WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

Where were these studies conducted? America? Where tipping is considered so compulsory it's added to the bill, or considered a part of the budget of any meal out, where people who do not tip, or who tip less than the "standard" are considered "cheap"? In America tipping, or the lack of it seems to be instantly a reflection on the CUSTOMER and not the employee. Of course a study done in America would show the level of service is not reflected in the value of tips. I bet the same study conducted in any place where tipping its a bonus (Australia for example) will show that the number of tips is highly related to the level of service. Tips are only for exceptional service and definitely based on the employee, and not tipping certainly doesn't reflect badly on the customer...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Have you been to the United States?

Added to the bill? Really?

So as an American you've never been given a credit card slip with the tip section pre done (presumably as a convenience for the customer so they don't have to work out the percentages)? I guess I've been mis informed. The point still stands - tipping is so ingrained in American society that the vast majority of people wouldn't even consider not tipping no matter what the service is like. Not tipping isn't viewed as a reflection of the standard of service, but a reflection on how "cheap" the customer is.

On our last cruise we paid our gratuities on our account and that seemed to work fine . We tipped the suite steward and head waiter and maitre d the suggested gratuity and a bit more . But our regular table waiter was awful so we did give him gratuity but only a small amount as we didn't feel he deserved it .

Some people may frown on this but I'm sorry he really did not deserve it !!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

O.K.....so you're saying you paid your $12 person/day and then you gave a fair

amt of extra cash you to your service *except* your waiter to whom you only gave a small amt of extra cash........sounds fine to me......that's how it should work.....you done good :D

What service charge?

Don't be pedantic. You know they mean gratuities

:-)

Obviously they are referring to the "On Board Service Charge" listed on invoices which is the pre paid gratuities which I explained in post #49.

So as an American you've never been given a credit card slip with the tip section pre done (presumably as a convenience for the customer so they don't have to work out the percentages)? I guess I've been mis informed. The point still stands - tipping is so ingrained in American society that the vast majority of people wouldn't even consider not tipping no matter what the service is like. Not tipping isn't viewed as a reflection of the standard of service, but a reflection on how "cheap" the customer is.

I wouldn't tip in a restaurant if the service was bad and I would remove the tips on a cruise if I felt the person didn't earn them. Once in a restaurant the service was so bad, on the tip line of the receipt I wrote a little note instead of a dollar amount. I know the receipts have to be turned in at the end of the night so I knew a manager would see the note. Of course this is the exception as I very rarely find service to be this bad.

And while I do find auto tips to be convenient, I would remove them if the service was that bad. I see this also as the exception as I think this would not be necessary 99% of the time. I did read a post on one of the boards where someone said in a review that the room steward wasn't doing what he should and when questioned he said he was too tired to do these things. This would have been a circumstance where tips would have been affected. I am not one that thinks tips are automatic but on the same hand I find it a rarity that the person didn't earn them.

And no never one time have I ever received a credit card receipt with the tip line filled in by the server. I would complain to a manager if this ever happened. I work for a large restaurant company and I don't feel cheap not tipping if the service is bad.

Edited by BeachChik

I wouldn't tip in a restaurant if the service was bad and I would remove the tips on a cruise if I felt the person didn't earn them. Once in a restaurant the service was so bad, on the tip line of the receipt I wrote a little note instead of a dollar amount. I know the receipts have to be turned in at the end of the night so I knew a manager would see the note. Of course this is the exception as I very rarely find service to be this bad.

And while I do find auto tips to be convenient, I would remove them if the service was that bad. I see this also as the exception as I think this would not be necessary 99% of the time. I did read a post on one of the boards where someone said in a review that the room steward wasn't doing what he should and when questioned he said he was too tired to do these things. This would have been a circumstance where tips would have been affected. I am not one that thinks tips are automatic but on the same hand I find it a rarity that the person didn't earn them.

And no never one time have I ever received a credit card receipt with the tip line filled in by the server. I would complain to a manager if this ever happened. I work for a large restaurant company and I don't feel cheap not tipping if the service is bad.

Chik if I may, what is the basic hourly rate for the waiters?

And we will pay more for the same meal in a non- tipping country.

Last year in Rome, just past the busy season, many of the restaurants were trying to drum up business with signs declaring, No service charge!!!!!" We also pay a higher price for sitting down with our coffee/wine/nibbles.

In the long run, it all evens out.

iMNSVHO, what you write about a staffer is more consequential than the amount you tip. It is what it is. Those who believe the cruise staff are being treated shabbily, as well as those convinced the cruise line doesn't give our gratuities to the staff ... well, maybe you should consider foregoing cruise vacations.

Our prepaid gratuity is about 5% of the fare. Big whoop.

What is 'iMNSVHO' please?

Some restaurants add the tip to the bill under certain conditions, such as a large party, but that is the exception.

No! In heavy tourist areas I've seen that stated that for very large parties that it may be added. But it's never been done.

You didn't answer the question. Have you ever been to the United States?

I've spent about 5 weeks land time during the last 1 1/2 years in Australia eating in restaurants the entire time - different ones, different cities and I can tell you that you have absolutely no idea what restaurant service is. This country doesn't have numbered table service in 99% or more of the restaurants and they certainly don't have prefilled water bottles that the customer must retrieve themselves.

If you add 20% to the cost of the average meal out in this country it will be far less than the cost of eating out with NO tip in your country. That is a fact. Not hearsay.

That being said, I love Australia, I love the Australian people, I don't enjoy the typical Australian restaurant style. But Australian coffee blows American drip coffee out of the water. :)

Gina

PS, Yes, we ALWAYS tip. If the service is poor which it rarely is, we would tip a very small amount to send a message. We dine out regularly....notice the word dine....because we don't simply eat out. And the service is very good to more often, better than very good well over 99% of the time.

Edited by mommabean

It is different in different states. But the requirement in all states is that if the minimum wage isn't made up in tips, the employer is required to pay the rest. So ALL waiters make the minimum living wage, what many of you call a living wage. It would be very rare for a waiter to not make the minimum wage in tips but they will never walk away with less. A really good waiter will make more than minimum wage - possible much more. There are restaurants where the tips are so great that waiters have intentionally made careers there. Try going to New Orleans and see how long waiters stick with a particular restaurant. Go to Mr. B's specifically and ask how long some of the waiters have been working there.

Of course you can go to TGIFridays and ask the kid who's working there for his summer job how long he's been there. :rolleyes: But you'll still likely get pretty good service from him. And he's still making minimum wage and NOT supporting a family. He's just putting gas in the car.

Gina

It varies by state by runs around $3-$4 per hour in a tipped position such as a server. But the law requires that they must make at least the state minimum wage. So if for example Susie works in Florida and does not average $7.79 (fl current minimum wage) per hour with her claimed tips then the company she works for must pay her the difference. So while the hourly rate for servers is low they are guaranteed the minimum wage for whatever state they are in. Though companies hate having to pay this differential so if you continue to have to be paid through the company for not making enough tips, you probably won't be a server for long.

Edited by BeachChik

No! In heavy tourist areas I've seen that stated that for very large parties that it may be added. But it's never been done.

I've spent about 5 weeks land time during the last 1 1/2 years in Australia eating in restaurants the entire time - different ones, different cities and I can tell you that you have absolutely no idea what restaurant service is. This country doesn't have numbered table service in 99% or more of the restaurants and they certainly don't have prefilled water bottles that the customer must retrieve themselves.

If you add 20% to the cost of the average meal out in this country it will be far less than the cost of eating out with NO tip in your country. That is a fact. Not hearsay.

That being said, I love Australia, I love the Australian people, I don't enjoy the typical Australian restaurant style. But Australian coffee blows American drip coffee out of the water. :)

Gina

PS, Yes, we ALWAYS tip. If the service is poor which it rarely is, we would tip a very small amount to send a message. We dine out regularly....notice the word dine....because we don't simply eat out. And the service is very good to more often, better than very good well over 99% of the time.

Brilliant post.....I feel it fully justified my post #3. Which I repeat!

"We know! There is nothing you can do about it. It's none of your business anyway. I always tip extra......cultural differences. Can you wear shorts while you are stiffing staff in the MDR. Do you pay them in euros? Maybe there can be a public announcement of those who remove their tips from their sea pass. They shouldn't be allowed to cruise. We end up paying more. Oops that's none of MY business. Choose another line cheapo! I believe the coffe is awful. I hate threads about threads."

Momma. You touched on most of my points......seriously!

My buddy is on the AOS at the moment and has a friend in GS.

On the current AOS sailing at 11.59pm last night (9 days into the 12 day cruise) 124 people (not staterooms) had asked for all gratuities to be removed from their Seapass accounts. His friend at GS said they also expect more people to request this tommorrow (the last day before disembarkation) as people tend to do it last minute as they assume their stateroom attendant/waiter/asst waiter won't find out (that's shocking and dishonest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - that makes my blood boil :mad:)

Interestingly she did say that despite this happening with sometimes up to 400 passengers per cruise, there are now a lot more gratuities being paid than under the old system. Many more people would not pre-pay gratuities and then not pay anything in cash while on the cruise under the old way of administering gratuities. She said the worst cruises for this used to be the 6 day Caribbean sailings.

WOW ! :eek:

Personally, I am not bothered if people withdraw their gratuities. Yes it can be seen as immoral, but what I care about the most is if I pay it or not.

The auto tips, at least on other cruise lines, are called a "service charge."

I think that's what my bill said on our recently completed RCCL cruise.

I'm not sure how it works on RCCL, but on NCL some of the service charge goes to people behind the scenes who do not ordinarily receive tips.

Service charge is a more accurate description. I do believe this is a large part of employee compensation. As others have said, it keeps the base price of the cruise down and we all benefit from that. I think that the recent addition of the service charge indicates some recalculation of crew compensation.

We give those who perform over and beyond expectations an extra tip. Others we do not as the autotip is sufficient.

How do we all benefit? This is not like a specialty restaurant where you have a choice to use it or not and be subject to the extra fee or not. If the base fare is lower and a service charge is added or the base fare is increased and there is no service charge it comes out exactly the same. The only party that benefits is the cruise line that gets to advertize a lower base fare in order to entice folks to book who otherwise might have been turned off if the total bottom line of the package was staring them in the face.

Personally, I am not bothered if people withdraw their gratuities. Yes it can be seen as immoral, but what I care about the most is if I pay it or not.

Well said . :). The only thing you need be concerned about, and the only thing you have any control over.

It varies by state by runs around $3-$4 per hour in a tipped position such as a server. But the law requires that they must make at least the state minimum wage. So if for example Susie works in Florida and does not average $7.79 (fl current minimum wage) per hour with her claimed tips then the company she works for must pay her the difference. So while the hourly rate for servers is low they are guaranteed the minimum wage for whatever state they are in. Though companies hate having to pay this differential so if you continue to have to be paid through the company for not making enough tips, you probably won't be a server for long.

I almost said your last line but didn't. :)

Since I would guess the majority of people add their tip on and pay with a credit card, I suspect reported tips are higher than they used to be. We personally still prefer, in most cases, to tip in cash even if we pay the bill with a credit card.

So basically, if someone is under reporting their tips to that extreme they won't have a job long. Or if they provide such poor service they don't make enough in tips, they won't have a job long. I see nothing wrong with that. Good, honest service should be rewarded....with a tip and a job. ;)

Gina

This sounds nice on the surface.

I'm a bit bothered by the mistreatment of other people. That's why I educate myself about cultural differences before I go to another country. This includes knowing the tipping culture of that country or cruise line and abiding by it to the best of my ability. I feel sad that others think what they do in their own country is what they should do in other countries or on the ship. If this means it bothers me...because I feel bad or sad about it...OK, it bothers me. I'm not ashamed of that.

Gina

And by it's never been done, I mean it's never been done to us.

Gina

This sounds nice on the surface.

I'm a bit bothered by the mistreatment of other people. That's why I educate myself about cultural differences before I go to another country. This includes knowing the tipping culture of that country or cruise line and abiding by it to the best of my ability. I feel sad that others think what they do in their own country is what they should do in other countries or on the ship. If this means it bothers me...because I feel bad or sad about it...OK, it bothers me. I'm not ashamed of that.

Gina

Ermmmm... how is withrawing gratuity seen as mistreatment?

If I go the US and eat in a restaurant and the service is poor to very poor, are you saying because the US has a tipping culture that I must tip for a poor service?

I almost said your last line but didn't. :)

Since I would guess the majority of people add their tip on and pay with a credit card, I suspect reported tips are higher than they used to be. We personally still prefer, in most cases, to tip in cash even if we pay the bill with a credit card.

So basically, if someone is under reporting their tips to that extreme they won't have a job long. Or if they provide such poor service they don't make enough in tips, they won't have a job long. I see nothing wrong with that. Good, honest service should be rewarded....with a tip and a job. ;)

Gina

Exactly. I don't know how it works on a cruise ship but in a restaurant it is really easy to see who is not claiming cash tips. If Susie is averaging 20% on credit card tips but only 10% in cash tips, its not a stretch to say that she is pocketing cash tips and not claiming them. And I know the company that I work for pulls information each pay period to see which servers are not meeting the minimum wage requirements. If it is the same people over and over it is only one of two options, one they are a crappy server or two they are lying on what they have received as cash tips. Either way its not an employee that will be around long.

I assume that cruise ships work similar. They probably track how many get full auto tips, those that have guests that remove tips and how much the employee claims in cash tips.

Edited by BeachChik

My son works at port everglades and got talking to some RCI crew and bartenders about the new auto pay gratuities. The crew actually do not like this because they say that even the slackers (crew) get tipped. The good ones feel slighted now. Just reporting what was said.

I travel quite a bit, and know when I go into countries that do not tip, there isn't a lot of incentive for great customers service.

We were also told this by a few RCCL crew members on our May cruise on Freedom. They actually prefer the cash tips instead of the auto tips. I pesonally can't blame them.

We were also told this by a few RCCL crew members on our May cruise on Freedom. They actually prefer the cash tips instead of the auto tips. I pesonally can't blame them.

I was told the same thing but many here do not want to hear that!!