WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

I am just off Enchantment and asked around in dining services and housekeeping. The tips are NOT pooled, either in auto gratuities or cash. They feel they are being fairly compensated and getting exactly what is stated on the forms - RCI isn't messing it up. If you choose to tip all cash, they keep every bit - not a dollar is turned in or pooled. If you claim bad service and don't tip, they get nothing. Certainly they don't then get something from the "pool" because there is none.

Well, that would explain why I haven't found any tips in the pools yet.

AHOY SHIPMATES

I lead a very boring life when I'm not cruising so I spend a lot of

time surfing the threads ...overall pretty interesting.

In the NAVY we had a rule in the Wardroom. There were 3

Topics that were Taboo. Never discuss SEX RELIGION or POLITICS

I 'm beginning to think TIPPING might be part of the list here.

It comes up so often with all the same comments etc. Everyone

has the right to believe what they want ....and many good reasons

on both sides..based on past experiences, economic status, and

guliability

not meant to be critical of anyone it's a personal

decision.

Gary

AHOY SHIPMATES

I dont know how to bump so please read my post- 80 on page 4 of this thread

If you are suggesting that tipping should not be discussed on CC, then all I can say is, I understand why you are suggesting this, but it just isn't going to happen. I would be shocked if a day goes by that someone doesn't start a new tipping thread. Most eventually turn in to flame wars and for the most part I just avoid them.

That said, I do agree with those that say (in so many words) tipping is a personal thing and what someone else tips is none of my business and what I tip is nobody else's concern.

What??? There's a problem with the tipping system? Who knew? :rolleyes:

Only the people on Cruise Critic. ;) Funny thing is, I have some pretty close friends who bartend, etc, on cruise ships. Someone should probably tell them there is a problem. :rolleyes:

Only the people on Cruise Critic. ;) Funny thing is, I have some pretty close friends who bartend, etc, on cruise ships. Someone should probably tell them there is a problem. :rolleyes:

The crew is always the last to know - right after the customer service reps. :)

The crew is always the last to know - right after the customer service reps. :)

If the crew would spend more time reading these boards then they would find out what their problems are in a much more timely manner.

Up to 400 people out of 3, 4, 5000 isn't a lot.

I don't really get the obsession people have with what other people do or what the crew makes. If the cruise line really wanted to stop it they could simply make it a non removable service charge but clearly they want to leave it up to the discretion of each guest. And per your own post, they said more people pay now than before. Unless it becomes mandatory there will always be people that remove tips. That is the risk you take when accepting a tipped position. No different that a server at your local restaurant. Every table does not tip. It's just the way it works. It's not my business how other people chose to spend their money.

Agree 100%. Some people have too much idle time

I would like to see the daily tips become non-removable!! Then those who are cheap will either have to pay the tips or not cruise with Royal Caribbean.

I confess I did not read past this post--will do it later but I did want to note my thoughts...esp. for those who say non-tipping is a private/personal choice...

I agree with above comment. Those who do not tip the suggested minumum or remove them, have an affect on everyone-- it can lead to poor service & bad morale...

I confess I did not read past this post--will do it later but I did want to note my thoughts...esp. for those who say non-tipping is a private/personal choice...

I agree with above comment. Those who do not tip the suggested minumum or remove them, have an affect on everyone-- it can lead to poor service & bad morale...

Well, since most of the post have not been about not tipping but rather tipping the "old fashioned" way your issue of poor service and bad morale should not really be a concern.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I decided I no longer give a rats behind. I will prepay my tips and they can toss them in the pool and get them soaking wet as far as I care. :rolleyes:

If by chance someone goes above and beyond, they may get some spare change or some two dollar bills so they remember me. :D

Hello, I'm new on here, and I'm about to go on first RCCI cruise (have done 4 cruises previously but not with RCCI).

I have asked to have my pre-paid tips removed. In my humble opinion, RCCI have this system so they can compete more effectively, and then we are making up the difference in staff payments. I of course will tip good service, I always do this in restaurants etc, but I want to choose who I give my money to.

Prepaying is a bit like giving my daughter 1000 A* at GCSE before she's revised or completed a paper, and then saying "you failed them all but have them anyway"

I would hate to think others are making up for me being mean. I'm self employed, no one pays me in advance :D

Hello, I'm new on here, and I'm about to go on first RCCI cruise (have done 4 cruises previously but not with RCCI).

I have asked to have my pre-paid tips removed. In my humble opinion, RCCI have this system so they can compete more effectively, and then we are making up the difference in staff payments. I of course will tip good service, I always do this in restaurants etc, but I want to choose who I give my money to.

Prepaying is a bit like giving my daughter 1000 A* at GCSE before she's revised or completed a paper, and then saying "you failed them all but have them anyway"

I would hate to think others are making up for me being mean. I'm self employed, no one pays me in advance :D

I disagree, all should start with an A, if it is maintained then it stays, if not you can then have it adjusted. However, without the minimums, the dishwasher down below would never get a nickle.

K

I decided I no longer give a rats behind. I will prepay my tips and they can toss them in the pool and get them soaking wet as far as I care. :rolleyes:

If by chance someone goes above and beyond, they may get some spare change or some two dollar bills so they remember me. :D

I don't know that I would say it exactly like that but that's my position also. There is a system of compensation in place that is well published and very clear. Why in the world would I want to insert myself between the employer and employee and decide who gets paid how much. They have tried to prevent people trying to manage compensation by automatically applying the gratuities but there will also be people that want to have that control (not saying it is wrong, just not what I want)

Last last thing I want to worry about on a cruise is what the staff are paid. I just don't think it is any of my business.

I will say I do not consider them "tips" in the traditional sense. It really is more of a service charge. And a very reasonable one at that. I figure for less than the cost of 2 drinks per day, I receive exceptional service every minute of every day. What a bargain!

I disagree, all should start with an A, if it is maintained then it stays, if not you can then have it adjusted. However, without the minimums, the dishwasher down below would never get a nickle.

K

In the college course I teach, the students have to earn an 'A' i.e. produce good work and get rewarded - just like in real life - on land anyway!;)

Why would/should I care what you do, none of my business. But, since you have to post about it here you must feel guilty about what you are doing and you are looking for some to say its ok:rolleyes:

Why would/should I care what you do, none of my business. But, since you have to post about it here you must feel guilty about what you are doing and you are looking for some to say its ok:rolleyes:

:confused: its just my opinion. Sorry I won't post anymore. hanks for your other comments.

:confused: its just my opinion. Sorry I won't post anymore. hanks for your other comments.

Ifoundmydream - you'll find people on here don't like opinions if it doesn't agree with theirs.

They don't just give their opinion back - on top of this they have to flame you and shoot yours down.

You'll have a much nicer experience on your first RCCL cruise :-)

Have a GREAT time

There is rumor of a list of names of people who have tips removed. Can anyone confirm?

Absolutely. I have a friend, whose uncle works with somebody who has a cousin who went on a cruise and was told by somebody in the Concierge Lounge that their waiter told them that he knew who removed their prepaid tips.:eek:

Well, since most of the post have not been about not tipping but rather tipping the "old fashioned" way your issue of poor service and bad morale should not really be a concern.

Isn't this assuming that every person (not just those who post on CC) who removes gratuities is actually paying the same amount in cash?

Do the staff actually know whether or not you have paid tips in advance :eek:

Hi, we recently returned from a 7 day Med cruise on the Navigator, all of the staff knew that their tips are now automatically guaranteed, perhaps this was the reason why we received by far the worst service that we have ever had on any cruise, and we have done quite a few. our food was continually cold, and their attitude was very poor,they did't really want to be there. Despite our continual complaints, our table of 8 didn't get a visit from the head waiter until the very last night. but they all still got their full gratuity, this can't be right.!

WE were on our vacation so we did not not want to spend our valuable time cueing at the customer desk complaining every day.

We have never failed to tip the full amount when we had the envelopes system in the past. but now it seems the staff have little incentive.

This new system might get money in the bank for rccl in the short term, but without doubt it will loose them a lot of customers in the near future.

Ifoundmydream - you'll find people on here don't like opinions if it doesn't agree with theirs.

They don't just give their opinion back - on top of this they have to flame you and shoot yours down.

You'll have a much nicer experience on your first RCCL cruise :-)

Have a GREAT time

Totally agree with Ticktoneer. I hope you really enjoy your cruise - have no idea why some people on this site can't just let people discuss topics without having a go at them - please don't stop posting as some threads are okay and very helpful.