Best store for bathing suit?

After a 40 lb weight loss, I'm in desperate need of new bathing suits.

The good news is I can shop at most stores. But my ego is still somewhat fragile and bathing suit shopping is the worst.

Where is the best place to start?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You have to realize that you actually look about 10 times better when you're NOT in the dressing room....so if a suit fits, then take it home! Try it in natural light! As long as you don't remove any tags, you can usually return it.

Bathing suit shopping sucks for everyone! With you having lost all that weight, you should be excited to try things on!!!!

I am a fan of Everything But Water. My experiences there have been positive. They gently live by the "you can doesn't mean you should" motto and will give honest advice in a non-judgemental way and offer alternates. They found me a bathing suit I never would have chosen on my own and asked me to just give it a try--wow, they were spot on and it looks amazing on me!

I found 2 new suits this year at JCPenney, both on sale. I got one in the store, they didn't have the other in the color I wanted in my size, but I knew what my size was so I ordered it on-line and they delivered it to the store free (plus I had a coupon code for the website so I got it really cheap).

Congratulations on your weight loss! That is very impressive!

I second Lands End -- I'm a bigger girl (border between 16/18 in their suits) and I love them! I was in my local Sears a couple of weeks ago and they still had quite a few suits in their Lands End section, so they should still be out.

You may also want to try some of the discount stores like Marshall's or T.J. Maxx. They usually have a TON of bathing suits in all styles and you have a lot of options to go through.

Good luck!

Congrats on your weight loss! I lost a great deal of weight this year and had to rebuild my entire wardrobe. Including bathing suits, as I have a sailing trip planned at the end of July. I shop where I shop for regular clothes, and according to my shape & special needs (large breasts) and style. And thrift stores, same as I've been doing the past year as I lost 60lbs. I got a couple of cute suits on sale at the Tommy Bahama outlet. Some mix & match separates at SwimSuitOutlet online. A couple at a thrift store when I was on travel/ working in Austin Texas (Miraclesuit!). And one from Lands End (who was my go-to when I was bigger as well). A speedo for the pool at the gym from Costco.

Congratulations in your weight loss! I'm not sure what type you are looking for, but I am a huge fan of athleta (online) suits. They are a bit spendy, but last a while. I am in my 40's and live by the ocean - so I appreciate a suit that an hold up in salt water and cover the backside as well:)

I actually just got a swimsuit I ordered from Lane Bryant today. I'm a bigger girl and it's a two piece, so I will be in the gym from now until my cruise. It fits but not as well as I want it to.

Congrats on the weight loss - I hope to be where you are very soon.

I got my new suit this year at JCPenney, also. Yeah, PURPLE!! They had a lot of plus sizes, I usually wear 1 size bigger in a swimsuit so I don't have unaboob! :eek: I bought board shorts from amazon.com and I am flirting with the idea of picking up a bikini top to go with them. I'm not sure the world is ready for all this juicy goodness! :D;) When I show my coworkers my belly, they all claim to be blinded by the whiteness! :D

Congratulations in your weight loss! I'm not sure what type you are looking for, but I am a huge fan of athleta (online) suits. They are a bit spendy, but last a while. I am in my 40's and live by the ocean - so I appreciate a suit that an hold up in salt water and cover the backside as well:)

Congrats from me on the weight loss. I've gone through that, too (I lost 40 also). Doing bathing suits are always a pain, regardless of what size you happen to be.

I'm also a HUGE fan of Athleta suits. Really, I'm a huge fan of anything Athleta. But, their suits do hold up fantastically well. They offer several different patterns and, within the pattern, a grouping of bikini top, tankini top, several different bottoms to choose from. And they offer a group of solid colors also that can be mixed in with the patterns. I would take a chance and go to their website. See if anything connects with you. The tops come in some variations of style, so you do have to look at both the style and the pattern. I'm in love with the "Ready to Run" group. I have 3 tankini tops, 2 bikini bottoms, 1 swim skirt, and 1 bikini top. The bikini top I actually use as a sports bra!!! I'm on the other side of 50 and I do not feel these suits are too "young" for me. I have an athletic build but have an ample top, but these suits fit me fine.

Their suits are only available online, but are high quality and true to size. There are several on sale right now and they can be returned to you local store. They have bikinis, tankinis and one piece styles.

I am 43 years old and feel that they offer good coverage, and are still very attractive.

I took my patient husband with me to bathing suit shop. He helped me pick out this tankini (my first ever!). http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/tea-at-three-polka-dot-tankini-top

We went with the polkadot skirt because that is the bottom they had at our store. It's really cute.

I need another but that was enough excitement for one day!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am a big fan of Canyon Beachwear. They carry a lot of sizes in store and online and all the two piece suits are sold as separates and a lot of the tops are sized like bra sizes so it makes finding a suit much easier for me.

Archived