Received Upsell/Upgrade Offer

calsnoozie

Just wanted to share my first upsell offer experience with everyone. I know there are people (like me) that like to track what the offers are and if there are any patterns or logic when offers are received and who receives them.

Cruise: 7 day Alaska cruise on Coral Princess in mid-June 2013 from Anchorage/Whittier to Vancouver.

Booked mini-suite category (category MD (formerly known as AD).

--Checked meta complimentary upgrade only

--Booked directly with Princess, doing land tour w/Princess before cruise

--Elite Princess Captain Circle status (over 25 cruises w/Princess)

--Typically book mini-suites

--Never received upsell offer before (have received complimentry upgrades)

33 days before cruise date, received the below Upgrade Offer email.

CORAL PRINCESS SAILING.

Cruise 7 nights in a luxurious FULL SUITE WITH BALCONY for only an additional $399 per person! (Offer based on double occupancy, plus the additional cost of Princess Vacation Protection, if purchased).

In your FULL SUITE, you will enjoy a spacious retreat with an array of premium amenities; including one complimentary mini-bar set up and an

exclusive suite breakfast served in Sabatini's each morning.

This offer is ONLY available by calling XXXX

Offer is applicable to past passengers booked in categories MA-ME is subject to cabin availability. Offer expires MAY 24, 2013 AT 4.00PM PST.

Called the # specified in the email. We took the upsell offer, offered Suite category S5 (formerly known as PS).

Sue from Fairfield, CA

How lucky & congratulations! I've heard of more up-sell's recently & maybe one day we'll be as lucky as you.

Maybe you should get some Powerball lottery tickets and see if your luck continues? :D

Astro Flyer - good idea. Going to buy a few Powerball lottery tickets either tonight or tomorrow :D.

Sue from Fairfield, CA

Yes, I would be interested in hearing from others who have received upsales. It seems as though Princess is making these offers more often (compared to a complimentary upgrade). $399/7 = $57/night for Specialty Restaurant, Sabatini's and Chocolate covered strawberries. But then again, the perks are really nice.

We had booked a Cat ME Emerald deck covered balcony mini on our upcoming June 3 Baltic cruise on the Emerald for the three of us (DW, DD and me). About three weeks ago I noticed that 25 of the 30 full suites were unsold. I talked to my TA and it appears that Princess is now more likely to offer an upsell from a mini to a full suite rather than offer an upgrade. I gave him authority to accept an upsell for up to $400/person without contacting me first. Last week he called to tell me that we are now booked in a Cat S-4 Penthouse suite for $300/person. Actually, only the first two passengers were charged for the upsell so the total was $600. The cruise is port intensive, but we should be able to use the Thermal Suite 4-5 days, have breakfast in Sabatini's 7-8 mornings, have embarkation dinner in the Crown Grill, order dinner for the MDR menu in our cabin a few nights and DD, a first time cruiser, will get free laundry. We will also have much more room and a curtain to close off the bed area from the living area for more privacy. IMHO, that is a good deal for us for less than $20/person/day :)

We had booked a Cat ME Emerald deck covered balcony mini on our upcoming June 3 Baltic cruise on the Emerald for the three of us (DW, DD and me). About three weeks ago I noticed that 25 of the 30 full suites were unsold. I talked to my TA and it appears that Princess is now more likely to offer an upsell from a mini to a full suite rather than offer an upgrade. I gave him authority to accept an upsell for up to $400/person without contacting me first. Last week he called to tell me that we are now booked in a Cat S-4 Penthouse suite for $300/person. Actually, only the first two passengers were charged for the upsell so the total was $600. The cruise is port intensive, but we should be able to use the Thermal Suite 4-5 days, have breakfast in Sabatini's 7-8 mornings, have embarkation dinner in the Crown Grill, order dinner for the MDR menu in our cabin a few nights and DD, a first time cruiser, will get free laundry. We will also have much more room and a curtain to close off the bed area from the living area for more privacy. IMHO, that is a good deal for us for less than $20/person/day :)

It pays to do our homework. In this case, for $20/night, that is an excellent deal. I peaked into the Thermal Suites and it looks like a very nice place to relax.

We had booked a Cat ME Emerald deck covered balcony mini on our upcoming June 3 Baltic cruise on the Emerald for the three of us (DW, DD and me). About three weeks ago I noticed that 25 of the 30 full suites were unsold. I talked to my TA and it appears that Princess is now more likely to offer an upsell from a mini to a full suite rather than offer an upgrade. I gave him authority to accept an upsell for up to $400/person without contacting me first. Last week he called to tell me that we are now booked in a Cat S-4 Penthouse suite for $300/person. Actually, only the first two passengers were charged for the upsell so the total was $600. The cruise is port intensive, but we should be able to use the Thermal Suite 4-5 days, have breakfast in Sabatini's 7-8 mornings, have embarkation dinner in the Crown Grill, order dinner for the MDR menu in our cabin a few nights and DD, a first time cruiser, will get free laundry. We will also have much more room and a curtain to close off the bed

area from the living area for more privacy. IMHO, that is a good deal for us for less than $20/person/day :)

IECalCruiser - that is an awesome offer! Congrats

Do those upgrade emails come into your regular email, or are they in the precruise emails that are on your cruise personalizer?

Vanilla - I received an email directly from Princess, no reference about this in the booking cruise personalizer. One interesting thing, typically my husband and I receive email notices about the booking (the standard 30, 60, 90 day welcome emails or any other special notices) but for this offer, it only went to my email address.

Sue from Fairfield, CA

Yes, I would be interested in hearing from others who have received upsales. It seems as though Princess is making these offers more often (compared to a complimentary upgrade). $399/7 = $57/night for Specialty Restaurant, Sabatini's and Chocolate covered strawberries. But then again, the perks are really nice.

We just did a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral (April 20th to May 4th). I had booked the lowest priced outside obstructed; catagory HH. About April 1st I was offered an upsell to a balcony for $199/pp and had 10 days to act on it. I ignored it. Not worth it to us who book balconies on long cruises and for 2 weeks can live very nicely with a window. Four days before departure we were upgraded to a mini. Needless to say this was the biggest bargain ever for what we actually paid for the HH.

Our offers are few and very far between. Hardly ever. And only 4 or 5 upgrades in 67 cruises.

Do those upgrade emails come into your regular email, or are they in the precruise emails that are on your cruise personalizer?
In our case, since we were booked with a TA, the offer was sent to him. Two others on our Roll Call also got the same offer. One took it and one didn't.

Just wanted to share my first upsell offer experience with everyone. I know there are people (like me) that like to track what the offers are and if there are any patterns or logic when offers are received and who receives them.

Cruise: 7 day Alaska cruise on Coral Princess in mid-June 2013 from Anchorage/Whittier to Vancouver.

Booked mini-suite category (category MD (formerly known as AD).

--Checked meta complimentary upgrade only

--Booked directly with Princess, doing land tour w/Princess before cruise

--Elite Princess Captain Circle status (over 25 cruises w/Princess)

--Typically book mini-suites

--Never received upsell offer before (have received complimentry upgrades)

33 days before cruise date, received the below Upgrade Offer email.

CORAL PRINCESS SAILING.

Cruise 7 nights in a luxurious FULL SUITE WITH BALCONY for only an additional $399 per person! (Offer based on double occupancy, plus the additional cost of Princess Vacation Protection, if purchased).

In your FULL SUITE, you will enjoy a spacious retreat with an array of premium amenities; including one complimentary mini-bar set up and an

exclusive suite breakfast served in Sabatini's each morning.

This offer is ONLY available by calling XXXX

Offer is applicable to past passengers booked in categories MA-ME is subject to cabin availability. Offer expires MAY 24, 2013 AT 4.00PM PST.

Called the # specified in the email. We took the upsell offer, offered Suite category S5 (formerly known as PS).

Sue from Fairfield, CA

Sue;

Good choice. I would have done the same thing.....:):):)

Bob

In our case, since we were booked with a TA, the offer was sent to him. Two others on our Roll Call also got the same offer. One took it and one didn't.

I'm the one that didn't :)

My thinking:

Only two of us so plenty of room in a mini

Not big breakfast eaters -- regular room service is fine with us

Mini-bar -- no big deal as DH does not drink alcoholic beverages and no need to trade for a coffee card (if that's available) as we already have one

The other perks would be nice but not anything I would be willing to pay $600 for the two of us for.

I'm the one that didn't :)

My thinking:

Only two of us so plenty of room in a mini

Not big breakfast eaters -- regular room service is fine with us

Mini-bar -- no big deal as DH does not drink alcoholic beverages and no need to trade for a coffee card (if that's available) as we already have one

The other perks would be nice but not anything I would be willing to pay $600 for the two of us for.

For $57 per day (as calculated above), I agree with Alaskanb. For $20 per day, I would take it. But that is largely due to the fact that breakfast on a cruise for us is me going to the IC to pick up pastries; fruit and coffee delivered by room service, and the three of us sitting on our balcony al fresco. Getting showered and dressed to go to Sabatini's isn't much of a draw.

For $57 per day (as calculated above), I agree with Alaskanb. For $20 per day, I would take it. But that is largely due to the fact that breakfast on a cruise for us is me going to the IC to pick up pastries; fruit and coffee delivered by room service, and the three of us sitting on our balcony al fresco. Getting showered and dressed to go to Sabatini's isn't much of a draw.
We did a B2B in a Window Suite in Alaska last year so we had the opportunity to have breakfast in Sabatini's for two weeks. We are not big breakfast people either, but Sabatini's is outstanding :) The head waiter would seat us and give us the "morning paper" (the Patter). After the first day, we didn't need to ask for our mimosa's and Americano's. We would get fresh fruit and berries every day and some of the outstanding french toast (puts the JB's french toast to shame) or a fresh breakfast sandwich (nothing like the "Egg McMuffin" at the IC). The pastries are half the size of those at the HC or IC so we can have one with less guilt :D

That's the same upsell offer we took on our Golden cruise to Alaska...AD mini suite to penthouse suite for $399. I guess suites must not sell too well on the Alaska itineraries. I am so glad we took the offer. It was awesome. The only problem is that it spoils you. Since our week in the penthouse suite, we felt compelled to book a window suite and a vista suite. Now we're back to mini-suites, but the splurge was wonderful...sigh.

Archived