise if you can name the 2 departments that have this entitlement. Otherwise all of your posts on this thread should go as they are not true.

I think that Walt made the point that the political discussion should not be continued, so I will not do so. I think a lot of us got carried away.

I just asked for your post to also be deleted because you called me a "fount (sp) of bigotry and misinformation." You accused the wrong person, but it was still a very impolite post (and incorrectly spelt).