Administration Fee

hypercafe

But obviously conduct of some who book with intent to cancel is causing FDR to consider a more stringent policy going forward as his post reflects.

Perhaps attempting to read more into FDR's comment might put him off participating in future.

Not sure what you mean by "read more into it? -- seems clear to me

"Appreciate all the support for this policy.

Some have suggested a more meaningful penalty to discourage the "multiple booking but i'll cancel one of them practice" - should the penalty be 10% rather than $100?

FDR"

The folks who do these multiple bookings with intent to cancel (discourage the "multiple booking but i'll cancel one of them practice") are causing him to think about making the penalties for cancellation steeper (should the penalty be 10% rather than $100?).

Straightforward. Not reading anything into it. It says what it says in crystal clear fashion. FDR is never ambiguous. LOL

I'd vote for losing the deposit if you cancel 1 month prior to the final payment penalties kicking in

We have had to cancel prior to FP a couple of times due to illness & last trip was the day before the cruise which was covered by cancellation insurance

Many people only insure for medical so they would not be able to re-coup their loss

I can see how it affect the business if people are holding just in case then have to discount the fare to encourage new bookings on short notice

Lyn

Perhaps like in the UK once you make your booking with a deposit, then you will loose the whole deposit. Not just the admin fee, this does stop people just booking multiple cruises and then cancelling the ones they do not want.

Appreciate all the support for this policy.

Some have suggested a more meaningful penalty to discourage the "multiple booking but i'll cancel one of them practice" - should the penalty be 10% rather than $100?

FDR

As someone who has never done this, in fact never even cancelled a cruise, I think this would be really unfair to people like me and would discourage bookings.

In the UK the penalty for cancelling is loss of deposit, so this situation doesn't generally occur.

If our upcoming Marina Barcelona to Rio cruise had been booked with a different cruise line, we would stand to lose our deposits of approx $1500 dollars and with no hope of a conversion to a FCC.

If the cancellation is due to a valid reason, i.e. not because you just preferred a different cruise, then travel insurance would cover the loss, minus an excess of course.

This sounds terribly harsh--yes, at least with O you can get an FCC, but still. I sure would hate to automaticallly lose any deposit on a cancelled cruise--I'd probably only book at the last minute then (as would most of us I think.)

I'd vote for losing the deposit if you cancel 1 month prior to the final payment penalties kicking in

Respectfully disagree. Unless they extend the final payment period, which of course they could do.

Due to the spread (difference between buy & sell exchange rates) Canadians who do not have US credit card accounts would have always wasted ~$75 to cancel (assuming rates do not change). ...

I don't understand this--the $75 bit--I'm Canadian and always pay with a Canadian CC--what are you talking about?

To Kimanjo,

I agree it's the policy now and that's what it is, however I think the penalty is way to low at this point. "O" lost two of my cruises to another company because I couldn't get the suite I wanted only to have people cancelled much later that opened up that suite---I like to plan ahead and don't really want to be on a wait list just because someone can't make up their mind which cruise they want to go on.

Rick

As someone who has never done this, in fact never even cancelled a cruise, I think this would be really unfair to people like me and would discourage bookings.

This works in the UK, people don't frivolously book cruises that they know they probably won't be taking.

This sounds terribly harsh--yes, at least with O you can get an FCC, but still. I sure would hate to automaticallly lose any deposit on a cancelled cruise--I'd probably only book at the last minute then (as would most of us I think.)

Take out travel insurance which covers cancellations for illness etc. This is what we do. The insurance also covers you for medical expenses, lost/stolen items etc.

I don't understand this--the $75 bit--I'm Canadian and always pay with a Canadian CC--what are you talking about?

I am talking about the cost of buying then selling the US currency. When you make the $1500 deposit you 'purchase' $US. That costs 2-3%. If you cancel and get refund you will be 'selling' $US and there will be a 2-3% discount.

For example if you make a US$1500 deposit your CC might charge $1535 to your account. If on the same day you cancelled and the deposit was refunded the 'exchange' rate on the transaction as displayed on the CC statement would be different and the US$1500 might be refunded as $1465

That is how the currency exchanges make money. Don't need a service fee just a difference in price if buying or selling. So total difference is say $1500 x 5% = $75. US<- ->CAD currency trade with a narrow spread. Some currency transactions the spread is much larger. Cash vs. cc vs. cheque, etc all have different spreads as well

While it is a quibble, it is $75 lost for nothing other than being able to hold booking for a while. I prefer to give it to charity than to toss it away for that.

My loss is somewhat hidden and does not apply to US account holders. O seems to agree that it will discourage others by instituting their $100 ($200) policy.

There are always people out there gaming the system. We had a couple claim to book inside cabins and if they don't get an upgrade offer, cancel the cruise.

I'm booked on Viking Oceans in April of 2015 and they want full payment by 12/31/13.

Oceania thinks they have it under control. That's why they offer half price reservations and maintain wait lists and seem to fill the ships. I guess they may even keep track of cancellations and prevent abuse.

I am talking about the cost of buying then selling the US currency. When you make the $1500 deposit you 'purchase' $US. That costs 2-3%. If you cancel and get refund you will be 'selling' $US and there will be a 2-3% discount.

That is why we got a TD USD VISA card

I can buy USD when the rates are good then pay the cruise with our USD VISA & we avoid the 2-3% hidden fee on our CAD VISA card

Lyn

To Kimanjo,

I agree it's the policy now and that's what it is, however I think the penalty is way to low at this point. "O" lost two of my cruises to another company because I couldn't get the suite I wanted only to have people cancelled much later that opened up that suite---I like to plan ahead and don't really want to be on a wait list just because someone can't make up their mind which cruise they want to go on.

Rick

While they did indeed would have lost selling the cruise to you, O likely did not lose selling two cabins period. You were the one who lost the O cruise experience preferring to take another line and O lost the pleasure of having you aboard.

I must add ronrick that like you I want to plan ahead so I would not have waited, watching for a possible opening. wait list is an option but not one for me now. I too would have moved on (maybe or may be not to another line, perhaps to another sailing, perhaps to a land trip, ... )

O just might have made more money by this 'overbooking. If rather than booking on another line you had paid the deposit on a wait list like it seems many do, when a cabin became available and offered to those on the wait list it is priced at the time it becomes available and earlier promotions / discounts may well have been removed. I have seen the 50% reduced to 25% off for example.

Most cruise lines reduce at the last minute to fill empty cabins. Reading other boards on CC there is so much confusion and animosity over this - why can't I gt a reduction, I booked too early and now paid too much , can I rebook and get the lower fare, etc, etc, etc

O on the other hand overbooks at the start and then through incentives moves pax to sailings with available cabins (or ones that their revenue dept believes will not sell out at that point).

So whatever that costs then it is: a. hidden from the rest of those on the oversold boat (no discount for new pax making early bookers angry); b. occasionally decrease discounts & removes OBC etc promotions so wait list pay more so it helps to defray cost.

Using that marketing strategy I think O has to be careful to not make the penalty for cancellation too large or kick in too soon. While they want to encourage earlier cancellation so they have more time to fill those slots as this new policy is trying to do ( and therefore also have to offer less incentive to make the openings) I don't think it will help them at all if they discourage the practice entirely. I think they only want to make it easier and cheaper for them to make the openings for those on wait list but not to discourage early booking to the point that they get fewer wait list.

Bear in mind too on most main stream lines GTYs are sold at a discount in return for not being able to choose a cabin but get run of house. On O there is no reduction, just the guarantee you will be on it. I don't think O would want to reduce overbooking and loose those GTY bookings.

Not sure what you mean by "read more into it? -- seems clear to me

"Appreciate all the support for this policy.

FDR"

The folks who do these multiple bookings with intent to cancel (discourage the "multiple booking but i'll cancel one of them practice") are causing him to think about making the penalties for cancellation steeper (should the penalty be 10% rather than $100?).

Straightforward. Not reading anything into it. It says what it says in crystal clear fashion. FDR is never ambiguous. LOL

I would like to remind you of a previous post in another thread that you made that FDR felt compelle to comment on. It sure reads to me like he was unhappy with your post there.

"Pacheco 18- absolutely NOT TRUE. Not even close.

Disappointed you authoritatively state as fact something so far from the truth.

I really ask, as a favor not to me, but to your fellow cruisers, not to try so hard appearing to be in the know when you are obviously NOT!"

FDR

One thing has nothing to do with the other

He said what he said on this thread

What part of it don't u get?

He is troubled by those who book with intent to cancel. He is wondering about making penalties stiffer.

Not remotely ambiguous

If I'm wrong I'm sure he will correct me. Lol

That is why we got a TD USD VISA card

I can buy USD when the rates are good then pay the cruise with our USD VISA & we avoid the 2-3% hidden fee on our CAD VISA card

Lyn

Well I have a US credit card too (RBC), but prefer to use my CDN Amex and get Aeroplan points. And then again, if I used the American card, I'd still have to move the money down thgere and pay the conversion fee, so I wouldn't gain anything.

Well I have a US credit card too (RBC), but prefer to use my CDN Amex and get Aeroplan points. And then again, if I used the American card, I'd still have to move the money down thgere and pay the conversion fee, so I wouldn't gain anything.

You still pay the conversion fee on AMEX don't you??

It is a trade off I guess ..I lose the points on my CAD VISA but I am not charged the extra 2.5% hidden FTF on the USD VISA (based in Canada)

Either way you lose someplace :D

It is a personal choice on how you base the value

A couple years ago we had a cruise booked, then the maiden voyage of the Marina was announced. We couldn't afford both, so immediately changed our reservation to the Marina voyage because DH was so excited to participate in a maiden voyage. That was well before the 120-150 day time frame noted here, but it could be classified as the same situation. We didn't book the first cruise intending to cancel, but as some others have stated here, things happen.

It seems to me this is simply a question of actions/consequences. Being willing to take responsibility for our actions, as long as the consequences are clearly stated how can we complain? I understand O's need to manage their bookings, and feel it is fair. A cancellation fee is reasonable. $100 per passenger is not onerous on those who really NEED to change/cancel but is, at least, a dis-incentive for those who book multiple cruises intending to cancel one, or more. In our case, even if we had to pay the $100 per person cancellation, we probably would have done so, and happily.

I would like to remind you of a previous post in another thread that you made that FDR felt compelle to comment on. It sure reads to me like he was unhappy with your post there.

"Pacheco 18- absolutely NOT TRUE. Not even close.

Disappointed you authoritatively state as fact something so far from the truth.

I really ask, as a favor not to me, but to your fellow cruisers, not to try so hard appearing to be in the know when you are obviously NOT!"

FDR

I think this quote from FDR really speaks for itself!!! LuAnn

I think this quote from FDR really speaks for itself!!! LuAnn

FDR - I'm good with a 10% penalty. Especially if it can be FCC.

I would never consider multiple booking with no intent to execute; airline, hotel, rental car or cruise. Changing plans to get on a maiden voyage is not the same thing.

Good Day Mr. Del Rio - I agree with your new policy. I'm not sure 10% is appropriate. $200 or $300 might be deterrent enough but not so much as to feel punitive. Obviously the present $100 should stand for a couple of years.

Right now, the $100 is payable if you cancel 180 - 151 days prior to departure. If this is a new policy, then perhaps Hotelnerd is right. Or change it slightly. I bet that O could massage the numbers to see where there is the most "leakage". Is it longer trips? More expensive accommodation? Maybe that should be factored in? Don't want to discourage good customers but wouldn't $100 be insignificant to people who get very expensive accommodation?

Perhaps it should be a percentage. How about 1%?

Currently, according to our invoice, if you cancel 60 days or less from the cruise date, you lose 100% of full fare.

Interesting about wait list -

Waitlist bookings once cleared have 48 hours to cancel without penalty from time of clearance. If the cleared waitlist booking is not cancelled within this 48 hour period, normal cancellation fees will apply.

Can this thread be summed up as "How much should selfishness cost" It seems that people who can't plan ahead want to have a infinitesimally small penalty for making the cruise line and potential passengers lose revenue/wait while they try to get their ducks in a row.

I just found out that there is a $100pp admin fee charged if a cruise is canceled 30 days prior to final payment date. The customer service rep at Oceania said this was a newer policy so I thought I would pass it along. If this is old news sorry!!

I would like to go back to this very first post. I took Hypercafe's comment at face value.

My invoice says that "The following cancellation charges will be assessed for all cancellations received prior to departure up to the scheduled time of departure."

There is a table on my invoice including this: 60 days or less prior to departure - 100% of full fare for my cruise of more than 15 days.

Just looked at the Oceania FAQ (hidden under Guest Services at the top of the webpage) and it is the same.

Hypercafe, the fee is not $100 for cancelling 30 days before the cruise! It is full fare.

So we are talking about an ADMIN fee for moving from one itinerary / departure to another or cancelling early (5-6 months before the departure), right? And no penalty if you cancel earlier than that.

So the issue for me is: if you cancel before the $100 fee window (180 - 151 days prior to departure), there is no penalty. Possible solution: extend that $100 admin fee to all bookings prior to 151 days.

And now the comment about cancelling multiple bookings is clear. Surely, O doesn't accept overlapping bookings? If it does, then.... well, it is just silly!

BTW, I am in Canada, in case there is a difference.

And folks, I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong!

Frances

who is looking forward to her March 2014 cruise!

Can this thread be summed up as "How much should selfishness cost" It seems that people who can't plan ahead want to have a infinitesimally small penalty for making the cruise line and potential passengers lose revenue/wait while they try to get their ducks in a row.

You have summed it up perfectly.

Archived