Was the cause of the Grandeur fire revealed?

I'm sorry... I can't seem to find an answer to that question! Even if I google it. Was the cause of the fire ever made public yet? :confused: Maybe they are still investigating??

Nothing officially made public yet.

Right about now I think the only thing we know is there was fuel, oxygen and an overabundance of heat... the good old fire triangle. I too am a wee surprised we have not heard (at least I have not found anything and I have been looking) a word on the cause. I realize that the "official" report could be months if not a year or so away. I would think by now that there would be something out as to what they may have found or investigating without actually saying the "cause of the fire is _______." It could be there is just not enough interest in this story outside of places like Cruise Critic. Even though the fire was handled well by the crew and the episode did not turn into a spamcation, I'm not all that sure RCI is ready to tell us what the know already. Probably better for them to wait as long as possible to release what they know.

I personally think it's in RCCL's best interest to get the story out as quick as possible. It's better to have the story all at once than remind everyone in 2 months that a Royal Caribbean ship burned. I think at this point though they just don't know. They are so on top of the story that I'm sure if they knew a cause they would tweet it right away to ensure no one else could break the story first.

Right about now I think the only thing we know is there was fuel, oxygen and an overabundance of heat... the good old fire triangle. I too am a wee surprised we have not heard (at least I have not found anything and I have been looking) a word on the cause. I realize that the "official" report could be months if not a year or so away. I would think by now that there would be something out as to what they may have found or investigating without actually saying the "cause of the fire is _______." It could be there is just not enough interest in this story outside of places like Cruise Critic. Even though the fire was handled well by the crew and the episode did not turn into a spamcation, I'm not all that sure RCI is ready to tell us what the know already. Probably better for them to wait as long as possible to release what they know.

I believe one of two scenarios is happening:

1. The forensic stage of the fire investigation is not complete, meaning that the areas of the ship damaged have not all been cleared for repair. This would indicate that the cause is not simple and straight forward like finding the broken fuel line on the Triumph.

2. If the forensic stage is complete, then the agencies are looking for the "root cause", i.e. what really failed or what really happened to start the fire. Root cause analysis can be quick or long, depending on the evidence and the factors involved.

If a cause was found, I doubt that the reporters in Freeport would let the USCG investigators have a breath of fresh air without pressing for a press conference.

I personally think it's in RCCL's best interest to get the story out as quick as possible. It's better to have the story all at once than remind everyone in 2 months that a Royal Caribbean ship burned. I think at this point though they just don't know. They are so on top of the story that I'm sure if they knew a cause they would tweet it right away to ensure no one else could break the story first.

For the most part I agree with you on getting the story out as quick as possible. On the other hand there is always the train of thought to let bad news out when no one is looking or at least when the fewest people are watching. They may not yet be able to state with absolute certainty as to the cause, but I would be extremely surprised if they did not already have a good handle on what started it. To my knowledge repairs are under way and that would indicate they are not in an evidence protection mode. While I'm not shouting conspiracy or cover up, just the odds are that something was done incorrectly by the crew or some sort of equipment failure that caused the blaze. At this point I don't think RCI minds one bit that this incident is not in the news at this time.

For the most part I agree with you on getting the story out as quick as possible. On the other hand there is always the train of thought to let bad news out when no one is looking or at least when the fewest people are watching. They may not yet be able to state with absolute certainty as to the cause, but I would be extremely surprised if they did not already have a good handle on what started it. To my knowledge repairs are under way and that would indicate they are not in an evidence protection mode. While I'm not shouting conspiracy or cover up, just the odds are that something was done incorrectly by the crew or some sort of equipment failure that caused the blaze. At this point I don't think RCI minds one bit that this incident is not in the news at this time.

On RCI's part, I think you're quite correct; they are waiting for the next headline grabber somewhere else in the world, and then slip the statement out after the 6 o'clock news.

I don't doubt that repairs are underway. Forensic recovery should not take more than a week, unless there is some very small failure that is troubling them. Clearing of the areas will collapse inward toward the seat of the fire, so that rooms that only have smoke/water damage would be cleared for repair within a day, and as each space is determined not to be the seat of the fire, or the cause, it will be cleared for repair.

Even simple things like finding that a can of paint on the aft mooring deck was the original accelerant would require study of the RCI Safety Management System documentation, to determine if in fact a can was not allowed to be left there, and so on.

While RCI would prefer to release the report on the QT, there is nothing to keep the USCG or NTSB from reporting, whether RCI likes it or not. Given the USCG's quick initial report from the Triumph, the fact that they haven't said anything yet tells me they are still digging (not necessarily physically) for the root cause.

was electrical...Please, do not come here and speculate as to your own personal choice for what caused the fire. Do some reseach. I am waiting for someone to suggest it was a Boy Scout rubbing two sticks together!!!!!

Do a search, preliminary: electrical short caused the fire.

was electrical...Please, do not come here and speculate as to your own personal choice for what caused the fire. Do some reseach. I am waiting for someone to suggest it was a Boy Scout rubbing two sticks together!!!!!

Do a search, preliminary: electrical short caused the fire.

So I guess the dragons theory is a bust then?

Not to speculate, but the fire was in an area filled with ropes, winches, machinery, oily rags etc. Regardless of what caused the fire exactly, it was in a location that was prime for fires, and either a crew member was careless, or a malfunction of a piece of machinery. Doesn't really matter to me the cause, but rather what they will do to train or fix the cause.

have no clue on the cause. I think the post about the cigarette was tongue-in-cheek, as, within hours of the fire, people on cc were speculating on a cigarette being the cause and then calling for a complete ban on smoking, using the fire as justification.

I had never taken any interest in the aft-mooring room until this event. Watched a re-run of 'Cruise Ships' the other night and they showed footage of the Costa Serena's aft-mooring room and how it all works - quite interesting. Maybe on next cruise on Voyager I should ask for a tour of the aft-mooring section - don't worry, I don't smoke :D

Happy cruising.

Not to speculate, but the fire was in an area filled with ropes, winches, machinery, oily rags etc. Regardless of what caused the fire exactly, it was in a location that was prime for fires, and either a crew member was careless, or a malfunction of a piece of machinery. Doesn't really matter to me the cause, but rather what they will do to train or fix the cause.

While I have done my share of speculating about this, on other threads, I do so from a merchant mariner's perspective. What about "winches, machinery" makes the space "prime for fire"? And you know there were oily rags there, how? And that they weren't stored properly? And "ropes" that are very difficult to ignite? How do you know that there is something that needs to be "fixed" or "trained" for?

I had never taken any interest in the aft-mooring room until this event.

Watched a re-run of 'Cruise Ships' the other night

and they showed footage of the Costa Serena's aft-mooring room

and how it all works - quite interesting.

You'll find a few pics of such areas on an interesting photo-pictorial thread I started

named Photos -Behind the Scenes

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=969285

Go have a look. You'll find all sorts of things.

have no clue on the cause. I think the post about the cigarette was tongue-in-cheek, as, within hours of the fire, people on cc were speculating on a cigarette being the cause and then calling for a complete ban on smoking, using the fire as justification.

Yes. That figures. Paranoids who have a vendetta against tobacco. :rolleyes:

Same goes for posters like SPD who have a vendetta against cuddly animals :D

JB :)

I just wish that they soon determine what actually did happen so that all this speculation will end.

It is still pretty early. I will guarantee you that RCI will have someone find out the cause. Not guaranteeing they will make full disclosure, but they will find out. But I wouldn't start saying it's been too long for 45-60 days after the event.

Archived