(1) Rate confusion and (2) lack of Promenade rooms on RC website

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I wasn't able to find an answer with my usual searches.

(1) Rate confusion:

I am exploring the possibility of booking a cruise *sometime* on the Navigator out of Galveston for my family of four. I do a search, and find a few issues:

(a)
Like cruises are not all grouped together, and I'm not entirely sure why (e.g., the Fal/Cayman/Coz itinerary shows May 2014 - Mar 2015 grouped together and then Feb-Apr 2014 grouped together). Wassup widdat?

(b)
Third and fourth berths have different rates for different sail-dates. This makes the initial listed price misleading. E.g.:

(i)
The May 2014-Mar 2015 grouping of dates shows prices starting from
$519
/pp. That would be the May 11, 2014 sailing. The least expensive room, though, is
$519
for #1 and #2, and
$589
for #3 and #4.
$2,216
base price for the four of us.

(ii)
The Feb-Apr 2014 grouping of dates shows price starting from
$529
/pp. That would be the Mar 30, 2014 sailing. The least expensive room is
$539
for #1 and #2, and
$349
for #3 and #4.
$1,776
base price for the four of us. The Apr 27 sailing lists
$549
minimum, but shows the least expensive room as
$649
for #1 and #2, and
$299
for #3 and #4.
$1,896
total base price.

What gives?

(2) I have tried several dates on the site, from next spring through the end of 2014. I cannot find a single available promenade room for four - the website says they're all sold out. What's the deal?

ETA: I think I may have the answer for the second question: There isn't a single Promenade room that fits more than two guests. Well, that's unfortunate. I mean, is it that difficult to put a couple of Pullmans into one of those rooms? I was thinking that if we booked the Navigator we wouldn't have to pay as much for an Ocean View if we could find an interior with a window. Guess that's not the case after all. :shrug:

The costs change per week depending on the popularity of that sail date. So, it's not "one price fits all"!

You can only have 2 in the PR cabins. There is no room for a rollaway bed...and if the beds that ARE in the cabin won't sleep but 2, then that's all you can book....just the way it is!

(b) Third and fourth berths have different rates for different sail-dates. This makes the initial listed price misleading.

I agree with you that the initial listed price doesn't really show the full picture if you also need to consider the 3rd/4th rate. I don't see there is no shortcut other than doing a mock booking and go through the entire process until the final full price screen.

However, most other mainstream cruiselines do the same thing ... I mean the 3rd and 4th passenger rate is different for different sail dates, different cabin category, of the same ship and ship itinerary ...I suppose it is again demand and supply for different dates and category can be different and the cruiseline CAN charge different 3rd/4th passenger rate, same reason as why they can charge different 1st/2nd rate for different sail date and different category of the same ship and same itinerary.

It does seem like a lot of effort to check prices for third and fourth passengers cruise by cruise, but I do not know how you can avoid that. Demand for 3/4 bookings varies, so prices for 3/4 bookings vary.

Since the price for the 3/4 passengers is sometimes high, have you considered booking two double rooms instead? Many of the PR rooms are connecting cabins and would give you the view you seem to desire. And you'd have more space and an extra bathroom, too.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I wasn't able to find an answer with my usual searches.

(1) Rate confusion:

I am exploring the possibility of booking a cruise *sometime* on the Navigator out of Galveston for my family of four. I do a search, and find a few issues:

(a)
Like cruises are not all grouped together, and I'm not entirely sure why (e.g., the Fal/Cayman/Coz itinerary shows May 2014 - Mar 2015 grouped together and then Feb-Apr 2014 grouped together). Wassup widdat?

(b)
Third and fourth berths have different rates for different sail-dates. This makes the initial listed price misleading. E.g.:

(i)
$519
/pp. That would be the May 11, 2014 sailing. The least expensive room, though, is
$519
for #1 and #2, and
$589
for #3 and #4.
$2,216

(ii)
$529
$539
for #1 and #2, and
$349
for #3 and #4.
$1,776
$549
$649
for #1 and #2, and
$299
for #3 and #4.
$1,896
total base price.

What gives?

(2) I have tried several dates on the site, from next spring through the end of 2014. I cannot find a single available promenade room for four - the website says they're all sold out. What's the deal?

ETA: I think I may have the answer for the second question: There isn't a single Promenade room that fits more than two guests. Well, that's unfortunate. I mean, is it that difficult to put a couple of Pullmans into one of those rooms? I was thinking that if we booked the Navigator we wouldn't have to pay as much for an Ocean View if we could find an interior with a window. Guess that's not the case after all. :shrug:

If you have your heart set on promenade cabins, why not book connecting cabins? There are a bunch of those. As far as pricing, it is normal for prices to be different week to week, it is suppy and demand.

I'd only book connecting if the price diff were minimal - if a 4-berth oceanview is less, we'll book that. The main thing is that my wife needs some sort of window for mild claustrophobia.

As for the difference from week to week, of course I have no problem with the base price for 1st and 2nd changing from week to week, it's just that I have to go through the mock booking process for each date to figure out the 3rd/4th berth.

At least on the Carnival site (to name one), you input the number of pax first thing and the listings adjust accordingly.

Of all demographics, one would think RCI would want to make it easy for *families* to figure out their fares.

The main thing is that my wife needs some sort of window for mild claustrophobia.

If she suffers from mild clastrophobia, then a PR room might not be a good option either. We had one on our last cruise but don't think we'd go that route again. People across can see right in so you end up keeping the curtains closed most of the time. It didn't seem very "bright". It reminded me of being in a mall storefront. It also seemed smaller in size. It is much brighter with an outside.

One suggested is go with a quad guarantee in the highest outside category. Make sure your preferences are set to "automatic upgrade" and maybe you'll end up in a quad balcony. :)

(1) Rate confusion:

(a)

(b)

(i)
$519
$519
for #1 and #2, and
$589
for #3 and #4.
$2,216

(ii)
$529
$539
for #1 and #2, and
$349
for #3 and #4.
$1,776
$549
$649
for #1 and #2, and
$299
for #3 and #4.
$1,896
total base price.

What gives?

It sounds like you have never been on a cruise.

It is perfectly normal for prices to vary.

And every cruiseline highlights the price for 1st/2nd passengers. Only some cabins CAN fit three or four, and if you want those prices, when you are looking at the prices, you DO put in how many are in your party.

If you put in "2 adults, 2 children", then you will see prices for all four passengers.

If you don't put in more than 2, then you won't see the pricing for 3rd or 4th passengers.

It's really not that involved.

Pick a date, look up that cruise.

All of the information that you need is there if you put in the accurate description of your needs.

If you are using the Royal Caribbean website, you should be able to see the legend for the deck plans, which appear when you are looking at specific cruises. There are symbols that appear in the cabins. If there is no symbol, it is a cabin for two. If it has a sofabed (which RC claims is for two, HA!), there will be a triangle in the cabin. If there is one Pullman, there will be an asterisk in the cabin. If there are two Pullmans, there will be a plus sign in the cabin.

As you have been told, but could also see on the deck plans, Promenade cabins are all for two, except for the Family Promenade, which is quite a nice cabin. There are only four on the Freedom.

Sometimes PR category is more expensive than OV. Not unusual at all.

Once again, I'm right! ;) The ones in Feb, March don't go to Falmouth....

Yes they do. Exact same itinerary, same port times and everything. I think I figured out that the groups are separate because there's a 6-day at the beginning of May, and the RC tech team just didn't link the ones before to the ones after. No biggie, just a bit confusing.

If she suffers from mild clastrophobia, then a PR room might not be a good option either. We had one on our last cruise but don't think we'd go that route again. People across can see right in so you end up keeping the curtains closed most of the time. It didn't seem very "bright". It reminded me of being in a mall storefront. It also seemed smaller in size. It is much brighter with an outside.

Good advice.

It sounds like you have never been on a cruise.

It is perfectly normal for prices to vary.

No duh.

And every cruiseline highlights the price for 1st/2nd passengers.

(1) Carnival does not. (2) Norwegian does, but every 3rd/4th berth is identically priced (from what I've found), so there's still no confusion. Lower price for 1st/2nd means lower price overall.

RC makes it more difficult for families to find a good rate.

Only some cabins CAN fit three or four, and if you want those prices, when you are looking at the prices, you DO put in how many are in your party.

If you put in "2 adults, 2 children", then you will see prices for all four passengers.

If you don't put in more than 2, then you won't see the pricing for 3rd or 4th passengers.

It's really not that involved.

Pick a date, look up that cruise.

All of the information that you need is there if you put in the accurate description of your needs.

Wow, you're REALLY pulling out the hand puppets for me, aren't you? :p I would appreciate if you wouldn't respond to me that way. It really comes across as condescending, which I hope you didn't intend.

Here's what I'm finding:

Let's say you are a couple looking for a Royal Caribbean cruise. You go to the website, put in your parameters (excluding number of pax, since you can't do that until you've actually picked a date), and choose the date/itinerary/price combo that works best for you. Simple.

Now let's say you are a family looking for a Royal Caribbean cruise. You go to the website, put in your parameters (excluding number of pax, since you can't do that until you've actually picked a date), and choose the date/itinerary/price combo that works best for you, expecting that the lowest price for the first passenger will be the lowest price overall. But you find that the one listed at $519/pp is actually several hundred dollars more - $440 more, actually, than the one listed at $529, when you EXPECTED the $519 to be $20 less. This is confusing. You realize that, in order to have an accurate price comparison for the set of dates that you are considering, which in our case is quite open because we homeschool, you have to make a mock booking for Every. Single. Sail date. So you either give up, or call a travel agent to do the work for you (which is probably what we'll ultimately do).

So you can see how the website makes it more difficult for families than for couples.

But now let's say you are a family looking for a Carnival cruise. You go to the website, put in your parameters (including number of pax, since it's right there in the initial set of inputs), and choose the date/itinerary/price combo that works best for you. Simple.

Yes, I'm perfectly aware that this is simply an inconvenience, and not something to hire a lawyer or slit my wrists over. That doesn't mean it's not annoying, and it doesn't diminish the fact that families have a more difficult time jumping through hoops than couples on their website.

One suggested is go with a quad guarantee in the highest outside category. Make sure your preferences are set to "automatic upgrade" and maybe you'll end up in a quad balcony. :)

Is there such thing, a quad guarantee? I have never seen it!

It does seem like a lot of effort to check prices for third and fourth passengers cruise by cruise, but I do not know how you can avoid that. Demand for 3/4 bookings varies, so prices for 3/4 bookings vary.

Since the price for the 3/4 passengers is sometimes high, have you considered booking two double rooms instead? Many of the PR rooms are connecting cabins and would give you the view you seem to desire. And you'd have more space and an extra bathroom, too.

Agreed that checking pricing for 3rd and 4th passenger can be tedious. That is where a good travel agent can earn their commission. The pricing is what it is (not much the pax can do about that); the effort to determine the overall cost, can be delegated.

Ray in NH -- not a TA, but have stayed in Holiday Inn :D

I'd only book connecting if the price diff were minimal - if a 4-berth oceanview is less, we'll book that. The main thing is that my wife needs some sort of window for mild claustrophobia.

The Promenade would not really help her. Since it faces a public area and there are cabin windows directly across from you it's like living in public if you keep your drapes open. It's not natural light that enters the window but artificial lights from the promenade area. How would that work with your wifes claustrophobia?

The Promenade would not really help her. Since it faces a public area and there are cabin windows directly across from you it's like living in public if you keep your drapes open. It's not natural light that enters the window but artificial lights from the promenade area. How would that work with your wifes claustrophobia?

I guess I'd have to ask. :shrug: At least at this point I'm just in the research phase.

Agreed that checking pricing for 3rd and 4th passenger can be tedious. That is where a good travel agent can earn their commission. The pricing is what it is (not much the pax can do about that); the effort to determine the overall cost, can be delegated.

I'll agree to that. :)

I agree with that.

also, OP, it sounds like you have been a Carnival cruiser. I think in general Carnival cabins are larger than Royal Caribbean's. for two of us, the few extra square feet in aCarnival cabin are not meaningful to us, and since we like Royal Caribbean much better, it is easy for us to give up a few square feet of room space. OTOH, four of you in a smaller cabin might feel more crowded, all of you might suddenly feel clausterphobic! if the price is close, consider booking two cabins.

Yes they do. Exact same itinerary, same port times and everything. I think I figured out that the groups are separate because there's a 6-day at the beginning of May, and the RC tech team just didn't link the ones before to the ones after. No biggie, just a bit confusing.

In Feb/ March, it does alternating itineries, Falmouth one week, Belize the next. FWIW, I find the easiest thing to do when initially checking prices is to use the TA website that has a gnome in it's ads ;). Available rooms flash on their deck plans, making them easy to find. Then, when I'm ready to book, I go to RCCL's site in case they are offering a better price and so I can deal directly with RCCL and not have to go through TA. Good luck, I hope you find what you want. :)

The reason that there are no pullmans in the promenade cabins is probably because there is not enough room. There is a window sofa that cuts off length from the room.

My kids had this room category on our last cruise. It seems popular so they wanted to try it out. They liked looking out the window but didn't like the fact that the curtain had to be closed most of the time for privacy. The room seemed cramped to me. We wouldn't book this category again.

To another poster: I have seen triple/quad guarantees before. They are rare but I have seen them on the RC website.

Mister, since I travel on all cruise lines, I have experience searching cruises and their on-line booking 'engines'. I agree, RCI's is the worst! It's very complicated and doesn't give a lot of information on each page for comparison for different cruise dates. And yes, their 3rd/4th passengers vary unlike some other cruise lines and are MORE expensive ... huh!

You can try one of the online TA sites for viewing first, for comparisons of prices, knowing that RCI will charge a higher rate for 3rd/4th if the 1st/2nd are higher.

But mostly ... call RCI directly! Last year, while trying to book 2 cabins connecting and one with a 3rd; I wasn't finding any options ... and I knew the date I wanted because we were cruising with other family members. So I called them and they were able to offer me choices that were NOT on-line and at cheaper rates than what I could find on-line anywhere, even not connecting. Their CS is very good and knowledgeable and was able to answer the questions I had, being this was our first RCI cruise although not our first cruise.

Archived